(Topic ID: 284890)

Who will the new American Pinball designer be?

By westofrome

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who will the new American Pinball designer be?”

• Dennis Nordman 71 votes
      55%
    • Ryan McQuaid 10 votes
      8%
    • Mark Ritchie 18 votes
      14%
    • Someone else 29 votes
      23%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original-design (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4sjh2n (resized).jpg
    Dennis-Nordman-collegecab (resized).jpg
    C1A62CF6-273F-4F64-BE1D-93369C515A40 (resized).jpeg

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago

They crushed it on Hot Wheels with the code. Other than continuing to track down the bugs as they come up (which I have found that they have been very responsive with) there's not a lot I would change. Further, all three of their game have different code in terms of the structure, objectives, and risk/reward aspects.

Now, back on topic...I'm excited to see what American comes up with next, new designer or not.

#52 3 years ago

TNA 2.0? What is that? A new pin or a code version?

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

They crushed it on Hot Wheels with the code. Other than continuing to track down the bugs as they come up (which I have found that they have been very responsive with) there's not a lot I would change. Further, all three of their game have different code in terms of the structure, objectives, and risk/reward aspects.
    Now, back on topic...I'm excited to see what American comes up with next, new designer or not.

I admittedly need more time on hot wheels. The theme really is meh for me so it has been hard to hold my attention.

I am also super excited to see what comes from AP. They have a ton of potential and just need the right theme, some good assets, and a fresh outlook. If Joe Balcer is truly gone, it could be the best thing for them in the near term (assuming they can get a new top designer at the helm with vision).
    AP seems to have ironed out most of the original build quality issues, Joe needs to get lead code honors, and a solid theme (sorry by Oktoberfest an shot wheels are just not enough to be excited about) could set them in their way to something really special. Dave B as their tech guy was a great move also.

I am hoping for either a completely original theme with great art, a new designer/fun to shoot layout

OR
    A great and asset rich license.

P.s. contract David Theil on audio. I mean him and Joe have worked together in the past and he is a master on sound.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

TNA 2.0? What is that? A new pin or a code version?

If spooky does another run of TNA it will be considered TNA 2.0. Basically the same as the original with a few changes. Like a vault edition from stern.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

TNA 2.0? What is that? A new pin or a code version

A forthcoming rerun of TNA in a standard sized cabinet with some other refinements. Not sure when exactly it’ll be coming out.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

A forthcoming rerun of TNA in a standard sized cabinet with some other refinements. Not sure when exactly it’ll be coming out.

Hopefully they rethink the pricing. TNA is a very cool game but never felt worth the price for me. It sure is fun though!

Can’t wait to hear what the next AP game is - from any designer!

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hopefully they rethink the pricing. TNA is a very cool game but never felt worth the price for me. It sure is fun though!

Sold well at the previous price and there seems to be ample demand on secondary with limited supply. I would not get hopes up for a reduced price. All others are raising prices so I would assume the same elsewhere

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ramps don’t add that much to the BOM, but if you don’t have them people think they cost thousands.

#59 3 years ago

The new designer at American Pinball will be announced tomorrow. I’ll have info in my American Pinball segment on The Pinball Show.

-David Fix will be a guest on the Super Awesome Pinball Show

-Jeff at TWIP will have additional info as well

#60 3 years ago

I'd love to say Jack Danger but it's likely not. Ryan would be incredible. Second person I would be friends with personally before getting a job in the industry. There are a few others but yeah I would certainly like to see Mark Seidan (Metroid) or Ryan (Sonic).

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

The new designer at American Pinball will be announced tomorrow. I’ll have info in my American Pinball segment on The Pinball Show.

Well this is certainly interesting, looking forward to hearing the details. I'd suspect that whatever game 4 is J.B. has already completed or nearly completed the design for so that should or could make for an interesting twist too.

I really like all 3 of APIs games to date and still absolutely love Houdini. Some people calling for big changes never gave that game a fair chance and also continue to dismiss it while others that it's new to are discovering it's greatness. I plan to own OKT at some point in the future as well.

#62 3 years ago

I could be wrong, but I assume Joe will still be designing for AP. No reason they can’t have two designers.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I could be wrong, but I assume Joe will still be designing for AP. No reason they can’t have two designers.

Then would need a 2nd person coding to keep up with both design teams.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Then would need a 2nd person coding to keep up with both design teams.

rosh and Ferret have both been working on code for American pinball

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Quoted from Coz:

rosh and ferret have both been working on code for American pinball

Someone please answer the question.
    What happened to Joe? Is he leaving or staying?

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Someone please answer the question.
    What happened to Joe? Is he leaving or staying?

I'm sure that will be covered tomorrow. "Keep calm. It's only pinball."

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ferret:

Care to elaborate on that?

