IMG_20190419_112638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190419_102204 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190419_094039 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190419_094028 (resized).jpg
IMG_7574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7571 (resized).JPG
hqdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Was not thinking hallucinogenic or the psychedelic varieties, but if that is what you are into post about it .

I was thinking of Morels. Around this time each year I venture out and try to find them. This year has been colder so the hunt has been delayed -- optimal conditions are warmer temps and rain. Usually before Mother's Day is a good time to start looking in my area. Pictures from last year:

IMG_6844 (resized).JPGIMG_6844 (resized).JPG

IMG_6849 (resized).JPGIMG_6849 (resized).JPG

Roll them in flour, fry them in butter. . . delicious as is or add them to eggs, steak, a burger, etc.

Mushrooms (resized).jpgMushrooms (resized).jpg

Been on Pinside long enough to know its best to get a few things out of the way:

1. There is a Fungus Among Us
2. John Wort likes Mushrooms
3. Its best to mushroom hunt in Cowboy Boots
4. Shrooms are good on free Little Caesars Pizza
5. Most wild Mushrooms are NOT safe to eat -- Don't go out pickin and eatin because I said it was ok.

Bring on the rest!

#2 6 years ago

Probably good to include some reading material:

https://untamedfeast.com/morel-mushrooms/

#3 6 years ago

Ehh, not a fan

#4 6 years ago

I have never developed a taste for mushrooms.

How would you describe Morels taste as you prepare?

I've grown, enjoyed tea in Jamaica, and have a friend that grows extreme.....not sure why
I can't enjoy......anyone else?

MV5BODYxMGFkYTAtNDQwOS00ODc0LWE3NDktZGQ5MWUxOGFiMjgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BODYxMGFkYTAtNDQwOS00ODc0LWE3NDktZGQ5MWUxOGFiMjgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

They grow on our property up north every year. Dusted with flour and cooked on the grill sautéed in butter. Nice steak cooking next to them and joined when finished. Always a treat in the sping.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How would you describe Morels taste as you prepare?

Morels have a unique taste and texture -- some have described it as a steak like flavor (why not just eat a steak, right?).

Its one of those unique flavors that I look forward to once a year -- like fried cheese curds at the fair, fresh maple syrup at the end of winter, cherries off the tree in summer. . .

#7 6 years ago

I'll have to try.

After all, microscopic mushrooms saved my life, and is reversing arterial disease in me!

#8 6 years ago

Love mushrooms on pizza!!

#9 6 years ago

My friends at work hunt Morels and give me some sometimes.
I like to make creamy soup with white wine, potatoes and leak in it, so good I eat it with bread to savor the flavor!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What time of year are they fresh?
I'll have to try.

This is a book that floats around our house,

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

A lot of information from when/where to look (usually when the ground starts to warm up in spring), what is safe and what is not, how to prepare them, etc.

I am confident looking for morels because they have a unique look -- my grandpa used to take me out with him and would know all different kinds good and bad but they all sorta looked the same to me. One bad mushroom can make you sick or worse. . .

#11 6 years ago

The fake morals have solid stems, while the real ones have a hollow stem.

#12 6 years ago

One time while going to a friend of my Dads in 1975. We were driving along a country road south of Owen Sound Ontario. Dad, yells out, "Hang On". We came to quick stop, he runs over to the ditch, and starts picking Morels. He brought almost 2 dozen to the car. Mom and I were both bit confused. Dad talked on about these mushrooms for an eternity. At the farm we went to, later that day we had the Morels with our BBQ steaks. Dad was a Chef, so he said he knew what he was picking.

Free food from the side of the road Yum!

#13 6 years ago

Just make sure you know what you are picking. Eat the wrong type and it can be very bad news for you.

#14 6 years ago

There is no way I would every eat a mushroom unless it is bought in the store.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

?? It’s pretty easy to identify several popular edible mushrooms. Morels are pretty unique. I hate mushrooms but love trying to find them .. go figure

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

why?

Easy to identify the good ones and YUM!

#17 6 years ago

I love Morels but rarely get them. My dad used to take me and my sister hunting for them every Spring. He said we were low to the ground so we could find them better. Wish I knew when and where to hut them like he did. They are a rare treat. Every once in awhile I'll get one growing in my yard. We have elm trees and apparently they do well near them.

Last year I bought a small rental house and it had a big clump of hen of the woods on the tree out front. Never had those before.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

At the farm we went to, later that day we had the Morels with our BBQ steaks. Dad was a Chef, so he said he knew what he was picking.

What a nice story. I wish I had good "dad" stories like this.

#19 6 years ago

Tractordoc, I'm from near you (West Salem) and loved hunting mushrooms when I lived there. The best place in the west Salem area I found was the woods of shady acres campground just off of 42. We always used mushroom bags when we hunted there to spread all of the spores there for next year.

#20 6 years ago

Love Morels. Been hunting them ever since I was a kid in the 70's.

#21 6 years ago

Yuk!! None for me thanks. But to each his own!! So those that like them, please enjoy!!

