(Topic ID: 260245)

Who wants a TeamOne 2 Wizard aka Abra Cadabra AAB, end of production!

By pinhead52

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0634 (resized).jpeg
20230722_121959_resized (resized).jpg
20221113_110309 (resized).jpg
IMG_0653 (resized).jpeg
20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
20230728_171900_resized (resized).jpg
4E978FE7-72DA-44E5-90B2-9B99A4704EC1 (resized).jpeg
20230213_170012_resized (resized).jpg
20230104_101846_resized (resized).jpg
20230106_095411_resized (resized).jpg
20230104_101829_resized (resized).jpg
20190514_180557 (resized).jpg
20220915_105758_resized (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I am looking for folks who love Abra Cadabra and had wished Gottlieb had brought out an Add A Ball version. There is now a potential to accomplish that.

In a sense Gottlieb did when they released Team One 2 years later. However Team One just has not seen the interest due to the art package. It has a really good game play to it but certainly is not an A list game, a real sleeper.

Gottlieb in 1971 produced a sample game (AAB) called Wizard probably for the Italian market only (see IPDB for images). The backglass is very similar to the 1975 Abra Cadabra but the body/pf looks nothing like the 1975 game.

What I am proposing to do is contract to get playfields and backglasses made (25 of each) that allows the sleeper game to get the attention it deserves and save the game and make it a centerpiece in our collections.

As a first step into developing retheme kits (and generating enough interest) Ive pulled together a sample Wizard game, pics below. I have taken a reproduction WK Abra playfield and had a local artist change all the scoring labels to match the features of Team One. I also had a couple of needed inserts added by Wade as well. Picture of the raw pf below. Next I worked another photoshop artist to blend the original Wizard backglass art with the “better’ Abra backglass art AND pull in the features of Team One. Certainly trade-offs were made to avoid having to develop a completely new lightboard.

A long story, jumping to the punch line, I looking for 15 folks willing to provide a deposit on a retime kit. (Have 8 so far) With this I’ll contract with Wade for (ie pre-buy) 25 pfs and backglasses. And then either sell a conversion kit with complete instructions or send me a Team One and I’ll convert it for you. I will also have a limited number of Wizard games for sale as well. (Some folks may have noticed Ive been hoarding Team Ones, Im up to 6 so far).

This “sample” Wizard game will be at Texas Pinball Festival for play. Come out and try it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/89563

20191225_122621_resized (resized).jpg20191225_122621_resized (resized).jpg20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg20190929_123343_resized (resized).jpg20190929_123343_resized (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I'm interested but at this point do not have a Team One. Will need to pick one up. Allentown had a nice one last year. I would like to do the conversion myself. Seem like a interesting project. I do have a Abra Ca Dabra. Any idea on the price of the kit. Thanks.

Still working out the details with Wade but it will be very similar to what you'd pay for a new pf from Wade and a new bg from Ron or Shay.

Rough Team Ones seem to go in the $500 price range so its very affordable for the do-it-yourselfers.

Pinball Pimp has adjusted his Abra stencils to fit the TeamOne deeper cab.

AND... we are toying with using the letters W I Z A R D instead of the 1 2 3 4 5 6 on the inserts. I will supply the corresponding W and D dip targets.

Another change from the sample, I used the bonus ladder of the Abra pf to indicate the achieved WOWs, normally on the bg. In production we'd move them back to the backglass.

In a day or 2 I'll generate and maintain a list. Ive set my threshold at 15 presigns, have 8 so far. Shouldnt take long to get 7 more.

Ken

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Team One" is one of the later add-a-ball games which allows a maximum of five extra balls per ball in play, regardless of where the regular ball in play counter is. "Gold Strike" is the last one which allows more than five "WOW" balls per ball in play if, as you said, the ball count is less than five. Starting with "Bank Shot", all Gottlieb add-a-ball games only allow up to five "WOW" balls per ball in play, regardless of American or Italian markets. The only difference is that the Italian backglasses do not indicate extra balls with any text (such as "WOW"). I do realize that even the earlier Italian add-a-ball games, such as "Lucky Strike", only allow up to five extra balls per ball in play, so maybe that's what you're saying.

Yes, Team One has 5 flags indicating WOW on the bg. My sample Wizard has 5 inserts indicating WOWs. For the production we will put the 5 indicators on the bg probably in the form of red "lit" orbs in the style of the original Wizard game.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

That's tempting. I think I love my Team One too much though.

Yea there will be folks that dont want to destroy their TeamOnes. However if you have a rough TeamOne now, its highly unlikely anybody would make a repro bg. Out of the machines Ive collected so far one has a very nice pf, will certainly offer that up to exiting TO owners that may want an upgrade.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Very interested but would need to see a price before I commit

A Wade pf is $700, a Shay glass is $350. This is our target for the kit. I would think we can hit this for pre-buys, ie you send us $300 as a deposit, fully refundable if we dont pull the trigger and layout $25K up front OR dont get you a pf in 6-9 months. I expect we'll charge a 20% premium for kit sales after we sign up/make the outlay.

Of course I'll offer conversion services.

I have 8 confirmed and 3 "interested", would like to get 15 deposits as the trigger and take a risk on 10 more. I'll have this at TPF for play and hope the judges favor a best original award.

