(Topic ID: 145979)

Who makes this new Gottlieb power supply board?

By Pinballmike217

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New Power Supply Installed (resized).JPG
    8 Ball New Power Supp. 1 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

Looks like a cheaped down version of mine.

#8 8 years ago

System 1 & 80/80A (as in first post) -- yes.
    80B -- not really. Would be easy to do but no time to do it.

I design high end satellite comm equipment - stuff that results in $M if there is a failure. So I tend to design everything to very high standards and only use high end parts. The switching regulator and catch diode on my board don't really need heat sinks but I added them "because 'I could' and also wanted to see if anybody would copy it", funny that the other board also put the same heat sink on the catch diode. Real test points, paralleled input caps with capability to add main filter caps, voltage adjustment for 5V supply with limiter, screw terminals on low input and output voltages in addition to ground.
    Plus a complete analysis was performed (system 1 but applies to 80/80A as well):
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Information.asp?region=143

#13 8 years ago

One thing to remember on the Gottlieb power supply boards. Every manufacturer out there including me uses a linear voltage regulator for the high voltage side - with only one exception: Pascal. *ALL* linear regulators dissipate the excess voltage (actually power) the same way --> heat. A bigger the heat sink with lower thermal resistance means the heat is dissipated to the atmosphere more efficiently which means the HV regulator will remain cooler. If all HV regulators used the exact same heat sinks and had the same overall thermal resistance - they would all operate at the exact same temperature. But I don't like heat so I use large, extruded (and pricey) heat sinks on all HV regulators.

Pascal, on the other hand, uses a switching regulator to step up incoming low voltage to obtain his 60V design. An excellent design. I have considered changing over to this type of design but have not had the time.

System 80B regulators? I am surprised anybody was looking for these. The existing design was so simple that I just ignored it. It does use a linear regulator with a horrible, non-caged trimmer which people seem to cuss about. Would be a VERY simple to design and build. But I don't have an 80B machine so I don't have any dimensions of the original to facilitate mounting the board. Anybody have an old, dead System 80B supply they wish to donate?

Ed

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-makes-this-new-gottlieb-power-supply-board?tu=g-p-e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.