(Topic ID: 42915)

Who thinks a Pinball Arcade virtual pinball cabinet style release would be cool?

By swinks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Ok, here are my thoughts, what if we can get Farsight Pinball Arcade to release a virtual pinball cabinet release with all the tables.

Just like a virtual pin but in what ever cabinet we want to create. I have the ipad and imac version and yes they are good but would like to be able to turn the screen vertical to get a better larger view of the playfield and have that slight angle view from above similar to other virtual pin cabs with out the image zooming etc.

I know alot of people are not into virtual pins and I don't have one either but there are quite a few games that I could never have a chance in owning but sure would enjoy.

Maybe the guys can create a option for one of the playstation, nintendo, xbox formats (which ever can support the full range) where a setting could be adjusted so the screen can be turned 90 degrees and then we could maybe lay the lcd in a simple frame like a cab simulation all the way to full size pinball cabinet with some sort of ben heck mod to have a easy plug and play flipper button system - saves mucking around with programming computers etc.

Even better if Farsight could have a downloadable table for this system and then we could burn to our own disc in the format that could be played straight away in our game console - would save the hassle and allow a pick and play setup there and then.

I am interested in people's thoughts

#2 11 years ago

I'm betting that Farsight can't afford that. They can barely afford to make new tables and have had to turn to Kickstarter to put out new content. They also don't have an Xbox 360 publisher due to bankruptcy. I believe that the PC version of Pinball FX2 supports a vertical layout and a dual monitor setup and you can built a custom cabinet around that (not sure how you'd program the nudge/tilt physics though). That feature, vertical rotation, on The Pinball Arcade would be more than welcome but I don't see them supporting it. They are now starting to charge customers just to unlock the operator's menu on games despite that feature not even being something that they programmed as it is built stock into the ROMs that they use. When you're charging to unlock features on a ROM that you didn't even program then you've probably got financial issues.

A handful of Xbox 360 arcade games allow the screen to be rotated vertically. I play Ikaruga like that on a rotatable monitor. Not sure if Farsight would do it but they should (and not charge extra for it). You cannot read the inserts on most of their games even on a giant monitor. I'm rocking a 90 inch monitor at the moment and you can't really see the details on most cabinets. If I didn't own a Medieval Madness and have the inserts memorized, I'd have to status check constantly to see which of the blue lights for BFTK are lit or not.

#3 11 years ago

Making your own virtual pin cab is easy enough and the phsyics ate much better then pinball arcade

#4 11 years ago

There plans are to support vpin so you can use it as the interface for a virtual cab.

#5 11 years ago

They are already planning on doing cabinet support on the pc version...eventually. Lots of people are asking for this on their forums.

#6 11 years ago

Ask Markmon he has built more than one. I bought a really nice 3 monitor Hyperpin from him. It is now setup with all fx2 tables as well as any other things I like. It runs win 8 app version so the other night I decided to play some angry birds with my drunk friends on the bigscreen =-)

nudge sensor I think are merely button maps on fx2 not really a true nudge. On my hyperpin he integrated a gyro from a microsoft controller which works great but sometimes will make the physics drift over time and needs recalled. But works great on virtual pinmame.

Been said every time the subject comes up

But thanks again markmon for hooking me up with an a great digital pinball capable of everything.

#7 11 years ago

I play pa on my ipad too, and i still hope for a ipad pinball cabinet.

I have seen some custom modded icades, with pinball buttons on the side, but its not perfect yet.

#8 11 years ago

The pinball fx2 games are so great on a cabinet because they are unique. Anytime you play emulations of real tables there are comparisons made and you lose a lot of the fun factor with things not behaving as they really should. On pinball fx, this is not the case since the tables are all unique (and awesome). The current nudge for my pinball fx2 is a joy2key mapping of the two axis on my accelerometer based controller. It maps to three digital nudges for forward, left, and right. Works ok.

The cabinets on windows 8 can easily and gracefully also run the whole hyperpin platform. But the visual pinball flipper physics are just so awful it's not fun to play. (Yes I'm sure someone will try to claim that adding flashers or kick solenoids will magically fix all this but it doesn't). The whole fact that a setting such as oblique correction exists demonstrates my point. A real 3d engine does not need this sort of hack. Once a 3d player is finished for Visual pinball (currently in the works), it will be way better. It's still neat to have and free if you build a pinball fx2 cabinet.

The physics in pinball arcade are way better mainly just because (like pinball fx2) it has a real 3d physics engine (visual pinball does not, even the ball is a square object internally lol). Unfortunately, the pinball arcade is not workable in portrait mode making it currently worthless in a cabinet build.

But if you're going to go digital, skip all this emulation of real tables crap. So much more can be done with something like pinball fx2. This actually uses the digital world to do things you could not do in real life such as animated characters, super heros that shoot laser beams, Star Wars blasters shooting the ball, etc.

#9 11 years ago

I wish I knew somebody close to me who has done the pinball emulator stuff; I really want to add one to my game room! Yes, I know it isn't "the same," but, for me, that's ok. Like oths have said, there are many machines I will never e able to own, and this provides a great alternative.mthere are also some machines I would likely enjoy once or twice, but don't need the "real" version in my lineup. It's the same reason I like my arcade MAME, for many games, it is enough to hve the MAME, but obviously there are some titles tht are far better in an actual dedicated cabinet

#10 11 years ago

Yep.. virtual pins are great for a tase of everything. TRON is a good example of one that just does not play right on Mame... well.. unless maybe you have a flight stick stuck on top of your control panel and a spinner. (yes I know they CAN be done) Games that have use for a controller with a fire button on top just don't feel right on a Mame system with standard ball joysticks and no spinner...

2 months later
    #11 10 years ago

I have to disagree with you Markmon. I built my Virtual Pinball Cabinet over 2 years ago and I play far more full screen Visual Pinball tables than anything. I setup Pinball FX2 in the cabinet but tired of it quickly. Too many people walking around on the table, no bounce in the physics. Everyone who has seen the modern VP tables has been blown away. Each to their own, but you shouldn't put people off VP because there must be 1000-2000 people that have built cabinets after seeing VP in action with fully operating Backglasses (including EMs) and emulated DMDs. Anyone visiting a Expo should check out VP in a virtual cab. Pinball Arcade will be great but they still need to build the tech for BGs and of course portrait mode - coming soon in Steam.

6 months later
    #12 10 years ago

Any updates on Pinball Arcade via Steam in Portrait mode ?

#13 10 years ago

Pinball FX is ok but can't compare to Visual Pinball. I can't wait to get the Pinball Arcade tables for my Cab... but in the meantime I still have over 400 tables installed and can check out games I will never be able to fit into my game room:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/FyPmt2TfnXg?autoplay=1&rel=0

#14 10 years ago

Portrait mode is currently working great in Pinball Arcade. It doesn't yet support multiple displays, however--meaning no "virtual" back glass or DMD for your virtual pinball table.

#15 10 years ago

I wish Steam had touchscreen support. I downloaded this onto my 2 in 1 laptop, and no touch controls... I downloaded a lot of the FX2 tables I already owned in the windows version, that works really well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-thinks-a-pinball-arcade-virtual-pinball-release-would-be-cool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.