Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who wears the pants?”

• I'm a man's man, and the pants are mine!! 45 votes
      45%
    • I don't dare challenge true authority: she proudly sports the pants! 8 votes
      8%
    • We each have one leg in the pants. Awkward but effective! 48 votes
      48%

(101 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31736C52-13FE-4416-B429-E500E90B0E64 (resized).jpeg
    499ED444-9161-4B63-BF5C-3FDF72E65CC0 (resized).jpeg
    snake19 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0208 (resized).JPG
    F7D1C6CF-AEB0-43A4-A022-79FB3F177031 (resized).jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Does your wife wear the pants? What are her rules? How do you play the relationship pinball game?

My wife's rules:

1. I'm limited to the basement with pins. I cannot have pins in the garage (except for occasional repairs that need to be outside the house) or any other room of the house. I tried hard to get one in our secondary living room, but no go on that one. I also tried for the corner of the dining room.

2. We have separate finances beyond bills, investments, and vacation funds etc, but I still need to consult before buying anything over 5k. We have a friendly veto system to keep us from making bad, large-item impulse purchases. I've been vetoed a few times on pin purchases, and she was right to do so each time. I like that she has some control to keep me from getting completely out of control.

3. I can play any time on low volume when she's home, but I try to be sure it won't disturb her. I love loud volume and subs, so if she goes shopping, it's pinball time!

I'm curious to see how you guys manage your addiction around your significant other. Any advice on how I can get around the basement rule?

#2 3 years ago

I give my wife whatever she wants. She asks for very little.
    She tells me I am the boss, and treats me like a king.
    She doesn't care for my pinballs. I currently have 11, some in the house, some in the garage.
    I guess I would say she tolerates the pins. She doesn't complain when I buy a pin.
    To help her tolerate my pin addiction, whenever I sell a pin I give her a few C notes.
    Couldn't ask for a better wife!

#3 3 years ago

Wives who don't enjoy pinball tend to be jealous or controlling of it. If there was a "Book of Mormon" the musical pinball machine it could have a call out that shouts "MULTI-WIFE MULTI-BALL!"

#4 3 years ago

I'll have you know that as the man of the house I wear the pants in the family... my wife may pick them out for me but I wear them!

I have a designated wall that has grown from space for 3 machines to space for 5 and a Mame partially blocking the door (have 4 now). I can do pretty much whatever I want in that space with pins as it's basically a wide hallway in the basement that is impractical to use otherwise. I have slowly (well rapidly) been buying/trading up over the past 2 years since I've been in this game from the World Cup Soccer to where I am now (AFM, MMr, TSPP, STTNG, MAME). She's been very... patient with me. She gets the next large "treat" and we are currently in the process of saving up for a pool. I'm still putting money into my arcade, but when the time comes for the pool I can just sell a few pins if I need to to scrounge the extra cash.

Pins are loud but they are in the basement and I generally play/work on machines first thing in the morning or after the kids go to bed so I don't miss family time. In the evening I have dedicated homework/pinball time I use to play on pins while she reads Star Trek.

Eventually when the house is paid for, the kids are out of the house and the backyard is her Oaisis I may try to turn the basement full arcade, but until then I am more than thrilled with the dedicated space I have.

My grown ass happy self gets to get up every morning and play like a little kid in his own private arcade.

#5 3 years ago

I'm very lucky my wife loves pinball! We have 22 in the basement one or two tend to live in our large dining room if i plan to do a quick shop or they will be sold. The rest of the house is off limits for now I have 4 projects in my trailer and another 3-4 in my pinball shed. She calls 3/4 of our collection hers! She only plays and sometimes helps clean plastics and such but pretty much lets me do and buy what I want. She even goes on pin pickups as long as dinner is provided. I couldnt ask for anything better than I have it now other than a larger house. We are looking for a remote getaway spot in the mountains and i want something small and she said well you wont be able to fit any pinballs in a small place!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Does your wife wear the pants? What are her rules? How do you play the relationship pinball game?
    My wife's rules:
    1. I'm limited to the basement with pins. I cannot have pins in the garage (except for occasional repairs that need to be outside the house) or any other room of the house. I tried hard to get one in our secondary living room, but no go on that one. I also tried for the corner of the dining room.
    2. We have separate finances beyond bills, investments, and vacation funds etc, but I still need to consult before buying anything over 5k. We have a friendly veto system to keep us from making bad, large-item impulse purchases. I've been vetoed a few times on pin purchases, and she was right to do so each time. I like that she has some control to keep me from getting completely out of control.
    3. I can play any time on low volume when she's home, but I try to be sure it won't disturb her. I love loud volume and subs, so if she goes shopping, it's pinball time!
    I'm curious to see how you guys manage your addiction around your significant other. Any advice on how I can get around the basement rule?

jeez man, she got you on lockdown

#7 3 years ago

Why wear pants? We are on lockdown

#8 3 years ago
    F7D1C6CF-AEB0-43A4-A022-79FB3F177031 (resized).jpegF7D1C6CF-AEB0-43A4-A022-79FB3F177031 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago

Same - all major household decisions flow thru the dog

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

[quoted image]

Yep..I'll raise you another
    These 2 pups have been running our lives for 6yrs now..and far from the innocent look that they pulled on us when we got them.

