Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1957.JPG
23-blupb.jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I was wondering if they could make them different colors instead of white. I'd buy a white one, blue one and orange one for my Tron LE. That would be wicked. Anyone mod these?

#2 11 years ago

I've never seen them in other colors besides white. wait you would put them in Tron?? just for the thrill of it?

#3 11 years ago

I've read that Pat Lawlor experimented with different colors. They custom ordered a few different ones from the manufacturer (at some cost I would assume) and he was really pushing for blue in TZ. In the end, they chose white because everything else they tried made the ball way too hard to track on the playfield...especially the blue!

#4 11 years ago

+100 for Tron LE with ceramic balls in it. That is what I would call fast.

#5 11 years ago

Tron LE was not intended to have powerballs. I find that if a game is not originally designed for something(shaker motor, powerball, etc) it doesn't flow.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from TJ141:

I've never seen them in other colors besides white. wait you would put them in Tron?? just for the thrill of it?

Absolutely. I know it would make an already fast game faster, but how cool would it be with orange, blue, white power balls. If people are going to bling machines - why not bling the balls for this game. Wicked fast.

#7 11 years ago

They made proto blue ones. I was offered one a couple years back but couldn't justify the price. Apparently they were very hard to see on the playfield. I had heard a rumor that a blue powerball was going to be made but haven't seen anything more about it.

#8 11 years ago

One of the Patron Saints of RGP/TZ, Jonathan Deitch, has a blue powerball:

23-blupb.jpg23-blupb.jpg

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

One of the Patron Saints of RGP/TZ, Jonathan Deitch, has a blue powerball:

Now that looks awesome! Imagine that in a Tron!

#10 11 years ago

Stick with WHITE!

#11 11 years ago

I like the idea. Has anyone played a Tron with all powerballs? That game would be wicked fast!

#12 11 years ago

Does anyone make a ball that looks like an Eyeball for my Scared Stiff?

#13 11 years ago

Oops! Just found Back Alley and ordered the Scared Stiff Eyeball Ball!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oops! Just found Back Alley and ordered the Scared Stiff Eyeball Ball!

Where from?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Where from?

http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

Click on "Black Pearl Pinballs". Matt has a ton of cool ones to choose from.

#16 11 years ago

It would also be great if someone made them...if they could make the yellow one for the Catacomb backbox>>> I believe it is the same material, just slightly smaller...I need one for a Catacomb, and haven't been able to find one at any of the dealers. I talked to Marco about making them, but have not heard anything more from them on it.

Phoebe

#17 11 years ago

I wonder if one of those White ones would be cool on the Scared Stiff??

10 months later
#18 11 years ago

I know this is an older thread but this is exactly what I was hoping to find. After seeing the white ball in Twilight Zone I really wanted it for my No Good Gofers because I wanted more of a golf ball look. Would this work if I could find them or would it end up causing damage?

#19 11 years ago

Hah!...I actually bought the white one and never used it! Not cheap either. Lemme know if you can't find one.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Stick with WHITE!

How do you get "retired"?

I was lucky and found an Extra powerball in the dust corner of my TZ when I picked it up (over a decade ago). Then for years I saw these selling for $40 to $50. I always wondered why somone would not make a profitable repro out of these.

This the "mod" craze in full force you would think a potential gold mine. Opps, maybe I better thing this out . . .

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

How do you get "retired"?
I always wondered why somone would not make a profitable repro out of these.

For being a total douche.

Those are the repros. No point in making them on the cheap...if you need one you need one and gotta pay the piper

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

For being a total douche.

Those are the repros. No point in making them on the cheap...if you need one you need one and gotta pay the piper

I didn't know if there was a period of inactivity.

I am not saying on the cheap. Just saying manufactuing should be better now, I would hope.

#24 11 years ago

Yes, I think these new ones were better. Read the Marco description...

#25 11 years ago

Nothing against Marco, I have had nothing but good dealings with them. But just because someone says it is better . . . I need time and a lot of collisions

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I like the idea. Has anyone played a Tron with all powerballs? That game would be wicked fast!

Playing a Tron with all ceramic balls would be garbage. You would get air balls a plenty for sure. I would guess it would be close to unplayable.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Brixies had one with all powerballs for a while last year.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Playing a Tron with all ceramic balls would be garbage. You would get air balls a plenty for sure. I would guess it would be close to unplayable.

actually it played fantastic.

#29 11 years ago

The powerball is just a standard 1 1/16" ceramic ball used for industrial bearings. According to an interview with Ted Estes the manufacturing process for whatever chemistry they chose prohibited coloring other than white or blue. So that means its probably Zirconia or Alumina Oxide although I could be wrong. I would love to try a Silicon Nitride ball which is crazy light and is a high gloss black. It's not as hard as other ceramics though (still 10x harder than steel).

#30 11 years ago

Anyway, lemme know if you want my ball...at a discount, natch!

#32 11 years ago

It they are indeed the same quality ball, yes, it's cheaper. But so's mine.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It they are indeed the same quality ball, yes, it's cheaper. But so's mine.

Same ball, I found this one after I got ripped off by Marco.
I ordered one and weighed them both.
Almost double the price is a gouge IMO.
Marco is my last resort now, this really pissed me off.
Didn't mean to crap on your post, I posted before I read down further.

#35 11 years ago

Juat a little fact about the ceramic balls they were going to put a blue one in white water but it got lost in the upper playfield so they xed that idea out.

#36 11 years ago

I have heard the repo powerball is a different weight to the original

#37 11 years ago

I'd say, just go to the Marco link I posted, the stats are there...

#38 11 years ago

If no one is interested here...Ebay it goes...

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Juat a little fact about the ceramic balls they were going to put a blue one in White Water but it got lost in the upper playfield so they xed that idea out.

Never heard that, wonder if Dennis Nordman would chime in about htat.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Jay had them in his Tron at the Winter pin Olympics.
I even think the game was jacked up really steep

It was really brutal, my game lasted all of 45 secs for all 3 balls, but I think that was the point.... there were some crazy and awesomely unique game setups and challenges.
Search for his pinball Olympics thread to see more.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Never heard that, wonder if Dennis Nordman would chime in about htat.

Not true.

#42 11 years ago

I found some glo balls and loaded them into my Tron. Looks cool and plays fast. True pinheads who played it not so impressed as they like the "real" silver ball feel. I like the look and play challenge for a change of pace. And with right lighting in Tron looks sweet.

#44 11 years ago

if you want a faster game, buy a slightly smaller ball. like the ones in the old tilt rails for early system11 (pin*bot). I threw that little ball in one time and had a blast. my only fear is breaking plastics, because it jets around like mad.

#45 11 years ago

Thank you for the response.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If no one is interested here...Ebay it goes...

pm sent..... no to epay!!!!

Predator #171

#47 11 years ago

Hi Spidey! Here's a pic. Looks good to me. Here's the Marco description:
#20-9809
New production bright pearlescent white (as original) ceramic "Power Ball" pinball used in Bally TWILIGHT ZONE.
Superior ceramic ball. New production ceramic ball meets or exceeds the original manufacturer's specifications.
Size: 1-1/16" diameter
Weight: 65 grams

IMG_1957.JPGIMG_1957.JPG

#48 11 years ago

So would those work in No Good Gofers with no problems?

#49 11 years ago

I want to put powerballs in everything now! Too bad it wouldn't work in LOTR.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Too bad it wouldn't work in LOTR.

Sure it would - Gandalf the white. I think it's still magnetic. TZ still has magnets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 132.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 29.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-makes-the-white-ceramic-tz-balls/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.