#19 4 years ago

Ok here's the list so far. Havnt taken a single deposit yet, still checking on a few things, liability ins etc. In one instance an individual has shipped me their TO, would think they are pretty committed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I understand the PF swap, hopefully, would be fairly straight forward,
but would there be much work involved (modifications) to rework the backbox light baffle
to get all the feature lights
and highlighted lit areas to match up with lit bulbs in backbox's light baffle (from Team One donor game)?
Or if you buy a PF from Wade would he also provide a new light baffle board?
What about the plastic set?
Assume AbraCaDabra sets are available from someone and how much?
About $100 each set, hopefully they come with multiple plastics near flippers that always tend to break.
Also need to figure in cost for new pop bumper caps and bodies. ~$50-100.

Yea Pimp has modified stencils for $150

Yea the pf swap will be straight forward. You'll probably want to replace all the lamp sockets etc and other misc, flipper coils, pop coils etc.

the lightboard, it took me about 6 hours to redo the lightboard because I made some poor choices. When we finalize the design I want to minimize this for the DIYers in the crowd. We could do a radical departure from the TeamOne layout, use the original Wizard glass as is but then we'd have to have a new lightboard cut and maybe 15 hours to swap stuff over. I dont think the crowd would be as receptive to that. So I want to make it very easy to change up.

Anytime you do a restore on a game you are going to drop $400 in parts.

Pinwiztom I'll put you down as interested.

Pinball rescue has the standard plastics set. The only thing really missing will be the dip targets. Ive gotten somebody to 3D print these, we'll need stickers for the W and D we'll use, supplied in the kit.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Could you post a photo of your Wizard BG from a rear view?
Would the Wizard AAB have novelty setting and have BG light bulb scoring for beyond 100K?

YES! cant loose novelty mode, I just love it on my Neptune. Here is a composite of the Wizard glass showing the novelty scoring.

I do want to show WOW scoring on the glass, will probably not have it on a diagonal like team one, as I mention in an earlier post tempting to use red orbs like the original Wizard glass.

And yes we will get this approved thru the Gottlieb rights holder.

KH SPECIAL (resized).jpgKH SPECIAL (resized).jpg
#29 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Seems like it would also be possible to build this in an original 1975 style cabinet with the earlier coin door. That seems like the only real difference mechanically. If someone had an extra Abra cabinet. perhaps the conversion uses the team one back box insert? For the lighting layout and Wows.?

yea any 70's shallow cab would do if they want to closely match Abra. And yes will reuse the TO lightboard.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from mongi:

I sold a home use only team one last year for 1K . It was like brand new inside and out. I know where's another HUO team one but I think the price would be streap. Good luck on your venture.

650 TeamOnes produced? I have found 5 so far in the 400-600 price range. Was figuring I'll get some more competition now

1 month later
#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I actually really like the idea of WOWs on the playfield, similar to the bonus structure of Abra/Wizard.

Me too. But so far the polling data suggests it needs to be on the backglass at least. it would be nice to have it both places. It would be a minor pain in rewiring for the kit buyers.

Had my prototype out at a pub last night last night and it got a lot of play.

Will be getting serious with Wade on production as soon as he finishes C37.

Ken

20200314_151807_resized (resized).jpg20200314_151807_resized (resized).jpg
#40 4 years ago

A kit to convert your own machine or would you buy one of the 6-8 games I'll have available?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Good point, didn't think about that!

Hey Dono, do me a fav and look into the scoring at 5 WOWs. It probably just needs a contact on the WOW stepper. Maybe I can incorporate into Wizard

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Just for the record, if anyone does this with a Team One with a nice playfield/backglass I'd love to take them off your hands!

yes ill have a very nice pair...

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

All tribute to reallifepin. Hope that you get a good glass out of this.
I would also like to see if there is an extra nice backglass from someone. My Team One Playfield is pretty good, so it's just a glass with the Reds intact I am looking for.

One of the machines I have does have a nice backglass although Im hesitant to sell it right now, want to get the project started first.

2 weeks later
#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

This mod is now completed, and it works GREAT! Now it does what the playfield says - even if you've maxed out your WOWS - 5K for lit drop targets instead of no score.
I did have an issue where the new MAX WOWS relay, pulsed by the newly added and now closed EOS switch on the Advance WOW unit, was resulting in 3K score on the 5th wow... so I added a switch to score motor 4D into the circuit to delay the timing of the new relay energizing, and added a HOLD switch on this relay to continue enabling this relay until the next ball is kicked to the shooter.
I plan on adding the circuit changes here, and will do that shortly.

great stuff Dono, will be sure to incorporate

#56 4 years ago

Thanks Dono let me mod my sample Wizard and report back. I also have a TO setup I could mod.

5 months later
#58 3 years ago

Ive got a serious deposit with Wade to get this started. He's in the midst of FastDraw pf right now. Would expect that he'll get going after that.

#61 3 years ago

Just hit me up. Ive got about 8 pre-orders out of 25. Selling both a kit and then a complete game, Ive got 5 games in inventory. Once we get the art approved and I have a better idea when Wade will produce I'll post a list of the pre-orders..

#64 3 years ago

Yea NY and CT seem to be the hot bed. There was just one up in marketplace from the Pacific pinball Mus. Ive got a stash of 5 game in anticipation.

production run of 650, Seems like most are still around

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

How much it will cost for buying a Team One with all the Abra Ca Cabra AAB change directly from you?With shipping to Canada?

My pre-buy price Im thiniking $3250. includes all new lamp sockets, plastics, posts etc. as well as pf and bg. Post buy $3650. Shipping to Canada... thats probably $600

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

That's actually reasonable I think. Are you thinking that the cabinet art would match the current Abra art, or perhaps something different?

I would match the existing Abra cab art, you can see a sample game in my first post of this thread. The minor difference is TeamOne is in the bigger late 70's cab where Abra was in the early 70's cab. I had Jeff Miller stretch the Abra art stencils to match the larger cab. MikeO is tempted to use a early 70s cab for his game. If somebody wants it in an early cab that will be a slight upsell. (I can get cabs manufactured for $500)

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Mine is definitely going into an earlier shallower body cabinet.

I just found a Volley, nice pf but trashed cab, Im going to borrow a TO cab for the Volley while I wait on Wade. I'll buy the extra TO large cab from you. Here's the head, (Ive got extra), cab not much better

Just a little Bondo @boilerman?

20201005_130451_resized (resized).jpg20201005_130451_resized (resized).jpg

1 week later
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Reminder to this thread please. If someone is willing to part with a nicer Team One backglass, I would like to get it from you. My reds are flaking/fading.
Yes, I know I can BGrestro it, but was hoping to find original and perhaps cheaper.
Thanks.

I have a glass, really nice with only ink suck marks. pf in this game is next to perfect as well

toglass (resized).jpgtoglass (resized).jpg
6 months later
#75 3 years ago

Great news from Wade, my Wizard project is getting queued up to start.

https://pinballplayfields.wordpress.com/author/wadekrause/

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:Excellent news, looking forward to this. Wade has my Team One to assist him with this project.
What is the reference he makes to Strange World in relation too?

Thats the other pf for this year

#79 3 years ago

Pinballer73, didnt realize you were helping up Wade, i'll certainly reserve a kit for you if you wish. (Wade will not be selling these directly)

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from firefighter:

There’s a Team one for sale in Minneapolis CL for $950 and been there over a month.

sweet we will check it out

2 weeks later
#85 2 years ago

Yes, I'll add you to the list.

And Wade has had some time to work on this project... Here's a teaser!

ABRA-GLASS-WIZARD-W-LIGHT-UP (resized).jpgABRA-GLASS-WIZARD-W-LIGHT-UP (resized).jpg
#86 2 years ago

So far I have confirmed or interested in 17 of the 25 kits
1 Mike O
2 Larry C
3 Jesse
4 Dave B
5 Chris A
6 Don O
7 Bill M
8 Jack G
9 Dave (Houston)
10 Ken for game
11 Pinballer73
12 fingersport
13 ChipScott pinside
14 VGC1612
15 ben chertok33 pinside
16 Shay
17 Moe pinside

#89 2 years ago

Updated list

Name
1 Mike O
2 Larry C
3 Jesse
4 Dave B
5 Chris A
6 Don O
7 Bill M
8 Jack G
9 Dave (Houston)
10 Ken for game
11 Pinballer73 pinside
12 fingersport pinside
13 ChipScott pinside
14 VGC1612 pinside
15 ben chertok33 pinside
16 Shay
17 Topcard pinside

Besides the kits I'll have 4-5 converted games for direct sales, Ive snagged a handful of TO's so far.

3 weeks later
#90 2 years ago

Yet another Team One bought up for the project, a little pricey but will look to offer up the pf to TeamOne owners who want an upgrade. (Seriously if there are any TO owners out there jonesin ... i can part with a pf nowish and just leave the bottom side in a box)

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

If anybody is traveling Minneapolis to Dallas and wants some gas money, Ive got a pin that needs a ride. Its stashed with a good buddy and if nothing else I'll retrieve it when I hit the Chicago show in October. I'll have to bring my prototype Wizard to generate interest. Hopefully the pf's/bgs will be done by then.

Ken

1 week later
#91 2 years ago

Some proto art received, now Im getting excited... Hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll see a pf design... then its off for approvals...

#92 2 years ago

Here's the updated "interested" list, and revised again, apparently Stu doesnt want 3 kits only one. I should probably reserve one for Wade?

Name
1 Mike O
2 Larry C
3 Dave B
4 Chris A
5 Don O
6 Bill M
7 Jack G
8 Dave (Houston)
9 Ken for game
10 Stu C Pinballer73
11 fingersport
12 ChipScott pinside
13 VGC1612
14 ben chertok33 pinside
15 Shay
16 Topcard pinside
17 Rob B

17 out of 25, still not too shabby.

#93 2 years ago

list update

Name
1 Mike O
2 Larry C
3 Dave B
4 Chris A
5 Don O
6 Bill M
7 Jack G
8 Dave (Houston)
9 Ken for game
10 Stu C Pinballer73
11 fingersport
12 ChipScott pinside
13 VGC1612
14 ben chertok33 pinside
15 Shay
16 Topcard pinside
17 Rob B
18 TimMe pinside

#96 2 years ago

Team One #6 received (sort of, at a buddy in Minneapolis ). Anybody need a TO pf?

