(Topic ID: 106338)

Making New Home Run Plastics for Baseball Games

By SteveinTexas

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Home Run Plastic.jpg
    DSC02540.JPG
    DSC02539.JPG
    DSC02538.JPG
    pbbc61.jpg
    pbdp65.jpg
    DSC02910.JPG
    DSC02964.JPG
    Vacuum Rubber Sealer.JPG
    PETG plastic Target.JPG
    Hips Plastic Target.JPG
    Vacuum Forming Box.JPG
    VAC Arrgt.JPG
    New Plastic Rear View.JPG
    DSC02977.JPG
    DSC02970.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

From 1963 through 1966 some William’s bat games have plastic home run targets. This home run plastic was poorly designed at the top of the target where the plastic material is thinned due to the forming process at this location. They must have sold a lot of replacements.

Games are;
    • 1963 Major League,
    • 1963 Big Inning (Chicago Version)
    • 1964 Grand Slam,
    • 1966 Pitch and Bat and Big League.

Major League 63.JPGMajor League 63.JPG
    1963 Major League
    The Major League home run plastic is the most intricate. It has backlit ‘arrows’ telling you when the extra Inning feature is active. Hit a home run while lit and you get more innings, yippee. This is a one player game that sets randomly the number of runs for you to beat.

Big Inning 64.JPGBig Inning 64.JPG
    1963 Big Inning
    The Big Inning (Chicago Version) has no picture available in the IPDB. It has no backlit lights as was not a feature of this game. Otherwise very similar to the 63 Major League plastic target.

Grand Slam 64.JPGGrand Slam 64.JPG
    1964 Grand Slam
    The Grand Slam is a two player game. Again no backlit extra inning feature nor does it show the ‘Home Run’ wording below the target, if you played the games at the time you should know where to hit the ball so by now the sign was redundant I guess.

Pitch & Bat, Big League.JPGPitch & Bat, Big League.JPG
    1966 Pitch and Bat and Big League
    Different striped markings on a white background.

Most games you see for sale on eBay etc this home run plastic is in terrible shape especially on the Major League and Grand Slams. There has been a few topics on getting a replacement made as it is not commercially viable I guess, but nothing so far. So following Clay's vacuum forming article and other internet tutorials and some encouragement from fellow Pinsider's with these games I have made them. They are not quite as good as the originals on close inspection but they are close.

New Major League Home Run Plastic
    DSC02970.JPGDSC02970.JPG
    Major League and Grand Slam (Big Inning not shown)

DSC02977.JPGDSC02977.JPG
    Major League Art

New Plastic Rear View.JPGNew Plastic Rear View.JPG
    Back View of plastic

How it was Made
    VAC Arrgt.JPGVAC Arrgt.JPG
    Vacuum Forming Box.JPGVacuum Forming Box.JPG
    Vacuum Box; 4"X 1" lumber, peg board and MDF bottom board. Drill hole for your wet vac. Note you need a new clean filter for vacuuming activities and it must stay clean! Make the mold for the plastic and sand no more than 400 grit.

Hips Plastic Target.JPGHips Plastic Target.JPG
    Success…eventually no webbing. White 'hips' acrylic 0.60" thick.

PETG plastic Target.JPGPETG plastic Target.JPG
    PETG form success. More difficult due to needing less time to heat up and lower temperature than the hips plastic. Again using 0.60" thick material.

Vacuum Rubber Sealer.JPGVacuum Rubber Sealer.JPG
    Tried a lot of weather-strip (vacuum necessity) eventfully used the rubber sponge and this was usable a few times.

DSC02964.JPGDSC02964.JPG
    The grill was the limiting factor for the size I could form. Note the grill heat deflectors have to be in the correct place (not as in picture). This is critical to form anything successfully.

DSC02910.JPGDSC02910.JPG
    The mold needs to be raised of the pegboard more than its thickness so there was 3/4" wood spacers under the mold each time and that was on pennies to maximize the vacuum. If not you get webbing. A beer to celebrate!

I originally made the home run plastics with white ‘Hips’ acrylic but eventually settled on a clear PETG material with a reverse clear decal painted over white on the back. This was to accommodate the Major League Lights. The white hips material could be fine for the 1966 Pitch and Bat/Big League plastics with a decal on the front. I have this material but have not developed the decal. Now I know what to do I can probably get a success vacuum form 75% of the time using the home equipment available. I used my wet vac, homemade vacuum table, BBQ grill and lots of failure. However, eventually we worked it all out and get a consistent part… most of the time.

I have made extra home run plastics to defray my costs so if people want them and tell me the game I can offer probably what they need. The cost will be $65 + shipping ($7.00). That will cover most of the set up costs. so pin mail me guys.

Regards Steve J.

Post edited by SteveinTexas: Firmed up cost and shipping

#3 9 years ago

And a cold Beer to finish off some work well done. Great skill/detail on it.

#4 9 years ago

Dave,

Nice Job! I need target (rear) plastics for a 61 Batting Champ and a 65 Double play (see below). I'm not sure if that is something you would want to do but I believe they are the same width as what you are currently doing. I do have a vacu-form machine but it is not quit big enough to do these. I will be doing the red ramps for the 61 though using my machine. I do have some spares of the 66 Pitch and bat target and was going to attempt a decal at some point. Maybe we could trade parts or I would buy 1 of your 63s you are doing plus 2 61s and a 65.

Thanks!

Mike V.

pbdp65.jpgpbdp65.jpgpbbc61.jpgpbbc61.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Very nice indeed Steve!!!! As mentioned in PM’s, you can put me down for (2) of the 1963 Major League plastics.

Thanks again, and well done!!

Pat

#6 9 years ago

I have you included Pat. Send you a PM. Confirmed the price at $65.00 and postage looks be no more than $7.00. (Waiting for the USPS boxes to arrive then weigh).

SteveJ

#7 9 years ago

Mike,

A guy in California has a bunch of NOS red ramps, sells them on eBay all the time. (Not today though) so can't link. His tel # is 562 867 3114 and his eBay name is 'warehouseclutter03'. $50 per set. Additionally I got a good set made by a fellow pinsider in Canada called Kevin Godwin I believe?

I am not a graphics guy, my art was done by Andre Leeder of Griffin Creative Company, Sugar Land Texas. If you have the original, software guys with a scanner can get it sorted in an hour or so. If you have a 'Fast Signs' near you, ask them to do the art and print the decal. After I had mine competed they said they would have done it for about $50. They take a digital picture and clean it up for you they said, then you workout the copying.

There has been topics here on free software so i will look into that for the future. The piece of plastic you can get from eBay.

Steve

#8 9 years ago

All,
    I have one bat lever assembly (made 5) left if any one needs one. I have three baseball games in the restore line and this is extra. I am not planning to make more as so time consuming. Never say never but....

$110 + postage.

Steve J.

This one has sold Oct 21 . (I believe I have the parts to make one more so PM if you are in need you never know...).

Jan 08, 2015; Put parts together and it has sold too. Hardest part was making the bat but as we have a supplier I could make a run again but need at least three people wanting one to make it a project.

Happy New Year.

DSC02538.JPGDSC02538.JPG
    DSC02539.JPGDSC02539.JPG
    DSC02540.JPGDSC02540.JPG

#9 9 years ago

Very cool! Nice job on the vacume forming. I've always used the oven but I like your idea on the grill...and so would my wife!

I'm sure you'll sell lots of them....cause those seem like they are always cracked!
    Nice job!

#10 9 years ago

Great work.
    I need to vacuform a piece for my capt kidd at somepoint.

I notice that the necessary beer is pictured as well!

--Jeff

#11 9 years ago

Jodini,
    The oven was so small. It was my wife's idea to use the grill. I wanted to buy a larger oven as she is such a good cook, but she saw through me.

The material holder needed to be 25 1/2" wide so most grills will struggle with that width. The good part is it works. The mold should have been a reverse mold but after making four normal molds I was past making another. Its not perfect but ...

Jeff,

Its making a mold that takes a little time. If you have the original part then Clay explains how he made one with bondo. If you have that I can probably get it done in an hour or to.

I have the new plastic on my working game and am testing as hard as i can. I just can't hit the bloody fast ball!

1 week later
    #12 9 years ago

Steve, I received my plastics today and they look great. You really did a fantastic job..

Thanks again

Pat

#13 9 years ago

Hi Steve: I also received your home run plastic for Major League, nicely done, gonna look great replacing the old beat up one...thanks again...Jon.

#14 9 years ago

Your very welcome.

Steve J

1 week later
    #15 9 years ago

Steve I received the Major League plastic today and wow, Well Done! Thank you for the time you put into this I/we are grateful for your dedication and contribution to the game.

Spencer

#16 9 years ago

holy cow that looks great !!

3 months later
    #17 9 years ago

PM sent for a '63 Major League home run plastic

#18 9 years ago

In stock, PM responded.

You have good taste Hoov!

#19 9 years ago

Sent money! Thanks!

Now, to find a backglass.........

2 weeks later
    #20 9 years ago

I just received the 'Big Inning' home run plastic for my 1966 Williams "Pitch and Bat".

(I really like the look of the bunting and the "Home Run" sign on "Big Inning" better than the green/purple graphics that came on "Pitch and Bat".).

Anyway the part looks fantastic! Even better than the photos shown here and it is going to make the game really shine. I'll post pictures of it installed but that will be awhile as I have it totally torn apart for a rebuild.

Thanks Steve!

#21 9 years ago

I received mine too and it looks great - thanks Steve for making this available!

#22 9 years ago

You are all very welcome. Sell a couple more and I will break even

1 week later
    #23 9 years ago

Here is Steve's home run plastic installed on my '66 Pitch and Bat. It turned out nice and really gives the game a finished look. The bunting on the plastic ties into the bunting on the stands in the back of the running man unit.

Would highly recommend for anyone with a game from this era.

Home Run Plastic.jpgHome Run Plastic.jpg
    #24 9 years ago

Greg,
    it does look good. i was pleased how this version came out.

Steve j.

4 years later
    #25 4 years ago

You still have plastics? 1964 Williams Grand Slam

3 weeks later
    #26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Boycer:

You still have plastics? 1964 Williams Grand Slam

Missed your post sorry. Yes making more. Expect ready early November.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-wants-major-league-grand-slam-big-inning-target-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.