You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (2) (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
51w2XqmjPmL (resized).jpg
scrooged (resized).jpg
musicalscrooge04 (resized).jpg
scrooge-1970-ghost-of-christmas-present-albert-finney-kenneth-more-review (resized).jpg
rlcc (resized).jpg
christmascarol1951_120520120158 (resized).jpg
Picard (resized).jpg
henry winkler scrooge (resized).jpg
aacc (resized).jpg
acc (resized).jpg
aac (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
6756i2B4C58E6021EFAA8 (resized).jpeg
C9D77E1D-B7CF-4874-A3C6-4A7348476E97.jpeg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Sim for the win. It doesn’t get any better than that.

#52 6 years ago

Curly was my favorite Stooge.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never seen any of them other than Bill Murray

My word!

#54 6 years ago

I think we are down to three now. Alistair Sim, Albert Finney, and Bill Murray. And honestly those three would fill my holiday Scrooge need. Sorry Reginald, but you got bumped.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Alastair Sim is on TV tonight (Dec 24). A Christmas Carol. Four Stars.

Missed it. Or our TV doesn't show it anymore. They haven't showed 71 Scrooge in at least the last decade. The Fonz one's been kind of fazed out too.

Quoted from vid1900:

Albert Finney has been the best by far for 50 years running.
It's not even a contest....

I always had a soft spot for this scene.

musicalscrooge04 (resized).jpgmusicalscrooge04 (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think we are down to three now. Alistair Sim, Albert Finney, and Bill Murray.

???

Bah! Humbug!

#57 6 years ago

scrooged (resized).jpgscrooged (resized).jpg

#58 6 years ago

Was just reading the original novella. Was unaware the phrase isn't "Bah, humbug!"

It's more emphatic: "Bah! Humbug!"

#59 6 years ago

Albert Finney..... the musical adaptation from the 70’s

#60 6 years ago

I think he was kidding, that's like saying you never heard a Beatles song.

#61 6 years ago

After everybody left last night I was flipping around the channels and caught the end of the Reginald Owen classic on Turner. So there is hope after all.

#62 6 years ago

This time of year you get all kinds of Scrooges coming out of the woodwork.

51w2XqmjPmL (resized).jpg51w2XqmjPmL (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I think he was kidding, that's like saying you never heard a Beatles song.

Couldn't say for sure, but regardless, it no longer amazes me how unfamiliar some folks are with things that I consider to be traditional or commonplace knowledge.

The older I get, the more so. Funny how that works.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Couldn't say for sure, but regardless, it no longer amazes me how unfamiliar some folks are with things that I consider to be traditional or commonplace knowledge.
The older I get, the more so. Funny how that works.

As far as tradition, to be fair, you listed the George C Scott version as the best. I love the man and all, but tradition was set down long before he did that one.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As far as tradition, to be fair, you listed the George C Scott version as the best. I love the man and all, but tradition was set down long before he did that one.

I stand by my choice and it was based on a full knowledge of the other versions.

We're fortunate to have so many to choose from! A very Merry Christmas to you o-din!

#66 6 years ago

If it's your favorite that's fine! But tradition to me was watching the Owen and Sim versions on TV and plugging my VHS copy of Finney's in the old VCR!

Merry Christmas to you too!

#67 6 years ago

And why Scrooge on VHS? Because when they showed it on TV, they edited the shit out of it

Seriously, when Scrooge came out in 1971 it was a big deal. A blockbuster if you will, and all the kids went to go see it.

#68 6 years ago

Not necessarily about the best actor, But I've always liked the animated short version by Richard Williams (Director of Who framed Roger Rabbit) from 1971.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068373/

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Not necessarily about the best actor, But I've always liked the animated short version by Richard Williams (Director of Who framed Roger Rabbit) from 1971.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068373/

I remember that one and it looks like Alistair Sim played the lead once again.

#70 6 years ago

If Vid says Finney, I owe it to myself to watch it. I've never seen that one.

Until then, Sim is still my man.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I get the feeling there are a lot of people that haven't seen that one yet. With so many versions since that one, it rarely if ever gets shown anymore. And as mentioned, when they did, it was edited badly.

And in edited badly, it's like when they took the boat ride scene out of Willy Wonka.

#72 6 years ago

Well, after Sim, which is hands-down my favorite, I've really been enjoying Mr. Magoo.
When I was growing up it was usually shown in the afternoon, sometimes after school, so perfect "kid time".
It's got that retro, 60's animation feel like The Pink Panther, or Chuck Jones stuff. It's funny, I remember strongly disliking the musical numbers, but now I think they make the rendition great.
Merry Christmas with Razzleberry Dressing!!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

images (2) (resized).jpgimages (2) (resized).jpg

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Until then, Sim is still my man.

It isn't just Sim in the role. The production of the film is heads above the others.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-played-the-best-scrooge/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.