cat_(resized).jpg
vending-vandalism-banner-3_(resized).jpg
Kitty_kitty_(resized).JPG
bad-day-at-the-vending-machine_(resized).jpg
Robert-Tilton_(resized).jpg
DSCN4843_(resized).JPG
S_mc_(resized).PNG
heeyyyyyyy_(resized).PNG
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

On my AAB machines, a tilt forfeits the ball in play plus the next one.
Is that typical?

Some games have a death tilt . Tilt and it's game over .

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

.........I put tissue around the tilt bob.

????????????

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Non-nudgers - what do you do in this situation?

I'd call my mechanic and search PinWiki.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Some games have a death tilt . Tilt and it's game over .

Replay games mostly prior to 1965. Standard issue.

#155 7 years ago

Walk away? Wait it out? Or nudge the thing?
Nudging mid ball as it approaches outlanes is no different and no more or less harmful to the machine.

If it is a hot game, I would slide down the glass and put the ball back in the shoot lane to risk tilting. (Only if really stuck)
Is that a crime?

#156 7 years ago

If it is a hot game, I would slide down the glass and put the ball back in the shoot lane to risk tilting. (Only if really stuck)
Is that a crime?

What if it's on route? Would you try to find an attendant to do it it for you? What if he didn't have the key? Would you insist the OP come down from wherever he is and do It?

#157 7 years ago

Slam it then, and hope for the best!

#158 7 years ago

Slam it then, and hope for the best!

That's how you get your bag of chips!

#159 7 years ago

On my AAB machines, a tilt forfeits the ball in play plus the next one.
Is that typical?

Very typical for Gottlieb add-a-balls. Williams and Bally aabs usually just take the ball in play. Gottlieb replay machines, at least the single player games, end the game for a tilt. Later wedgeheads take the ball in play for a plumb bob tilt, but end the game if the machine is lifted, and the ball roll tilt is tripped. I guess the designers came to realize the difference between spirited play and abuse.

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Williams and Bally aabs usually just take the ball in play.

If I remember correctly my Williams Palooka took the ball in play and the next ball too.

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's how you get your bag of chips!

Do I get the kitty too?

#162 7 years ago

what no nudging?might as well play a game on a computer.

#163 7 years ago

Some games were designed to nudge. Flip Flop mandates it with these outlanes.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#164 7 years ago

What do you do when the ball is on a Bagatelle? Just wait and let it go?
pinbot_mini_playfield_complete_(resized).jpgpinbot_mini_playfield_complete_(resized).jpgIMG_0471_(resized).jpgIMG_0471_(resized).jpg

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Replay games mostly prior to 1965. Standard issue.

My late 60's Gottlieb single-players (Domino, Spin-A-Card, 1968 & 1969) all end on tilt. I don't think the multiplayer one (Airport, 1969) from the exact same era does though, for obvious reasons. (It would end both players)

#166 7 years ago

My July, 1973 Gottlieb High hand wedgehead ends game on tilt. It really makes you think about your gameplay technique, especially if you have a killer game going on ball 1.

#167 7 years ago

I very rarely nudge my or other's games, but my friend goes total bananas when playing, slapping the cab, almost lifting the whole thing and curses alot

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:my friend goes total bananas when playing, slapping the cab, almost lifting the whole thing and curses alot

Nudge_it_baby_(resized).JPGNudge_it_baby_(resized).JPG

#169 7 years ago

Yep, pretty accurate, ive told him several times jokingly: "You break the wood on the cab and you buy me a new one"

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from hottubr:

Best answer yet.

#171 7 years ago

I believe in slight nudging on the older pins if necessary but other than that I see it as abusing the machines. Fine if you want to be aggressive with the new pins....for which I have little respect for, but the older EM's., well I respect their classiness and what they've been thru and don't all allow aggressive nudging. If nobody aggressively nudges the pin then the gameplay is even.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

If nobody aggressively nudges the pin then the gameplay is even.

Seriously?

