(Topic ID: 112684)

Who will be the next manufacturer to NOT take deposits on a game?

By shakethatmachine

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by insx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Will there ever be another pinball manufacturer besides Stern that first makes a machine and then sells said machine in that order? Just pondering this as the prepay model appears to crumble before us.

It sure would be refreshing to see a new game for sale that was actually *for sale* with no preproduction funds required. I know Spooky Pinball comes damn close (go Spooky!), but I still think they ask for some money up front once they start assembling your machine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, is it simply impractical to expect such a pinball company to ever exist again without the 15 year head start of Stern?

Scott

#2 5 years ago

Rumor is that JJP will do this for game #3

#3 5 years ago

Im so looking for the price point on BJM

#4 5 years ago

As long as there are people that are dumb enough to fund someone elses company then these will exist. These "manufacturers" don't have the funds to do it them selves and "knowing the RISKS" they insist on doing it with customer money. A true "company" with a "plan" will go out and either finance it themselves or take out a Loan(s) to make the product. These "hobby based" companies don't want to take the Risk of loosing every dime they own so they do it with Customer Money and call it a "kickstarter"....so as long as people fall into this pipe-dream that someone can produce an entire 100+ run of a game in their "garage" there will always be people trying to use someone elses money instead of taking on the risk themselves.......

A "true" Business requires 3 Basic Components: Design, Financial, and a Production Facility that can handle making the Product....a Table needs at least 3 Legs to Stand Upright, similarly a Business needs these 3 "legs" as well, otherwise it's just going to collapse like a 1 or 2 leg table.

Most of these "boutique" pinball manufacturers only have 1 of the 3 legs needed ( Design ) and have to search elsewhere for the other 2....The Financial Risk they leave up to the Customer, and the Production Facility is never really taken into serious consideration....

Just my 2 ¢

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Rumor is that JJP will do this for game #3

Not a rumor.

#6 5 years ago

Great news!

#7 5 years ago

The python circus boys are not taking pre-order money, and are making the game.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

the Production Facility is never really taken into serious consideration....

FINALLY!!!!!

I've been saying/asking that since "the mother of all pre-orders" BBB.IPB had all their ducks in a row,but the assembly process set them back almost 5 years.Kudos for getting it done but it was a set back.Same thing with Wayne and the first MMr.Dude had a warehouse(NOS Williams stock)with everything he needed,but when it came time to assemble them he ran into a wall,and had to bag the project.Even JJP with a factory had delays in delivering,although I think it will be better for Hobbit.Point being they had to have the experience first.

Now you have start ups that will have to solve this very problem.All previous indicators point to delays.Nothing has transpired historically to make me think otherwise.

Scott

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from shakethatmachine:

Will there ever be another pinball manufacturer besides Stern that first makes a machine and then sells said machine in that order?

Only if people don't prepay, the project will either die or be self funded. That said, people like JJP will be forced to change the model or go out of business. One might also consider the boutique guys may never actually get games made due to funding.....or be forced to deliver more timely. People holding 750,000 of customer money may just continue to extend the deadlines.

Let's face it, if you sent $5000+ to anyone else with the expectation of product delivery withina 6 mos and it took 2 years.... You would be upset, maybe call the BBB, or hire an attorney.

#10 5 years ago

This is great to hear. Shows that JJP doesn't "need" the money, that the company after 2 releases is starting to build some momentum and profit.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The python circus boys are not taking pre-order money, and are making the game.

I guess I should have been more specific, "Who will be the next manufacturer to NOT take deposits on a game and then deliver said game?

#12 5 years ago

Hank

#13 5 years ago

The way I figure it, it is going to be the new business model of pinball, a new company Designing pinballs and having them manufactured overseas, or the parts at least and assembled in the states. This would probably drop the price of a pro model to 3,000 and LE to 5,000. Low enough that prepay is not needed. Opening up the operators margin to start putting pins on location because of the lower capital cost, thus exposing pinball to more and more people. This could stimulate new customers for the home market. A kick start to moving pins back into the public eye. Not that I support moving jobs out of country, any country. But if we are strictly looking at reducing costs to the customer and manufacturer, this maybe a viable solution.

If we truly look at our spending habits as consumers we all want lower pricing, so we lean towards purchasing based on price, regardless of place of origin.

#14 5 years ago

I preordered WOZ very early on, and also jumped on The Hobbit as soon as it was announced, and the preorder/pay model has worked well for me, but I won't be doing it again.

What I would like to see instead is a simple system where you put down a small amount, say $250-$500 on a game to secure your spot, deposit is refundable up to a certain point, then you must decide if you are in or out based on the progress that you have seen, your choice. After the deadline, funds are locked in, but you can sell your spot if you want to, and no further money is sent in until your game is ready to be shipped. To me this is a preorder model that makes sense for both the buyer and seller.

#15 5 years ago

Silver Castle with Timeshock!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Other
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 9.95
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 149.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside