(Topic ID: 118238)

who still has the first machine they got? (poll)

By ccotenj

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 254 posts
  • 222 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“do you still have your first?”

• yes 596 votes
    72%
  • no 227 votes
    28%

(823 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-4_(1)_(resized).jpg
out_od_sight_001_(resized).JPG
out_od_sight_003_(resized).JPG
IMG_20140117_141001.jpg
461069_10150663782943710_2095444754_o.jpg
20150215_223811.jpg
IMG_2802.JPG
image-124.jpg
IMG_3845 copy.JPG
image.jpg

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 4 years ago

the "what was your first machine" thread got me to thinking...

how many people still have the first machine they got?

i'll start... i still have mine, a jacks open that was bought dead, and brought back to life...

it is unlikely to leave, i have a strong emotional attachment to it (since it is what i learned on), plus it earned me one helluva nice dinner (my bestie bet me i'd never get it to work)...

#2 4 years ago

I bought goldeneye a few years ago, and haven't turned back. I love my Goldeneye, twas my first.... you never forget your first.

#3 4 years ago

Does it count if you sold it and replaced it with a new model?
I sold my Tron and got a Tron LE....

#4 4 years ago

always ok if your upgrading...

#5 4 years ago

Unfortunately, no. I sold my Stingray about a year ago to help fund a large purchase. I kind of regret it. I didn't play it much as it was lost in the shuffle of newer and more exciting games, but I do miss it for nostalgia sake and I also miss hearing the chimes light up when you nail that spinner shot. Looking back, that few hundred bucks I got for it wouldn't have really made a difference, but oh well.

My second, a Black Knight is also gone. That went in a trade deal. I miss that one badly, but justify it by the fact that I will hopefully buy a nicer one some day.

My third, and first DMD game, ST:TNG is still here. I've learned to never say never in this hobby, but I do not see letting that go anytime soon. That one is going on 8 years with me.

#6 4 years ago

Gone and forgotten..

Makes me wonder 'who still has his first wife?'

#7 4 years ago

Pinbot never leaves.

#8 4 years ago

bought a cyclone in 1993 and still have it...then again i have every machine i ever purchased...its hard to let them go

#9 4 years ago

Dr. Dude 4 Life.

#10 4 years ago

SW DE. Got it as a gift and was bought from FUN. Way over priced and pretty much a beater but it is never leaving.

#11 4 years ago

Still Love my Paragon and still think she's the most beautiful pin ever made even after all these years!

#13 4 years ago

Super Mario Bros, long gone.

It sucked, but it got me into the hobby, so I appreciate that.

#14 4 years ago

Black Knight isn't going anywhere without a very good reason.

#15 4 years ago

I bought TMNT with a friend. Still have it.

It's comical how amateurish we were about the whole situation. We didn't even turn on or test anything. Just handed over some cash and were on our way. Luckily everything worked for a couple years before things started acting up.

It's time is coming though. Likely going to put it up for sale soon.

#16 4 years ago

Yes. TZ I've had about 16 years.

#17 4 years ago

Got TZ in 2001 and still have it.

#18 4 years ago

1981 Bally Viking, I found in the trash and brought back to life. It has NOS spinner and clearcoated NOS playfield,NOS lane guides and CPR plastics. It plays like its brand new out of the box and the only way its leaving is if I die and my wife sells it.
Roger Hord

#19 4 years ago

Hey Taxi! Going to keep it for a while

#20 4 years ago

the first machine my parents bought is still with them a fireball home. my first commerical machine is my dr dude havent let her go and dont plan on it.

#21 4 years ago

Pinbot I still have it. bought from arcade in 1990, and installed a nos field in it 6 months later along with 2 more Pinbots. Pinball addiction , I can say this is what started it all.....

#22 4 years ago

Mine? Stern Big Game. Love this game: the speed and flow, the drops, the lanes, that awesome
reserve bonus that when it counts off sounds like the machine is going to EXPLODE!
Never will say goodbye.

#23 4 years ago

I bought a Bally Wizard! in 1979 and still own it today.
I still think it is the best em ever made and play it regularly

#24 4 years ago

Had to have a Twilight Zone (As my first), so I saved, saved, and saved until I had enough $$$ to buy one.
Got it home, played the heck out of it, ended up taking it apart, cleaned, waxed, replaced part's,
added Mod's..learned alot,.Just loved it.
Then after about 6 month's, all I could think about when looking at it,
I could trade or sell it, and maybe get (3) B or C lister machines for it.
And a few month's later, that's exactly what I did.
And even though I kinda miss 'Ole TZ, I never regretted that decision,
As I got 3 great machines, and cleaned, fixed, and ended up parlaying those into
even more machines.!!

