(Topic ID: 119359)

Who still has the Bally AID1 and AID2 Test Boards?

By vid1900

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5420_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5419_(resized).JPG
    bly_aid3.jpg
    image-207.jpg
    image.jpg
    1397778_1507256942829972_3633537055357785726_o[1].jpg
    10959878_1507256896163310_8341874971514750107_n[1].jpg
    tumblr_mk60slMwZf1rhjbkxo1_500.gif
    Bally_AID1_Reproduction_PCB_PinForge.com_V1-404.jpg
    Bally_AID1_Reproduction_Schematic_PinForge.com_V1-140.jpg
    bally-aid22-454.jpg
    bally-aid23.jpg
    bally-aid21.jpg
    bally-aid20.jpg
    bally-aid19.jpg
    bally-aid13.jpg
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

I saw the manual for the Bally AID1 Test Board the other day, and I wondered who still has and uses the boards?

I lent my boards to a guy many years back who said he was going to reproduce them, obviously he never did, lol.

#2 9 years ago

I've got an AID 1 test board. Don't remember where I got it and have never attempted to use it. Just a piece of history to me I guess.

#4 9 years ago

I have a set of Joel's Pinball Lizard LizAid rigs. They're better than the originals (I have both boards) and still can't fix #%^$@#$ MPU boards!

#5 9 years ago

Do any schematics for these boards exist?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That would be just as useful really.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They do.

They are not in the manual, but I know someone has posted them before.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I saw the manual for the Bally AID1 Test Board the other day, and I wondered who still has and uses the boards?
    I lent my boards to a guy many years back who said he was going to reproduce them, obviously he never did, lol.

I have a set. Might even be the "updated" AID 1A and AID 2A version.

#11 9 years ago

Nice find.

AID1 front.jpgAID1 front.jpg AID1 back.jpgAID1 back.jpg AID2 front.jpgAID2 front.jpg AID2 back.jpgAID2 back.jpg
    #12 9 years ago

Manual - (right click, save as.....)

Bally Electronic Pinball Game Repair Procedures.pdfBally Electronic Pinball Game Repair Procedures.pdf

#13 9 years ago

See all those asterisks on the schems? Those are AID test points.

#14 9 years ago

what are those used for? I have something similar for Gen 1 zaccaria, except it's loaded up with manual switches.

#15 9 years ago

Go to page 6 in the above manual to see how the board works.

You enter into a test mode.....pretty clever.

#16 9 years ago

Those boards look pretty simple.. wouldn't be hard to draw up a PCB layout and make some new ones..

#17 9 years ago

Yeah, single sided boards you can make at home with a laser printer, a household iron and some glossy photo paper.

Or maybe someone would want to do a run from the Park?

https://oshpark.com/

#18 9 years ago

I have the Liz Aid boards and the manual.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

I have the Liz Aid boards and the manual.

Pics?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, single sided boards you can make at home with a laser printer, a household iron and some glossy photo paper.
    Or maybe someone would want to do a run from the Park?
    https://oshpark.com/

I can throw together some Gerber files for OSHParo, but need to know what that connector is on the top edge of the board is..

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I can throw together some Gerber files for OSHParo, but need to know what that connector is on the top edge of the board is..

That connector plugs into J5 at the top of Bally/Stern MPUs. You can reference a Bally MPU schematic for the pinout.

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

That connector plugs into J5 at the top of Bally/Stern MPUs. You can reference a Bally MPU schematic for the pinout.
    ---

I don't have one of these Ganges (yet!), I was just meaning the pin spacing - .100 or other?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I don't have one of these Ganges (yet!), I was just meaning the pin spacing - .100 or other?

.100 / 2.54mm spacing -- Molex KK connectors

---

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

.100 / 2.54mm spacing -- Molex KK connectors

Ah, easy enough then. If I hear enough interest, I'll jump on this tonight, and hopefully have files ready by tomorrow.

#25 9 years ago

2015-02-23 16.24.42.jpg2015-02-23 16.24.42.jpg

2015-02-23 16.24.18.jpg2015-02-23 16.24.18.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Nice!

Did the LizAID actually add any functions over the Bally AID? Or was it a modern clone?

Are the schematics in the manual?

#27 9 years ago

No added functions that I'm aware of. The form is a little different and is supposed to "fit" in a game better. Also, they added a switch that makes it easier to select +5 or ground. No schematic, unfortunately.

#29 9 years ago

hahahaha those are my boards / pics... i have them here if it helps

#30 9 years ago

Damn, coyote, good timing and good grab on this project.
    If you pass on it, I'll give it a go, but will give you first crack at them.

-Hans

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

hahahaha those are my boards / pics... i have them here if it helps

Small world, this pinball universe.

Can you take a few high rez pics, or better yet, a BOM?

