Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cp1610
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robgo777.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I would buy a few that ran off the flashers. I also can't believe nobody has made them. There seems to be enough demand

So I was planning to wait until we were further along to make an announcement but after seeing this thread I feel compelled to do so now.

We have been developing a universal plug and play shaker motor kit for several months. We have done an extensive amount of research and development and have a couple prototype boards we are currently testing. The motor can run off of flashers as well as pop bumpers and will be compatible with just about any machine that have either. Testing has gone very well with all WPC era machines and older Stern SAM systems that were made prior to them including shakers from the factory (POTC for example). We are still trying to get them to work with Williams System 7-11 series as well but we havent gotten the results we are happy with yet. It should also work with Gottlieb, Data East and Capcom generations but have yet to test them. It will also have up to 8 differnet inputs that you can select with an on board dip switch so you can choose to have more than one flasher triggering the motor.

The entire kit is going to be plug and play, no wire splicing or soldering required. The most invasive part will simply be drilling the holes in the bottom of the cabinet to mount the motor. The kit will even use it's own power supply so there will be no need to draw power from the machine's power driver board. We have developed a way to easily tie the separate power supply to the machine's 110vac so that it will turn on/off with the machine so you dont have to unplug it. The power supply will also have addition plugs so you can connect other game mods that take 12vdc like LED strips etc.

Right now we are doing some final testing to make sure we minimize or eliminate any EMI coming from the motor. There is a lot of work involved in a project like this, it is not simply just a circuit board with a few transistors and capacitors. There is even an extensive amount of computer coding involved in a microcontroller. We want to make sure the kit is completely safe to install, after all they will be in all of the machines in our own collection and we know how expensive it is to replace a pinball power board or MPU! There will also be a thumb screw adjustment where you can adjust the motor speed by hand in the 25%-100% range so you can get the perfect amount of desired shake.

Look for more announcements in the next few weeks along with photos/video. We will be finalizing the price point but it is looking like it will be in the $175-$225 range for the entire kit which includes the motor, motor bracket, plastic shield, driver board, power supply, wire harness and mounting hardware. We will also be interested in beta testers, PM me for more information on that if you are interested. The plan is to call it the "Pinshakers Universal Shaker Motor Kit".

Thanks,

Robert Goebel
    Pinshakers

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

One question for ya. Does the flashers trigger the shaker motor when in attract mode? Hopefully not.

Yes they would, unless you somehow are able to link into the game code we do not believe there is any way around that. Most of the time though it is just the controlled lamps that flash in attract mode.

My Champion Pub however does a short flasher sequence after the game ends. During this time the motor would shake when the flasher goes off. It isn't as bad though as you would think.

In theory it would be possible to prevent it from happening if we were to know the exact sequence and frequency the flashers go off in attract mode. We could then set the program to recognize this and disable the motor until you started a new game.

We will continue to look for ways to improve the code and the overall kit. A lot of money and resources have been poured into this project already so we are definitely here for the long run.

Regards,

Robert Goebel
    Pinshakers

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Interesting. For pre DMD, instead of being a slave to something you have no control over (light shows) or even worse something that's used a lot like a flasher, what about optos.... existing or adding? What about making use of leaf switches? I have a Funhouse I wouldnt mind adding a shaker to if the shaker could actually make sense.

We are exploring ways to link into the switch matrix. Only thing is it would require a completely different driver board than one that is triggered off of flashlamps or solenoids. If we manage to successfully develop a board that can be tied into the switch matrix then we will likely offer it as a separate kit.

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

Rob

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Or you could cut power if the switch for the last ball in the ball trough is triggered. You already have a logic board, so not much more work.

This is an interesting idea and we will look into it further.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robgo777.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-makes-shaker-motors?tu=robgo777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.