#174 7 years ago

These are commercial pieces of equipment designed to take abuse.
Set the tilt and nudge away your pin is going to be okay.

While we are on the looney train...On top of no nudging, don't use the lane change feature, its wears my flipper parts out, and new players might not use it. We want to be fair to newbs so only flip when hitting the ball... in fact hit both flippers at the same time to be even more newb friendly.

#175 7 years ago

No nudging is total BS. Nudging IS pinball.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Nudging IS pinball.

Rubbing is Racing !

#177 7 years ago

Walk away? Wait it out? Or nudge the thing?
Nudging mid ball as it approaches outlanes is no different and no more or less harmful to the machine.

Pinball Congress rules state: 124(8)(b) Player shall have a second party slide the glass back and remove the ball. Ball shall remain out of play until game is over.

#178 7 years ago

I don't necessary nudge the games that much but I do play or hit the flippers hard or thrust forward on the lock down bar maybe if that's the best way to describe it. I hate sensitive tilts for this matter and don't believe they should be triggered for playing this way. I have watched others tap the flippers differently and tried it but it's just not me. It's just part of the game, in the wild sensitive tilts ruin it for me.

#179 7 years ago

Ya seriously......If people lightly nudge or don't nudge at all while playing the same game then the gameplay is somewhat even. Think about it.

#180 7 years ago

...but the whole idea of pinball is that the 'ball is wild' - why remove an aspect of your control?

#181 7 years ago

Only time i might nudge the ball is when its heading for an outlane, otherwise i use the flippers, and still i play pretty good games, so i dont need to do it like im in some boxing match VS Mike Tyson like my friend does.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from hottubr:

We Have a Winner! I appreciate the feedback Folks!I examined my play and realized I never really stopped nudging,what I stopped doing was shoving the %$^# out of it. Forward lurch on the flippers?Check.Smacking it sideways in a certain manner (out lanes)? Yep.
Play often. Keep it fast,nudge all you want.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

...but the whole idea of pinball is that the 'ball is wild' - why remove an aspect of your control?

Exxxactly..............

#184 7 years ago

How were you supposed to play flipper-less pins without any nudging? Why bother having an adjustable tilt bob if you just don't want anyone nudging at all? I think some gentle persuasion was expected. It's interesting to note that they put slam tilts on the coin door and under the playfields, but I don't think I've seen a game with a slam tilt on the sides of the game. It seems like they were most concerned with people breaking the glass or damaging the vital money taking parts of the game, more than with people just slapping or nudging the game.

#185 7 years ago

Nudging is a part of the game. Most nudging is so subtle it could never damage anything, so there should be no concern. And if you are being that violent you may be over doing it or doing death saves or something crazy like that. I'm surprised at all the folks saying they don't do it. Why remove an entire interesting dimension of gameplay that's truly unique to a physics-based game?

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeNewberry:

How were you supposed to play flipper-less pins without any nudging? Why bother having an adjustable tilt bob if you just don't want anyone nudging at all? I think some gentle persuasion was expected. It's interesting to note that they put slam tilts on the coin door and under the playfields, but I don't think I've seen a game with a slam tilt on the sides of the game. It seems like they were most concerned with people breaking the glass or damaging the vital money taking parts of the game, more than with people just slapping or nudging the game.

They were not so much concerned with damage, but didn't want the games slammed in order to get free credits.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

They were not so much concerned with damage, but didn't want the games slammed in order to get free credits.

That was definitely a factor as well. On a lot of EMs the coils that coin up the game, award extra balls, or reset the game for play are on rubber grommets to decrease the chances they'll activate through vibration, including vibration caused by people whacking the game.

Some Bally games had 455 bulb driven delay circuits that would keep the game off for a few seconds after a slam tilt. That would definitely feed into the idea they were most concerned with people not getting a free credit from abusing the game. If the game is off, it's not giving you anything.

At the same time, I still think the slam tilts were also there to discourage people from taking their frustration out on fragile/money making parts of the game.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeNewberry:

That was definitely a factor as well. On a lot of EMs the coils that coin up the game, award extra balls, or reset the game for play are on rubber grommets to decrease the chances they'll activate through vibration, including vibration caused by people whacking the game.
Some Bally games had 455 bulb driven delay circuits that would keep the game off for a few seconds after a slam tilt. That would definitely feed into the idea they were most concerned with people not getting a free credit from abusing the game. If the game is off, it's not giving you anything.
At the same time, I still think the slam tilts were also there to discourage people from taking their frustration out on fragile/money making parts of the game.

As a young man I discovered the "Pick up the front 3 or so inches and drop the game" which usually racked up 3 games,sometimes more.This was on a Fireball,not sure any other machines worked this way.I have yet to try this technique on the ones I have since I don't need to.But it worked like clockwork on that Fireball,with no tilt.

#189 7 years ago

The only time I don't nudge is when I'm plunging an extra ball in league play.

#190 7 years ago

Depends on the game. Ice Show you have to nudge the bejesus out of it. Lucky Hand I only nudge in the top rollovers . I watched young kids play my Em's it's funny watching them stand like statues and the hit both flipper buttons at the same time instead of one side .

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I examined my play and realized I never really stopped nudging,

That's what I figured. If your hands are on the machine, chances are you are nudging.

Quoted from o-din:

If somebody really thinks they are playing pinball without nudging at all, take the palms of your hands off the lock down bar and only touch the flipper buttons with your finger tips and see how that works for you.
My guess is some might be nudging without even knowing it.

#192 7 years ago

Is it important for you to feel you are right? Pretty petty dude.Who cares what you figured?

#193 7 years ago

I play my games like they were meant to be played. Sometimes I tilt but never abuse the games like I did as a kid.

#194 7 years ago

When visiting another pinball friend, take note if the sides of the back box of pins are touching each other, or against a wall . There is no nudging going on in that house.

4 months later
#195 7 years ago

So I know this is an old topic, but just found it because I was curious how tightly I should adjust the tilt setting. In my game play, I find nudging to be very game dependent. Don't bump Rocky and Bullwinkle hardly at all, my em 4-square nudge some, but Drop a Card - no chance of keeping the ball out of the side drain lanes if you don't give it a well timed slightly more than gentle bump.

#196 7 years ago

As a kid, I was terribly abusive to pinball machines. I would tilt often, get angry and would often slap the playfield glass which would make an awful loud noise. Sometimes I would pick up the machine and drop it. I was a bad kid.

Now, I relax and just play the game. Never get mad and don't nudge much. It's all about flipper skill and knowing the game. Saw someone playing, how I used to play, at free play Orlando. Game shut down and I sorta laughed as he stormed off.

#197 7 years ago

You should fine tune the game however you see fit.

If you were an operator with the pin on location, they'd be very tight to maximize profits.

If you were new to pinball and learning to play, you might remove them to practice nudging.

If you are trying to make your home collection as challenging and fun as possible, you might set them where you think the game plays best. Each game, set up just right.

-mof

#198 7 years ago

I play "Nudge Very Poorly - Usually Self-Destructive" pinball.

Does that count?

#199 7 years ago

Last couple of EM restores I have done, I have wired in a tilt on/off switch & a free/coin switch - both of which are on a nice clean little switch plate just inside the coin door. Really handy for those times you want to have your way with the machine, or if a ball gets stuck & you need to dislodge it.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

As a kid, I was terribly abusive to pinball machines. I would tilt often, get angry and would often slap the playfield glass which would make an awful loud noise. Sometimes I would pick up the machine and drop it. I was a bad kid.
Now, I relax and just play the game. Never get mad and don't nudge much. It's all about flipper skill and knowing the game. Saw someone playing, how I used to play, at free play Orlando. Game shut down and I sorta laughed as he stormed off.

How many times did you get bounced out of the arcade?

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-plays-no-nudge-pinball/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.