cat_(resized).jpg
vending-vandalism-banner-3_(resized).jpg
Kitty_kitty_(resized).JPG
bad-day-at-the-vending-machine_(resized).jpg
Robert-Tilton_(resized).jpg
DSCN4843_(resized).JPG
S_mc_(resized).PNG
heeyyyyyyy_(resized).PNG

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from jmpinball:

Nudging leads to abuse and damaged pins.

Abuse leads to Damaged pins. Nudging is not abuse. it is just that, nudging. If someone is raging shaking the game all over the place and slamming the game into walls and other games, that is abuse. Skillful nudging abuses games no more than flipping the flippers.

I hate when people go nuts on a game after draining. That is completely uncalled for, and a lot of times it can be detrimental to the next players turn. That and throwing temper tantrums are probably the only two things I hate experiencing in this hobby.

If you are a master at nudging and saving, that can be some of the most impressive things to witness in pinball.

#102 7 years ago

Playing without nudging is like getting a hands-free hummer.

Or maybe giving one.

#103 7 years ago

Never nudge, never tilt. I just stand there and let the machine dictate what is happening. I do this for 2 reasons;
1. I suck at playing pinball
2. I don't know these are commercials machines and have been hammered on by hands & groins for decades.

#104 7 years ago

simonphoenix_(resized).jpgsimonphoenix_(resized).jpg

"I'm sorry to say that the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies."

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

Nudging it makes it a more "athletic" game, giving you more control over where the ball does (or, sometimes keeping it from going where it shouldn't).

Excellent comment concerning the "Contact Sport " version some players prefer.I used to be there,believe me!A machine needs to be set up for this kind of action to work,but its fun when it does.Liberal tilt and firmly mounted legs set low was always good.
Do not discount "Just Flippers", they are the sole reason these things became games of chance.I've tried a dozen things to make the flippers more responsive and after a lot of experimentation its there.
"Nudge" means different things to Linebackers, Jockeys and drunks.

#106 7 years ago

I don't have the reflexes to make it worth the effort. I still try occasionally and do see how it changes playing considerably. I'd have to say any really good long lasting player Ive watched nudges often.

It would seem that if the game slides on the legs out of place, that's not a nudge. Palm or hip into the machine a bit well timed seems to be part of it.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

The warning is that you are cheating and if it continues, the game ends....

Okay Ted -- the game doesn't end... Only the ball !

#108 7 years ago

So, im not a huge nudger. Not opposed to it, dont feel like it is cheating, and don't care if others nudge my machines.
I guess the real reason why i dont personally nudge is that i have a T2 and a DM that are both in good condition. Then a couple of years ago I was at my uncle's house watching him play his space station (about 10 years older than both of my machines), and I stood there and fear watching him play convinced that the back box was going to snap off at any moment. The combination of sights and sounds was stressful because everytime he nudged the machine, i envisioned the backbox snapping off.
Ever since then I have avoided nudging on privately owned machines. This is mainly out of the respect I have for the amount of work owners have put into their machines.
On the other hand, it seems like I'm constantly losing money playing half working machines out in the wild, so I am much more willing to nudge. If the owner can't bother to level the machine or if it is clearly just pieced together (wrong coil strength etc...) then ill nudge. If the owner doesn't want to take care of the machine and all they care about is stealing quarters I'm not going to go out of my way either.
With all of that being said, I can't think of many examples where nudging has led me to get a drastically higher score than I otherwise would have gotten, so it doesn't really matter to me... or maybe I'm just not very good at it

#109 7 years ago

I am always surprised by the number of people who don't nudge. It like trying win the Indy 500 doing the speed limit.
The playing poker without bluffing comment was spot on.

Seriously a ball saved by good nudging is just like getting an extra ball it is a huge advantage and boost to your score. It is a necessary element to pinball playing.

#110 7 years ago

Sometimes my friends and I play ONLY nudge (no flipping ) games for dollars .

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from majicman110:

The combination of sights and sounds was stressful because everytime he nudged the machine, i envisioned the backbox snapping off.

Sounds like he was just using the head latch and didn't have any head bolts securing the head to the body.

Quoted from majicman110:

On the other hand, it seems like I'm constantly losing money playing half working machines out in the wild, so I am much more willing to nudge. If the owner can't bother to level the machine or if it is clearly just pieced together (wrong coil strength etc...) then ill nudge. If the owner doesn't want to take care of the machine and all they care about is stealing quarters I'm not going to go out of my way either.

Nudging out of spite. That's a new one. Haha

#112 7 years ago

Our friends at NAVL and STI sure know how to give a game a good nudge.

