(Topic ID: 319515)

Who's getting hit with shipping fees on their new Sterns?

By IdahoRealtor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wtatumjr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy.gif
    EC4A91D5-3DE8-4273-BB9B-53CE33027208 (resized).png
    fetchimage (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220729-014114 (resized).jpg
    DDD8B7E6-E8B7-4662-9D8A-D888BE279999 (resized).jpeg
    There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

Just got my GZ Premium invoice and there's +$500 for shipping. They said "it's simply too much for us to cover anymore."

I'd like to say "What did you used to pay? I'll pay the rest." That would be fair. But I'm pretty sure I have zero leverage on a Godzilla Premium. So, there goes another $500 on top of inflated MSRP.

Anyway, what are you guys running into lately with shipping fees? I'm curious which dealers are still covering shipping. $500 is not insignificant.

#2 1 year ago

We still provide Free Shipping on all new Sterns, but I admit, it’s hurting lately with the shipping price increases, especially west coast. Shipping a Stern machine to the west coast can cost us $500-700. And we also pay shipping to get the games from Stern to our place.

Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball

#3 1 year ago

Wait, shipping used to be FREE on Sterns?!

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wait, shipping used to be FREE on Sterns?!

I wouldnt say "free", but shipping was always included. Every NIB Stern customer, prior to 2022, knows this.

#5 1 year ago

I mean, where else would you expect to get FREE shipping, especially on freight items?

Customers should not expect this free, regardless of what was done in the past.

#6 1 year ago

I paid 500 on my GZ premium for shipping to Alaska, but I knew that upfront.

#7 1 year ago

"Free" shipping has always been baked into the price you're paying, but now is a deal since that price hasn't risen fast enough to cover current shipping costs.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from ticktockman:

I mean, where else would you expect to get FREE shipping, especially on freight items?

Dealers barely make money on these to begin with so maybe stop squeezing them for every last dime...

If they are giving you free shipping they are likely up-charging you on the game.. or they are terrible at math and business.

#9 1 year ago

Seems the shipping was always baked in, but now with higher than MSRP prices it's hard to tell if its baked in or not.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Dealers barely make money on these to begin with so maybe stop squeezing them for every last dime...
    If they are giving you free shipping they are likely up-charging you on the game.. or they are terrible at math and business.

Hear that ZMeny ?? You’re terrible at math and business. I knew it!!!!

#11 1 year ago

ZMeny If you want to ship in bulk, look into PODS moving and storage. 8'x8' container or 16'x8'. Brought to your door, you load, brought to the destination. Always kept level and safe and secure, no forklifts to damage the pins. If you can find a central location on the west coast for customers to P/U could save big money. Just a thought. (disclaimer I run Pods moving and storage West Michigan.)

#12 1 year ago

For all the newbs chiming in with zero historical perspective, shipping was always included with Sterns. And the street price was always well below MSRP.

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

You have no clue what dealers are making.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from ticktockman:

Nothing is free. It was included in the price. Now it's a surcharge.

#14 1 year ago

If they start tacking shipping on top of all the recent price increases I am afraid I would be out on new games and just enjoy what I have and watch CraigsList for deals on used games.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You have no clue what dealers are making.

Wrong

#16 1 year ago

I am sure shipping has gone up, and it is reasonable to see dealers increase their price. But it hasn't gone up $500; that is more like the total shipping price.

It's perhaps like UPS...when gas prices went up 12 years ago, they added a fuel surcharge to their prices. When fuel prices dropped back down, they forgot to remove the fuel surcharge. Go figure.

#17 1 year ago

Shipping has always been free for me as long as I picked up at my distros warehouse Stern or otherwise. (they bring a tractor trailer load at a time)

If @ zmeny is paying for your shipping to west coast then he is not as big a shill as we thought - good work Zach

Does beg the question what does a distro really make on a game if any are honest about it

#18 1 year ago

I wish you could still pick them up at Stern

#19 1 year ago

Also noticing if you want Godzilla premium some are forcing you to buy another less desirable title as well.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

Also noticing if you want Godzilla premium some are forcing you to buy another less desirable title as well.

This is brilliant - all GZ premium come with a crappy LZ or Rush lol.

#21 1 year ago

With diesel costs of nearly $1 per mile, costs will not be going down. Not many semis get more than 6 or 7 mpg, used to own one.

#22 1 year ago

It’s not like prices have been stable. Maybe Stern should lower the pricing?

#23 1 year ago

Shipping has never been free and we have always paid MSRP for new Sterns…AND paying tax…right my non-US brethren?

Plus we can buy from ANY authorized dealer (except there is only one in our territory and the West-coast one isn’t allowed to sell East and vice versa).

It’s supply and command, worst case Ontario I drive to Montreal and pick it up to save shipping at least.

#24 1 year ago

I was quoted 9k plus shipping for a prem from a dealer I've been using for 15 years. I responded that the price was crazy, they said there are so many noobs that are buying for full price and also offering above msrp to get games asap that they don't need to sell below msrp right now. I ended up getting the game for 8k shipped from a large distributor.

#25 1 year ago

Do they still drop ship games from the factory?

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I was quoted 9k plus shipping for a prem from a dealer I've been using for 15 years. I responded that the price was crazy, they said there are so many noobs that are buying for full price and also offering above msrp to get games asap that they don't need to sell below msrp right now. I ended up getting the game for 8k shipped from a large distributor.

