6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wdennie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So I just purchased new cabinet side art that is called next gen, hoping it came with instructions
    but it didn't. This is my first time, so my question is, are these just decal's that you just stick on?
    if so, do you put them on wet or dry? and what else might need to be done when installing?
    I noticed the art is larger than the cabinet so obviously there must be trimming.

#2 6 years ago

There are a number of youtube videos you can take a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=apply+pinball+decals

There are also several restoration threads on the forums detailing the process. For professional level jobs, I'd suggest some of the threads posted by @high_end_pins.

Very briefly: remove/sand off the old artwork, fill in any pits in the wood, stand, prime, (repeat previous steps if needed), paint, apply decals, and trim.

For applying, there are wet and dry methods. Each method has some pros and cons.

If you have questions about certain portions of the process, feel free to ask

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Forceflow.

#4 6 years ago

Cabinet preparation is 90%, decal application is 10%.

Do the coin door decal first, then the sides. Pre-trim the white excess from the decal from the side that would be the cabinet base as this will be your method for alignment. The top doesn't matter as much as this will be covered by the lockdown bar and siderails.

Dry method works for me as a one person operation - align at the front and then peel off one inch of the backing sheet at a time smoothing it out as you go. I have done wet method and even Chris at HEP does a light mist before applying but for some OCD people like me the temptation to keep adjusting the decal becomes too great and you'll end up screwing up the adhesive by constantly moving it back and forth. Others might disagree, but align it right before sticking it down the first time with the dry method and you won't have to adjust it.

Next gen is a much thicker (durable?) decal material than some of the other alternatives and any minor imperfections in the cabinet substrate are nearly always invisible as a result.

#5 6 years ago

Make sure you use a new, sharp blade to trim the edges

#6 6 years ago

I always liked John's method with the rapid tac, soft clamps and doing one side at a time.

#7 6 years ago

Great advice, thanks guys.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-to-next-gen-cabinet-decal-art?hl=micky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.