Unfortunately you were never going to get a real answer from Hilton on that. We have seen this before, he pops into some new AP thread to attack our games and/or code. Last time, when asked for specifics, he tucked his tail between his legs and left. This time he gives the nonsensical . . .

Quoted from Whysnow:

It does not sound like you actually want the feedback so I see no reason to put the effort in to giving my opinion with a long list of specific examples.

but then writes a small novel. But again, we all know it is not because he believes that we don't want the feedback, since anyone who follows us on Pinside knows we genuinely do and respond to feedback, it's because he has not played the machines enough to know the rules or to know the code, to be able to tell you specifics as to what he likes or does not like about it.

So what you need to understand is he as some kind of a vendetta against AP or maybe it is just me. His attacks are not really about our games since he has spent so little time on them. In his rush to spit out some vitriol, he forgot you are my partner in crime.

I could go find in another thread what is response will be to this post, since I' sure it will be the same we have seen before. However, I just got an email with some feedback on the Houdini beta, and my time would be far better spent looking at meaningful feedback, than wasting more time on Hilton's nonsensical posts.

#68 3 years ago

I voted for Mark Ritchie. I have zero inside information (actually less than zero), but I just love his pins. He's not a prolific designer but all his pins are among my favorites with Indy as my top.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately you were never going to get a real answer from Hilton on that. We have seen this before, he pops into some new AP thread to attack our games and/or code. Last time, when asked for specifics, he tucked his tail between his legs and left. This time he gives the nonsensical . . .

but then writes a small novel. But again, we all know it is not because he believes that we don't want the feedback, since anyone who follows us on Pinside knows we genuinely do and respond to feedback, it's because he has not played the machines enough to know the rules or to know the code, to be able to tell you specifics as to what he likes or does not like about it.
    So what you need to understand is he as some kind of a vendetta against AP or maybe it is just me. His attacks are not really about our games since he has spent so little time on them. In his rush to spit out some vitriol, he forgot you are my partner in crime.
    I could go find in another thread what is response will be to this post, since I' sure it will be the same we have seen before. However, I just got an email with some feedback on the Houdini beta, and my time would be far better spent looking at meaningful feedback, than wasting more time on Hilton's nonsensical posts.

And us Houdini owners are super thankful for that update!

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I voted for Mark Ritchie. I have zero inside information (actually less than zero), but I just love his pins. He's not a prolific designer but all his pins are among my favorites with Indy as my top.

That’s my vote and guess

#71 3 years ago

Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s my vote and guess

That would be Amazing! Instant Buy for me.
    Finger's crossed on Sherlock Holmes.

#72 3 years ago

I voted for Mark Ritchie.

Isn't he working for a different pinball manufacturer ?

LTG : )

#73 3 years ago

On a skew from this thread as a fan of AP games - for your next game coming down the pike:

1. When will you guys start dropping coy hints as to what it is?
    2. Is it animal, vegetable, mineral or plasma related?
    3. Is it something licensed or public domain / home brew?
    4. Will it have monkeys? How about squirrels?

Love your games, AP - just getting torn because if a Godzilla pin comes out this year and I am forced to pick only one machine that may supersede everything.

Hey:
    5. Is it Godzilla? You guys have the light show with dinos thing nailed already .

Thanks for being there and responsive to all of our questions!

#74 3 years ago

I'm incredibly flattered to be one of the options for the rumor mill.

#75 3 years ago

1. Soonish
    2. Yes
    3. Likely
    4. No small animals will be harmed.
    5. Can’t say.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

1. Soonish
    2. Yes
    3. Likely
    4. No small animals will be harmed.
    5. Can’t say.

This place is more fun than a bag of Magic Eight Balls!

Right, Magic Eight Ball?
    (shakes and turns over)
    ASK AGAIN LATER

#77 3 years ago

If they have a new full time designer it's not me. Though I have been talking with them. Give it some time

If its true I'm rooting for Mark Incitti.

#78 3 years ago

I really hope they chose someone that is relatively new to pinball design with fresh ideas. The future of pinball design is bright with guys like Elwin, Meunier, and Danesi. Even though veteran designers like Eddy and Mark Ritchie made great games in the late 80's/90's, I don't necessarily think they are the best choices for game design in 2021 and beyond.

#79 3 years ago

Margaret Hudson

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ferret:

Then you might give Hot Wheels a whirl. It's a fast flowy fan layout.

Thanks!

What about that Sonic Spinball?I loved it and played it all the time with my oldest son who’s 40.The demographics are great for this title and the movie was a huge success with a follow up on the way!You can thank me after you sell the 500 LE’s

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

I'm incredibly flattered to be one of the options for the rumor mill.

The choice should be clear.We want Sonic Spinball

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

To clarify, The Super Awesome Pinball Show will feature David Fix (AP Director of Operations and Marketing) as well as a 'mystery guest.'

