20161013_160430 (resized).jpg
20161013_105938 (resized).jpg
20161013_105947 (resized).jpg
20161013_110015 (resized).jpg
20161013_110313 (resized).jpg
world-war-z (resized).png
Pinside Riot.jpg
IMG_0293 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It will be interesting to see if JJP#3 tries to keep up with Stern pricing madness

So funny. This question would have had the names of the two companies reversed not long ago.

#117 7 years ago

I think JJP has the best opportunity to steal the show.

This is due to the fact that theirs is the only one that is a complete unknown (other than Lawlor being the designer), and it is coming from a pinball company that now has a proven record of being able to manufacture and ship pins in substantial quantity.

It will be a true unveiling and a complete surprise in terms of theme, artwork, playfield layout etc.

You can't say the same thing about pins like Alien as we've seen quite a bit of the artwork and the PF layout (plus Alien was announced so long ago now that a lot of the excitement has dissipated) and a lot of the same applies to BM66.

1 week later
#193 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, now that it is getting closer, JJP is the only horse in the race for show stealing... And even that is tenuous.
Stern can't steal it because they overshot the market. Non-refundable deposit before you even see what the game it? That's just insane. Plus a huge price increase? Ha! I will never buy a machine I don't know anything about ever again. I still say anyone that did deserves a warmed over BDK.
Alien? I'd put them in second place. A great theme, but I have waited too long. It almost feels old. And I'm still not sold on the platform. They would really need to step up.
P3. A dark horse. Their platform is cool... But I want to see production level stuff. Get building them puppies so we can really see what you have.
Dutch. Loved the theme, but I wasn't impressed with the play yet. I definitely would want to tweak one for a while and see if the play improved.
Spooky. Great effort with what you started from, but not great games yet. Ok to play, but didn't make me want to plunk down money. All around it feels 80% to me. Both games just don't gel 100%. Yet I can't figure out why. Almost like hey, hit these shots because those are the shots good games have, keep trying to bring together a cohesive package.
American Pinball. It still feels like a scam to me. Should have kept your mouths shut just a bit longer. A flipping game with rudimentary code would have gone many times farther. Right now I don't even know if you have a running OS. And associating / being JPOP makes you a bad bet.
So Jack. We have known for a long time Pat was doing something (Hi Pat!). We have leaks and stuff, but we really don't know anything except there will be games there to play. So the chance is there for JJP to steal the show, and a buyer chance to bollux up the whole thing.
And to every manufacturer on this list, please build me a game I want to buy. I don't care which one of you does it. Give me something fun to play. Even if I nixed you as possibly stealing the show, steal it anyway. I'll even tell you what I like... Fun. It's not hard. Games have been doing it for decades. Oh, and a bit distinctive, because if it is just like something I have, well I have it.

This post should have way more thumbs up than it does.

Nailed it.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The expectations and hype is through the roof for jjp3, going to be hard for it to live up to it

I don't really agree with this.

I think people are really curious and very much looking forward to seeing it, but I wouldn't describe the expectations and hype as being through the roof.

1 week later
#275 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think JJP has the best opportunity to steal the show.

Opportunity was there.

Execution was not.

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So...quick summary of Expo so far:
Batman66 is rethemed BDK.
No one likes Dialed In until they play it, then they love it.
Alien has potential, but is not ready.
Houdini is a no show.

What about DP? Were they a no show too?

#301 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I never saw Alien after Twin Peaks did it ever make it Over to expo ?
Saw the machine there but never got to play it. I thought the whole Twin Peaks thing was badly organized. No one was checking vouchers so anyone could stroll in.
Stern's Batman museum was nice with the games roped off but I would have liked to actually play the machine. I guess I can't blame them if the code was still sub par.
I was thinking about buying a premium but since I didn't have a chance to play it I'll probably wait a year or 2 until the code is done since I'm still waiting for some of my games to get updated.
Dialed In surprised me. When I heard the title I thought bad things for JJP. When I played it, I have to say it was a lot of fun and I like the way the LCD is intergrated into the game (no 4 way WOZ or Hobbit split). The game had good flow and was jam packed with stuff. Magnets under the playfield, lights that make your flipper flutter was cool. The only problem is I don't want to pay $9k for the game. If the game was less I would probably buy it. Might be one I pickup on the secondary market. It was nice they had a ton of games to play.
Saw Dominos. I thought it looked cool and was fast. Just not a theme I'm into.
Saw the Houdini playfield. Looked good but JPop involved so I'd have to pass just because of the MG, ZA, & AIW stuff. Another museum moment at the show.
I think Dialed In stole the show. It was the only game that had a line at Expo to play it.

Any impressions regarding Alien?

Edit: sorry, read too fast

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

IMHO no one stole the show.
I'm really pleased with the Alien reception, was super positive, but no way we stole the show, that would be overstating it IMHO. (I'm on a plane now, but when I left Expo around 3pm the two Alien games were getting played in the vendor hall for people asking).
Batman looked really colorful and cool, those SLE deals were slick, but that's all you could see, zero insight into gameplay. You can't steal a show if you can't flip.
Dialed In had an impressive 5 games, and people lined up to play them, but the response during the reveal blunted the initial excitement. More of a slow burn on that one I suspect, see how the price plays out with people, and if the theme grows on folks.
No remake announcement.
Was a great show, lots to see and do, but to steal the show I think you need the kind of buzz TBL had 2 years back, when they really just blew everyone away and poured the kool-aid all weekend. And see how that turned out, 2 years later only now really shipping any games, stealing the show is overrated.

Nailed it in terms of my impressions (without being there).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 34.99
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-will-steal-the-show-at-expo-2016-poll-included?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.