20180416_201854[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_201745[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_182609[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_182955[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_184113[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20180215_201309 (resized).jpg
stlink (resized).jpg
6830aa19762c2835ceb09d63ed5facc6a6a3e09d (resized).jpg
There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 6 years ago

What is exactly the issue with your board? Please explain in detail so that I can help you.

#202 6 years ago

This is referring to a 5 month old post I made, but I am not seeing the game's DMD image on the prebuilt display. I only see the "Colorprism Sega 192x64" splash screen. I have checked ribbon cable orientation to the PIN2DMD and even tried a new ribbon cable that tests good. I am diagnosing this for Mike (Pintucky), who bought it probably about 6 months ago. I apologize for the huge gap in posts as he lives out of state.

The previous troubleshooting step you suggested was to attach a 128x32 DMD to the Sega DMD driver board, and I confirmed this works. So it seems there may be something wrong with the LED display adapter board in your product.

IMG_1342 (resized).JPGIMG_1342 (resized).JPG
IMG_1340 (resized).JPGIMG_1340 (resized).JPG
IMG_1341 (resized).JPGIMG_1341 (resized).JPG

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looks fantastic, but I see a couple of small errors. Sonic's arms and gloves aren't a consistent color, and there are a few orange pixels outside of the first B on the right side of the letter.
Also, sorry if I missed a response to this but will you be doing Frankenstein soon?

I dont have a recording of frankenstein but its an option for me to color once Im done what Im working on now.
So RE:Sonics arms -
His arms and gloves are based on a palette change and I dont have any more colors left to mask off the gloves or arms in grey, unless I make the surfboard blue or red, considering the scene and how unimportant it is (attract mode vs game play scene) I decided to leave it as is. When the files are released to the public feel free to make any changes you like.
sonicsurf.PNGsonicsurf.PNG
The 3rd color in each set matches up with sonic's belly and glove shading. I could do this frame as a redraw which would give me more flexibilityand if Rappel or Lucky want it done that way I can. The other thing I could do would be to make the surfboard grey.

RE: Baywatch extra colored pixels-
Thanks! I didnt see this when I was working on it so the sequence has been fixed and uploaded to lucky & rappel
Intro.PNGIntro.PNG
(single frame capture)

#204 6 years ago

Crash I'm going to capture franky in the next few days.
Regarding the issue with your dmd I sent you a pm.

Generally, a capture of all dmd games is possible, but I tend to NOT release them publicly anymore due to several reason I don't want to discuss here in this thread.

Malenko I can send you my redraw of the surfing sonic

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

malenko I can send you my redraw of the surfing sonic

You can just redraw it if you want on my files :p
It would only take a second but I was trying to do the WHOLE game with just masks

#206 6 years ago

Can anyone snap me a pic of where the best place is to mount the PS for the dmd? Game is baywatch.

#207 6 years ago

Sorry, I don't have a picture, but bottom right side of the blackbox is a good place.
You can als fix it in place with self adhesive velcro tape or similar.

#208 6 years ago

Will. Do. Easy install, looks great.

#209 6 years ago

Anyone on the fence about ordering one of these, don't hesitate. Super easy install, maybe 10-15 mins. Looks way better than the original with stock color palette. And I think we've all seen how epic it will look when the color file is released. Dom is easy to work with and the instructions provided were great and easy to understand. It arrived quickly after being shipped.

#210 6 years ago

Rappelbox - Any updates on when my order will ship?

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Berty:

Rappelbox - Any updates on when my order will ship?

Shipped

----------------------------------------------------
Update:
Currently testing colorization for Baywatch.
Updates, pictures and Video will follow this week.
----------------------------------------------------

#212 6 years ago

Initial test on real machine... this video is already 5 smaller updates behind.
We fixed alot of scenes which were wrong and therefore not shown in the video!!!

1 week later
#213 6 years ago

Dom . . .

A couple of us have had problems and have PM'd you and put messages on the Mary Shelly Frankenstein thread.

We haven't heard from you in days. Are you on vacation? Sick? We would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Dom . . .
A couple of us have had problems and have PM'd you and put messages on the Mary Shelly Frankenstein thread.
We haven't heard from you in days. Are you on vacation? Sick? We would love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

No I think he is busy with other tasks like the 128x16 controller pcbs for data east . There are a minimum of 50 threads in at least 10 different forums all about pin2dmd, we would have to check several times a day to keep up. That is not the easiest task if you also have family and a real life job. I think he will answer whenever he comes by the next time.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

No I think he is busy with other tasks like the 128x16 controller pcbs for data east . There are a minimum of 50 threads in at least 10 different forums all about pin2dmd, we would have to check several times a day to keep up. That is not the easiest task if you also have family and a real life job. I think he will answer whenever he comes by the next time.

Thank you for helping out again!!!

I sent out some PMs already

To make things more clear for me and you i suggest to mail me directly about issues!

Like lucky1 said, it's often hard to check all forums, threads etc. It's time consuming very much and i often tend to overlook some threads.
If you mail me directly i can handle these issues much faster and more reliably.
And if there are general issues that affects all boards I will for sure address them publicly so that all customers and people in general will benefit from solutions and suggestions.

Kind regards,
Dom

1 week later
#216 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Thank you for helping out again!!!
I sent out some PMs already
To make things more clear for me and you i suggest to mail me directly about issues!
Like lucky1 said, it's often hard to check all forums, threads etc. It's time consuming very much and i often tend to overlook some threads.
If you mail me directly i can handle these issues much faster and more reliably.
And if there are general issues that affects all boards I will for sure address them publicly so that all customers and people in general will benefit from solutions and suggestions.
Kind regards,
Dom

Hi Dom. I've been emailing you to get an update on the order that I placed and paid for in June. I'm posting here as I feel I have exhausted all options.

I've been requesting tracking numbers via email to both the German Gaming Supplies email address and your email address for the order that you said shipped a month ago.

I had also emailed you the activation key after making the donation as per Lucky1's instructions but not heard anything.

You originally stated that the order would ship in July. It's now been five months. Can you please refund my money so I can buy an alternative from elsewhere.

#217 6 years ago

Seems like customer service is pretty questionable. June?????

#218 6 years ago

I'm looking to purchase when Baywatch is complete but reading this concerns me , I'll be watching

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from Berty:

You originally stated that the order would ship in July. It's now been five months.

I have checked the entire rolodex of excuses why a company couldn't come through with a delivery in 5 months - the only one listed is catastrophic asteroid impact with Earth.

The funny thing is the store always says "in stock".
asteroid (resized).pngasteroid (resized).png

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I'm looking to purchase when Baywatch is complete but reading this concerns me , I'll be watching

The colouring files are potentially portable to other platforms, and you can theoretically assemble your own pin2DMD kits, but cases like this seem to continually happen with rappelbox ...

#221 6 years ago

So there's a remote possibility of seeing color files converted for use with the PinballSP DMDMK66 platform some day?

#222 6 years ago

Its just data as long as eitherside does not encrypt it in some way of course you can write a conversion script. But im almost sure pinballSP will try and encrypt so might be hard converting any colour files in that direction not that there will be any files from him any time soon.

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The colouring files are potentially portable to other platforms, and you can theoretically assemble your own pin2DMD kits, but cases like this seem to continually happen with rappelbox ...

Well that sucks....

#224 6 years ago

I ordered and paid for a display for my Maverick back in September. I have sent messages but there has been no response. I would appreciate some sort of communication. If the product is not available then I would like my money refunded. The silence is troubling.....

Does anyone know what is going on with this?

Is there a reputation that this seller has that maybe we should be aware of or is there some innocent explanation?

maur

#225 6 years ago

I ordered from him and received my product and am happy with it. Although it did take several months to receive and took longer than expected it is a good product.

#226 6 years ago

I received a message from Rappelbox last week that the chinese panel manufacturer changed the hardware design of the panels without notice. The effect is that the new panels don´t work at all with the current firmware. A sample panel is on the way to me to see what is going wrong. I don´t know if that is the reason for the delay, but could be. I´m sure rappelbox can give more information about the reason for the delay.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I received a message from Rappelbox last week that the chinese panel manufacturer changed the hardware design of the panels without notice. The effect is that the new panels don´t work at all with the current firmware. A sample panel is on the way to me to see what is going wrong. I don´t know if that is the reason for the delay, but could be. I´m sure rappelbox can give more information about the reason for the delay.

