cat_(resized).jpg
vending-vandalism-banner-3_(resized).jpg
Kitty_kitty_(resized).JPG
bad-day-at-the-vending-machine_(resized).jpg
Robert-Tilton_(resized).jpg
DSCN4843_(resized).JPG
S_mc_(resized).PNG
heeyyyyyyy_(resized).PNG

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

I've shook the (%$ out of my share of games over the years. I've been playing my 2 machines no nudge lately with no shaking whatsoever.I've noticed little difference in my average score.I concentrate more on the flipper action during the game.It may be an age thing,I try to set the machines up to optimum play and keep them that way but I guess I'm tired of manhandling pinball machines.
Also,does anyone play without play field glass? A raw pinball experience on an EM. I'll play a few games this way after waxing, like it.
How about removing the back panel(or leaning it against the back wall) to let the chimes and bells sing?

#2 7 years ago

I set my tilts pretty tight. Keeps everybody honest.

I'm amazed how many games come missing the tilt bob, one of the most important features in a pinball machine.

#3 7 years ago

Light nudges are part of the game, heavy shoving is not (in my opinion). I really only nudge when I'm aiming for a certain lane though, don't see how/why people do it the whole game when the ball is shooting all over the place. Seems kinda overkill and without much purpose.

Also, hate hate hate playing games with the glass off. Everything is 10x louder and even if you can be loud and it's totally fine, it hurts my ear. Louder isn't always cooler (like music ), and the same goes with the bells I'd say. Much nicer with it closed up like it's supposed to be. Maybe if you're messing around with buddies or something you can let the bells chime away but I find that they're loud enough with the doors closed let alone open (just when you thought they couldn't get any louder).

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm amazed how many games come missing the tilt bob

Last 3 games I bought had the tilt bob removed or bent out of place.

Generally I have the bob set 1/2 way in the middle.

#5 7 years ago

Generally when at other Pinsiders places I don't nudge the game.
Playing a no nudge game, and find myself nudging on outlane balls, sometimes.

#6 7 years ago

I play to the limit the game allows. If it's loose, it gets worked right to the edge.
Nothing better than a really generous tilt on a location pin.

#7 7 years ago

I try and use a light touch and feel on my pins. I never tilt. Just how i play.

If i was playing tournament pinball competitively it would be a different story.

#8 7 years ago

I do but it's more out of general laziness.

#9 7 years ago

Heeeeyyyyyy

heeyyyyyyy_(resized).PNGheeyyyyyyy_(resized).PNG

#10 7 years ago

My wife does. She says nudging is cheating. Of course I nudge the hell out of them.

#11 7 years ago

I death save on any game that has a tilt setting which allows it

#12 7 years ago

I never used to nudge much. Then a few games came along that almost required it. Teacher's Pet and Majorettes depend on nudging to have a respectable game. I've grown to like it but these games aren't much fun when I'm feeling lazy.

#13 7 years ago

We're a no-nudge house. It's just the way I was raised. I passed it on to my daughters too. There's something about getting a really high score playing clean...

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from RussT:

We're a no-nudge house. It's just the way I was raised. I passed it on to my daughters too.

I showed my daughter how to nudge and now she's got the hang of it. On the kind of games I have it is essential. Otherwise the games will beat you up.

#15 7 years ago

Nudge, push the game to tilt!!!
I'm a poor shot so I have to try what I can!

#16 7 years ago

I don't ever nudge the games, just never seen the real reason why....but that's me. I have found that playing a game with the glass off (which is usually when I'm working on or testing the game) I seem to be a better player. Perhaps its because I can "hear" the ball so to speak? I don't know what you'd call it but it's like I'm more "in tune" with the game.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Also,does anyone play without play field glass? A raw pinball experience on an EM. I'll play a few games this way after waxing, like it.

And the answer to this question is yes. I want to make sure everything is right before I go to the trouble of screwing those wingnuts back on.

#18 7 years ago

I never nudge. It just doesn't seem right to me though I don't mind at all when others do. Just not my thing.

#19 7 years ago

I never nudge, besides its too difficult with white cotton gloves on.

#20 7 years ago

Light nudging at my own house, but I don't nudge when playing someone else's machine.

#21 7 years ago

Little to no nudging unless it's an EM then some nudging. I never use a heavy hand or slap the machine.

#22 7 years ago

My son's a 15yr old 250LB right guard that's "farmer strong"
He won't nudge at all.
I'm trying to unlock his inner warrior nudging skills.
No luck so far.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

My son's a 15yr old 250LB right guard that's "farmer strong"
He won't nudge at all.
I'm trying to unlock his inner warrior nudging skills.
No luck so far.

He's just a gentle giant.

He doesn't need to "nudge" pins, you need to set a few of them up as blocking sled practice for him.

Let him work on dead lifting pins from a squat position.

#24 7 years ago

S_mc_(resized).PNGS_mc_(resized).PNG

Exactly

#25 7 years ago

I can't imagine not putting a little nudge on a game like Frontiersman.

DSCN4843_(resized).JPGDSCN4843_(resized).JPG

#26 7 years ago

Depends on the game, I play on location only so I don't really get a choice as to how the game is set up, so sometimes nudging is necessary. If I don't tilt at least once at an arcade visit, I'm probably not having a good time - work it! Is there anything more satisfying than wiggling a ball back up from an outlane? EMs are good for nudging, too, on some it's practically a feature.