IMG_0208 (resized).JPGIMG_0208 (resized).JPG
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Yep..I'll raise you another
    These 2 pups have been running our lives for 6yrs now..and far from the innocent look that they pulled on us when we got them.
    [quoted image]

Ha, I ended up with 3 cats and a 4 year old the same way...funny how that works.

I guess to answer the OPs question, we don't have rules for each other. We have a budget and talk over any major purchases to make sure we are in good shape for other things we have money earmarked for (house renovations, vacation, etc.), that's pretty much the extent of it for us. I converted the basement into my gameroom. There were a few games in the living room at one point but I like having them in one place for both playing and repair. I really have no desire to fill every room of my house with games.

#12 3 years ago

My 2 wives are long gone. My 2 pins are still there. I’ve promised my pins I won’t put them thru that again. Life is good.

#13 3 years ago

Are we really shocked that a spouse might not love the fact that we have become obsessed with buying 200 pound machines that cost thousands of dollars and take up the space of a small couch? I'm trying to think what I would do if my wife procured such a hobby. I think I'd want a say in it at some point.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Are we really shocked that a spouse might not love the fact that we have become obsessed with buying 200 pound machines that cost thousands of dollars and take up the space of a small couch? I'm trying to think what I would do if my wife procured such a hobby. I think I'd want a say in it at some point.

How much say is the gray area here. I think the garage rule is petty but most of the other ones are reasonable.

#15 3 years ago

I wear pants as little as possible.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Any advice on how I can get around the basement rule?

My advice on this? Let it go.

Love the space you use in the basement and work around that.

#17 3 years ago

My wife told me I can't buy anymore expensive toys after I bought a NIB DP prem a couple months ago. Well, now that Inifity Quest is out, I put down a deposit for a premium and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to surive the consequences of my decision.

She loves pinball (and is waaaay better than me), so my strategy is to sell my DP (the MBrLE is off limits) to "justify" the cost, but I not-so-secretly hope that she loves the game and just lets me keep them both

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My advice on this? Let it go.
    Love the space you use in the basement and work around that.

Yeah, that question was lighthearted. My limit is 12, which is more than fair.

I'm surprised that no one has posted limits that are far more strict. As was said, these games are big and expensive.

#19 3 years ago

Im freakng whipped man. Luckily she lets me have some pins, but she wants them all gone ASAP. Including my extensive Star Wars collection
    Et tu Boba !?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Im freakng whipped man. Luckily she lets me have some pins, but she wants them all gone ASAP. Including my extensive Star Wars collection
    Et tu Boba !?

I'd let the Star wars go before the pins!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Et tu Boba !?

As Buzz says in NGG, "say goodbye to your balls!!!" .

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, that question was lighthearted. My limit is 12, which is more than fair.
    I'm surprised that no one has posted limits that are far more strict. As was said, these games are big and expensive.

I've had games all over the house before and it's definitely one of those "better on paper ideas". Maybe it's because I'm getting older (relatively ha) but I'm happy to have my house look like a house and my gameroom look like the gameroom. I love pinball but one room of these boat anchors is plenty ha.

#23 3 years ago

ME, That is all

#24 3 years ago

I have no one to make rules except myself. I live in a 480sqM warehouse and have room and can afford many, many pinball machines.

A man has to set rules to live by though and i have ruled a line with carpet that fits 4 pins up the front of the shed where i sit during the day and my mates come visit, then a large game area down the back that fits 19 or 20.

If it doesn't fit on the carpet i can't have it, or i have to sell one to make room.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

My wife's rules:

Your wife has rules for you, but what I want to know is what are your rules for her? Sounds like a bit of a dictatorship to me the way you've described it.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Your wife has rules for you, but what I want to know is what are your rules for her? Sounds like a dictatorship to me the way you've described it.

12 pins is my limit in a shared house. We also discuss and negotiate large purchases. How does that sound like a dictatorship? My wife isn't a huge fan of pinball, so if she was Pin-Hitler, I'd have none.
    She is likely getting a horse and might want to buy a share in an airplane. I tell her to go nuts! But if she wants ten horses, or her own jet, I might have an issue with that... That's as far as it goes.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

12 pins is my limit in a shared house. We also discuss and negotiate large purchases. How does that sound like a dictatorship? My wife isn't a huge fan of pinball, so if she was Pin-Hitler, I'd have none.
    She is likely getting a horse and might want to buy a share in an airplane. I tell her to go nuts! But if she wants ten horses, or her own jet, I might have an issue with that... That's as far as it goes.