Wow ok, so he leaves his customers hanging in silence but gives YOU all the up to date information, why wasn't Dom the person to tell the customers as soon as he knew this would be an issue??

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Wow ok, so he leaves his customers hanging in silence but gives YOU all the up to date information, why wasn't Dom the person to tell the customers as soon as he knew this would be an issue??

I think the biggest issue is that he's repeatedly left some customers hanging for months on end, and completely ignored requests for product / refund, whilst he deals with and ships other refunds / orders promptly.

No idea if it's deliberate, or just very poor organisation, but it keeps happening, and has done for a while.

#229 6 years ago

I've mailed all involved people.
If you're not willing to wit any longer i can fully understand that and will refund immediately. If you have doubts about my honesty, mail me and/or open a paypal case and i'll refund you immediately.

As lucky1 already stated above, the new panels are a cause to the delay but not the only one.
Poor arganisation is also a reason.

Anyways, all open orders will be fullfilled (if panel issues are being solved) or refunded within the next days and after that i will decide what will happen next.

Kind regards,
Dom

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Of course not all. What would that be good for ? But the ones that are necessary for me, like the problem with the panels.

I admit that rappelbox has some weaknesses, but who has´t. Electronic communication is one of them.
So if you really are concerned about something my tip is to just give him a call.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

As lucky1 already stated above, the new panels are a cause to the delay but not the only one.

The least you could do is update your marketplace store and your website to reflect "out of stock", so people are buying these under false pretense.

#232 6 years ago

I am interested in one of these, but with the apparent lack of communication, I'm going to hold off. Someone gives you their money - you owe the information.

1 week later
#233 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Problem with the newest generation of bleeding free P2 panels is fixed in version 2.05. Back to normal ...

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Problem with the newest generation of bleeding free P2 panels is fixed in version 2.05. Back to normal ...

Good to hear , are they in stock and available for shipping?

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Good to hear , are they in stock and available for shipping?

Don´t know, but I think they need to be assembled now. Rappelbox wanted to see wether I can fix it or he needs to return the new panels.
You can check the availability here https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-XL-192x64-DMD-fuer-Sega

#236 6 years ago

Im actually assembling the ordered sets.
Once these are shipped and new panels are on the way you will be able to order again here in my pinside shop or at my homepage Link above from lucky1

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

and new panels are on the way you will be able to order again

why don't you make that "when I have assembled the new panels so they are in stock and ready to ship, you will be able to order again"?

#238 6 years ago

Furthermore, make sure you actually test everything before takes orders this time.

#239 6 years ago

It makes no differences if you order and wait until parts arrive or you wait until parts arrive and then order... but normally orders are sold out before they even arrive and I’m not willing to discuss that furthermore... sorry guys.

But in one point you’re right: things like display not working (new panel type) should not happen.

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

It makes no differences if you order and wait until parts arrive or you wait until parts arrive and then order.

Sure it makes a difference - the concept is called time. And when you say something is "in stock" and it's not - that's called lying. What don't you understand about this?

#241 6 years ago

Both my shops clearly indicate the correct state atm! Unfortunately at least the pinside shop doesn't give the option to mark an item as "open for order". That is the reason why both my items are now not on stock here.

Interestingly a lot of people only care little about long shipping times as long as they get their games working again!
And to repeadetly tell everybody:
You have always the option to cancel an order, and since all my overseas orders are handled through paypal, it's secured that you get refunded if you're not satisfied. And the true reason about that is that i do not accept payments through "friends and family" like other "professional sellers" do.

I also don't have the option to store a lot of these panels, since they are pricey and i started this small business out of unemployment and not with a big company or huge funds in the back!

As summary, I always try to improve the service and shipping times get shorter and shorter!!!

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Both my shops clearly indicate the correct state atm!

