3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EvanDickson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

My wife and I have decided to buy our first Pin. Who do people recommend checking into for people just getting into owning Pins?

#3 3 years ago

cointaker.com speak to Melissa

#4 3 years ago

game exchange of colorado JJ is great to deal with.

#5 3 years ago

I dont know if they are trying to buy NIB, but could be.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

My wife and I have decided to buy our first Pin. Who do people recommend checking into for people just getting into owning Pins?

Are you looking into buying new or used?

#7 3 years ago

If buying used, buy from a collector/hobbyist local to you and pick up machine in person. This site, or mr pinball.com, are good places to find such folks.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Are you looking into buying new or used?

Right now used. There isn't really a new pin that interests us that much.

#9 3 years ago

Check out TNT Amusements.

#10 3 years ago

Find some local pinball people in your area. Post a Wanted Craigslist Ad. Bought both of my machines locally from some great guys. Go check them out in person.

#11 3 years ago

Here's another recent thread for you with more information. Good luck!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-looking-for-my-first-game

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

check out the local WI/MN thread. Work with a local to you pinsider. check out http://wisconsinpinball.com/ since you are in WI.

For your first pin, I suggest going to the Midwest gaming classic on April 8-10, play a bunch of games, decide what you like, and then seek it out with the local regiong of collectors.

good luck.

If you want to swing by Madison ever, I would be happy to meet up at one of the locations to play pinball and give you some pointers on stuff to look for when buying your first game.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

If you buy retail you will pay more. Typically a lot more which means you will lose a very large chunk of change when you go to sell it. Now, the upside is that people can recommend reputable retailers who can provide some sort of warranty.

On the other hand if you buy from a known collector, you will save. This is if you do your research and know what the machine is worth. People tend to garner reputations and if you ask local collectors you will find out who to trust. The downside is, just moving the machine can cause issues to crop up. These things do not like being moved. They also like to break, a lot and there won't be a warranty.

Either way you go, collector or retailer, you need to learn about repair. You need to buy tools to deal with issues. The warranty will run out and paying a repair man (if there is one in your area) is very costly.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

check out the local WI/MN thread. Work with a local to you pinsider. check out http://wisconsinpinball.com/ since you are in WI.
    For your first pin, I suggest going to the Midwest gaming classic on April 8-10, play a bunch of games, decide what you like, and then seek it out with the local regiong of collectors.
    good luck.
    If you want to swing by Madison ever, I would be happy to meet up at one of the locations to play pinball and give you some pointers on stuff to look for when buying your first game.

We actually are going to MGC. I've gone a few times in the past when I was into collecting nintendo games. I would greatly appreciate meeting up and getting some good advice!

#15 3 years ago

I know a lot of people don't recommend buying from retailers because you pay more but I think it is a good place to start. The important thing is trying to get a good working machine that has been gone through. It can be overwhelming dealing with a lot of issues at once especially on your first machine. I paid a lot for my first machine but it was delivered working 100% with a warranty. No regrets. Buying a new pin is also a good way to start since you should not have any issues for a long time. The downside is cost. For the same money, you can buy 2 or more older pins.

One thing to consider is that it is hard to stop at just one pin. Having more games means more people can play at the same time and having something to play when one game is down. You will often be buying parts, mods, leds, and such so there are more costs involved than just the buying price. Spending a little extra for a nice pin can sometimes save you money compared to a pin that needs work.

#16 3 years ago

EMs? Maybe, no?

#18 3 years ago

Look around here on Pinside! Do your homework. Figure out what game you want/like/price point and go "heavy" on Pinside. Generally (as long as you do just general "background checks" on the seller) you will find that folks here disclose info and are a good bunch , I think. When you get in trouble or when you could get burned is when a deal is too good to be true! Yeah figure out price points! Don't think you want a headache for a first pin!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside