(Topic ID: 145979)

Who makes this new Gottlieb power supply board?

By Pinballmike217

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New Power Supply Installed (resized).JPG
    8 Ball New Power Supp. 1 (resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

Anyone know who the manufacturer of this Gottlieb system 80 power supply board on ebay is? If anyone has any experience with this board I'm wondering if this or a Rottendog would be a better choice.

#2 8 years ago

IDK the exact answer, but the same seller also offers a similar looking power supply for sys80B which says "Gulf Pinball" on it. Maybe message the seller and ask? I have no personal experience with Rottendog products but can say I have not heard 100% positive feedback on them when researching. In my sys80B, I have a Ni-Wumpf driver (purchased directly) and a Swemmer MPU (purchased through ksarcade.net).

I've been thinking about replacing my power supply board, not that my original one is busted, I just feel maybe "better safe than sorry". K's Arcade offers one (for sys80B) which looks almost identical to the one this eBay seller offers, the only differences are price ($25 less on eBay), and the one on eBay has LED's to confirm 12v and 5v currents. Though, having bought from K's before, I'd almost say the $ is worth the customer support, great company to deal with.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

IDK the exact answer, but the same seller also offers a similar looking power supply for sys80B which says "Gulf Pinball" on it. Maybe message the seller and ask? I have no personal experience with Rottendog products but can say I have not heard 100% positive feedback on them when researching. In my sys80B, I have a Ni-Wumpf driver (purchased directly) and a Swemmer MPU (purchased through ksarcade.net).
    I've been thinking about replacing my power supply board, not that my original one is busted, I just feel maybe "better safe than sorry". K's Arcade offers one (for sys80B) which looks almost identical to the one this eBay seller offers, the only differences are price ($25 less on eBay), and the one on eBay has LED's to confirm 12v and 5v currents. Though, having bought from K's before, I'd almost say the $ is worth the customer support, great company to deal with.

I noticed the "Gulf Pinball" name as well. I googled it but nothing came up. I will ask the seller. I was hoping someone here had some experience with it

#4 8 years ago

I am curious too. Please post what you find!

#5 8 years ago

Looks like a cheaped down version of mine.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Looks like a cheaped down version of mine.

Do you have plans to produce one for Gott Sys 80B?

Curious what about the one in question is "cheaped down" from yours. I can tell from photos yours appears to have more components on it, but I am just not in the know and really would like to know. Higher quality components or just more features? It looks like the one on eBay does not have the adjustable 5v / 12v trim that yours appears to have.

#7 8 years ago

www.greatplainselectronics.com if you don't know G-P-E, Pinballmike217. Excellent supplier of components and more.

#8 8 years ago

System 1 & 80/80A (as in first post) -- yes.
    80B -- not really. Would be easy to do but no time to do it.

I design high end satellite comm equipment - stuff that results in $M if there is a failure. So I tend to design everything to very high standards and only use high end parts. The switching regulator and catch diode on my board don't really need heat sinks but I added them "because 'I could' and also wanted to see if anybody would copy it", funny that the other board also put the same heat sink on the catch diode. Real test points, paralleled input caps with capability to add main filter caps, voltage adjustment for 5V supply with limiter, screw terminals on low input and output voltages in addition to ground.
    Plus a complete analysis was performed (system 1 but applies to 80/80A as well):
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Information.asp?region=143

#9 8 years ago

Just my opinion, for a gottlieb pin you may want to put "swemmer" boards in your choices

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

80B -- not really. Would be easy to do but no time to do it.

lots of 80B fans that woudl like if you find the time

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lots of 80B fans that woudl like if you find the time

Me too, I need a few of these!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com if you don't know G-P-E, Pinballmike217. Excellent supplier of components and more.

Yes, I've purchased from GPE many times, their Bally/Williams DMD driver board repair kit is awesome. I've probably used a dozen of those. Unfortunately they are out of stock on the Gottlieb boards. I do like the giant heat sinks on these boards which is leaning me towards this over Rottendog.

#13 8 years ago

One thing to remember on the Gottlieb power supply boards. Every manufacturer out there including me uses a linear voltage regulator for the high voltage side - with only one exception: Pascal. *ALL* linear regulators dissipate the excess voltage (actually power) the same way --> heat. A bigger the heat sink with lower thermal resistance means the heat is dissipated to the atmosphere more efficiently which means the HV regulator will remain cooler. If all HV regulators used the exact same heat sinks and had the same overall thermal resistance - they would all operate at the exact same temperature. But I don't like heat so I use large, extruded (and pricey) heat sinks on all HV regulators.

Pascal, on the other hand, uses a switching regulator to step up incoming low voltage to obtain his 60V design. An excellent design. I have considered changing over to this type of design but have not had the time.

System 80B regulators? I am surprised anybody was looking for these. The existing design was so simple that I just ignored it. It does use a linear regulator with a horrible, non-caged trimmer which people seem to cuss about. Would be a VERY simple to design and build. But I don't have an 80B machine so I don't have any dimensions of the original to facilitate mounting the board. Anybody have an old, dead System 80B supply they wish to donate?

Ed

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

I am curious too. Please post what you find!

I did ask the seller about this board. He responded promptly. He makes about 15 boards himself including one for system 80B. He is a retired engineer in Florida. Just click on "other items" in his auction link to see what he does. I'm going to give the system 80 board a try. I'll post how it goes.

1 month later
    #15 8 years ago

Sorry, forgot to follow up on this sooner. The board is an excellent product. It even has a nice ground screw lug point so you can easily add your ground mod jumper wires to all the other boards. No need to hesitate on this one. Great price, too. Company name is Gulf Pinball.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up. The seller has the 80b board up for sale again and I'm thinking on picking one up. I don't think my original board is bad, all voltages read correctly both idle and under load. The reason I want to replace it is because I am planning a retheme for my machine and if I am to invest the time/resources to make the machine look new, I want to know its functionality will be dependable.

I appreciate the new board having LED indicators for +5v and +12v, my only hold up is the lack of the potentiometer for adjusting output voltage.

Anyone have any advice on if this is a truly necessary/crucial component to have? I'd want to believe if the board is new, its +5v output would be dependable and true. When I acquired my machine, the PS was outputting almost +7v. Maybe this was because it had the pot in the first place(?).

#17 8 years ago

bump

#18 8 years ago

I bought a PS board from this guy for a Williams sys 11 and it worked great! It also had extremely fast shipping.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

Thanks for the follow-up. The seller has the 80b board up for sale again and I'm thinking on picking one up. I don't think my original board is bad, all voltages read correctly both idle and under load. The reason I want to replace it is because I am planning a retheme for my machine and if I am to invest the time/resources to make the machine look new, I want to know its functionality will be dependable.
    I appreciate the new board having LED indicators for +5v and +12v, my only hold up is the lack of the potentiometer for adjusting output voltage.
    Anyone have any advice on if this is a truly necessary/crucial component to have? I'd want to believe if the board is new, its +5v output would be dependable and true. When I acquired my machine, the PS was outputting almost +7v. Maybe this was because it had the pot in the first place(?).

I would email Gulf Pinball and ask him directly. He was very helpful and knowledgeable.

11 months later
    #20 7 years ago

I ordered one of these boards from Gulf Pinball on ebay, but I now see that the connections are mirrored to the original one - the J1-connector is in the top and the J2-connector in the bottom. As it is the opposite in the original board.
    So this need to be upside down when I install it or am I totally missing something here?

7 months later
    #21 6 years ago

Anyone else deal with gulf pinball boards? They sell them on macro specialties now

1 month later
    #22 6 years ago

I just ordered one off of Ebay, will see how it works as it looks alot like the one GPE used to sell.

#23 6 years ago

I bought one of the Gulf supplies for a System 1. Pretty much drop in, except for the fact that the instructions basically said "remove the power supply mount, install directly on the backplate". I had a spare power supply heat sink (we replaced the power supply with one from another machine, and the one we replaced was completely toasted so I dismantled it), so i mounted the Gulf to it, it has a set of matching holes for the screw points, I just had to look through my box o' screws for a set of bolts and nuts. No mirrored connectors on the board.

So far it's been working like a champ.

2 years later
    #24 4 years ago

How are the Gulf Pinball power supply boards holding up? Any problems?

4 months later
    #25 4 years ago

I have installed 3 of them so far and all are still working great after several years.

#26 4 years ago

I have a 3 year old one from Gulf Pinball, still working well.

2 months later
    #27 4 years ago

I have purchased about 8 power supplies from Gulf Pinball. They have all worked flawlessly so far. Nice Product and really great to talk with. Pictured is one of the replacement AS-2518-18 power supplies I put in my Eightball and Nitro Ground Shaker.

8 Ball New Power Supp. 1 (resized).JPG8 Ball New Power Supp. 1 (resized).JPGNew Power Supply Installed (resized).JPGNew Power Supply Installed (resized).JPG
    9 months later
    #28 3 years ago

I got one of these Gulf Pinball boards in a Genie. I think the power supply board is less than a year old. Yesterday, it lost all +5v output (zero volts out of it). All other voltages are right on the money. It would appear the U1 chip which is a special PTR08060WVD (Digikey # 296-22673-ND) 5v @ 6 amps power regulator has gone dead.

8 months later
    #29 2 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

I think the 5v pot is important, I picked up a Gottlieb Arena a few weeks ago, previous owner had put this gulf power supply in it, along with a Swemmer cpu, and Ni-Wumph driver. After playing it for a few days it decided to randomly go haywire. So I checked the 5v. The board was outputting 5v like it should have. But at the connectors for the sound board And mpu the voltage had dropped to 4.86 volts. But if I checked that with my dmm grounded to the optional ground lug on the power supply it would read 5v at the boards. So I had to run a ground from the power supply board and tie it into the grounds at the MPU and sound board. Now they are getting the 5v they need. Would have been easier to just increase the 5v at the board to compensate for the cable resistance going to the boards.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-makes-this-new-gottlieb-power-supply-board?hl=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.