At the moment they do, but they haven't for a long, long period of time, and when they do indicate "in stock" or "available now" in the future, I expect there to be items in stock and available now, like any rational person would - anything else is false advertisment.

Quoted from Rappelbox:

Interestingly a lot of people only care little about long shipping times as long as they get their games working again!

I don't even know what the hell that means, but yes people care about long shipping times - in 5 months I could die, you could die, we could both die, the world could end for God's sake. You really don't think months and months and months is normal for anybody to ship a product they say is in stock, do you?

Quoted from Rappelbox:

I also don't have the option to store a lot of these panels,

If, as you say, you can't keep them on the shelf now, why are talking about storing them? Here's an idea - take orders without payment, then you know exactly how many you need to build, then take the money when you have the merchandise to ship. Then you can take all the time you want or bust your hump and get them done - you have incentive to work on them and nobody will bitch because you won't be sitting on their money - everybody wins.

Quoted from Rappelbox:

As summary, I always try to improve the service and shipping times get shorter and shorter!!!

We can only go by what your latest unsatisfied customer reported - 5 months.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

We can only go by what your latest unsatisfied customer reported - 5 months.

From a statistical side that is not very representative
From the numbers of activations I can see, that Rappelbox has sold several 100 devices (pin2dmd and XL).
Comparing the number of satisfied to unsatisfied customers I would say from a business perspective it is within a normal range.

These discussions are one of the reasons why I refuse to make a business out of pin2dmd. The expectations of private customers are sometimes so high and the level of stress it adds to your life is for me just not worth the money.

I don´t know rappelbox very well, but all I can say that to me he seems to be a honest guy who does his best.

Quoted from sudsy7:

I don't even know what the hell that means, but yes people care about long shipping times - in 5 months I could die, you could die, we could both die, the world could end for God's sake.

I don´t get the point here ? If you are afraid that somebody dies before you get your order, simply don´t order and honestly if somebody really dies who cares about the 400$ ?

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

From a statistical side that is not very representative

Well, if you want to bring statistics into this, then produce some. Where is your data? When can I expect to get something that is "in stock" that in reality hasn't even been built yet, and in fact doesn't even have the parts to build yet? Because he admits himself that is how he operates his business. What percentage of these hundreds you speak of are actually XLs? Do your activation records show that he delivers in X number of days or weeks or months from the date of sale. I know you are sticking up for a friend here, but honestly, his record speaks for itself. I have messages and inquiries I have sent to Rappelbox myself that have been ignored for weeks or months or never replied to at all, so I already know of his customer-responsiveness.

Quoted from lucky1:

I don´t get the point here ? If you are afraid that somebody dies before you get your order, simply don´t order and honestly if somebody really dies who cares about the 400$ ?

The point is it shouldn't take 5 months to get something. Is that difficult to understand? And if it does take that long for any reason, the customer should be informed of why it is taking longer than normal, instead of being ignored, and given a refund if he so desires. It doesn't count to offer a refund just because you were called out in a public forum and have to do it to save face.

These business practices are indefensible, and it appears he intends on continuing them. I care, that's why I'm typing. If you don't care, drain the topic or hide my posts.

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

What percentage of these hundreds you speak of are actually XLs?

About 50 XL devices activated minus a hand full of testing devices !

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

But in one point you’re right: things like display not working (new panel type) should not happen.

I'm not talking about the new panels, I mean the several reports of existing kits you have shipped and knowingly failed to test before doing so. The panels and boards in these kits are 100% compatible, the issue is stupid quality control problems with your 14 pin ribbon connector either being of the wrong type, soldered incorrectly in the circuit, or even being flipped to the other side of the board.

Since you still haven't responded to Mike (Pintucky) regarding his replacement board after 3 weeks, which he should've gotten last week, there is a guy who has offered to make a custom cable for buyers to fix these wiring issues. It works, but you're really hanging your customer base out to dry here.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

there is a guy who has offered to make a custom cable for buyers to fix these wiring issues. It works, but you're really hanging your customer base out to dry here.

Do I understand right ? Pintucky's board is working now and the problem was that you did not use the custom ribbon cable which was shipped with the kit because you lost it ?

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Do I understand right ? Pintucky's board is working now and the problem was that you did not use the custom ribbon cable which was shipped with the kit because you lost it ?

You misunderstood what he said.

My board came with 2 different problems, and Crash is relaying my experience and my offer to try to help out him and Pintucky.

The first problem with my board was that the plug on my run was manufactured on the wrong side of the board - this is unique of the run my board came from, and Pintucky’s did not have *this* issue. This resulted in me having to make a plug that flipped wires 1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc.

The second problem with my board was that Pins 2 & 13 were suppose to be shorted by design. Instead on my board pins 2 & 14 were shorted. Again, as the plug was upside down, wire 13 ultimately stayed wire 13.

So, since Pintucky has been waiting so long for a fix, I decided to make him a custom cable in case his board was manufactured with 2 & 14 shorted like mine. His board has the plug on the correct side, so it would seem that they don’t need to swap pins 1 & 2, etc, like I had. I am not at all certain if they have the same ultimate problem that I had, especially when you consider the apparent deviations from design and manufacturing inconsistencies that occurred on my run.

I will try to help Crash and Pintucky troubleshoot. So far they haven’t been able to test their current board with a DMM or try the cable I sent out. Really, the new board that they should have already received by now should be the first option to get it running, and my custom cable should only be a fall back.

I am going to attach the photos of what it took to get my board working. It was not myself alone that got this to work. With the info Dom sent, the photos of past boards found online, and 2 other locals’ help we were able to get the display working in my Baywatch.

C1E900E7-4A75-4C61-87D4-BBDA7E9D0951 (resized).jpegC1E900E7-4A75-4C61-87D4-BBDA7E9D0951 (resized).jpeg
412E924B-1686-40C6-8FBE-25D9879ACFDD (resized).jpeg412E924B-1686-40C6-8FBE-25D9879ACFDD (resized).jpeg
DAF9AD2C-DD3A-43F0-B7B7-BF3429B40D8D (resized).jpegDAF9AD2C-DD3A-43F0-B7B7-BF3429B40D8D (resized).jpeg
500F79AF-96A2-4F81-8DEB-7E1B8D6946EA (resized).jpeg500F79AF-96A2-4F81-8DEB-7E1B8D6946EA (resized).jpeg
29D1BF71-9BB7-4C95-8FF4-929B34CDC4AE (resized).jpeg29D1BF71-9BB7-4C95-8FF4-929B34CDC4AE (resized).jpeg
E4D86196-FBE6-4236-B794-5021FE77EC9E (resized).jpegE4D86196-FBE6-4236-B794-5021FE77EC9E (resized).jpeg
CF0CF030-93CE-4753-88DF-83595B5AA206 (resized).jpegCF0CF030-93CE-4753-88DF-83595B5AA206 (resized).jpeg
BA59B8DF-37E4-4827-8C42-552D34A32646 (resized).jpegBA59B8DF-37E4-4827-8C42-552D34A32646 (resized).jpeg

992B7C84-9995-4223-8B3D-3990373EDC6F (resized).jpeg992B7C84-9995-4223-8B3D-3990373EDC6F (resized).jpeg

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

The first problem with my board was that the plug on my run was manufactured on the wrong side of the board - this is unique of the run my board came from, and Pintucky’s did not have *this* issue. This resulted in me having to make a plug that flipped wires 1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc.

You could also have achieved that by shifting the pins 1 row in the connector because every second is GND. That is exactly what the cable shipped with the first kit does.

Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

The second problem with my board was that Pins 2 & 13 were suppose to be shorted by design. Instead on my board pins 2 & 14 were shorted. Again, as the plug was upside down, wire 13 ultimately stayed wire 13.

On the output to the RGB panels or on the input ?

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I've mailed all involved people.
If you're not willing to wit any longer i can fully understand that and will refund immediately. If you have doubts about my honesty, mail me and/or open a paypal case and i'll refund you immediately.
Anyways, all open orders will be fullfilled (if panel issues are being solved) or refunded within the next days and after that i will decide what will happen next.
Kind regards,
Dom

Rappelbox are there any updates to my order.

I have not heard back from you since you sent the email mentioned above.

There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.