20180416_201854[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_201745[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_182609[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_182955[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_184113[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20180215_201309 (resized).jpg
stlink (resized).jpg
6830aa19762c2835ceb09d63ed5facc6a6a3e09d (resized).jpg

There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You could also have achieved that by shifting the pins 1 row in the connector because every second is GND.

Even though what you’re saying about the ground row is above my knowledge bank, it would seem that when the plug is on the bottom the relative pins switch (how would pin 1 get its data if we shifted the wires over one?). However I don’t think what you’re saying jives with our results either, as we did slide the cable one pin over in an early attempt to get it working, which I believe would place wire 13 to pin 14.

Quoted from lucky1:

On the output to the RGB panels or on the input ?

This would be the input to the PIN2DMD board. It was this plug that came both upside down and 14 shorted with 2.

Quoted from lucky1:

That is exactly what the cable shipped with the first kit does.

Though I could be wrong, I’m not so sure about your use of the word exactly. It certainly didn’t work as it was shipped.

#252 6 years ago

The actual batch doesn't have these issues anymore.
Indeed there were a lot of troubles with orders, hardware etc. no doubt about that. I don't want to talk around that, it's a known issue with me as a seller.

I'm actually shipping the open orders in the numbering they arrived.

@berty: yours is also shipping this week.

-Dom

#253 6 years ago

...and to clarify:
I am also unhappy with the situation in the past, i didn't want to let people wait so long.

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

Though I could be wrong, I’m not so sure about your use of the word exactly. It certainly didn’t work as it was shipped.

On the dmd controller side you connect red to pin 1

2 4 6 8 10 12 14 < all GND
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 < signal pins

To fix the problem of the very first version of the XL controller (which I have in my Batman FE) we moved the ribbon cable one left which made
original pin2 connect to pin1 and pin3 to GND.
That is exactly the same like you do by swapping every wire pair. Pin2 goes to pin1 and pin1 goes to pin2 (GND).
Of course that only works because every second pin is connected to the same signal (GND)

But AFAIK it is all fixed in the revised version of the pcbs.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

On the dmd controller side you connect red to pin 1
2 4 6 8 10 12 14 < all GND
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 < signal pins
To fix the problem of the very first version of the XL controller (which I have in my Batman FE) we moved the ribbon cable one left which made
original pin2 connect to pin1 and pin3 to GND.
That is exactly the same like you do by swapping every wire pair. Pin2 goes to pin1 and pin1 goes to pin2 (GND).
Of course that only works because every second pin is connected to the same signal (GND)
But AFAIK it is all fixed in the revised version of the pcbs.

I am only speaking to my board, and potentially Pintucky’s board. I have no knowledge of future runs, but I believe from what I’ve read Dom is on top of it for the boards after my run.

Dom seems to me to be a good guy, and issues complicated his delivery. He supported his product fine for me, and I appreciate his help in doing so - Baywatch lives.

I honestly just didn’t want you to think that Pintucky or Crash hadn’t tried the cable as supplied. In past posts they were clear on what they had tried. I am only trying to help get his MSF operational. I posted in an attempt to clarify Crash’s comment.

That said, I will try to delve into your information, and see if indeed your info would have worked for my board. We outlined perhaps 3 ways to fix the ‘plug on the bottom’ issue, yours would possibly constitute a 4th option. This stuff is above my pay grade, but I’ll try to better understand the principles of cabling for my own knowledge.

Again, my board is fully operational. I am hopeful to soon hear good news from Pintucky.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Do I understand right ? Pintucky's board is working now and the problem was that you did not use the custom ribbon cable which was shipped with the kit because you lost i

Absolutely not! The board has never worked and is not working now. Nor, have we never lost anything. But I AM losing my patience!

We have been fighting this issue since January, I believe. I'm still awaiting a replacement board that Dom promised would be delivered here in two weeks. Tomorrow makes 3 weeks and still no board. It is our intentions, once the replacement board arrives, to put it in and hook everything up exactly the way the instructions call for, which is what we did the first time. If THAT doesn't fix the problem, we will then put the cable on that CaryCarmichael so graciously made for me for free. I want to do it this way to indeed see if the board was the problem.

I received that cable made by CaryCarmichael but have not put it on yet for the above reason, plus . . . I'm incompetent! I'm not good with the electronics part of fixing pins and Crash has a nervous breakdown if I say I'm going to TRY to fix something! Ha. Crash lives nearly 100 miles away from me and he is very kind, coming here 3 or 4 times a year to work on my pins out of the goodness of his heart!

Once that board gets here, he will make the drive. The board is holding up everything. I figured with this thing coming from Germany that 2 weeks was maybe a bit too optimistic, and it would be more like 3 weeks. Well, that time has come and still no board. What is REALLY worrying me is, Dom has not confirmed he has sent it nor given me a tracking number. I sincerely hope it is still not sitting in Germany!

Thanks Lucky1 for your continued interest.
Mike in Kentucky

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

I honestly just didn’t want you to think that Pintucky or Crash hadn’t tried the cable as supplied. In past posts they were clear on what they had tried. I am only trying to help get his MSF operational. I posted in an attempt to clarify Crash’s comment.

I really, really appreciate the support you have given me and Crash in this 'project'! You see, and can comprehend our problem, while 'others' don't seem to be able to do so.

Thanks,
Mike

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Thanks Lucky1 for your continued interest.
Mike in Kentucky

Remember all will be good in the end and if it is not good it is not the end

Could you make a closeup picture of your controller board ? Maybe I can guide you through the process
of connecting the custom ribbon cable.

All further communication through PM. Message sent !

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Remember all will be good in the end and if it is not good it is not the end
Could you make a closeup picture of your controller board ? Maybe I can guide you through the process
of connecting the custom ribbon cable.
All further communication through PM. Message sent !

Dominic/Joerg, check your PMs. And Dominic I also sent you an email, in case you don't bother to check your PMs as you tend to do.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Dominic/Joerg, check your PMs. And Dominic I also sent you an email, I case you don't bother to check your PMs as you tend to do.

Ohhh, so maybe that is the root of the problem ! I also received no answer to the PMs I sent to Pintucky a few days ago !!
Two person involved which don´t check PMs regularly ! Not the best chemistry for a good communication

I just checked my PMs and answered your messages.

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Ohhh, so maybe that is the root of the problem ! I also received no answer to the PMs I sent to Pintucky a few days ago !!
Two person involved which don´t check PMs regularly ! Not the best chemistry for a good communication
I just checked my PMs and answered your messages.

I move the discussion to PM as you requested yet you bring the conversation BACK to a public thread? Ok, fair is fair. I explained to you in the PM why Mike has not responded as of yet, he is currently very busy with his business. As for us "publicly bashing" Dom, that's a bit immature. You don't take hundreds of dollars of peoples' money, deliver a product that doesn't work, and fail to communicate to resolve the issue. Furthermore, you also don't claim a repair shipment was rejected from Germany to Kentucky, but claim it was successfully sent to South Carolina, and and fail to provide a tracking number after being asked proving any of that. That's just poor business that deserves fair criticism.

I'm officially done with this and am leaving the thread. We are going to get this display working and move on.

#262 6 years ago

It is still not clear wether the display is defective or if there is another problem.
That is why I offered you and Pintucky two options.

1) My help with the installation or
2) to send the display to address in the US for further investigation and repair if necessary.

Now you refuse both of that !!??

I can only come to the conclusion that you just don´t want to become a satisfied pin2dmd user and have a working Sega display for what ever reason.

Maybe option 3 is what you want ?
Send your display to South Carolina and you will get a full refund !
PM with the address sent !

#263 6 years ago

Just for the record ! The second pin2dmd XL user referred to as having received a defective pin2dmd controller just found out that in fact he has a defective Sega DMD controller. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info/page/5#post-4057252

3 weeks later
#264 6 years ago

Does anyone know what's become of Dominic? I ordered my display back in September. About a month or so ago, I was told that it would
be shipping soon. Nothing has happened since. To make matters worse, it appears he has stopped responding to PMs. At this stage I just want to know if
I will be getting the display or not. If not, simply return the money. What's the problem?

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from maur:

Does anyone know what's become of Dominic? I ordered my display back in September. About a month or so ago, I was told that it would
be shipping soon. Nothing has happened since. To make matters worse, it appears he has stopped responding to PMs. At this stage I just want to know if
I will be getting the display or not. If not, simply return the money. What's the problem?

I was under the impression they didn’t have any displays available even when they said they were in stock in the last few months. It does look like he has been logged on to PinSide as of today though.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from maur:

Time for action it seems as he mentions below if you're not satisfied.

Quoted from Rappelbox:

You have always the option to cancel an order, and since all my overseas orders are handled through paypal, it's secured that you get refunded if you're not satisfied.

#267 6 years ago

Orders are being processed again... there has been some delay due to shortage from supplier and a longer processing time from me.

If you are concerned about not receiving your paid item, I can only repeat that i only accept paypal for overseas payments to avoid doubts about losing money.

Kind regards,
Dom

#268 6 years ago

I have just received word from Dominic that my order has shipped!!

#269 6 years ago

Freshly arrived and being prepared for assembly and shipping...

04AD43EB-2F33-45BD-A760-9CE52F6A4F34 (resized).jpeg04AD43EB-2F33-45BD-A760-9CE52F6A4F34 (resized).jpeg

66AE2B49-F9EE-4EC1-8B3A-6F48BDC71083 (resized).jpeg66AE2B49-F9EE-4EC1-8B3A-6F48BDC71083 (resized).jpeg

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Freshly arrived and being prepared for assembly and shipping...

Looks good, I hope one of these is mine! (regular size that is, looks like both in the photo)

I'm not worried about getting the refund, it's just that I REALLY want the product! I'd rather not source the parts myself, I'm happy to pay for the service.

#271 6 years ago

I made a installation video that shows how I replace the original plasma dmd with a pin2dmd XL

The only part missing in the video is connecting the power cables to the wires coming from the power switch in the cabinet using two quick splice wire connectors as shown on the attached image

6830aa19762c2835ceb09d63ed5facc6a6a3e09d (resized).jpg6830aa19762c2835ceb09d63ed5facc6a6a3e09d (resized).jpg

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Orders are being processed again... there has been some delay due to shortage from supplier and a longer processing time from me.
If you are concerned about not receiving your paid item, I can only repeat that i only accept paypal for overseas payments to avoid doubts about losing money.
Kind regards,
Dom

Hi Dom. Any updates on my order?

#273 6 years ago

Yes, good ones! Check your mail

1 week later
#274 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Yes, good ones! Check your mail

Any updates on my order for a regular sized DMD? Its been two months since I paypaled and you've not responded to PMs or emails to your germangamingsupplies address.

it looks like the parts came in so just at least let me know you're building it.

It'd be nice Christmas present to myself

#275 6 years ago

I'm sorry to use the thread this way, but it appears to be the only way to communicate with Dominic since he is not responding to PMs or email.
Back on December 4 you sent an email indicating that the my order #2017091301-001 was shipped by DHL World. Unfortunately you failed to include a
tracking number.

Can you send me the tracking number so I can trace the package.

Maurizio

#276 6 years ago

All open orders are being processed or already have been within the last days.
maur I’ll check your tracking number and send it to you today.

I have already ordered new panels and controllers.

Baywatch and Batman Forever may be also finished until end of the year.

#277 6 years ago

We are close to 100 Pin2dmd-xl now worldwide

The devices are used by both professionals and hobbyists all over the world...
Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Great Britain, Spain, France, America, Canada etc.

With the new option to update via microSD card the system gets even more convenient.
The color picker and configuration tool makes easy to change colors even for non-tekkies. No hassling with hex values or Text files.

Colorization for all 4 titles are in the works!!!

1 month later
#278 6 years ago

Having issues (likely user issues) on upgrading firmware. Was starting to derail the Baywatch thread so I thought I would come here. Can someone please confirm that I am hooking this up correctly? I am getting no devices connected. Tried 2 cords and 2 computers. Software and drivers installed correctly (I think) used Pin2DMD website.

stlink (resized).jpgstlink (resized).jpg

#280 6 years ago

You can also get them fro 2.50$ from ebay but shipped from china. You then need to make a connection to the 4 pin header.
You only need to do this once. After the upgrade to version 2.50 and above you can upgrade through microSD

#281 6 years ago

All good products require external programming devices just to update firmware

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

All good products require external programming devices just to update firmware

That is why we added convenient SD card update to the firmware later. We did not plan to add frame by frame coloring when we started pin2dmd-XL to be honest and the firmware installed on that device is running without any issues.

russdx At least pin2dmd gets new features through firmware updates not like your pindmd3 where users throw away your controller and replace it by pin2dmd.

#283 6 years ago

pinDMD3 does exactly what it was developed for very well (from day 1).

Sales are very good so it must be doing something right.

Pretty much all of your features are technically illegal thats why you only see you adding them!!!

#284 6 years ago

Thank you all for the quick responses! Ordered.

John

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

pinDMD3 does exactly what it was developed for very well (from day 1).
Sales are very good so it must be doing something right.
Pretty much all of your features are technically illegal thats why you only see you adding them!!!

Does it though? I guess that depends on what it was developed to do versus what people (Me at least) thought it would do. As a pre-orderer of it I was left with the impression it would play coloured rom's. In my naivety I assumed anyones coloured rom's would work with it. Those expectations certainly aren't pinDMD's fault I admit, I had no appreciation or understanding of the differences between ColorDMD, PIN2DMD or PINDMD (There is another one too I'm forgetting). So that is on me entirely for not reading more before purchasing.

If not for the efforts of freezy the pinDMD3 would not have met my expectations as a product, he brought life to it allowing it to play a wide selection of the colouring efforts of others and even still it doesn't play them all, that was the main reason for my switch to a PIN2DMD. You had also written about developing a colouring tool that would be easier to use than the PIN2DMD's tool... that didn't come. Overall I'm really happy with the pinDMD3's build quality, it is impressive to get all that functionality down to such a small footprint and have it be as plug-and-play as it can get. I did not throw mine away, so lucky1 was off on that barb from my perspective I would still throw them all away for a ColorDMD solution for virtual pinball, though I must be the only one who wants that as I'm the only one rattling on about it!

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I did not throw mine away, so lucky1 was off on that barb from my perspective

I did also not throw away my pindmd2 also. Who knows what it is good for some day ?

#287 6 years ago

Thanks all for the help on the firmware update. I got it updated and loaded the files but the colors seem to be off. Any thoughts?

IMG_20180215_201309 (resized).jpgIMG_20180215_201309 (resized).jpg

#288 6 years ago

Reset it by holding the 2 buttons on the back...... maybe?

#289 6 years ago

Tried that, should have mentioned before.

#290 6 years ago

Reset and hold one button during boot gets you into the onscreen menu. Set the RGB sequence that the second color from the left is red and the second to last color on the right is yellow. Save settings and test again.

#291 6 years ago

You got it! Color palette was off.

Thank you!

John

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

You got it! Color palette was off.
Thank you!
John

Great ! Could you make a video ?

1 week later
#293 6 years ago

Rappelbox - Hi Dom, sent you a message via email and FB messenger. Can you please respond.

1 month later
#294 5 years ago

I'm having trouble hooking up my power supply of the Pin2DMD XL. My meter says I'm getting 12V where I connected the N and L cables. Green light does not light up...How much voltage do I need to get this working?
Thanks

#295 5 years ago

You need to connect N and L to the mains power directly after the power switch of your pinball machine. The powersupply should run from 110V up to 240V

1 week later
#296 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Thanks all for the help on the firmware update. I got it updated and loaded the files but the colors seem to be off. Any thoughts?

how did you solve your missing line display problem in the middle of the Pin2DMD-XL of your Baywatch pinball machine.
because I have the same problem on my pin2DMD-XL

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from grandDD:

how did you solve your missing line display problem in the middle of the Pin2DMD-XL of your Baywatch pinball machine.
because I have the same problem on my pin2DMD-XL

From your activation key I can see that you are running the wrong firmware. You need to install the XL firmware.
The missing lines on the picture are from the refresh rate and not there in real life.

#298 5 years ago

thank you lucky1 for your answer, or I can find the firmware XL

#299 5 years ago

I have a problem with my pin2DMD XL image remains frozen on pin2DMDXL sega 192x64.
I flashed the version 2.54pin2DMD XL.bin
I tried the custom version, but the DMD does not display anything and does not turn on.
the .pal color file and been made by color prism.
I flashed using this:

Use the .bin file with the ST-Link Utility to upload the firmware to your device using the ST-Link interface http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF258168

I have to use that too, if so I do not understand how to do it.

Use the .dfu file with the DfuSEDemo Utility to upload the firmware to your device using the USB port in dfu mode. http://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32080.html

here is a picture of myself that I have on my SD card
and another of the image I have on the pinball display
thank you for your help, because the configuration for me is complicated to install

20180416_184113[1] (resized).jpg20180416_184113[1] (resized).jpg

20180416_182955[1] (resized).jpg20180416_182955[1] (resized).jpg

20180416_182609[1] (resized).jpg20180416_182609[1] (resized).jpg

#300 5 years ago

First of all you don´t need to rename the keyfile to pin2dmd.key. Put the file with the original name on the SD card and remove the other files.
Go into the onscreen menu by holding down the menu button during power up. Reset the settings to default and then set the RGB sequence that the second color from the left is red and the second to last color on the right is yellow. Save settings and test again.If it still does not work it is most likely caused by wrong cabeling of the ribbon cables. Please try to turn the connector 180 degrees or make some pictures of the cabling.

There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.