(Topic ID: 167756)

Who want's a new DW Time Expander Cover?

By Mitch

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spoilers (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
time (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Who out there needs a new time expander cover for there game, figure if we can get enough people who are looking maybe somebody can make a batch. Its just clear plastic so I don't think there will be any copyright issues and the decal is still available from planetary pinball.

Someone suggested that i make this thread in my for sale thread so here it is.

Maybe freeplay40 ....

#2 7 years ago

Quotes from for sale thread:

Quoted from Drewblood419:

I'm looking for one also pinsider freeay40 can make them and PPS Rick has the rights and mold so hopefully the two get together and put these bad boys to market soon

Quoted from pinball_faz:

There needs to be some rework in the design. The original broke easily and from what I read the Twisted Pins remake ran into similar unhappy customers. The design is quite poor. The stress point on the screw anchor point is pretty bad.
If the project is tied to using that exact mold, I'd suggest we get Cliffy in the picture. If he can get a protector that sits on top of AND below the tab, it should distribute the stress better. And/or if your hood is broken, the Cliffy protector would make it look a heck of a lot better.
YO!!! Cliffy!!! Got your ears on?!?!
Thanks,
faz

I ended up talking with him(freeplay) via pm hopefully all parties can get this unobtainium part made/revamped

Quoted from Mitch:

I could send him mine to make a mold off of. If he can make the plastic you can buy the decal on planetary pinball.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going so they can see the demand for this piece

Quoted from pinball_faz:

Actually, I'd abandon this thread as nobody is going to be tracking it.
Create a new thread: Who want's a new DW Time Expander Cover?
quote some of the contents of this thread in it if you wish.
I would guess that most people that might want a repro have long drained/ignored this topic since it started out as a "wanted" ad.
faz

#3 7 years ago

Doesn't look too hard compared to a ramp.

time (resized).jpgtime (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

You should get a lot more action in this thread!
faz

#5 7 years ago

I like the idea

#6 7 years ago

I bought one from Twisted pins and it cracked almost immediately where it connected to the two front post. Make sure to look at this area to beef it up or give clearance so some sort of washer can be used there. Good luck with the project.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I bought one from Twisted pins and it cracked almost immediately where it connected to the two front post. Make sure to look at this area to beef it up or give clearance so some sort of washer can be used there. Good luck with the project.

SAME. I even used a metal washer.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

SAME. I even used a metal washer.

I did the same. I did make my own protector for above the center target.

#10 7 years ago

What if there was a cliffy made for the whole front edge or just made from a better material.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What if there was a cliffy made for the whole front edge or just made from a better material.

That would be great, was just pointing out an issue with the prior reproductions.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I PMed him yesterday about this after my post. He's not replied.
faz

#13 7 years ago

I'll take a new cover!!

#15 7 years ago

I picked up this Doctor Who recently it is all original with absolutely zero cabinet fade and only a few minor dings the only broken plastic in it at all is the time expander cover so I'm dying to get one LOL The machine was dirty as hell but is cleaning up really really well I haven't found any wear at all on the playfield except for the time expander edge and the cliffy will cover it when it comes in the mail

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#16 7 years ago

Rick from PPS responded to my thread on the PPS forum saying that they are talking with starship fantasy to try to get it made

#17 7 years ago

I didn't think starship fantasy was still making new product. I though they were just selling off old stock. Have a better chance of freeplay making it.

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago

Does anybody know where i can find one? I have bought every part to do a full restore on dr who but cant find this last one.

1 week later
#19 7 years ago

I'd like one of these.

2 months later
#20 7 years ago

Still looking for one.

3 weeks later
#22 7 years ago

Did anyone ask Kerri Stair at Mantis amusements? I sent him a few years ago the crate cover for Scared Stiff and he made the out of metal. Gave me a free one for lending him an original.

Just a thought.

#23 7 years ago

I'm in.

#24 7 years ago

Stay tuned... something is in the works.
I sent my cover to Cliffy. He's going to try making a protector.

faz

2 months later
#25 7 years ago

Any word from cliffy?

Freeplay40 has agreed to look into making them is someone will send him a undamaged one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/26#post-3636058

#26 7 years ago

Not yet, but I did not expect this to be a quick turn-around from him.