#113 7 years ago

I don't nudge, never have, never really will. Just don't see the point. While everyone says its part of the game, I think it was with EM's etc. With these games its the mostly about the shots and the skill. Passing the ball, holding, etc. So i've never done it since it doesn't feel natural to me.

Do I care that others do? Nah. However I've seen a few people violently shake games, I wish you could have the game hit them back...

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from boris_37:

While everyone says its part of the game, I think it was with EM's etc.

etc. being everything after EMs? C'mon man, you will have to do better than that.

#115 7 years ago

The way I see it is people don't have to nudge if they don't want to.

But those that think it shouldn't be allowed or is not part of the game should remove all the rubbers from their machines and replace them with something solid.

#116 7 years ago

I have never seen "great" players who don't nudge a game. I hope to be a semi-great player some day. You can do what you wish with your games but I'm going to push back a little. If the fear of nudging is born of the "I might hurt the game" mentality, don't be a freaking nancy. The tilt is there for a reason. Show the game who is boss but don't go overboard. Just play pinball. It's part of the game.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Sometimes my friends and I play ONLY nudge (no flipping ) games for dollars .

Taking it way back. I like it.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The way I see it is people don't have to nudge if they don't want to.
But those that think it shouldn't be allowed or is not part of the game should remove all the rubbers from their machines and replace them with something solid.

As well as Goal Post padding,tires from cars, elbow and shoulder padding from Sports Jackets.
Sorry,just having fun,continue....

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

As well as Goal Post padding,tires from cars, elbow and shoulder padding from Sports Jackets.
Sorry,just having fun,continue....

The point I was making is as the ball heads towards a rubber on the playfield, you can either let it do what it will or give it some direction with a skilled nudge. That is what nudging is all about. Flippers are not the only part of the game you were meant to be able to control. There are many more places the ball will hit.

#120 7 years ago

Pinball is called pinball because it used to be literally nothing but a ball and pins. No flippers. The only method to obtaining a higher score was through nudging the ball into the proper places. The first game with flippers didn't come until much later. So I find it interesting (incorrect) when people assert that nudging is wrong, cheating, or not a part of pinball. Not only is it a part of pinball, it is arguably the most important aspect (both historically and currently) of pinball gameplay.

#121 7 years ago

If somebody really thinks they are playing pinball without nudging at all, take the palms of your hands off the lock down bar and only touch the flipper buttons with your finger tips and see how that works for you.

My guess is some might be nudging without even knowing it.

At a time when tilt ended your entire game, instead of multiple tilt warnings and then only losing a ball, it taught table manners quickly. Today's games do not punish enough IMO, and that has lead to abuse.

#122 7 years ago

I'm generally not a nudger. But if the ball is teetering between the in lane and the out lane, I notice myself giving it a bit of a nudge. If a warning or tilt, I resist the nudge and am at the mercy of the silver ball.

#123 7 years ago

I don't...

mp_(resized).jpgmp_(resized).jpg

#124 7 years ago

I am convinced that nudging can take some of the randomness out of the ball movement and the randomness of having good and bad games, but it's still theory as my nudging successes are still rather sparse. Maybe also out of respect for the machines I have trouble overcoming my hesitation to use force. But I ain't gonna give up. But that being said there are so many non-nudge techniques waiting to be mastered - like on Cyclone after hitting the Cyclone ramp and when the ball comes back down the right inlane to tip the ball off the right flipper to get it to the left flipper.

#125 7 years ago

I nudge. I don't beat the daylights out of the pin. I find I'm more successful with a well timed gentle nudge. I rarely tilt and set my bob about halfway. My wife never nudges even though she sees that it works sometimes.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

etc. being everything after EMs? C'mon man, you will have to do better than that.

No I don't. I'm not trying to convince you of my opinions. Get over yourself. I play the way I play and you do the way you do. Live life and move on.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from boris_37:

No I don't. I'm not trying to convince you of my opinions.

Just wondering what you meant by etc . At what point was nudging no longer a part of pinball? 1980? 1985? 1990? 2000?

#128 7 years ago

Part of this everybody gets a trophy mentality of the world now. Nudging isn't PC enough I guess.

#129 7 years ago

Perhaps 1990 was the last year nudging was in vogue?

image-1_(resized).jpgimage-1_(resized).jpg

#130 7 years ago

I typically play no nudge pinball after 2 tilt warnings

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I typically play no nudge pinball after 2 tilt warnings

Or three

#132 7 years ago

Hey!! I'm on two warnings now and have been for the past 3 months thanks to you!