#97 2 years ago

Another tease...pf art being finalized. getting really close folks

1 month later
#99 2 years ago

Big news, preliminary art has been approved and licensing worked out. Now to work with Wade and get a production schedule worked out. For everybody on the interest list expect to hear from me shortly.

Kit composition
1. Wade pf
2. Wade bg
3. Wade light baffle
4. Rescue Abra plastics
5. Dip targets
6. detailed instructions

You'll need drop targets from PBR and other stuff and extended Abra stencils from da Pimp.

Besides kits I'll be selling finished "Wizard" games, have a stock of 5-6 games. Also have one conversion lined up (somebody delivered a TO to me)

Year end is my expectation for kits.

Ken

20210625_124335 (resized).jpg20210625_124335 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#100 2 years ago

Ok gang. Licensing completed thru Mondial, preliminary design approved by them and Steve. Wade lined up and production tentatively scheduled. By year end is the commitment.

Kit composition
1. Wade pf
2. Wade bg
3. Wade light baffle
4. Rescue Abra plastics
5. Dip targets
6. Instruction Cards
7. detailed instructions for mounting the baffle and rewiring the lightboard (not too difficult)

You'll need 10 drop targets from Steve as well as new pop caps (Im suggesting Neutron Star). Pinball Pimp has the Abra stencils for a TO deep cab.

Pr-delivery pricing $1295, will ask for a $300 deposit.

I will start reaching out to the folks on the list.

Thanks
ken

#102 2 years ago

Sold 4 kits and 3 games in the first day... not bad

Ken

#104 2 years ago

7 kits so far. If Ive missed anybody reach out to me!

#105 2 years ago

For you northeast folks, a TeamOne in NJ, $750 is my estimate. needs a new pf and backglass, i happen to know who could help with that...

ebay.com link: itm

#106 2 years ago

Hey gang, over half of the kits are committed 14 out of 25, 11 left.

3 pinsiders Ive not heard from

fingersport
ChipScott
VGC1612

#107 2 years ago

Another kit sold (pending deposit). 15 accounted for, 10 left.

I will be a vendor at the Chicago Expo show, will have my sample "Wizard" avail for play as well as a newly acquired Team One to show the "before".

Hope all the local EM folk stop by to say hi.

Ken

1 month later
#108 2 years ago

Catch me at the Chicago Expo next weekend (Friday sat). I'll have my sample wizard as well as an orginal TeamOne...

Ken

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looking forward to checking these out. Any updates on Wade's progress with playfield and backglass?

He has the pf blanks, got the holes drilled and was fitting the inserts... end of yea or early next...

Ken

#112 2 years ago

Wizard and TeamOne at Expo

20211028_183204.jpg20211028_183204.jpg
#114 2 years ago

Anybody at Expo today, stop by and say hello

20211030_104608.jpg20211030_104608.jpg
#116 2 years ago

Great weekend at Expo, another kit and complete game pre-sold, 15 out of 25.

Need to find a couple more TeamOnes...

1 month later
#118 2 years ago

Just exchanged emails with Wade, he feels that Wizard pieces will be done by mid Feb.

He ran into issues with the clear on El Dorado which held him up a month or 2. (El D should be shipping real soon!)

And just picked up my 8th and 9th TeamOnes. With 6 presold I have 3 available. For a production run of only ~600 they certainly seem plentiful.

Setting aside 3 kits for these games Im down to only 7 kits left!

Ken

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Hopefully that's still enough time for you to have one ready to show off at TPF.

Well I have my sample game. And then a loose updated pf/bg would work. Always good to put a little fudge time on dates

2 weeks later
#123 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Hey Ken, do you have any surplus Team One plastics from your conversions?

yes I do... let me know what you need. Havnt started any yet but I have a pf loose right now.

pfs too. I had one really nice bg but its sold.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I like your conversions but just picked up a clean sample game and couldn't bring myself to change it. Anyway, I need the two little ones toward the bottom and the "Y" shaped one towards the top.

Was this a 2 1/2 hour drive for you? Quite a conversation on FB about somebody trying to buy it away from a guy having to drive a distance?

I'll check the pf for the pieces

1 week later
#128 2 years ago

Update, 9 kits pre-ordered, 8 complete games pre-ordered. Got 1 game left. 17 out of 25 pre-ordered.

A couple of people have asked for pricing to deliver the game in the early 70's cab (as opposed to the TeamOne late 70's cab). Thats going to be about an $800 add (new cab thou).

Another option is to have the pf clear coated... $200 on that one.

Wade says mid Feb...

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from rocketman:

I haven’t seen this being asked, if I missed the post, please let me know the post #. What would it take to convert an Abra Ca Dabra to a Wizard? Thinking an add a ball count unit, adding Wow and moving other bulbs on light board, wiring as needed.
Thanks

A lot of rewiring and sourcing the unique AAB WOW stepper in the head. TeamOne has all the hardware, we are proverbially putting lipstick on a pig with the art change to Abra AAB/Wizard

#132 2 years ago

I just had a couple of cabs manufactured, these are the shallow "Abra" style cabs instead of the deeper TeamOne/Wizard cab. With the extra door hardware needed I can offer this option for Wizard for $700. let me know if anybody is interested...