Sounds like you found a better distro

#27 1 year ago

If you shop around and have patience you can still find free shipping on Stern games.

#28 1 year ago

Shipping depends on the distros. Some add it on, some bake it in, some offer a lower msrp and then add shipping

#29 1 year ago

What, you don't wanna buy the $13k Godzilla Premium from OC Pinballs? But seriously, been using Game Room Guys for awhile now and inventory is clearly shown in stock or not on their website with free shipping. Yes you have to pay MSRP + tax, but where do you truly expect to not pay tax?

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

What, you don't wanna buy the $13k Godzilla Premium from OC Pinballs? But seriously, been using Game Room Guys for awhile now and inventory is clearly shown in stock or not on their website with free shipping. Yes you have to pay MSRP + tax, but where do you truly expect to not pay tax?

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon

I love the no state income tax deal here in Nevada. Plus a few other states are like that.

#32 1 year ago

Most freight carriers have more than doubled their freight costs so guess it's to be expected. I used to get pallets of goods shipped here to FL from OH and NJ for around $200, now most carriers want $500-800 for the same route since the last year and a half.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

Where are you getting premiums for $1k below MSRP with free shipping?

My JP Pro last year I got had free shipping and it was literally one of the 2 available in the whole country from the list of distros on Stern's website. I know this because I called every one.

I have a GZ Prem that should be in this last week July build coming to me that I paid retail for + $230 shipping. Considering I inquired about one in early June and can get one now, I'm not going to cry about $230 on a $9k item that is currently the most in demand pin.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yup. Hahaha. I’m a better hobbyist than I am a businessman.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

If they start tacking shipping on top of all the recent price increases I am afraid I would be out on new games and just enjoy what I have and watch CraigsList for deals on used games.

I hear you and feel the same.

Quoted from GregCon:

I am sure shipping has gone up, and it is reasonable to see dealers increase their price. But it hasn't gone up $500; that is more like the total shipping price.

Yep. It's the full shipping fee.

Quoted from Darkwing:

but where do you truly expect to not pay tax?

In any state where the dealer doesn't do $100k+ annual sales.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

I called around a few weeks ago looking for a NIB Deadpool Premium. The dealer who had one wouldnt sell it to me unless I bought every single stern deadpool mod along with it, even the shitty shooter rod, plus paid the full shipping fee. Came to almost $11k. Hard pass. Some dealers are really pushing the envelope on the desirable titles.

#37 1 year ago

I called around a few weeks ago looking for a NIB Deadpool Premium. The dealer who had one wouldnt sell it to me unless I bought every single stern deadpool mod along with it, even the shitty shooter rod, plus paid the full shipping fee. Came to almost $11k. Hard pass. Some dealers are really pushing the envelope on the desirable titles.

Say what? Spill the beans

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

There’s nowhere you’re getting a NIB Stern Premium for 8k (with no tax or shipping). Pure hyperbole.

#39 1 year ago

Plenty of lousy dealers in the hobby.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thats not what I said if you bother to read it.

Any dealer giving free shipping is likely charging more for the game to make up the diff. If not then I have no idea how they make any money.

If they say "free shipping" it makes you feel like you get a deal even if you don't.

I was offered someone's position once but after I saw the numbers there was no way in hell I was doing it.

These guys really do work hard and get underpaid for the amount of shit they have to take... they must have serious love for the hobby.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

1000% Mike. It’s pinball. Always shady with the exception of a few like Zach

#43 1 year ago

Shipping on Alien LV was $400 from cointaker with fed ex freight. Not bad

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Yet no one ever names them when examples given. I’d love to know who to avoid.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Say what? Spill the beans

It was classic gamerooms. He said something like it's a hot title and it was his last one, so he gets to set the terms. I was ready to buy, but didn't want all the extra crap, and he wouldn't budge. I won't be calling him again.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

We still provide Free Shipping on all new Sterns, but I admit, it’s hurting lately with the shipping price increases, especially west coast. Shipping a Stern machine to the west coast can cost us $500-700. And we also pay shipping to get the games from Stern to our place.
    Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball

Says the guy who has the highest prices and the worst customer service. Purchase elsewhere.
    I've purchased a couple games from Zach and one of them still doesn't work properly NIB.

#47 1 year ago

Those dealers currently treating everyone like rich, desperate, moron newbs are not playing the long game. Deep-pocketed old timers are taking names and have a long memory.

#48 1 year ago

Those dealers currently treating everyone like rich, desperate, moron newbs are not playing the long game. Deep-pocketed old timers are taking names and have a long memory.

No doubt. Surprised that Jason at Classic took that approach.

He did that with me when Mando hit. LE mania. And then later said he wished he hadn’t done it but he did me a favor with that game. I said no f ing way. Long game

He’s been good for me before and after.

There are few I’ll never buy from again. EVER

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is brilliant - all GZ premium come with a crappy LZ or Rush lol.

where do you find a crappy Rush or Led zeppelin,2 great games.Havent seen the crappy ones

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThePlumber:

Says the guy who has the highest prices

Msrp with free shipping? I must be missing something here.

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-s-getting-hit-with-shipping-fees-on-their-new-sterns?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.