#25 4 years ago

After 35 years into pinball I can't even remember what was my first machine.

#26 4 years ago

1973 Gottlieb Big Shot purchased in the mid-80's. I still have it.

#27 4 years ago

Yep! Still have my EATPM for the last ten years and it's not going anywhere.

#28 4 years ago

TAF was first in 2001 and never leaving.

#29 4 years ago

I purchased my first pin (Funhouse) four years ago. Rudy is still taunting me!!

#30 4 years ago

Buckaroo, still have it. Dad bought it back in the seventies.
Played it for years until it quit. It sat unused in the basement until 1998 or so.
Went and grabbed it from my brothers basement, found Clays guides and learned to fix it in about a week. Another week later, cleaned it, rubbered it and changed some bulbs.
This machine literally started my addiction. Bought every pin I could find after this.
Second machine was Ali, not working. Fixed it and still have it as well.image.jpg

Original wife- 20 years. Too expensive to change or "upgrade" now. LOL

#31 4 years ago

My very first game was Demolition Man and I've bought it back three times already. I think it was mostly due to sentimental reasons I brought it back for the 3rd time but I needed the space so sold it again and gone to a good home.

#32 4 years ago

I.. kinda have mine. The story on my page tells it completely, but in short..

Worked on a TZ as a tech, wanted to buy it. Employer wouldn't sell it, so bought another. Four years later, distributor let me do an 'under the table' switch, my shopped game for their dirty game. So I ended up getting the TZ I wanted, the first one I ever worked on.

As far as I know, employer never found out or noticed, either.

#33 4 years ago

Still have every pin I've ever bought, although two are with parents/In-laws.

First was Spy Hunter in great condition, fixed some minor issues since, and don't intend to part with it as:
a) Not a pricey pin so won't get a lot of $$$ for it
b) Really enjoy the game

Quoted from pninja005:

Gone and forgotten..
Makes me wonder 'who still has his first wife?'

Nope! Upgraded!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from cyclone1234:

bought a cyclone in 1993 and still have it...then again i have every machine i ever purchased...its hard to let them go

My first was a Comet. Still have it and I have a second, really nice condition one as well. I upgraded and kept them both.

#35 4 years ago

My first was LOTR. It will probably be the last to leave as well.

#36 4 years ago

I can't foresee my first pin Alien Poker going anywhere unless I happen upon a better example and have the cash to burn.

#37 4 years ago

My First DR WhoIMG_3845 copy.JPG

#38 4 years ago

Judge Dredd was my first game. Non-working deadworld and all that good stuff. Cleaned my rusty ramps in Coca-cola.

Sold it a few years later. Don't really miss it. But it was a perfect first game for me.

#39 4 years ago

T2 still in gameroom 16 years after purchasing it

#40 4 years ago

Yes. 1975 Allied Leisure "Dyn-O-Mite" ... just three short years ago. Only reason I bought it was 'cause it was the only pin available at the time since everything else was selling as fast as it was posted. Apparently nobody else wanted it ... and I didn't know any better. It wasn't working 100% then and isn't working 100% now. I have since moved on to bigger and better machines, honing my repair skills, and hope to one day pull it out to repair and sell to some other noob looking to get into the hobby. It did fuel my addiction though so I owe it that much.

#41 4 years ago

Me....TAF here.....

#42 4 years ago

Cue Ball Wizard was first - was a surprise gift from wifey in 2008 and it isn't going anywhere. Number 2 (Mata Hari) and 3 (Bride of Pinbot) are still here as well. Maybe I'm atypical as I have only sold 2 games ever. Mostly buy and hold.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#43 4 years ago

My wife bought me my first machine. Several have come and gone since then, but my LAH is a keeper.

#45 4 years ago

Spectrum. The honeymoon phase is not over yet. 10+ other games bought and sold in the interval.

#46 4 years ago

Funhouse...still have it

#47 4 years ago

Still have my 1st. Gottlieb Abracadabra!!!

#48 4 years ago

Harley Davidson ( Stern 2005 ) ..... Bought it as a HUO in 2009 and still have it.

#49 4 years ago

Still have mine, BOP, it was responsible for getting me hooked on all the different aspects of the hobby. I hardly play it nowadays but have a hard time thinking of selling it, plus when I do play it all the sounds take me back and fall in love all over again.

#50 4 years ago

Still have my Bally Playboy. When we first bought our house I mentioned to the wife that it'd be nice to have a pinball machine and found a beat Playboy just like the one I loved playing when it first came out in '78. We played it for several years before sending it off to HEP to get it restored. I still play it a lot since it's lots more fun now that everything works and it looks so good. It would definitely be the last pin to leave the collection. It's so pretty, sometimes I just turn it on and admire the view while enjoying a tasty adult beverage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 219.99
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside