IMG_20190419_112638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190419_102204 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190419_094039 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190419_094028 (resized).jpg
IMG_7574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7571 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Three more bigguns

That first one must have seen Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day...

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

my wife says I do not have any morels, or is it morals.

Both!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Two Iditarod racers were side by side and the sleds kept hitting each other. Hey, said one of them, how about some mush room?

And for o-din
for this week's avatar anyway.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

for this week's avatar anyway.

I got a new one in the works, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to enlarge it enough on this windows computer at work. On my MAC at home it's a snap.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#55 5 years ago

Looks like Uncle Sam wants. . . a Hot Dog?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Looks like Uncle Sam wants. . . a Hot Dog?

With no fillers!

3 weeks later
#57 5 years ago

Psilocybin Cubensis
Look up 'stoned ape hypothesis' or watch this with Paul Stamets...

Neurogenesis of the brain!

#58 5 years ago

I like the white mushrooms sold in the store. I prefer them over the Shitakes.

Yes, I know that are propagated in a steaming pile of horse hockey.

I would like to try the morels if I knew someone who know what to pick.

#59 5 years ago

Sadly, just like spring (or so it seems), mushroom season has come and gone.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I would like to try the morels if I knew someone who know what to pick.

Morels have a very distinct look. Here is a small patch of this years findings.

IMG_7571 (resized).JPGIMG_7571 (resized).JPG

IMG_7574 (resized).JPGIMG_7574 (resized).JPG

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Psilocybin Cubensis
Look up 'stoned ape hypothesis' or watch this with Paul Stamets...
» YouTube video
Neurogenesis of the brain!

This is absolutely worth the time to watch it. It's also available wherever you listen to your podcasts.

10 months later
#61 5 years ago

Here are some of my first morels of the season. Have you guys found any yet this year?

IMG_20190419_094028 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_094028 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_094039 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_094039 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_102204 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_102204 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_112638 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_112638 (resized).jpg
#62 5 years ago

Shroomin’ is the best....just make sure you are with the right crowd, or it can make for a long night!

#63 5 years ago

Headed into the woods in search of a honeybee swarm that was there last night. I think I shall get some mushroom while I'm out there.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Here are some of my first morels of the season. Have you guys found any yet this year?

Nice!

I was just thinking the time "feels" right to start looking. I always used to use Mother's Day as a time to start but the shrooms have been popping out earlier last couple years. I will probably venture out sometime this weekend.

#65 5 years ago

I pick alot of mushrooms actually, being born on a farm out in the woods kinda makes you a nature boi LOL

Mom taught me most of the good 'shrooms to pick and to cook, even a couple of the dangerous(but edible) ones. I still suck at doing that supergood morel sauce only she can get right, perfect for some oven cooked potatoes, salad and elkmeat.

Btw, are your morels poisonous like here in Sweden? here you have to cook them 3 times to get the poison out.

#66 5 years ago

Always just cook them once. I think they have hydrazine in a raw state.

#67 5 years ago

Day 2: We had about 3.5 inches of rain since yesterday.

MVIMG_20190420_201752 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190420_201752 (resized).jpg
#68 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Nice!
I was just thinking the time "feels" right to start looking. I always used to use Mother's Day as a time to start but the shrooms have been popping out earlier last couple years. I will probably venture out sometime this weekend.

We have had several days in the 60s to 70s range and quite a bit of rain. I found a new spot this year which is always awesome.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I pick alot of mushrooms actually, being born on a farm out in the woods kinda makes you a nature boi LOL
Mom taught me most of the good 'shrooms to pick and to cook, even a couple of the dangerous(but edible) ones. I still suck at doing that supergood morel sauce only she can get right, perfect for some oven cooked potatoes, salad and elkmeat.
Btw, are your morels poisonous like here in Sweden? here you have to cook them 3 times to get the poison out.

I rinse mine and fry them either breaded or in olive oil and some butter. I ate several yesterday with no problems.

#70 5 years ago

I've been eating specialty store bought and taking lion's mane capsules 2 times a day for 3 months now.
My Multiple sclerosis symptoms have almost reduced to nothing now, since I started on them.
Waiting on my next MRI in June's results.

After completely changing my diet to remove
Gluten, dairy, soy, legumes and all GMO foods. I improved about 60%. After starting on lion's mane I would say I'm at about 90%.

Mushrooms are amazing!!

Screenshot_20190421-024958 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190421-024958 (resized).png
#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I rinse mine and fry them either breaded or in olive oil and some butter. I ate several yesterday with no problems.

if you do that with our morels you'll get seriously sick LOL

#73 5 years ago

Found another good patch today.

MVIMG_20190421_125711 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190421_125711 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#74 4 years ago

Finally had a chance to venture out today and locate a couple Morels. I believe the right ones are black morels and the left ones are white morels.

Found a couple areas that I will have to return to later in the week as the mushrooms are just popping up and need to grow a bit more. They were/are the size of the two at the upper left corner, I only took those because a small woodland creature knocked those over and they were loose on the ground.

5J5A9979 (resized).JPG5J5A9979 (resized).JPG
#75 4 years ago

Too many nooks and crannies for things to hide in. So eating would be out of the question.

Maybe you could bathe with them? Like a sea sponge with a built-in handle.

A4E63297-98AD-4EB7-B878-E4707C42A4F8 (resized).jpegA4E63297-98AD-4EB7-B878-E4707C42A4F8 (resized).jpeg

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

if you do that with our morels you'll get seriously sick LOL

Really? Never been sick from them but make sure the stems are hollow. The ones with solid stems are the fake ones.

#77 4 years ago

Here's what showed up today in eastern Iowa, just north of I-80. Mostly grays, a few yellows, all in one cluster. Weather's been miserable lately, rarely above 60, so I'm surprised they've popped already.

0502191732[1] (resized).jpg0502191732[1] (resized).jpg
#78 4 years ago

Morels and Chanterelles are our specialty in Northern Sask. But need about another 2 months before they come up. Chanterelles are big money up here and get shipped all over the globe

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/chanterelle-mushrooms-jewels-from-northern-saskatchewan-forests

#79 4 years ago

I’m gonna hit my honey-hole Saturday morning.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Who likes mushrooms?
Probably the same people who ate dirt as little kids. I'm guessing it's a subliminal nostalgic craving for things that taste like dirt.
So if you like to eat dirt then you probably like mushrooms.
Normal people think they are fucking disgusting.

I might be a year late seeing this, but now I can no longer take anything you say seriously. What a ludicrous statement. I f'ing HATE raw onions, but I don't need to act like a douche to people that like them.

#81 4 years ago

I have some log sections I was going to try to innoculate and place in the woods behind my house. I guess I'm a little too late. I thought you needed old logs?

https://www.ashevillefungi.com/blogs/news/inoculating-logs-by-mushroom-species

#82 4 years ago

Well, I certainly don't have to go far to pick the morels; they grow literally two feet from my front stoop. Last year I picked maybe 8 large ones, and left about 4 to stand until they melted away. Wasn't sure if picking them would discourage them from coming back again. This year I count only 5 small ones, but it is still early and very cool this spring. One was coming right out of the edge of the walkway. When they get bigger I'll take some pics.

Also get the amanita muscaria var. guessowii every year now about 20' away from the steps for about 7 years maybe. This fall there were at least 30 or 40. Only way I can think all these different schrooms came about is that the deer seem to hang out here every winter- maybe their dung has the spores?
Of course I never eat, or even touch these. They look great though. Something eats them, chunks are usually taken out of some after a few days.

#83 4 years ago

A cell phone pic from a patch I found yesterday.

2019 Morels (resized).jpg2019 Morels (resized).jpg

Quoted from browbeeter:

Last year I picked maybe 8 large ones, and left about 4 to stand until they melted away. Wasn't sure if picking them would discourage them from coming back again.

I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I always leave about 30% of the mushrooms when I find them. If nothing else I feel better that they have a chance to spread spores the natural way. I will throw the ones I collect in an onion bag to allow any spores to fall out as I walk along. After rinsing the mushrooms before cooking I'll dump the water in strategic locations -- several areas have actually resulted in more growing the next year!

#84 4 years ago

Pinside's "match up" or shopping function amuses me

This thread is about mushrooms. And that the bottom of the page is a listing for a Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 10.27.06 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-06 at 10.27.06 AM (resized).png

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I've been eating specialty store bought and taking lion's mane capsules 2 times a day for 3 months now.
My Multiple sclerosis symptoms have almost reduced to nothing now, since I started on them.
Waiting on my next MRI in June's results.
After completely changing my diet to remove
Gluten, dairy, soy, legumes and all GMO foods. I improved about 60%. After starting on lion's mane I would say I'm at about 90%.
Mushrooms are amazing!! [quoted image]

That is great news. Please keep us up to date. I am going to add Lion's Mane to my diet as it may prevent or delay Alzheimer's. My mother passed away last year after 3 years with that terrible disease.

We live on 7 acres with woods of many old white oaks and other trees. I am going to plug some logs and try to grow Lion's Mane. I have been foraging on our property for other mushrooms and enjoying Oysters, Chicken, and Hen of the Woods for years. We get a few morels and giant puffballs which are tasty as well. I have passed on the occasional psilocybin mushrooms that pop up but might give them a try in the future as I become more educated about them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-mushrooms/page/2?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.