(Topic ID: 260812)

Who loves 3 flipper games?

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are 3 flipper games the best?”

• Of Course! 45 votes
      92%
    • What you talkin' about Willis? 4 votes
      8%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180712_232112 (resized).jpg
    dcc3779e5f8e6111e4eb559a40ecbfef9d7e024c (resized).jpg
    dcc3779e5f8e6111e4eb559a40ecbfef9d7e024c (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I love 3 flipper games.

After diving off the deep end into this hobby 2 years ago, I’ve gone through about a dozen machines in my basement (why do I keep punishing myself moving these) and played a good hundred or more games at pinball shows and have come to a simple conclusion… 3 flipper machines are the best!
    I currently have a ST:TNG, Whirlwind, Taxi, and High Speed in my basement. I just got the Taxi and High Speed + cash in a trade for my Champion Pub. I was mostly interested in Taxi and got the High Speed as “change” in a package trade and… I love it! I really like 3 flipper games that have the jackpot on the third flipper. It is so darn challenging and hard to get that shot but I absolutely love it. I like the Taxi but to be honest am having more fun on the High Speed. I am looking forward to getting my Rick and Morty and adding another 3 flipper to the collection.

Thinking back on it, the other games I’d really love to put in my basement are a Demo Man, Addams Family, and Funhouse (eventually I’ll trade out for these), but these are all 3 flipper games too. Twilight Zone is tempting with the four. The modern Sterns I have liked most are Stern Star Trek with an honorable mention to Simpsons Pinball Party and Jurassic Park.

The long and short of it is that 3 flippers are best. Especially when the 3rd flipper ramp shot is required to get the multiball. All pinball is fun, but those 3 flipper games just can’t be beat.

#2 4 years ago

Love 3rd flipper jackpot shots...

The more flippers the better!

#3 4 years ago

Doctor Who , Whirlwind

#4 4 years ago

I love them too except when that 3rd flipper is set up for only 1 shot. Then the fun gets old too quick.

#5 4 years ago

My favorite game.

dcc3779e5f8e6111e4eb559a40ecbfef9d7e024c (resized).jpgdcc3779e5f8e6111e4eb559a40ecbfef9d7e024c (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago

Any of you have trouble with certain games using the upper flipper. ?
    Doctor Who is easy for me as is High Speed, but Getaway and Funhouse I am terrible with the upper flipper.

#7 4 years ago

I say the more flippers the better in general, but I do have an awful lot of 2 flipper games in my collection

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Any of you have trouble with certain games using the upper flipper. ?
    Doctor Who is easy for me as is High Speed, but Getaway and Funhouse I am terrible with the upper flipper.

It has been my experience that 3rd flippers usually shoot up steep ramps, so the flipper has to be perfectly adjusted and/or rebuilt to make the shot possible. I had to rebuild my Star Trek and Whirlwind flipper to make the shot consistently. But some games are harder to hit than others... queue my Whirlwind.

#10 4 years ago

Out of all my games, NGG has the most satisfying jackpot shot by far.

#11 4 years ago

I have three.

Baywatch (the tiny flipper is a fourth, i know, I know)
    Whirlwind
    Monopoly

They all have a decently satisfying shot. Monopoly having the easiest ramp shot with third flipper.

#12 4 years ago

All my games almost have to have 3 or 4 flippers I love them as well

#13 4 years ago

I only own games that have at least 3 or more flippers.

#14 4 years ago

I love three flipper games, especially when they serve multiple uses. X-Men is a perfect example. Two distinct shots with Rogue and Storm, plus the insanely cool Gambit hurry-up. Three different feeds, short plunge for distinct skill shots, Cyclops for a nice controlled feed, and Beast for a "oh my God that's fast good luck hitting it and if you do it will probably reject from going airborne at Mach 10" feed.

Stern Jurassic Park also. Two main shots, upper loop and Raptor Tower ramp, but also the very important supply drop target. Four feeds, controlled out of the pops, a bit faster out of the spinner or right ramp, and screaming fast from the loop. Perfect use!

That said, it's sad that the vast majority of three flipper games use a right upper. I would love to see more left uppers used...Tron and JJP POTC are the only two modern three flipper games I can think of that use a left upper (though I might be forgetting some).

#15 4 years ago

All my favorite games are 3-4 flippers with only a few exceptions. They add shots, loops, and more dynamics to the game. What's not to love? Sadly, Stern does not seem to share the same love. At least they have Elwin making amazing games with upper flippers. IMDN and JP best modern games by far imo.

#16 4 years ago

I wish more titles would use a third flipper, and I’m crossing my fingers that TMNT goes with more than 2. How about 4! I can dream!!!

#17 4 years ago

For a time, I noticed that nearly all of my games were 3 flipper games: whirlwind, earthshaker, lights camera action, white water, super Mario bros, the shadow. I love them all. More shots, and I love how they give the table an extra dimension of "side to side" play.

Though, almost every guest who come to play never notice upper flippers, and if I point them out they can't properly use them, or choose to ignore it entirely.

#18 4 years ago

I like spiderman...roadshow....the shadow

#19 4 years ago

White whater

#20 4 years ago

shadow, high speed, JP 2, ST, whirlwind, DI - some of my favorites

#21 4 years ago

Yup. Star trek and jp

#22 4 years ago

dirty harry......give it another 5-10 years and it will finally get some recognition that it deserves. great combos with magnet/ramp divertor/upper flipper.

#23 4 years ago

Rick and Morty

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

My favorite game.[quoted image]

No cap on the top pop bumper in your lower jets? BTW, you can get those LED rings working if you need to cut them.

#25 4 years ago

Congo - volcano lock and super jackpot shots.

#26 4 years ago

I like the 3 flipper ones with the double flipper at the bottom (Capt Fantastic, Alladin's Castle) and watching peoples reactions when they lose it between the 2 flippers -

20180712_232112 (resized).jpg20180712_232112 (resized).jpg
    #27 4 years ago

Addams is 4 flippers

#28 4 years ago

Banzai Run ....
    2 Play fields ... 3 flippers each

#29 4 years ago

3 flipper games are great! Stern Star Trek, Spider Man, Jurassic Park and Iron Maiden are some of my favorite layouts. I definitely enjoy extra flippers and more unique shots.

That’s what I like about Jersey Jack too, all their pins have 3 or more flippers!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

I wish more titles would use a third flipper, and I’m crossing my fingers that TMNT goes with more than 2. How about 4! I can dream!!!

A flipper for each turtle??? Mind blown....

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Banzai Run ....
    2 Play fields ... 3 flippers each

Black hole 2 playfields and 6 flippers

#32 4 years ago

Family Guy. 2 playfields and 5 flippers. Although, I think of it as a 3 flipper game.

1 week later
    #33 4 years ago

Maverick- that captive ball shot coming off the 3rd flipper is fun

1 year later
    #34 2 years ago

Three is good, but for my four game collection I have 19 flippers total (8 of those are in Haunted House, honestly 6 would have been fine in that machine). Which speaking of, anyone know which game had the most flippers (HH perhaps)?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-loves-3-flipper-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.