Most Cliffy's line an object. A hole or a ramp or something else. This protector is more like armor for a broken (or in my case missing piece of plastic). He's got to invent a new concept to create structure, where structure does not exist AND make the dome look good.

Initially, I was thinking about a few wings (one on each side) to cover a break and/or protect a solid cover. But I'm having a hard time visualizing what that would look like given the decal.

As far as other repro efforts, I 100% support them, but the base design stinks. Even with thicker plastic... it's going to shatter. A new design is needed that's more mechanically sound.

faz

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Not yet, but I did not expect this to be a quick turn-around from him.
Most Cliffy's line an object. A hole or a ramp or something else. This protector is more like armor for a broken (or in my case missing piece of plastic). He's got to invent a new concept to create structure, where structure does not exist AND make the dome look good.
Initially, I was thinking about a few wings (one on each side) to cover a break and/or protect a solid cover. But I'm having a hard time visualizing what that would look like given the decal.
As far as other repro efforts, I 100% support them, but the base design stinks. Even with thicker plastic... it's going to shatter. A new design is needed that's more mechanically sound.
faz

Where does the Time Expander cover usually crack? Mine is a bit weak around the screws in front... Couldn't we just add some plastic washers in there like for slings?

#28 7 years ago

The wings that it screws down. They are way too thin (thickness of material and width).

Pressure of the screws (over-tight) and/or vibrations just tear it to pieces.

One of my ideas to Cliffy was to create a small protector that went on both sides of the plastic (like a sandwich). This would distribute the pressure across a larger area and offer structural support.

faz

1 week later
#30 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The wings that it screws down. They are way too thin (thickness of material and width).
Pressure of the screws (over-tight) and/or vibrations just tear it to pieces.
One of my ideas to Cliffy was to create a small protector that went on both sides of the plastic (like a sandwich). This would distribute the pressure across a larger area and offer structural support.
faz

Literally just happened today on one side. I've repaired it with that UV-hardened plastic filler stuff (can't think of the name offhand) which looks really good and seems pretty solid. Not ideal though.

#31 7 years ago

I've got just one word...

Spoilers (resized).jpgSpoilers (resized).jpg

Something is happening in the future (or maybe it's the past).
faz

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I've got just one word...

Something is happening in the future (or maybe it's the past).
faz

Don't leave me hanging!

2 weeks later
#33 7 years ago

Rich what do you know that we don't know?

#34 7 years ago

I'm starting on this one today....

#35 7 years ago

Slightly OT, but anybody know if there are repro decals or plastics for this game? If I want to fork over $300 for the ramps they come with decals but my Ramps are in good shape - just the decals are kinda not.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Slightly OT, but anybody know if there are repro decals or plastics for this game? If I want to fork over $300 for the ramps they come with decals but my Ramps are in good shape - just the decals are kinda not.

There are super poor reproduction slings, and some side art from Europe that looks decent, and some stickers for the targets, and that's about all I've seen.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

There are super poor reproduction slings, and some side art from Europe that looks decent, and some stickers for the targets, and that's about all I've seen.

Yeah that's all I've seen too. Bummer! I saw some used plastics on eBay, but most likely they are in the same shape as what I've already got...

1 week later
#38 7 years ago

Test forming the first Time Expander cover today!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Test forming the first Time Expander cover today!

Awesome!!

2 months later
#40 6 years ago

I think I'm going to order... can somebody point me to where I can buy these awesome covers?

#42 6 years ago

I have one already, highly recommended and very well made!

#43 6 years ago

Thanks very much! Man that was quick, much appreciated

5 months later
#44 6 years ago

My original cover was completely missing, also the lamps so I am trying to rebuild it.
Can anybody please take a picture of the lamp assembly cable, connector and underside of the cover?

#45 6 years ago

Page 8/Figure 12 ???

https://sites.google.com/site/pinballfaz/

Look at the document located at the bottom of my website.
faz

#46 6 years ago

Thanks, that is a very useful document, when I got my DrWho a color copy of your document (missing the first page) was actually in the coin box.

But no matter how I zoom in, that picture is too compressed to distinguish how the leads are connected and to recognize which connector I exactly need to order. Do you have the original picture somewhere by any chance?

#47 6 years ago

I do have the original but it's not super high quality. PM your email address and I'll send it.
faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-wants-a-new-dw-time-expander-cover and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.