#22 6 years ago

What did the girl mushroom say to the guy mushroom?
"You sure are a fun guy"

#23 6 years ago

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You do realize that a lot of those mushrooms from the store are grown on large beds of manure, right?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Tractordoc, I'm from near you (West Salem) and loved hunting mushrooms when I lived there. The best place in the west Salem area I found was the woods of shady acres campground just off of 42. We always used mushroom bags when we hunted there to spread all of the spores there for next year.

Not far from me at all!

One of the best places to find a grove of morels is near the base of an elm tree that had died the year before. Probably the only advantage brought on by the Dutch Elm Dz, but the big old elm trees are disappearing fast. Old onion bags also work great when gathering and I always dump the water I've soaked them in near the base of an elm tree to try and keep them coming back.

#26 6 years ago

i eat one kind or another almost every day. it helps that i live in the
Mushroom Capital of the World
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennett_Square,_Pennsylvania

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

You do realize that a lot of those mushrooms from the store are grown on large beds of manure, right?

Yes. Don't get me wrong, I love mushrooms. The white/button type have shown to have incredible impacts to our immune system.

I just wouldn't eat anything I just found in the forest under my boot.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Bring on the rest!

Dimpled mushrooms!

#29 6 years ago

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once

I always wanted to go picking. For some reason I find mushrooms and truffles fascinating.

#30 6 years ago

Morels are my favorite type of hunting. I'm looking forward to this season!

#31 6 years ago

STOP EATING THE GNOMES HOUSES YOU BARBARIC SAVAGES!!!!

#32 6 years ago

Who likes mushrooms?
Probably the same people who ate dirt as little kids. I'm guessing it's a subliminal nostalgic craving for things that taste like dirt.
So if you like to eat dirt then you probably like mushrooms.
Normal people think they are fucking disgusting.

#33 6 years ago

Anyone hunt psychedelic shrooms?

#34 6 years ago

ooOOOoo, Nice!

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

This guy

3c4d52f6a78e7fcb691a27cdfbd8f975 (resized).jpg3c4d52f6a78e7fcb691a27cdfbd8f975 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

The smell of onions and mushrooms being cooked for the stuffing at thanksgiving and Christmas is a smell etched in my brain.
A homemade Steak and mushroom pizza with a white sauce is near perfection.
Mushroom turnovers are a favorite also but I like em chocolate covered the best

#37 6 years ago

My family hunted morels every spring when I was a child. Now I grow Shiitakes. They have great medicinal and nutritional properties.

There are some good youtube interviews of Paul Stammets , a leading mycologist. Very interesting stuff.

IMG_0166 (resized).JPGIMG_0166 (resized).JPG

IMG_0160 (resized).JPGIMG_0160 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

Wild... Only like Shaggy Manes

Folks liked to pick Morels, Chicken, Oysters and Chantrels

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

A long time ago... and they are much better than dried ones which I’ve found to be one of the grossest things I’ve tried eating

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

No. Just Colorado River Toads.

LTG : )

#41 6 years ago

Morels in a cream sauce over Steak and Shrimp. Sautéed Hen of The Woods

6F898043-4114-4001-907B-51314C09E287 (resized).jpeg6F898043-4114-4001-907B-51314C09E287 (resized).jpeg

E9E692D5-583F-468C-AD2D-D4D6B52F8406 (resized).jpegE9E692D5-583F-468C-AD2D-D4D6B52F8406 (resized).jpeg

21347BFF-0C0E-448C-BE5A-80CF1A87C828 (resized).jpeg21347BFF-0C0E-448C-BE5A-80CF1A87C828 (resized).jpeg

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No. Just Colorado River Toads.

Even I draw the line at toad licking!

#43 6 years ago

TheGunnett -- that looks fantastic (are you loading pictures up to insta-chat?). What time can we be over for supper?

2 weeks later
#44 5 years ago

This is our best haul this season in Southern Indiana.

MVIMG_20180428_153933 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180428_153933 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180427_182115 (resized).jpgIMG_20180427_182115 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180427_181910 (resized).jpgIMG_20180427_181910 (resized).jpg

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

This is our best haul this season in Southern Indiana.

Nice!

Went out looking today but nothing in the usual places. It almost looks too dry of all things. Hopefully a few will pop out over the next couple days.

#46 5 years ago

my wife says I do not have any morels, or is it morals.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

my wife says I do not have any morels, or is it morals.

Two Iditarod racers were side by side and the sleds kept hitting each other. Hey, said one of them, how about some mush room?

#48 5 years ago

Three more bigguns

MVIMG_20180503_165437 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180503_165437 (resized).jpg

#49 5 years ago

beguiled (resized).jpgbeguiled (resized).jpg

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Nice!
Went out looking today but nothing in the usual places. It almost looks too dry of all things. Hopefully a few will pop out over the next couple days.

All of ours this year have been the yellows. All of them have been near the creek. We never found a single black or gray mushroom. We have had plenty of rain but the temperatures have been all over the place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-mushrooms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.