6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 385 posts
  • 139 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JoelOmatik
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 61 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    2013_No._1_113.JPG
    june_2012_019.JPG
    20130422_182132.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Facebook_13-03-13_IAGS.jpg
    image.jpg
    Pins_and_needles.jpg
    janine_pinball2.jpg
    charcoal_grills_1.jpg
    563338_10200289562577044_891447587_n.jpg
    2_13_F.png

There are 385 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 6 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Molly, if I may ask, what is the draw to Star Race? I have one too and women tend to play it a lot more than men when I take it the PAGG show.

It's quite the looker, it's on the rare side, and I like the "oddball" titles in general more than the popular ones. I'm just a weirdo, I'm thrilled to see the collectors fighting and scrapping over MMs and AFMs; give me something different!

Are your flippers strong enough to hit that top left loop?

#302 6 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Solar Ride, Genie, Star Race and Circus are all 28 1/2" wide.

I'm pretty sure Star Race and Circus are the 3" wider than the rest, 2nd in size only to Hercules: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=515

Never played Star Race but enjoyed Circus as the second pin I owned. Great sounds, great art and plenty to shoot for. Cool game.

#303 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

works for underwear too

but not condoms

#304 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

I have no problems hitting the loop, my flippers are all strong but, that is a challenging shot! I think the varitargets are very challenging as well.

#305 6 years ago

I've owned all 4 at one time or another and all 4 use the same size hold down bar. They hold Gottliebs record for the widest games they made.

Quoted from OTTOgd:

I'm pretty sure Star Race and Circus are the 3" wider than the rest, 2nd in size only to Hercules: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=515
    Never played Star Race but enjoyed Circus as the second pin I owned. Great sounds, great art and plenty to shoot for. Cool game.

#306 6 years ago

I don't consider you a wierdo, check out some of my games I have in my collection. My Star Race has an NOS playfield installed in it and all moving parts have been rebuilt if there was any wear. Hitting the loop isn't a problem.

If you get (or have) a Star Race and you want to try a "quick fix" for the flippers, get another capacitor like the one used when you replace the orange cap (10,000 mfd 25-35V) and install it on the 24VDC bridge rectifier. If you do this, you'll never have a problem with hitting the loop but you may break a few drop targets. It was fun to try for a few games but I ended up changing it back because all the coils became too strong for the game.

It's quite the looker, it's on the rare side, and I like the "oddball" titles in general more than the popular ones. I'm just a weirdo, I'm thrilled to see the collectors fighting and scrapping over MMs and AFMs; give me something different!

#307 6 years ago

This. I like all things science fiction & early 80s, so there's quite a few pins out there that hit both marks(TX Sector, etc), and you seem to have quite a few of them. The artwork for Stern's Viper is beautiful(forgot the artist's name, but love his cybernetic style).

It's sad playfield "risks" like the goofy pop bumper placement on Andromeda won't be taken in favor of cookie cutter Stern tables of late. To me, a perfectly symmetrical playfield is boring, so I don't like AFM/RFM.

Weird = good.

#308 6 years ago

This video demonstrates that even blondes can get in to pinball!
    Under strict supervision offcourse

#309 6 years ago

Just go to a show. You'll see like 2000 dudes and 5 girls. It's a fact.

#310 6 years ago
    Quoted from elZilcho:

» YouTube video

this little video shows why p2k was going to be superior and innovative in the next generation pinball.

#311 6 years ago

I would try to have a problem just to see her come over and look at the game

Quoted from elZilcho:» YouTube video

#312 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this little video shows why p2k was going to be superior and innovative in the next generation pinball.

Any moron can handle this, even this fragile busted blonde!
    banner_horizontal_melony.jpg
    Just kidding ^^

#313 6 years ago

Ugh, is this thread still going?

#314 6 years ago

Heres some i saw at the APE show this weekend

2_13_A.png2_13_B.png2_13_F.png

#315 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Just think: if we had LCD panels available like we do now, back in '99, Williams would have made a WOZ-level game by 2001. At the latest.

Oh, and that chick is hot. 50% because she's physically attractive and the other 50% because she works for Williams and knows how to handle a pinball machine(that's just instantly sexy).