Quoted from iceman44:

He's just a gentle giant.
He doesn't need to "nudge" pins, you need to set a few of them up as blocking sled practice for him.
Let him work on dead lifting pins from a squat position.

Just keep him away from rabbits.

#27 7 years ago

Depends who owns the game!

#28 7 years ago

I nudge my games all the time. I'll nudge tournament games all the time. If at a friends house, I'll observe how they play their games. If they nudge, I nudge. If they don't, I ask if nudging is OK. If they prefer I don't then that's fine, no big deal. I can have fun playing either way.

Some people consider nudging cheating or abusive to the game. To me it's just the way the game is played. Before flippers, how would the player manipulate the ball? Nudging, right? Skillful nudging is perfectly acceptable and part of how the game is played. Now if you're smacking the back box into the wall then yes, obviously that's abusive and unnecessary to get the ball to do what you want. But nudging, forward pushing and slap saving I don't consider abusive or cheating. A properly set tilt keeps you in check as to what you can get by with.

-Steve

#29 7 years ago

If your not nudging your not playing! I have my pin set to about as average as possible on the tilt bob.
I can't help myself but to nudge a pinball machine a bit. I dont't abuse a machine but nudging is just part of playing
pinball. I don't consider it cheating or not nudging a clean game its the only way I know how to play a good game
of pinball.

#30 7 years ago

If you ain't tiltin' - You ain't tryin'!!

#31 7 years ago

I feel like a total spazz when I nudge and the lesson is I do more harm than good.

#32 7 years ago

I have noticed almost all younger players do not nudge. They just stand there and push the flipper buttons and looked suprised or bored when the ball drains. If they play a few games with me or the wife they soon learn a few good nudges can save the ball and really up thier score. No needto abuse any machine but to me nudging is just part of the game.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

I nudge my games all the time. I'll nudge tournament games all the time. If at a friends house, I'll observe how they play their games. If they nudge, I nudge. If they don't, I ask if nudging is OK. If they prefer I don't then that's fine, no big deal. I can have fun playing either way.
Some people consider nudging cheating or abusive to the game. To me it's just the way the game is played. Before flippers, how would the player manipulate the ball? Nudging, right? Skillful nudging is perfectly acceptable and part of how the game is played. Now if you're smacking the back box into the wall then yes, obviously that's abusive and unnecessary to get the ball to do what you want. But nudging, forward pushing and slap saving I don't consider abusive or cheating. A properly set tilt keeps you in check as to what you can get by with.
-Steve

All of this

#34 7 years ago

Feel the Tilt(on). Play it right to the edge, it's a part of the game.

Robert-Tilton_(resized).jpgRobert-Tilton_(resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

Not my wife.
I swear I've seen her slam a game right off the floor,
then accuse me of having the tilt set too tight.

Me....not so much.

#36 7 years ago

I never nudge. Partly because I haven't learned, and partly because I don't see the need for it. It seems cheat-ish.

#37 7 years ago

I used to be no-nudge player until I came back to pinball in the 21st century after a 20-year hiatus. I don't see why there's anything wrong with it as long as it's not overly damaging. If you don't do it, then pinball really does become a true game of change, with the only thing you can control is the flippers. Nudging it makes it a more "athletic" game, giving you more control over where the ball does (or, sometimes keeping it from going where it shouldn't).

I've got gentle nudging to a point where I can keep at least 50% of balls headed for the side outlanes in play. I wish I could master technique nudging techniques to keep balls from going straight down the middle.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

. I wish I could master technique nudging techniques to keep balls from going straight down the middle.

The Slap shot & slider are your friends.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

nudging is cheating

Agree

#40 7 years ago

I'm too tired to nudge.........

#41 7 years ago

People can nudge my games as hard as they like. But you're out if you slam a fist down on my PDI glass.

#42 7 years ago

If nudging was cheating, then there wouldn't be warnings before you tilt, would there?

#43 7 years ago

The warning is that you are cheating and if it continues, the game ends....

#44 7 years ago

If it's cheating, then why have warnings at all? Why did we ever change from the days of EMs with instant game overs?

#45 7 years ago

On Majorettes if you tilt you lose your current ball and one more. So on the last ball if your going to drain and there is a chance to save it with a hearty nudge. Why not? Nothing to lose really. Either it drains and game is over, tilts and game is over or you have a triumphant save.

I'm kind of surprised honestly that so many are anti-nudge. I always assumed it was just part of becoming a better player.

#46 7 years ago

I'm not big on nudging, maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm not a good player.

#47 7 years ago

I'm very gentle with my EMs because I'm afraid I'm going to break something. I nudge everything else, especially Metallica. I have a groove worn in the carpet from all the death saves.

I tried it with DM once, but it's too damn heavy.

During leagues I'll slide it into the other room if the tilt allows.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I feel like a total spazz when I nudge and the lesson is I do more harm than good.

keep practicing

#49 7 years ago

I've got to work on my nudging, right now it results in a drain 99% of the time....

#50 7 years ago

it is an equal switch like any other on the game.

"nudging IS pinball"

I need a shirt with that.

Seriously, why even play if you dont nudge?

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-plays-no-nudge-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.