Trust me, you don't want to miss this podcast.

#83 3 years ago

It sucks, I haven't played almost a years worth of new games.
    Tmnt, Hot wheels, Heavy Metal, GnR, Avengers, Led Zepp.

Hot Wheels looks like alot of fun. The stop motion animations they got are a riot.
    I think American is on the right track.
    Cant wait to see what's next for them, should be soon?

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom .

#84 3 years ago

Per pingame journal

DENNIS NORDMAN JOINS AMERICAN PINBALL--It is our great honor to announce that Dennis Nordman will serve as our new Senior Game Designer at American Pinball. Joining newly designated contract designer Joe Balcer, Dennis will be available to mentor our young design staff. We are excited to have Dennis join our team and bring his design expertise to American Pinball. Dennis is no stranger to pinball, having designed many pinball games for Bally, Williams, Stern, Multimorphic, Highway Pinball and Whizbang. Dennis will also finish releasing in-progress games in the future that he's been working on under contract with other manufacturers. Dennis is an asset during our new reboot of American Pinball. We look forward to his creative style on both licensed and non-licensed games. -- Dave Fix, Director of Operations & Marketing

#85 3 years ago

Dennis Nordman is the winner!

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Per pingame journal
    DENNIS NORDMAN JOINS AMERICAN PINBALL--It is our great honor to announce that Dennis Nordman will serve as our new Senior Game Designer at American Pinball. Joining newly designated contract designer Joe Balcer, Dennis will be available to mentor our young design staff. We are excited to have Dennis join our team and bring his design expertise to American Pinball. Dennis is no stranger to pinball, having designed many pinball games for Bally, Williams, Stern, Multimorphic, Highway Pinball and Whizbang. Dennis will also finish releasing in-progress games in the future that he's been working on under contract with other manufacturers. Dennis is an asset during our new reboot of American Pinball. We look forward to his creative style on both licensed and non-licensed games. -- Dave Fix, Director of Operations & Marketing

Shocked!

Not at the hire but finding out that Pingame magazine's still around.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Shocked!
    Not at the hire but finding out that Pingame magazine's still around.

Best pinball calendar in the biz! That is if you don’t mind getting it in May. Haha

#88 3 years ago

Great move. Not the ‘young, hungry’ designer I expected, but an excellent hire nonetheless. Nordman designs are fantastic.

#89 3 years ago

Hey everybody - now that the secrets out, we’re posting our next episode a little early. Enjoy our interview with David and Dennis from AP!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Franchi & Dr. Pin are joined by David Fix and Dennis Nordman from American Pinball to reveal their exclusive plans to turn around the pin makers fortunes. Many exciting bombs are dropped! Also we discuss the latest news, rumors, and the additions to our pinball families over the holidays! YAY, NEW PINBALLL! So tune in to the hottest podcast in the world!!

https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/17408108?fbclid=IwAR0BahKwbCEI0qOuWChiW0JkjNyw6VnJtcQndIcOoLRo5_xrbLeSXfev-K4

C1A62CF6-273F-4F64-BE1D-93369C515A40 (resized).jpegC1A62CF6-273F-4F64-BE1D-93369C515A40 (resized).jpeg
    #90 3 years ago

Since it's Dennis, why not revisit the DM layout in a standard body?

#91 3 years ago

Wow! What the heck is Whizbang?

#93 3 years ago

Aha! Thanks Lloyd. I thought Nellie was a Stern original

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This! Cool game but overpriced for what it is, reminds me of Stern Beatles.

#95 3 years ago

I hope this really works out well but what was the last game Nordman actually saw to production? I know a lot of this is/has been out of his control but unless I'm forgetting something he's not gotten one over the finish line in a long time. Best of luck to all involved!

#96 3 years ago

Dennis has been a gun for hire lately.Worked with Stern,Highway Pinball and I believe Deeproot for awhile.I’m guessing he’ll thrive at least for a few titles at American Pinball Oh also Lexy Lightspeed for P3

#97 3 years ago

Great news! Dennis has made great games! Can't wait to see what he comes up with!

#98 3 years ago

I'm glad to see he'll remain active in pinball.

#99 3 years ago

Hopefully AP can bring his games to market faster than some others.

This is also great news because it indicates that AP will keep making pinball. I haven't loved their art direction until HW, but they seem like a company who is going to make something that I'll love very soon.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I hope this really works out well but what was the last game Nordman actually saw to production? I know a lot of this is/has been out of his control but unless I'm forgetting something he's not gotten one over the finish line in a long time. Best of luck to all involved!

Lexy Lightspeed , Elvira’s House of Horrors.

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-will-the-new-american-pinball-designer-be/page/2?hl=nogoodnames222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.