#316 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Oh, and that chick is hot. 50% because she's physically attractive and the other 50% because she works for Williams and knows how to handle a pinball machine(that's just instantly sexy).

25% less hot because she touches the bottom side of the glass.

#317 6 years ago
    Quoted from elZilcho:

That woman is hot and I had no idea PK2K was so user friendly. I still can't believe that platform wasn't a huge success.

#318 6 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, honch.

It might have been that upper management was fed up with the elitist attitude of the pinball division, and they decided to shut it down even though pin2k was bound to be a hit.

Watch "Tilt, the battle to save pinball" and you'll hear Gomez boast that they treated the "suits" with contempt and totally dismissed any ideas (good or bad) they might have had.

#319 6 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

That woman is hot and I had no idea PK2K was so user friendly. I still can't believe that platform wasn't a huge success.

The table was just a bit smaller than a normal table and that bugged me, but other than that, I loved my SWE1 & RFM. Great / Fun games!

#320 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Just think: if we had LCD panels available like we do now, back in '99, Williams would have made a WOZ-level game by 2001. At the latest.

WOZ and P2K arn't even in the same league. P2K was innovative, refreshing and new. Brought a new dimension to the pinball world.

WOZ, brings us a different display. Fanstastic. By that notion, Sega was innovative by bringing us the Large DMD display, over the standard size. It's pretty nice, but far from innovative. P2k is in a league of it's own. The only one who is even close is P3 system. They are the only ones worthy of being put in the same category as p2k.

#321 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

P2K was innovative, refreshing and new. Brought a new dimension to the pinball world.

To be honest it was none of those things back then...at least to me and the people I knew/played with/talked at tourneys with.
    At the time it was the end of pinball as we knew it. The games we knew and loved were being replaced by SWe1 which was worse than South Park (to pick a low game around that era). RFM was an upgrade for sure, but everyone seemed to know pinball was almost dead and this was it's last gasp; so there was nothing to be happy aboot really.

#322 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To be honest it was none of those things back then...at least to me and the people I knew/played with/talked at tourneys with.
    At the time it was the end of pinball as we knew it. The games we knew and loved were being replaced by SWe1 which was worse than South Park (to pick a low game around that era). RFM was an upgrade for sure, but everyone seemed to know pinball was almost dead and this was it's last gasp; so there was nothing to be happy aboot really.

Preach on, brother.

Seriously, all of those innovations we see and admire in that youtube video are things the arcade patron will never see/need/have any use for. They are solely for the benefit of the operator, and now the home use crowd. NONE of those innovations(while fantastic) are for the benefit of the gaming experience.

To the arcade patron, it was still pinball trying to masquerade as an arcade game.

#323 6 years ago

Lady I have been into this since the great depression

#324 6 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

The table was just a bit smaller than a normal table and that bugged me, but other than that, I loved my SWE1 & RFM. Great / Fun games!

Aren't the playfields the same length as B/W games in the pre-DMD era? I thought that RFM and SWEP1 had playfields equal to the length of something like High Speed.

But yes, the platform was fun, and it's a real shame we never got Wizard Blocks or anything else. There was a TON of potential there.

#325 6 years ago

it's not just a benefit to the operator. If you work on your own shit. It's a dream to work on P2k stuff. Takes a second to pull the whole playfield out, and shop it out right on the floor. Love it. Wish all games did that.

As far as innovative. It was by leaps and bounds. The possiblities were endless. You have to look it in the creative design aspect. Not base it upon the 2 games we actually got. it was in the early stages. You don't base early SS technology based upon the first games that came out. It was early. Think Sinbad or Mata hari, took full advantage of what going to SS boardsets could do? not at all. First step. Yes EP1 is a piece of shit game, RFM is pretty good, and from what i've seen of WB, it was just the tip of the iceberg. have to look at the full picture of what the future could bring. That's innovation.

#326 6 years ago

So are those Gottlieb wide bodies any wider than Future Spa/Paragon/Space Invaders? I didn't think it got any wider.

#327 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Seriously, all of those innovations we see and admire in that youtube video are things the arcade patron will never see/need/have any use for. They are solely for the benefit of the operator, and now the home use crowd. NONE of those innovations(while fantastic) are for the benefit of the gaming experience.

