Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pb2.jpg
    pb1.jpg
    medusa comp 2.jpg
    medusa comp 1.jpg
    P1010597.JPG
    DSC02577.JPG
    PB120042.JPG
    DSC07337.JPG
    DSC04726.JPG
    DSC02684.JPG
    DSC01918.JPG
    DSC02222.JPG
    DSC01761.JPG
    DSC00465.JPG
    DSC01419.JPG
    DSC01172.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TwistedPins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

While I can not speak for the quality of the other vendors stencils all of our stencils are made using automotive paint mask and not generic vinyl. We stand behind everything we make and if you have an issue or question with your stencil we are always available to help out.

Travis
    [email protected]

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I have done several and I can comment on a few and make some recommendations to makers of stencils.

Pinball Pal: Did a EBD with stencils from them. Very thick and super great stencils. 10 out of 10

Twisted Pins: Great customer service and nice products but I was not too happy with the stencils.
    I got Harlem Globtrotters one and they worked nice. The pattern was pretty simple so it worked good.

I recently did Space Station with stencils from them and they were not very good stencils. Way too thin and did not stick very well. What happens is when they do not stick they move around and by far the biggest issue is thickness. When they are thin they stretch when you smooth them out. It was a big mess and I was unhappy after spending days bondo ing the cabinet and prepping it to have these stencils fall off then stretch and warp.

I think Twisted Pins is a great company. I did send them a note about this via their FORM on their website but I got some bounced error when I submitted and did not have time to contact them. I am sure they would have worked with me on this. So my comments above are meant as general comments and hopefully they will use thicker and more sticky stencils. Maybe ask Pinball Pay what they used.

Sorry to hear you had an issue with the Space Station stencils. We would have worked to resolve the issue with you and I see that you mentioned you tried to send it using the form on the site but it bounced back. Not sure why it bounced back but we will look into that.

As for the thickness of the stencils this is the first feedback we have heard from our customers in regards to the issue you mentioned. Since Mark from Pinball Pal is no longer around we have no way to know exactly what brand of mask he used. We are always looking to improve our products to offer the best stencil on the market. We will look into other brands of mask. Thanks for the feedback!

Travis
    [email protected]

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tulsa_Times:

I've redrawn the art for the San Francisco that I'm restoring and have wondered the best way to do this myself. I have an acquaintance who owns a sign shop and he said that he can cut it out of self-adhesive vinyl. Does anyone have any recommendations on specific material to use or not use??

You don't want to use regular vinyl. Make sure it is cut out using actual paint mask made by companies such as Oracal or Gerber and you will have good results.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tulsa_Times:

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I predict that the next thing I'll find out is that a minimum order of material will be enough to do 25 machines . . .

Most sign shops already carry it in house so they shouldn't charge you a minimum.

9 months later
    #23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I know its pretty much trial and error as Twisted Pins has lots of success with the other stencils and without feedback from users there is no sense in making a thicker stencil for some, etc.
    So I they can make them thicker and from a pro painting mask material used by car painters, etc... then it will be a superb product.
    I am happy with Twisted Pins and will get all my stencils from them as I am sure they are always looking to improve the product!

Our stencils are cut out of Oracal 813 which is a 3 mil semi-transparent blue paint mask that works with solvent or waterborne paints. This is the same mask used in the auto body industry.

If we used a thicker mask it would only make for thicker hard edges between the colors. We haven't received much feedback in regards to the thickness of the material the stencils are cut out of.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

This is my $0.02... it's possible that TP decided they wanted people to have the ability to only re-paint single colors. If so they designed the stencil correctly.

We do sell single sides or just one stencil quite often. There are lots of machines that just have one bad side or front and people aren't interested in redoing the whole machine.

Quoted from PinballPimp:

I have never seen the artwork produced by Twisted Pins so I cannot comment on the cleanliness of art, but have seen MANY cabs painted with the old PINBALL PAL stencils and all were very badly designed. That's why I design my own.

I can tell you that there are 2 big name high end restorers who have been using our stencils for almost 2 years now so we must be doing something right!

We let our product speak for itself and believe that it is the best on the market and never will cut down another competitor regardless of their quality. From the pictures that you have posted Pinball Pimp I see that you do take pride in your work and it looks great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TwistedPins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-makes-the-best-stencils?tu=TwistedPins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.