And here's a tease from Wade, glasses are being printed.

20220105_113247siz (resized).jpg20220105_113247siz (resized).jpgcabs (resized).jpgcabs (resized).jpg
#134 2 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

What wood type was used, pine, poplar? Cost of cabinet?

basic cabinet plywood. $400 okc area

1 week later
#135 2 years ago

A couple of people have asked for pricing to deliver the game in the early 70's cab (as opposed to the TeamOne late 70's cab). Thats going to be $800 add! (new cab thou).

New door, new bezel, new strike plate, and of course new legs. I will be using sharkfin lockdown bars, Steve had 2 NOS receivers...

Another option is to have the pf clear coated... $200 on that one.

Let me know if anybody wants either option.

#136 2 years ago

Another note, I will be driving to Allentown this year...sample Wizard, maybe even a completed Wizard in hand. Although the kits could be shipped out early march, if anybody wants to pick up their kit there and save the $100 or so... LMK

Shay, pick up Wizard in Allentown?

Ken

#137 2 years ago

I have kit pricing at $1295 prior to the end of Feb (expected delivery), I have 7 kits left out of 25. Pricing will go to $1495 after delivery. Shipping extra.

I have 1 game available, $3500 before end of Feb, 3950 after.

Options, pf clear coat $200

thanks

Ken

#138 2 years ago

A quick update, Wade is busy in the shop with Wizard bg and pf. End of Feb and then the approval process, guessing 2-3 weeks for that with shipping etc. Should be able to show the pieces at Texas Pinball Festival, toward the end of March.

I have pre-sold ALL 9 complete game packages, exhausted my stock of TeamOnes. (Anybody have a rough TeamOne to sell me? pickup at AllenTown)

I have 7 kits remaining.

Anybody want to pick up their kit at Allentown?

I'd like to have a game ready for Atown as well.

Let me know if anybody else wants the clear coat option

I am amazed at the support for this project, thanks gang.

Ken

#139 2 years ago

One note on the cab option... I will be using fin style lockdown bars from TeamOne. The receivers will not allow a coin chute to be installed, ie no use of coins with the shallow Abra cab UNLESS the buyer sources me a button style lockdown bar (I do have a couple extra receivers...).

Minor trouble in pinball paradise.

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Hi Ken... I'll pick up my kit in Atown... what clear product is being used, and who's doing that work? How many coats - can we specify?
Thanks!
Don O

Keith Holbook is doing the clear for me, his material PPG 2021 DX61 hardener Advantage slow reducer Ppg fisheye eliminator.

His process for new Wade pf's: Wet sand with 2000 and then one application (3 passes 15 minutes apart). Followed by 3000 wet sand 24 hours later and polish with Magyars Power Compound.

You certainly can get additional coats as you want

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

So what are you saying, Wade's clear coat isn't enough?

For home use its fine. Clearing will speed up the game...

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think Ken said Wade doesn't use a moden clearcoat on his playfields. I believe he finishes them with similar techniques that were used back in the EM era. If I'm incorrect Ken can elaborate.

Yes, Wade is very true to the original finishes, a couple coats of lacquer as the final seal.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Looks like I’m in, any team ones floating around Chicago or fs at Allentown?

Watch Milwaukee CL, I found one there... Also Minneapolis.

I got offered 1 at Allentown for $2000, a little steep for a retheme. 500-800 is the sweet spot

1 month later
#152 2 years ago

Nice TeamOne on ebay, Long, Island
ebay.com link: itm

1 week later
#154 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looks like it sold for just under $1300. Getting harder to find Team One donor games for this for under 1K.

Yea, that one was in very nice shape.

#155 2 years ago

Quick update. Wade is now done printing the pf's. He had some bleed to correct on a small set of boards He is now sealing and then cutting...

On the backglasses, issues there, he has to start over. My expectation now is early April. Expect to delivery some of the kits at Allentown Pinfest.

I have 8 for post clear coat (Larry, Bert, Wes, Dave, Brian, NW_mike, Jesse, Mark). Let me know if anybody else wants clearing.

And 4 for Abra cab mods.

6 kits out of 25 left, no more games, sold all 8 (one sent me their game for redo, so 9 to build)

Latest supply issue, PBR out of legs... dang, may need to powdercoat and deliver with those.

Ken

1 week later
#156 2 years ago

I have found 1 more TeamOne, will pick up at the Allentown show in early May. If somebody want to buy it direct and pick up there, I'd sell it. Otherwise I have one more complete Wizard games for sale.

11 kits, 9 games presold, 21 out of 25. Only 4 left! (I am amazed)

Wade reports the playfields are done and he's half way thru printing the glasses. Like 12 colors, each a separate print then dry etc.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

You’re counting me on your totals right? Just picked up that TO today .now i gotta call PBR and then talk to Pimp @ TPF.

Yes, you are kit #11! Thx Bryan

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Will the fix detailed by Dono for the 5000/WOW scoring bug be something you will offer as an option?

Yes!

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I have found 1 more TeamOne, will pick up at the Allentown show in early May. If somebody want to buy it direct and pick up there, I'd sell it. Otherwise I have one more complete Wizard games for sale.
11 kits, 9 games presold, 21 out of 25. Only 4 left! (I am amazed)
Wade reports the playfields are done and he's half way thru printing the glasses. Like 12 colors, each a separate print then dry etc.

Looks like I failed math... 9 and 11 is 20... However I just sold another complete game, 10 games, 11 kits, 21, now Im at 4 left!

Wade has provided a sample pf, come see it at Texas Pinball Festival

#163 2 years ago

I am now "sold out" 23 out of 25 with 2 held in reserve just in case! (will build a waiting list for the 2 reserve and Wade may have a couple over 25 as well)

I am astounded at the support.

And my sample "Wizard" won best 70's EM at Texas Pinball Festival! It was playing very good, a lot of nice compliments.

Here a booth shot, Cleopatra (needs a paint job), a TeamOne, Wizard and a very nice Satellite.

Ken

tpfplaque (resized).jpgtpfplaque (resized).jpg

20220327_084204 (resized).jpg20220327_084204 (resized).jpg
#167 2 years ago

Update from Wade... glasses done, real soon now. Approval process next.

imagejpeg_0002 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0002 (resized).jpg
#170 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I would have omitted the "previous high score" patch. That's one thing I really dislike about add-a-ball games. I think it really detracts from the look of the backglass.

Conflicted on a number of items... consistency versus overall aesthetics...

find me another TO please. See you really soon.

And look thru your parts bin for a early 70s receiver since Im using an Abra cab for half of these.

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from Judoratt:

I was hoping he would keep the skip in the black outline. But I am probably the only one concerned about that. This project is really coming together exceptionally.
[quoted image]

I do love the red flame up the middle.

#174 2 years ago

Folks, things are lining up for me to be able to deliver kits at Allentown. I have #dono and #bangerjay for pickup (Shay for a complete game). Anybody else? Hit me up.

Sold out at 23 of 25, 2 in reserve, will put folks on a waiting list.

Ken

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Ken,
I also requested Allentown pickup. I'd also like the clear coat option for mine done as well.
Thanks

have you down for CCoat and now Allentown pickup

thanks

#177 2 years ago

And a kit has become available.

Ken

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

have you down for CCoat and now Allentown pickup
thanks

Actually folks... with the clear coating step we may have an issue making the Allentown show deadline... stay tuned.

2 weeks later
#179 2 years ago

Wade's playfields and backglasses have now been approved!!! Time to get busy. First I got to arrange shipment from Fresno...

Most of the pf's need to be clearcoated, first step.

ABRA-GLASS-WIZARD-W-LIGHT-UP (resized).jpgABRA-GLASS-WIZARD-W-LIGHT-UP (resized).jpgpfupdate (resized).jpegpfupdate (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#181 1 year ago

Thanks for your kind words Derrick. Im just sorry its taking so long to get these done. Actually doing a 2fer paint on the next Wizards. PFs are hopefully getting cleared this weekend.

20220607_135032_resized (resized).jpg20220607_135032_resized (resized).jpg
#184 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I am so tempted to convert my Team One to a Wizard.

If your TO pf is ratty then it is tempting. I do have a couple of replaced TO pfs that Im selling. Backglasses are an issue for TO, Ive got 4 or 5 glasses sitting here all bad. If there wasnt a licensing issue I'd be tempted to reproduce

I have two unreserved kits although these will be filled with Wades over runs and slight imperfections, will clearly provide pics.

I do want to get all the kits successfully shipped out (no broken glass) and then I'll start fulfilling the orders on the wait list (need 3 TO games) and well as these two unreserved kits.

#185 1 year ago

Art painting today... 1 color per side per day... especially when its so humid.

#187 1 year ago

pf's getting cleared...

#188 1 year ago

I pick up the cleared pfs a week Saturday... In the meantime Im getting two Wizards ready for shipment to the NW, serials 8003 and 8004.

About 8 hours of effort in reworking the lightboard. Building the TeamOne game into new Abra shallow cabs is a lot of work!

I have used both sharkfin lockdown bars on these abra cabs BUT if the buyer wants a working coinslot Ive got to use a button style bar (converted sharkfin)

Of course I also have to route out a coinslot gap on the pf, now thats a pain!

20220523_204952_resized (resized).jpg20220523_204952_resized (resized).jpg20220616_190755_resized (resized).jpg20220616_190755_resized (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#190 1 year ago

ok gang, finally got the bulk of the pieces. They went from Wade to KC where 18 pfs were cleared 4, were not and Ive already delivered on (3 kits, 3 complete games).

We ended up with too many cleared pf's and not enough uncleared... Will reach out to the folks taking the uncleared and see if somebody can take a cleared

I hope to get the kits sent out in the next two weeks.

Ken

lotofpf (resized).jpglotofpf (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#191 1 year ago

Well gang, only one playfield and glass left! I ordered 25 from Wade, Wade actually produced 28 kits with 3 of them being minor seconds.

I am down to ONLY one left.

Still need 3 more Team Ones. I have built 5, have 7 more on hand, finding 3 more will bring the total build to 15. 12 have been sold a DIY kits.

Building 2 per month, 2 Aug, 2 Sept, 2 Oct and if I dont find any more then only 1 in Nov.

By any measure this has been a huge success and a lot of fun to overcome the challenges. I truly appreciate the support from the pinball community.

Now if Steve would hurry up and get us some 31 inch legs!

20220418_140231_resized (resized).jpg20220418_140231_resized (resized).jpg

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Wizard won best EM at the 2022 YEGPIN Pinball and Arcade Expo. Had rave reviews from a number of competitive players. [quoted image]

Great news Derrick! Amazing.

#198 1 year ago

Only need 2 more

1 month later
#203 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

One of my favorite things about Team One is the scoring up to 1,000,000 I wish all EM's had those features.

1,999,990 I'll have you know!

The late 70s aabs for gtb had this, Neptune and lucky hand come to mind besides Wiz

#208 1 year ago
Quoted from dmarston:

I think Brian Hawkins and I will attempt to do the mod as well. From my inspection of the Team One schematic, I recommend that you plan on leaving the Play Mode adjustment plug in the Add-A-Ball position, and break out the 100K step-up as discussed in the seminar. Choose which function (Wow Count or 100Ks) will be on the new stepper unit based on what stepper you have available.
Here are some observations specific to Team One. The general setup of Team One is very similar to Neptune (but simpler) in the areas relative to the mod. One notable difference: the Ball Count Unit on Team One resets to the zero position and steps up ball by ball, with Game Over being at step 6, as it would be on a replay game of that era. The lights have been reversed, as can be seen at 4A to 4C on the schematic.
AX and JX are interlock relays that have the same function as discussed in the seminar. The AX Reset line can be seen at row 14 of the schematic. It's the same as Neptune except that the Ball Count Unit must be at 0 rather than 6. The new stepper will need to have its zero-position switch added in line as discussed beginning at 32:25 in the seminar video.
Adding wows, and the associated knocking, would still be handled by the orange-blue wire seen at 9E. That wire goes to the add coil on whichever unit you designate as the Wow Count Unit. The carry-over from 10Ks to 100Ks is the white-red wire seen at 10E. That wire goes to the add coil on whichever unit you designate as the 100K Unit, and also to JX to allow flexibility of score awards, as discussed in the seminar. The adventurous modder who has a spare interlock relay in stock could also have differing score levels in the 200K range by cascading JX with another interlock relay. With this extra mod, you could have extra balls awarded at 70K, 150K, 240K, 340K, 440K, etc. as an example.
I suppose you could do the cascading interlock relays without the additional stepper unit if you don't expect scores to get very far into the hundred thousands.
Many of the other pins in the Play Mode adjustment plug pertain to the outlandish giveaway of points associated with Novelty Mode. These would thwart the designer's intent if applied in Add-A-Ball Mode, and that's a separate discussion about how generous you want your game to be.
.................David Marston

How about using an extra score reel with its board to drive the lights? The advantage is you could easily incorporate it into the startup seq as a 5th reel. Of course the reel isnt visable. And reels are a lot easier to find then a stepper. Also simpler to visualize/incorporate...

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

How about using an extra score reel with its board to drive the lights? The advantage is you could easily incorporate it into the startup seq as a 5th reel. Of course the reel isnt visable. And reels are a lot easier to find then a stepper. Also simpler to visualize/incorporate...

adding a relay you could get it to click on at 1M, and then achieve 1.2 1.3 1.4 mil etc

#212 1 year ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Quick answers:
It would get you scores up to 999K, which is probably enough. The add 100K function would be using the white-red wire I already mentioned. If you want end-of-stroke functionality, note that this new reel would be driven off relay L (same as the 10K reel) for end-of-stroke purposes.
You could probably think of some creative uses for the 9th position switch on the reel. Like add a 1 million interlock relay that works like JX and lights the "1,000,000" light in the backglass. If you do that, you have to reset the interlock parallel to resetting JX.
Driving the lights off the board should be fine.
The part that needs some design work is resetting this new reel. Note that unlike the stepper-unit subtract coil we discuss in the seminar, you must run the add coil upward to zero, and have a switch that closes at zero rather than opens, plus the other zero position switch that opens to stop pulses from going to that reel. All of that must be isolated from the logic that adds 100K during game play (i.e., no back paths through the reset circuit). That may very well push the situation over the edge and force the splitting of AX into two reset relays, as we mention in the seminar. Splitting AX would mean additional design work; I think you want the one doing score reels subservient to the "main" AX, but I haven't worked through all the implications.
.................David Marston

I would just daisy chain the reel off of the 10K reel. use the same pules, wired thru middle contact it would stop at zero etc. It just seems logical to extend it from 4 reels to 5 reels. And extra reels are readily available...

May have to pick on my sample Wizard for this mod.

#213 1 year ago

Interesting a buddy just chatted with me wondering why there was a williams reel in his Poseidon. I assume its driving the lights.

#215 1 year ago

Ok reviewing a TeamOne schematic... it seems pretty straight forward to add a 5th reel.

The reset, similar to the 10K reel, the 100K reel would be pulse thru its runout switch. I would just utilize the existing AX contact for the 10K reel for the 100K reel (too much load for a single contact?)

On the drive side of things, move the JX function to 1M lamp function, turned on by the 9th position on the 100K reel. And then drive the 100K reel from the 9s rollover or do we add a "K" relay (N, M, L,...)? Probably add a relay to better emulate the other 4 reels.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#218 1 year ago
Quoted from Dono:

Great info. For my game, I'm going with no additional free balls on score (keeping recommended free ball scores as is). Will add an additional score reel and drive that with logic similar to what's been discussed for the lights. No need for a 1M light, since it's highly unlikely 1M scores would be accomplished. Will think about options to drive and reset the reel, will be interesting.

Yea the AX relay is pretty full, cant add an extra blade (easily?)

But yea unless you have 50K targets you'll be hard pressed to get very far... (change the 5K scoring to 50K )

#220 1 year ago

Wizards 8 and 9 are done and will get delivered at Chicago Expo. Also I restored an Abra, Wade pf, Webb glass that will be for sale at the show.

And an Italian FB buddy sent me a pic of a local knockoff of the original Wizard bg from 1971

Starting to work on Wizards 10 and 11. Will pick up 2 TeamOnes at Expo that will be 12 and 13. And I have a wait list for the last three as soon as I find more TeamOnes...

20220915_105758_resized (resized).jpg20220915_105758_resized (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 month later
#223 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

With multiple machines to do, makes sense to use a laser cut or CNC hardboard or brass stencil! Reusable. Would look more authentic than a vinyl stencil.

Yea, I do have oilboard stock, could have cut my own. I use this for my KoD repaints, fuzzy edges.

I havnt found a resource with a big enough bed to cut 1 piece stencils, at least not locally.

20190514_180557 (resized).jpg20190514_180557 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#225 1 year ago

Wizard #12 serial 8025 complete... moving on to lucky 13.

Need one more TeamOne for Wiz #16 (have them for 13 14 15)

AND I am in search of a Wade Abra pf for another restore April timeframe...

And looking to build another Evel Knievel EM, anybody want one?

20230104_101829_resized (resized).jpg20230104_101829_resized (resized).jpg20230106_095411_resized (resized).jpg20230106_095411_resized (resized).jpg

20230104_101846_resized (resized).jpg20230104_101846_resized (resized).jpg
2 months later
#226 1 year ago

Wizard #14 now complete and awaiting shipping, the last of the shallow cabs. Two more to build but I need one more TeamOne to build #16

And Jay at ipdb has honored me with an entry for Wizard...

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6994

20230213_170012_resized (resized).jpg20230213_170012_resized (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#231 1 year ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Took my cabinet in a different direction, gave it to a local artist and said do whatever you want..
[quoted image]

Very cool

3 months later
#232 9 months ago

Well gang a fun little project. Today I built/finnished the final Wizard, about 2 weeks start to finish. Being number 16 (17 if you count the sample game I made up) Ive had some serious practice doing it.

28 pieces from Wade released last April. 12 sold as DIY kits, and 16 sold as complete games. Amazing I could find the TeamOnes and the willing buyers.

Jay at ipdb.org has honored me with an entry https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=7010

It was quite the learning experience and Im very appreciative of the response from the pinball community.

Picture below is of serial 8028. I started at 8001 (I think Shay got that one, delivered at 2022 Allentown). The DIYers were assigned serial numbers (paint stencils) in the low numbers and most of my builds were 8016 and up.

I know of 3 DIYs finishing their builds, love to see pictures from more builds. MikeO gitter done!

I have one Wizard left, the original sample game I put together with a reworked Abra pf (Wade added a couple of inserts for me)

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/161339

End of my Wizard era. Thanks again to everybody that supported me.

Now to get busy and build some more Bally Evel Knievel EMs (from Night Riders). Ive done two so far, and now orders for 3 more.

20230728_171900_resized (resized).jpg20230728_171900_resized (resized).jpg
#235 9 months ago
Quoted from ChipS:

Are you taking orders for the Evel Knievel EM? How much are they?

Yes I am. $8750. Send me a PM and we can chat. Here's the two clones, an original EK EM and a SS lined up at TPF 2022

20220325_121731 (resized).jpg20220325_121731 (resized).jpg
#247 9 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

I got sidetracked with other projects but I'm trying to get my conversion done in time for Pintastic show Sept 7-10.
Doing the playfield swap at the moment.[quoted image]

Hey have a look at your pbr batch of drop targets. They had a minor issue with the hot stamp machine. Steve sent me a new set (but not before I installed these.)

20230722_121959_resized (resized).jpg20230722_121959_resized (resized).jpg
1 month later
#248 7 months ago

I have one left over Wizard glass, slight scratch on the glass side. Anybody want a backup for their game?

Ken

3 weeks later
#251 6 months ago

Shay Asad is selling quite a list of games

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/139771

Here's one that caught my eye.

37. Wizard (Ken Head) – MINT Ser #0001 - $5500

I built 4-5 Wizards in a "shallow" abra style cab, they came out very nice. It has a new cab that I had built by a cab maker in OKC.

Here's a pic from ipdb.org

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=6994&picno=83450&zoom=1

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-wants-a-gottlieb-wizard-conversion-kit?tu=pinhead52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.