That is a very good point, but seeing as how I want one of these, I count it as a positive.

#328 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So are those Gottlieb wide bodies any wider than Future Spa/Paragon/Space Invaders? I didn't think it got any wider.

Gottliebs like Circus, and Genie, are just as wide as Paragon and Future spa, but they are full size length besides. So they are actually larger than the bally ultra wide bodies.

#329 6 years ago

The Bally wide bodies are shorter in length than a normal playfield? I never knew that.

#330 6 years ago

<<<that chick is hot>>>

Professional model who is at least 18 years of age.

#331 6 years ago

yea, ultra wide body playfields are almost square. Not quite, but they appear like it because they are so wide and short. Gottlieb ultra wides are just gianmorous.

#332 6 years ago

563338_10200289562577044_891447587_n.jpg

#333 6 years ago

Gottlieb Circus and Star Race were the widest of the ultra wide bodies Gottlieb produced and yes the same length as a normal table. If you play my Star Race exclusively for say amonth or so the difference in size is immediately noticable when you step up to any normal pin, almost feels like a toy at first!

I'd like to ride the rollercoaster Comet with that gal pictured above!!!!!

#334 6 years ago

looks like someone is getting for some naked pinball @ 11:00 pm

#335 6 years ago

It would be a better if it wasnt such a lame pin she was grabbing on to.

#336 6 years ago
    Quoted from Turboderf:

Heres some i saw at the APE show this weekend

What BEAUTIFUL machines!

#337 6 years ago

Don't forget Roller Disco and Genie, they are also the same width as Circus and Star Race.

Quoted from RWH:

Gottlieb Circus and Star Race were the widest of the ultra wide bodies Gottlieb produced and yes the same length as a normal table. If you play my Star Race exclusively for say amonth or so the difference in size is immediately noticable when you step up to any normal pin, almost feels like a toy at first!/blockquote>

#338 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not just a benefit to the operator. If you work on your own shit. It's a dream to work on P2k stuff. Takes a second to pull the whole playfield out, and shop it out right on the floor. Love it. Wish all games did that.

I could not agree more. Besides im just as blond as the lady in the p2k movie, i have a bad back and some stairs too.
    They look like a dream to move and work on!

#339 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

RFM is pretty good, and from what i've seen of WB, it was just the tip of the iceberg. have to look at the full picture of what the future could bring. That's innovation.

Totally agree. I really think that platform had the most potential of anything I've ever seen. I wish someone would make a go of it again.

#340 6 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Don't forget Roller Disco and Genie, they are also the same width as Circus and Star Race.

And Scorpion and Pokerino... I think they were the same 'ultra wide' width...

#341 6 years ago

I'm aware of those being wide but I didn't mention them because they aren't Gottliebs, RHW had omitted them from the ultra wide Gottliebs list.

Quoted from pinballslave:

And Scorpion and Pokerino... I think they were the same 'ultra wide' width...

#342 6 years ago

I love me some grils and pinball!

charcoal_grills_1.jpg
    Who sez grils arn't into pinball.

#344 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

To the arcade patron, it was still pinball trying to masquerade as an arcade game.

Yes, and P2k had all kinds of other design problems.

Nobody but the person playing could see the game or what's happening-- a pinball machine's gameplay and action should be easily viewed from behind the shoulder of the player, that's Pinball Design 101, not only for the social camaraderie of pinball play but for the allure of people who haven't played yet. When a passer-by saw someone playing P2k they saw nothing but a player hunched in a beetle-like position with some vague dark video explosion screens and said "Nah, next!" and they went and tried to flush a ball down a toilet instead.

The cabinet design looked terrible. The thing weighed a ton. The screen consistently disconnected the player from the ball, making the game seem shorter than it already was. The connection between the player and the ball is sacred. I could go on and on and on.... there were so many red flags with P2k's design that it should've been obvious to everyone designing it that it would fail. But it was designed in a bubble, in secret, thinking it was going to take over the world. The idea was good, the execution was terrible for street earnings, and in the end it just wasn't fun. It didn't earn.