There's obviously nothing wrong with discussing large purchases with her. No offense, but you did make it sound a little draconian when you said you can't ever have the pinball turned up at all when she's home.

#29 3 years ago

I wear shorts...

#30 3 years ago

In the wife's pecking order I am number four behind our two daughters and the dog. I beat the outside cat pretty handily since she is getting tired of her pooping on the deck

Seriously though, I am pretty lucky. No pins upstairs, but I have the whole basement and garage and we are talking a possible addition. Like @jethrop's wife, my wife gets what she wants but asks for very little. She likes to play pinball though she is not obsessed like me, and that is a good thing. It is hard enough getting the ones on my list, wouldn't want to compete with hers (though we did get Munsters in big part because liked playing it at Expo last year).

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

My wife's rules:

Your wife has rules??? Sorry man but what's wrong with you ?

#32 3 years ago

That's easy. I own a female dog half terrier.

What Prada wants. Prada gets.

LTG : )

IMG_0465 (resized).JPGIMG_0465 (resized).JPG
    #33 3 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

ep..I'll raise you another

Cute dogs, what breed are they please?

#34 3 years ago

My snakes never seem to ask for anything but a little company and exercise in the afternoons. They do like to go out and shit on the neighbours lawn once every now and then, i think they don't like stinking up their enclosures.

snake19 (resized).jpgsnake19 (resized).jpg

#35 3 years ago

I’ve tried to spin the machines as being investments and oh my 2 year old definitely wants an Avengers! Hahaha! Seriously though, with negative interest rates in the future, I’d rather lose money on a depreciated pinball machine over my savings account... yea that sounds like a good new excuse! My wife and I love each other. It is that simple. Sometimes we want to kill each other, but I suppose when you know you know. We make the chaos work and she is the best partner I could ever dream of.

#36 3 years ago

I do whatever I want as long as the wife says its ok.

#37 3 years ago

Pants! Only if she wears them yoga ones.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Cute dogs, what breed are they please?

German short hair pointers

Disclaimer: this breed has a lot of wild crazy energy

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Does your wife wear the pants?

Pants? Who needs pants?

499ED444-9161-4B63-BF5C-3FDF72E65CC0 (resized).jpeg499ED444-9161-4B63-BF5C-3FDF72E65CC0 (resized).jpeg
    #40 3 years ago

I usually get what I want , so I solved the “pins in the house problem” years ago, by building my arcade in the backyard. But make no mistake, she gets everything she wants too. We have always only had joint bank accounts, probably because we were so young we didn’t know any better. Been married 30 years and have 10 kids, so I guess it works for us.

31736C52-13FE-4416-B429-E500E90B0E64 (resized).jpeg31736C52-13FE-4416-B429-E500E90B0E64 (resized).jpeg
    #41 3 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

I usually get what I want , so I solved the “pins in the house problem” years ago, by building my arcade in the backyard. But make no mistake, she gets everything she wants too. We have always only had joint bank accounts, probably because we were so young we didn’t know any better. Been married 30 years and have 10 kids, so I guess it works for us.
    [quoted image]

Wow!

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

Your wife has rules??? Sorry man but what's wrong with you ?

I don't get how a couple of you can misread the tone of my post so poorly. My wife has a rule: no pinball machines in the dining room. What a crazy loser I must be to marry such a ball and chain! I better get my head checked!

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't get how a couple of you can misread the tone of my post so poorly. My wife has a rule: no pinball machines in the dining room. What a crazy loser I must be to marry such a ball and chain! I better get my head checked!

I’m with your wife on that one.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

You posted... My wife's rules 1,2,3. Did you have to ask permission to start this thread ?

#45 3 years ago

I have never had a wife.

I have a awesome girlfriend that loves the games as much as I do.

One time she asked if I would ever sell a game to buy her a ring.

I said hell no, I can buy you a ring for $25.00 and these games cost a lot more than that.

(getting close to 4 years now since that discussion and we are happy, she is a keeper).

#46 3 years ago

Catching them mid air by 5th or 6th?

#47 3 years ago

I wear the pants, and handle the finances.
    My wife therefore decides when the pants come off.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I wear the pants, and handle the finances.
    My wife therefore decides when the pants come off.

Don’t wanna hear bout your pants coming off! Keep em on here please

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Don’t wanna hear bout your pants coming off! Keep em on here please

You haven't seen Art's legs.

Bring it on !

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You haven't seen Art's legs.
    Bring it on !

As my wife says...nothing there to see......

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-wears-the-pants-in-your-family?hl=bigalzpinz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.