#32 9 years ago

Yes, with the chip there. Would be great. If I knew the values I'd perfboard it.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Small world, this pinball universe.
    Can you take a few high rez pics, or better yet, a BOM?

for you yes. it might take a day.. pm me if it seems i forgot.

I considered stripping it and scanning the pcb but i hadnt got over the hurdle of finding a burner to read the old rom yet.

#34 9 years ago

Frankly I'm surprised there's much interest in these AID boards. A while back I thought about recreating them and offering some up for sale since the Lizard ones aren't available any more, but after some searching on RGP it appeared like most people thought these AID boards were of limited use. I guess between the MPU led flashes, general troubleshooting steps of Classic Bally/Sterns and 6800 architecture and Leon's test ROM.. there were other ways at getting through the issues these would help solve. Maybe under certain circumstances it makes troubleshooting quicker. Maybe someone that has used them more extensively can comment on their usefulness.

Leon has a write-up and schematic of the AID2 here: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Bally_AID2_Test_Board

AID1 test ROM here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=287952

Also don't know of the legality of using the AID1 ROM in something made into a product. Obviously *someone* has done it before, but the code came from Bally -- so, who knows where all of that falls. If it's an issue, then making the design available via a shared Oshpark project (ie. free for all) could be a workaround.

---

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Frankly I'm surprised there's much interest in these AID boards

they exist .. and someone ( through lack of supply) basically told a bunch of evil geniuses . "you cant have one" .: interest

#36 9 years ago

We used to use them because following a flow chart was basically foolproof, but honestly I had forgotten about them until I saw that manual.

#37 9 years ago

Maybe Mr. Personality will offer them for only $995.00 with 25% down pre-order and final payment two weeks-ish prior to shipment. A distributor (no names) might force payment in full six months prior to shipment though.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Maybe Mr. Personality will offer them for only $995.00 with 25% down pre-order and final payment two weeks-ish prior to shipment. A distributor (no names) might force payment in full six months prior to shipment though.

knock it off .. i dont care if you love him or hate him ( i never met the man myself) but personal attacks and vendor bashing dont help anyone get anywhere.

#39 9 years ago

I guess this is where I got the idea these modules were of limited use..

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.pinball/0BYrbSh3tRk/s7GPUYA1960J

Several people including Tom Callahan (of "The Repair Connection" / Pin-Logic) had indicated they weren't that helpful. Some other people seem to disagree on other threads. So, it's probably like any test equipment where it would be helpful in specific circumstances but somewhat useless in others.

I might have to build my own out sometime just to play around with. Personally, I think something like this would be a great "free design" to share with the community like I did with the "Gottlieb Universal Tester" (uses Leon's ROM) that wasn't my own design. Then any licensing concerns (if there are any) over the ROM for the AID1 would be a non-issue. Back in the 90s there wasn't a place like Oshpark you could just share a design like this & small-volume pcb runs were much more costly. Nowadays there's lots of cheaper pcb options, including ways for people to just buy the bare boards themselves. With the schematics, these boards could be knocked out in a few hours or less. To me, something like this that's an existing design that no one has exclusive rights to..it's just as easy to offer as a free design as a way to "give back" to the hobby and then not have an investment in bulk materials or other costs involved in offering it as a for-sale product. Some people may disagree with me on this, but even if someone does this as a for-sale product, I don't think it should be a problem for anyone else to recreate the design(s) and offer them in other ways including free via a shared Oshpark project.

---

#40 9 years ago

Callahan was repairing boards at the time so people fixing their own boards would have affected his business adversely.

And while the LizAID1 can't display or say "AD4 stuck low at U## pin #" it takes ALL logic Address and Data lines HI or LO so you can quickly probe all the A and D destinations and see if they are toggling HI/LO with the switch and quickly find a stuck line on the buss.

Having said that, I have at least three MPUs with a locked ON diag LED that I tried to fix with help from the LizAID1 rig and failed miserably. I am beginning to suspect the problem is the user.

Quoted from acebathound:

I guess this is where I got the idea these modules were of limited use..
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.pinball/0BYrbSh3tRk/s7GPUYA1960J
    Several people including Tom Callahan (of "The Repair Connection" / Pin-Logic) had indicated they weren't that helpful. Some other people seem to disagree on other threads. So, it's probably like any test equipment where it would be helpful in specific circumstances but somewhat useless in others.
    I might have to build my own out sometime just to play around with. Personally, I think something like this would be a great "free design" to share with the community like I did with the "Gottlieb Universal Tester" (uses Leon's ROM) that wasn't my own design. Then any licensing concerns (if there are any) over the ROM for the AID1 would be a non-issue. Back in the 90s there wasn't a place like Oshpark you could just share a design like this & small-volume pcb runs were much more costly. Nowadays there's lots of cheaper pcb options, including ways for people to just buy the bare boards themselves. With the schematics, these boards could be knocked out in a few hours or less. To me, something like this that's an existing design that no one has exclusive rights to..it's just as easy to offer as a free design as a way to "give back" to the hobby and then not have an investment in bulk materials or other costs involved in offering it as a for-sale product. Some people may disagree with me on this, but even if someone does this as a for-sale product, I don't think it should be a problem for anyone else to recreate the design(s) and offer them in other ways including free via a shared Oshpark project.
    ---

#41 9 years ago

Well -
    I just about have the schematics done for the AID1 board. However, some questions, if anyone can answer, since I can't see these clearly in the pictures above..
    - Anyone know the type of IC for U2? (The smaller one.)
    - It *appears* if pins 29 and 30 are joined at the plug, but I can't tell 100%.. are they?
    - What is Q1?
    - Resistor values for R2 and R3 - I can't tell if the second band is Green, Blue, or Black. Third band is orange in all of them.
    - Diode types for CR1 & 2. They look like ziener, but I haven't seen ones with a blue interior like that before, huh.
    - Specs for C1. C2 (the top one) is easy to see.

And again - I may just stop here, since everyone seems to be discussing whether they're even useful or not.. Won't work on them since if I do, it'll likely be decided that they're not worth it, and I wasted my time.

#42 9 years ago

U2 - MC14011
    29/30 - cant tell in the other pic i have either - its 2am here and its at work .. ill look tommorow.
    Q1 - an MPS-A13
    R1-brown green yellow gold i think .. tomorrow
    R2/3 ..brown black orange gold i think - tommorow
    Cr1/2/c1 ill look at tommorow

#43 9 years ago

big pic .. http://www.legbolt.com/tmp/aid1-big.jpg

what antique gadget do i need to read the code off that masked rom.?

#44 9 years ago

A quick color correction, which may help with the resistor bands:

365964-color-correction.jpg365964-color-correction.jpgaid1-big-color-correction.jpgaid1-big-color-correction.jpg

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A quick color correction

thanks that was a clever idea. - the warehouse lights do make everything yellow.

tomorrow i'll check the board properly to be sure

#46 9 years ago

Thanks guys!

Okay, yeah, R2/R3 look like it's brown/black.

Interestingly, they only use 3 of the 4 gates in the MC14011. One pin on the third gate is connected - but because that was the only way they could get the trace to a pin on another gate. Wow.

Considering this board (pictured) is only four months younger than I, I'm impressed!

#47 9 years ago

PROM DatasheetD3624.pdfD3624.pdf

Popularity will all depend on pricing. Look at what happened with the $39 Vs $16/$15 NVRam.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

big pic .. http://www.legbolt.com/tmp/aid1-big.jpg
    what antique gadget do i need to read the code off that masked rom.?

You don't. Acebathound posted a link to the zip file on KLOV.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

You don't. Acebathound posted a link to the zip file on KLOV.

Here's the link: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=287952

I tried re-posting the zip file here, but the forums don't seem to like zip files.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Well -
    And again - I may just stop here, since everyone seems to be discussing whether they're even useful or not.. Won't work on them since if I do, it'll likely be decided that they're not worth it, and I wasted my time.

I think I've been the only one on this thread to question if these modules are truly useful, just based on some discussion on RGP over the last 20 years. I don't mind being wrong It seems some people do think these would be useful. So there's definitely still merit for someone to throw the design together to help out the community.

My comments on this being best offered as a shared/free Oshpark design are based on my own feelings toward public domain designs. We all need to be reasonable here. Anyone with the ability to use CAD software has the right at any time to create their own version of a design that is essentially public domain or otherwise something that someone put out there free for anyone to use. Just because someone jumps on it first because they see some demand and wants to make a few bucks, doesn't give them exclusive rights to make it. Locking a public domain design to a specific vendor is what I'd imagine created some of the annoyance on this particular equipment in the first place... high price, unobtainable, etc. It's understandable why this happened 15-20 years ago with pcb costs as I mentioned, but in recent years pcb service options have changed a lot. Prototyping small boards on Oshpark is relatively inexpensive. A design like this is simple enough to throw into CAD software and hammer out in a few hours if you have a component list and schematic.

Not saying any of that to discourage anyone from building these modules for profit (or any other design that was posted publicly for free use). Just saying lets be reasonable with expectations on these kind of boards. They are up for grabs to anyone with the capability to create them at the "worth-it-to-them" price.. or to even post as free designs if they want. I like these kind of quickie public domain boards, they are a good way to give back to the pinball community in something that doesn't take a huge amount of effort & also help spread the word of other products I'm selling. By making the designs available at a very fair price or sharing them on Oshpark, you are forcing yourself to not be dependent on stuff that other people created.. and instead focus on being innovative and creative in your own designs that you're selling. It also means you don't adopt the design as your own [in your mind] and get bent out of shape when someone else creates their own version of a design that was never yours to begin with.

---

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-still-has-the-bally-aid1-and-aid2-test-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.