If they'd had LCD's like now? Yes, many of those glaring problems could've been avoided. But I still think they overestimated how much fun video in the middle of a pinball playfield is, and underestimated how annoyed pinball players would be with being forced to stare at a video screen in the playfield, disconnecting the player from the ball.

In a perfect world, LCDs and partial video (only in certain modes) and at other times the video is gone altogether. Making the playfield longer (instead of shorter) to compensate for the video screen (and cabinet) making everything feel so short. They didn't playtest the game enough, and it was basically a good prototype design that should've gone back to the drawing board for a rework rather than shipped out as the end-all-be-all of pinball, with a year of hype behind it. Recipe for failure every way you look.

#345 6 years ago

Yeah, it shorter than anything for almost 10 years. And that was a cost reduction thing (stupid!).

Not only was it physically shorter, but the screen made it feel even shorter, and the stubby butt-ugly cabinet design made it feel shorter yet...

I drove almost four hours round trip to play RFM the week it was first released, and before my first game was over I said "Man, this playfield feels SHORT!"

There's no doubt that thing was playtested in a bubble.

#346 6 years ago

I don't have any problems watching someone play from the side. No visual problems there. Cabinet design isn't horrible. With the tech they had then, you had to make the head that large and heavy. It lived up to it's expectations, and game sales were higher than they ever have been. Production numbers were actually higher than any WPC95 run. In those terms, i'd say p2k was a success.

#347 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It lived up to it's expectations, and game sales were higher than they ever have been. Production numbers were actually higher than any WPC95 run. In those terms, i'd say p2k was a success.

You've watched TILT too many times, and the propaganda that went with it.

THey sold so many because they hyped it for a damn year, all the sales were pre-sales based on hype. Ops bought into it because it was supposed to be the next big thing. But it didn't earn. It flopped and was puked back out at auctions less than a year later, dumped for a loss. P2k was not a success.

#348 6 years ago

they sold a lot because it was refreshing and new. OPs saw this as a way to bring something new to the people and make some cash again. I guarantee those games earned some good coin on route more than , TOM, TOTAN, CV, NBAFB, NGG, AFM, CC, those WPC95 titles which were same old pinball. Ask LTG how well RFM did for him.

#349 6 years ago

No problems viewing others play my machine. It's still one of the best designed pins even today. Hardware/software/cabinet was fully scalable.

Mike
    www.HabosArcade.com

#350 6 years ago

Look, I have no doubt that you guys can follow gameplay on RFM. We are pinheads. I can follow the gameplay on a pin from the other room, by listening to the callouts and sounds. That's not the point. The point is that the there are many design elements of P2k which did not resonate with the general playing public, and the ease of being able to watch bright illuminated mechanical pinball action influences the earnings of machines greatly. People want to put their quarter in next because they saw Thing grab the ball, or they wanted to destroy the castle, or make the fish flop, whatever. RFM did not have that mechanical pull, it relied almost exclusively on the combining mirror video. It was cool at first, because it was different and new, but it didn't keep most coming back. And what a bore for spectators.

I also have no doubt that there are ops, like LTG if that's the case, who earned great with RFM. Many more did not. I was at the auctions, I saw them dumped. I saw the ratings in Playmeter, directly froms ops. I watched RFM sit vacant many nights at Rocky's Replay in Orlando, while there was a wait to play MB and CP.

P2k was not a success in my eyes, and there are tangible reasons for that. Is it innovative and pretty damn cool for pinheads like us? Sure. An amazing design, really. But it is not the answer to pinball innovation wrt earnings. Would WB make a great repro project for a manufacturer? Sure, and they'd make a ton of money repro'ing P2k in the form of a finished WB. I'd probably buy one. They'd sell like hotcakes to pin collectors. But those are two different conversations, and P2k's "success" as measured in the success of the time, street earnings as a ROI device, was not good. And even in the world of pinheads, if you ask for a preference RFM or AFM you'll get AFM 3.

P2k was different and interesting and pretty damn cool. But let's stop pretending that P2k was the answer to all of pinball's problems as some amazing design which wasn't given a proper chance. As you show with the sales numbers, it was definitely given a chance. It failed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 385 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside