20180416_201854[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_201745[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_182609[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_182955[1] (resized).jpg
20180416_184113[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20180215_201309 (resized).jpg
stlink (resized).jpg
6830aa19762c2835ceb09d63ed5facc6a6a3e09d (resized).jpg
There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#102 7 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Anyone put one in Baywatch yet? Video?

I'll make a video once mine arrives, ordered in mid december, hoping it will get shipped soon, cant wait.
Cheers

#103 7 years ago

Yeah, I posted a video. I need to take another with different pallete I installed. It's not like the typical color DMDs you see on other machines, but it's better than stock and gives us that all important extra option, which we never really had. I now also have a spare dmd, which is the weak point on this game, mechanically.

1 week later
#105 7 years ago

Hi guys, I haven't stayed on top of this topic.
Wondering if it's possible to now fit this to my Baywatch AND do the scene colorization, the type that I can capture / record the start and end frames of a video sequence and choose a palette I want... rather than the same 4 colors for the whole time?
Sorry if I am not using the right terminology, the last time I looked in to this that functionality only worked on the regular smaller size DMD's but there was some talk that it might be added for the 192X64 later.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Anyone put one in Baywatch yet? Video?

Rob did there's a video in the Baywatch club...

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Eurotimmy:

Hi guys, I haven't stayed on top of this topic.
Wondering if it's possible to now fit this to my Baywatch AND do the scene colorization, the type that I can capture / record the start and end frames of a video sequence and choose a palette I want... rather than the same 4 colors for the whole time?
Sorry if I am not using the right terminology, the last time I looked in to this that functionality only worked on the regular smaller size DMD's but there was some talk that it might be added for the 192X64 later.

Theoretically possible but would need a lot of work on the tools, firmware and last but not least from the user colorizing it. Since I own a BTF not impossible, but don´t ask me when I have time to do it. For now I´m really satisfied with the fact that I have a working display based on LED panels.

#108 7 years ago

It's here
Awesome product, more or less plug and play, very easy to install! Looks awesome, going to activate the software and play around with the color palettes tomorrow.

Cheers

IMG_1022 (resized).JPGIMG_1022 (resized).JPG

IMG_1028 (resized).JPGIMG_1028 (resized).JPG

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

It's here
Awesome product, more or less plug and play, very easy to install! Looks awesome, going to activate the software and play around with the color palettes tomorrow.
Cheers

Thanks !

Don´t forget to send the number on the display for activation.

#110 7 years ago

We're getting close to completing the 2nd run...

#111 7 years ago

Did a little video showing the display in my Baywatch:

Didn't find a color palette i like yet, having some trouble doing my own but i will get there
Until then i really like the monochrome look!
Cheers

#112 7 years ago

Has anyone had any luck with a great color pallete for baywatch?
thanks

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd?tq&tu=Crash#post-2283202

Just match the color codes in the config file. DMD Extender format is in hex.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

thanks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50518880/baywatch_BGR.zip

Problem is that the latest panels from china are BGR instead of RGB, so you currently have to swap the color values from blue and red. I will add this as a option in a future release

#116 7 years ago

This one looks awesome, by far the best one i tried until now!

(Colors look more vivid in person!)

Subtle but classy, realistic skintones, i like
Cheers

#117 7 years ago

Awesome color selection guys! thank you, I will post some pics once I settle on one

#118 7 years ago

Ben1981 very nice video, sadly there's always refresh flickering when taking videos but we all knoiw how it looks like in reality

lucky1 Thank you again for this awesome firmware which gives us all these opportunities.
Your endless effort of helping people, doing research and adding features is awesome!!!

Also, I'd like to mention that every single penny sent to him is still forwarded to charity.

BIG UPDATE!

Im very happy to announce that devices will very soon be available directly from the US!
I found a reliable partner, with lots of experience with pinballs and modding.
So this seems to be the next logical step.

No more hassle with customs, taxes etc.

Details will follow the next days, avaibillity and prices also.

Additionally, there are some small and one big improvement...

And last: I will continue using only PIN2DMD firmware since this is to date the only known working firmware for large RGB DMDs!

kind regards,
Dominik

3 weeks later
#119 7 years ago

Any news on this US distributor?

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Kazowi:

Any news on this US distributor?

And prices?

#121 7 years ago

I have to check on customs and taxes but shouldn't be far from actual prices!

#122 7 years ago

And the small and big improvement?

#123 7 years ago

Oh man... I am hoping the big improvement is the ability to capture and colorize frames!!
(I know I have high hopes about it, but one day I hope it's a reality)

#124 7 years ago

Sorry, I'm only going to tell when they are ready!
I made this mistake a few times before and a someone stole my ideas. This time I'm not going to tell.

Greetings,
Dom

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Eurotimmy:

Oh man... I am hoping the big improvement is the ability to capture and colorize frames!!
(I know I have high hopes about it, but one day I hope it's a reality)

No not now, but since I own a Batman Forever there is still hope that I find the time some day.

#126 7 years ago

I got the Sega 192x64 kit from Rappelbox and assembled it, as far as I know everything is connected properly. However, I can't get the display to recognize the input signal. The CPU board is talking to the DMD controller and the controller has been verified working by Coin-Op Cauldron. I also swapped the direction of the 14-pin ribbon cable. The display is pre-programmed from Rappelbox's kit and shows Sega 192x64 below the PIN2DMD logo.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I got the Sega 192x64 kit from Rappelbox and assembled it, as far as I know everything is connected properly. However, I can't get the display to recognize the input signal. The CPU board is talking to the DMD controller and the controller has been verified working by Coin-Op Cauldron. I also swapped the direction of the 14-pin ribbon cable. The display is pre-programmed from Rappelbox's kit and shows Sega 192x64 below the PIN2DMD logo.

You need to unlock it with a pin code. Basically, you send the pin2dmd guys $10 and they send you an unlock code. Dominic should be able to help you with it. Was there a 3 minute free preview when you first turned it on? The code gets saved to the sd card and it's automatically recognized.

#128 7 years ago

No there is no preview. The image doesn't show at all.

#129 7 years ago

Did you buy the pin2dmd XL controller only or the complete kit ?
In the complete Kit there is a custom ribbon cable which you need
for the connection from your dmd controller to the pin2dmd controller.

#130 7 years ago

I have the kit and am using the included ribbon cable, yes.

#131 7 years ago

make pictures of both sides of the dmd connection please

#132 7 years ago

It's for someone else's Frankenstein and not sure he can come in here and get pictures of the underside but I asked him. Here's a photo of the top construction.

#133 7 years ago

What i can see from that picture is that the pin 1 (red strand) of the custom cable is not set to point 1 on the display driver board. please turn it around.

On the DMD itself, please make sure the red strand is facing towards the MicroSD-Cardreader

Greetings,
Dom

#134 7 years ago

Right ! To test the Sega DMD Controller is working correctly, you can also connect a 128x32 DMD.
I used a Stern Display for this test on my machine. You should see a part of the normal animations.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

What i can see from that picture is that the pin 1 (red strand) of the custom cable is not set to point 1 on the display driver board. please turn it around.
On the DMD itself, please make sure the red strand is facing towards the MicroSD-Cardreader
Greetings,
Dom

Unfortunately I've tried this and it made no difference. Check the photos below, everything looks correct to me.

Quoted from lucky1:

Right ! To test the Sega DMD Controller is working correctly, you can also connect a 128x32 DMD.
I used a Stern Display for this test on my machine. You should see a part of the normal animations.

Wow seriously?? I never knew that. I don't think the cable will reach the other game next to it though. Reason I am suspecting the PIN2DMD is the controller board was confirmed good by Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron, plus I know the driver board is working because the playfield lights don't flash brightly. If the driver board isn't talking to the CPU you will get random flashes of 18v in the lamp matrix, especially at the start button lamp. Once I got power connected properly to the driver board the lamps returned to normal. This I confirmed just through experience and many hours of troubleshooting Sega 3b games.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#136 7 years ago

On the website, I noticed there are two options for regular units, one called
"RGB.PIN.DMD-SET V3 ready-to-go"
another one called "Tyche" that is $20 higher, Im not sure what im even looking at, sorry Im an idiot, I want one for my Stargate... but which one do I want? Any going to be at TPF for pickup?

#137 7 years ago

Crash the cable on the display driver still looks like it is in the wrong direction. A close up without flash could help much more

ZEN main difference is that the "Tyche" is a "all-in-one" controllerboard, where the V3 is a combination of discoveryboard and breakoutboard.
On functionality side they work the same, Tyche just looks a bit more "professional" for those wo care

Atm I don't know is someone will be at TPF, but I'll inform you about distributor very soon.

Greetings,
Dom

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

crash the cable on the display driver still looks like it is in the wrong direction. A close up without flash could help much more

Sorry I guess my wording was poor. What I meant was I already tried swapping the direction of the ribbon cable on the display board itself, this photo was taken before I did that.

#139 7 years ago

I don´t think that is the cable that came with the kit. The plug on the pin2dmd side should have one of the wires cut and
shifted. Please make a closeup of the dmd cable on both sides.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I don´t think that is the cable that came with the kit. The plug on the pin2dmd side should have one of the wires cut and
shifted. Please make a closeup of the dmd cable on both sides.

Sure, I told him to send me photos. It's the original cable and from the pictures I have it does not look cut/shifted. In fact from what I remember it looks just like a normal 14 pin cable. I didn't touch anything on the PIN2DMD board, everything attached to it is the same way it arrived in the box.

#141 7 years ago

Now that I look at these close ups it does seem like one line is cut off the side.

#142 7 years ago

Please turn the cable on the last picture. The red strand has to face to pin 1! Everything else is fine.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Now that I look at these close ups it does seem like one line is cut off the side.

That is correct that way but the like Rappelbox said the plug needs to be turned on the Sega controller side.
And please also try to make the test with the small DMD.

#144 7 years ago

Will try a test with a small display next. Thanks.

#145 7 years ago

Im considering ordering some spare controllers, any interest?!

#146 7 years ago

Anything on US distributor?

#147 7 years ago

I would like to update my Maverick with the color screen, please add me to your US distributor list.

Thanks

#148 7 years ago

For people at tpf:
You may walk over to lermods booth and have a little talk to Robert

#149 7 years ago

I've been busy at TPF and heard this was posted. While I'd love to meet some pinsiders here at TPF and have them walk over to our booth, please do, I am not the distributor for these DMDs.

#150 7 years ago

Since there was a bad turnaround (NOT from Lermods , of course!) the shipping is again from Germany.
All components are already in production and/or already shipping.

I added a bigger processor, this leaves space for future development!
USB connector is also added so you can update, change colors and settings directly from a connected PC or Laptop.
You can still use a MicroSD and transfer between Pinball and PC

So the Set contains everything you need to replace your old DMD:

-Frame including matching mounting holes. No modification to machine needed like TFT solution
-RGB Panels 192X64 original resolution with stunning contrast and high brightness (can be adjusted)
-Controller (bigger Chip then last version, USB, MicroSD)
-MicroSD - USB Adaptor
-MicroSD Card 8GB
-Power supply
-complete cabeling to connect to machine (prewired, connectors mounted)
-Instruction manual

I choose to stay on save secondary power supply because power supply for DMDs on these machines was a weak point, and caused a lot of DMDs to reboot or not even start.

Installation is really simple and convenient, takes around 10-15 minutes!

If you like to participate, now is the time to order!

Kind regards,
Dominik

If you need smaller 128X32 PIN2DMDs ou can contact me about them too.

-->An overview about my products can be found here: https://germangamingsupplies.com/Home <--

For non-EU please contact me directly via mail: [email protected]

There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement/page/3?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.