#133 7 years ago

Guess we don't need a poll, it's 99 Ayes, and 1 "Get off my lawn!"
-mof

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps 1990 was the last year nudging was in vogue?

or a failed licensing deal with Ted Nugent

#135 7 years ago

I play no nudge, but only bc I have to really shift my position to get enough power into my nudges to do anything. Usually by the time I figure that out, it's too late to nudge!

#136 7 years ago

I will nudge in the pops and to save at the outlanes.
I respect the machine owners methods. Nudge or no nudge.

If in league play and losing badly on my third ball I will nudge more aggressively. (if allowed by owner/ location)

My son and wife do not nudge at all. ( Consider it cheating)
I think that it is cheating if you tilt . That is why the pendulum is there.
If you tilt you have gone outside the rules but nudging up to there is legal.

#137 7 years ago

Nudging is part of the game! Also, I put tissue around the tilt bob.
(Now it can't hurt me no more)

#138 7 years ago

I have been playing pinball for 15 years or so. I don't nudge to much. Maybe not at all. I think nudging is part of pinball. I really think if I did it, my game scores would improve. Put it this way. I have 24 guys/gals in my league. I'm ranked 7th. The person leading the league nudges like a bitch.

#139 7 years ago

If somebody weighs in excess of 250 lbs and has his hands on a pinball machine, I can guarantee some kind of nudging is happening whether he believes it or not.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If somebody weighs in excess of 250 lbs and has his hands on a pinball machine, I can guarantee some kind of nudging is happening whether he believes it or not.

Just lean your gut into the machine, it'll act as a buffer against excess nudging.

#141 7 years ago

I nudge the heck out of my machines, and I've never hurt any of them. That being said, when I nudge them my goal is to simply "wobble" the machine slightly without the leveling legs sliding on the floor one tiny bit. If the leveling legs move on the floor, I feel I've gone too far. I don't see how you can hurt the machines by doing this kind of subtle nudging, unless you forget to bolt and clamp the backbox (and it falls onto the cabinet rails), or your legs are loose and you have no leg protectors and the loose legs start eating into your cabinet. I also leave a few inches between my backboxes, just in case, as I don't want the back box bolts eating into the adjacent machine's backbox should the nudging sway the backbox a bit. Now, if you have to have your machines really close in your line-up, I can see being concerned about the backboxes making contact with each other, and perhaps then I'd go really easy on the nudging or try to avoid it completely. I don't think I can avoid nudging to some degree, as it's an automatic behavior from 3 decades of playing pinball. It just feels natural to me.

#142 7 years ago

On my Trio you have to nudge it when it goes in the bonus countdown hole and 9 times outta 10 drain between the flippers. The kicker hits it with no intenton of keeping the ball in play!

You have to time it just right , I like it like that......

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

On my Trio you have to nudge it when it goes in the bonus countdown hole and 9 times outta 10 drain between the flippers. The kicker hits it with no intenton of keeping the ball in play!
You have to time it just right , I like it like that.....

Similar on Arrow Head. If you don't give a nudge as it comes out of the kicker between the flippers, it will go into the center gobble hole and end your ball. Which is OK if it is lit for specials, but that is more towards the end of the game.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I set my tilts pretty tight. Keeps everybody honest.
I'm amazed how many games come missing the tilt bob, one of the most important features in a pinball machine.

You listening, Vic?

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Or maybe giving one.

I never thought of it that way!

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Or maybe giving one.

That IS a pretty strange analogy.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

On Majorettes if you tilt you lose your current ball and one more. So on the last ball if your going to drain and there is a chance to save it with a hearty nudge. Why not? Nothing to lose really. Either it drains and game is over, tilts and game is over or you have a triumphant save.
I'm kind of surprised honestly that so many are anti-nudge. I always assumed it was just part of becoming a better player.

Totally agree. I nudge, and much harder on the last ball.

#148 7 years ago

On my AAB machines, a tilt forfeits the ball in play plus the next one.
Is that typical?

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

On my AAB machines, a tilt forfeits the ball in play plus the next one.
Is that typical?

Pretty much from what I have seen. I'll have to check Flipper later as I haven't tilted it in a while. But other I have played did.

#150 7 years ago

Non-nudgers - what do you do in this situation?
iamscaredtonudge_(resized).jpgiamscaredtonudge_(resized).jpg
Walk away? Wait it out? Or nudge the thing?
Nudging mid ball as it approaches outlanes is no different and no more or less harmful to the machine.

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-plays-no-nudge-pinball/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.