Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6480.jpg
IMG_6481.jpg
image.jpg
305020-i.jpg
alienpinrender_1.jpg
CNEMO.jpg
image.jpg
20150711174812735.jpg
96.jpg
95.jpg
94.jpg
35.jpg
33.jpg
32.jpg
31.jpg
30.jpg

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I just updated the titled to this thread. Those of you that played it this past weekend @ RePlayFx please share your thoughts, pics, & videos here please.

Great idea...very excited that some Alien news coming out today as well!!!.....mark

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Great idea...very excited that some Alien news coming out today as well!!!.....mark

Great! When & where will this news be posted?

#153 3 years ago

How was Andrews talk?

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Great! When & where will this news be posted?

Think he said they would post video on their site...I'll start searching now....

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Think he said they would post video on their site...I'll start searching now....

Andrew said he'd post the vid at a later date. But I think he said he'd post an Alien shot map today.

#156 3 years ago

I played both machines (badly). It's a very loop-happy game, with many shots sending the ball right back to the flipper, and in a hurry. Really keeps you on your toes. One of the things that really grabbed me about the game was the sound and music quality. It was much better than what I'm used to hearing out of a modern Stern. This will be an even more important feature for Alien.

Overall feel was solid, no noodle flippers or sloppy slingshots here.

#157 3 years ago

i Played it a lot. we had a bunch of good games on it. it's all right. I like it. What worries me, is that it crashes from time to time. But i'm sure they will have those problems resolved before shipping.

#158 3 years ago

Played a couple games on it, not my cup of tea really. Seems well made, I really like the combination glass/siderails and the whole design of the system, just wasn't too hot on the game. Maybe more plays would open it up, but the theme I cannot get behind.
I love that there is another manufacturer though, on a serious level it seems.

#159 3 years ago

I played it a bunch at Replay FX. I thought it was great! First time seeing it in person. I really like the inner orbit thingy on the right side of the playfield that feeds the left outlane orbit. If you weren't quick the ball would roll right off the left flipper. I experienced a bunch of air balls and got 3 balls stuck in a row on Saturday night. I can tell you that there was almost always somebody playing it. The music was great so we cranked it way up while playing some Tommy dollars. Covering the flippers makes it even more fun!

The backlit side art is an idea that should have been implemented years ago. I liked the playfield rails but don't like having to hold the apron to lower the playfield back into the cabinet. It's pretty heavy so if you didn't have a good grip I can see some four-letter words in your future. I mentioned this to the guy with the games (not Andrew & I didn't get his name) that a pop up handle or even a bit of nylon covered wire or something on the end of the PF would be helpful. The lock down bar would cover it. I attached 2 under playfield pics if you're curious.

It seemed like I kept getting multiballs but not the lock three balls multiball more like a challenge or something. Whatevs. It was cool and I'd own one.

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I just updated the titled to this thread. Those of you that played it this past weekend @ RePlayFx please share your thoughts, pics, & videos here please.

I was able to get two games on it before a line started to form. I like the engine rev skill shot. The table was smooth and the ramps are fun to hit. The sound effects nice but I was really focused on keeping the ball in play. The LCD screen is a plus when I was trapping the ball or waiting for it to come back as I could keep my focus on the playfield. Overall I enjoyed the game and I hope to be able to play it again soon.

#161 3 years ago

Played it at ReplayFX and it was a fast game. Well made, looks great. Nice talking to Andrew. Liked the engine revving at ball launch. There was always someone playing them all weekend. I thought the side art looked great lit up, and liked the screen in the pf.

#162 3 years ago

Got to play it as well. Seemed very well built. Andrew was nice enough to open up a game and show me how easy it is to service everything.

Game was fast, the screen in the playfield is a huge plus, not always looking up.

Game played fast, and enjoyed it. But didn't like the theme. Here's hoping the next title is even better.

#163 3 years ago

Played it few times. Reminded me of No Fear a bit. Game was really fast but there was a lot if air balls. One air Baal wound up stuck in top of a plastic do we had to take the glass off to get it. Andrew has already advised that a fix is in place for the air ball issue.

Overall I liked the game play, sound and look of the game.

#164 3 years ago

Thank you for all the reviews! Several of you have mentioned the "feel" of the pin. Does it feel like a Bally/Williams? Or a little lighter like a Stern? Just curious if some you could elaborate on the "feel"?
Thanks,
Zamp

#165 3 years ago

I thought Full Throttle played great. There were some airballs mostly caused by the spinning wheels (that seemed to me to be the primary cause) that were set a little lower than the playfield and would launch the ball. These are adjustable height-wise from under the playfield so that likely won't be an issue moving forward. Flippers felt great and the play is high-flow and very fast. Add-a-balls are common it seems by completing a certain number of shots per mode (or race, or event). Lighting and sound were very good and reliability seemed good too (they were played hard the entire show). The Red Mist mode is really great. Thumbs up from this reviewer.

#166 3 years ago

I only managed to get in one short game, so I can't say much on gameplay. The machine sure seemed like it was built solid. Everything on the playfield looked professional. The backbox was more 'the pin' like than I was expecting, but the base cabinet looked great. I really liked the skill shot and the main shots were smooth. As for the feel, it's hard to describe, but I think it had that distinctly euro feel. Similar to some of the Spanish games I have played, but more fine tuned and fast.

#167 3 years ago

I'm jealous that you guys have gotten to play this and I haven't!

#168 3 years ago

A couple of pros playing Full Throttle @ Replay Fx!

#169 3 years ago

I played two games on it at replay. I thought it was a fun layout with some good flow. The screen On the playfield looked great. As someone else mentioned I thought the machine sounded great too. Nice and loud and good audio package. I look forward to playing it again.

#170 3 years ago

I got 10+ games at ReplayFX. My very first game I almost got to the wizard mode (I think) and then the left flipper button flew out of the cabinet! I gave it to the Heighway guy on hand and he said, "Yes, we will fix zis". I think he was French.

Overall, I really liked it. Pictures don't really capture the widebody quality of it. If I could suggest one improvement it would be that the flippers should be angled a little flatter to force more on the fly shots. It's a super fast game but also very trappable.

It's got an undeniably "British" element that I really like. It doesn't feel like a STERN or WMS, it has it's own character. Additionally, it doesn't feel "amateur" at all, like Demoman on Steroids, for example. It feels like a professionally built game from the ground up. Rules, lights, shots all feel "right".

Another departure from games of today is while there's some rule depth, I never felt like I didn't know what to shoot next. The game does a better job than most in conveying what you're supposed to do. I chatted with Brian Dominy, the programmer and he confirmed this was a priority on their list and they spent a year ensuring the game was accessible.

I talked with Andrew and he was great.

Regarding the theme, you don't have to be a fan to get into the game, though the theme is very well integrated with lots of "revving up" and engine sounds. If you like games like Getaway you'll get into it. The voice acting is superb and clear.

It's got a few bugs here and there but I'm not worried. Brian Dominy is a long-time tournament player and I'm sure they'll get sorted out.

Overall, I really really like it. If a distributor is available in the Bay Area I might take the plunge if the cash turns up.

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Played it few times. Reminded me of No Fear a bit. Game was really fast but there was a lot if air balls. One air Baal wound up stuck in top of a plastic do we had to take the glass off to get it. Andrew has already advised that a fix is in place for the air ball issue.
Overall I liked the game play, sound and look of the game.

Air ball on left plastic? Been going on since we played it a year ago. Ended up walking off because it happened 3 times on the trot and was only one player. My idea back then was to have a stack of rubber racing tires so it could bounce back and look cool at the same time.

I'm glad to hear it's fast though, not into too much stop/start pinball and easy balls.

#172 3 years ago

@drinkduffbeers:

thanks for cue-play

Andrew had solved

hope, soon playing an FullThrottle on route

3 weeks later
#173 3 years ago

Bumping after Frolics party

#174 3 years ago

I played it - it appeared to be a very well built machine and has some really nice features. I not crazy about the gameplay, but I think it might be one of those creeper machines that would grow on me though. It's a quality machine and Andrew is a solid guy. I will consider grabbing Pred. when it's out!

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I will consider grabbing Pred. when it's out!

I think you meant Alien.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I think you meant Alien

Just in case he's not joking, we and a few others **might** have a Pred spot for sale
Just kidding.

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I think you meant Alien.

Yeah - it was late when I posted this... Doh! Hey Maybe he'll buy the rights to pred too?

1 month later
#178 3 years ago

Any new reviews from this years Expo?

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Any new reviews from this years Expo?

Well I can give a review of my experience playing Full Throttle at EXPO. Last year I played the game and enjoyed it but it seemed a bit rough around the edges. This year the game has matured and is very fun and sleek playing. There have been changes in gameplay and I was able to play 3 variations of Full Throttle - without LCD in the backbox, with the small lcd in the backbox and with the HUGE lcd in the backbox.

I spent a few minutes with Andrew and he is always quite approachable and helpful. You can tell he takes pride in this company and is not secretive about his product. For the most part ask him a question and he tells you the answer if its not a trade secret. His engineers were on hand to explain and answer questions and they were both really nice to chat with. I was quite surprised to see the new options and that he chose a USA distributor.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that we had a very fun time at his party on Thursday night and he was quite the host making sure everyone had a good time and played the games that he had delivered from across the street. Cheers Andrew. Now back to the game.

When you start the game you try for a skillshot by revving the motor with the flipper. This gets the adrenaline going as your bike races off toward its course. There is a recent video that explains gameplay so I'll give my impressions.

The gameplay is smooth and the rock soundtrack by Red line complements the action and bike racing. I quite enjoyed the theme of racing against other countries and in 5 challenges. Valentino taunts you on your way during the races, but he was a bit tipsey perhaps from the party the night before so he couldn't very well watch the ball as he was supposed to be doing. One of the machines was entirely missing Valentino so perhaps he got wasted at the party and had to sleep it off

Anyway, the races are fun and cartoony graphics of gameplay are a perfect blend for this colorful action packed game. The center playfield lcd is nicely aligned for the player and everything you need to know is available at all times. No need to look up and you can concentrate on the gameplay. I quite enjoyed it. There are interesting twists and turns and very fun ramps as you glide through the game. The best shot is of course the left loop roundabout by the left flipper. Watch out that is FAST!

The lit artwork panels on the side of the game add a nice glow without being too bright and the RGB lamps everywhere give the programmers and artists a huge creative pallete to work with. The modular aspect of the game is genius. It looked well built, sturdy and functional. The backbox takes some getting used to with its thinner design, but in a row of games it looked fine.

The display options:
1) without LCD in the backbox:
I think if a budget was a consideration and I was playing this in my gameroom without care for spectators this would be the option I would pick. The center display in the playfield is plenty of information and the second LCD would be unnecessary.
2) with the small lcd in the backbox:
If the game is to be routed or in a gameroom with other games and spectators this would be a good option. The second screen mirrors the playfield screen and gives the spectators the information that you are seeing on the playfield.
3) with the HUGE lcd in the backbox:
wow, this one took me by surprise. I probably enjoyed playing this option the most, but I wouldn't select it for my gameroom. I really prefer the artwork in the backbox and although they added some outlining of the large monitor and some additional decoration so as to hide it when the game is off, I still prefer the translite. With that said, it is a very nice option for a large gathering or league as the sharp clear cartoony graphics are really nice on this monitor.

Looking forward to playing the game again!

#180 3 years ago

I played 3 or 4 games on two of the FT pins at Expo. Both the large and small display machines. IMO: They played fast, seemed to have good flow and my absolute favorite thing about them was the screaming bike engines that came with the skill shot. The quality of the build and components looked as good or better than current Sterns to me. The theme did not grab me nor did the gameplay. But maybe a few more plays on them for me to fully grasp the rules, etc could change my opinion. It looks like it can be quite successful to the right client(s) and locations. I'm really looking forward to Alien which would fall more into my preferred theme of a game.

I believe Heighway is here to stay and quite possibly help breed better new pins by bringing more solid competition into the game of pin building.

~Steveo

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

I believe Heighway is here to stay and quite possibly help breed better new pins by bringing more solid competition into the game of pin building.

I definitely get this feeling. They're the newest serious full-fledged entrant to the industry. I'm curious to see how quickly they can get production to their goal of three annual releases. I think the modular 3-minute playfield swap will create an interesting market of pinheads trading playfields. I'm really excited for it to be honest.

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The best shot is of course the left loop roundabout by the left flipper. Watch out that is FAST!

So true. I played it for the first time myself at Expo, and that shot is addictive.

#183 3 years ago

Big screen option is $550.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
South Portland, ME
$ 279.95
$ 28.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 14.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
$ 208.87
There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside