Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinfixer
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you like better?”

• Restoring / fixing games 103 votes
      53%
    • Playing games 51 votes
      26%
    • The thrill of buying a new game 17 votes
      9%
    • Bacon! 23 votes
      12%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200429_071628 (resized).jpg
    20200429_074046 (resized).jpg
    20200102_124038 (resized).jpg
    20200102_124114 (resized).jpg
    funny-memes-bacon-healthier-than-crystal-meth (resized).jpeg
    after-indy (resized).jpg
    before-indy (resized).jpg
    C40E65E0-AEEF-451D-8128-ECA1B4640F0F (resized).jpeg
    7DC1889A-C42F-45FC-8913-AF8057320663 (resized).jpeg
    58C8A0FE-98FB-4FB3-9E57-30A9EE8697B6 (resized).jpeg
    D98359C2-704B-4E4B-B523-33BC9C7F88BA (resized).jpeg
    2DB58360-369B-410B-8AA3-F43C611A5A24 (resized).jpeg
    5796CABE-04F7-4DE5-8604-EB720D747263 (resized).jpeg
    47589A89-3DB1-4F6F-8875-0715AF9E4548 (resized).jpeg
    00D6F22D-97BB-4A48-A7A9-B81EA6AE89E7 (resized).jpeg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I love to play pinball, but lately I have come to enjoy cleaning, repairing and just bringing stuff back to nice condition. I realized this yesterday when working on a MixMaster assembly from a Dr. Dude.

There’s just something as a hobbyist in making things look nice again and play as they should. I am not talking HEP restoration, that’s a whole other level. Just basic stuff that makes a difference.

Is anyone else like this or am I crazy?

Oh and a before / after of the Mixmaster

Chris

00D6F22D-97BB-4A48-A7A9-B81EA6AE89E7 (resized).jpeg00D6F22D-97BB-4A48-A7A9-B81EA6AE89E7 (resized).jpeg47589A89-3DB1-4F6F-8875-0715AF9E4548 (resized).jpeg47589A89-3DB1-4F6F-8875-0715AF9E4548 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Not crazy at all... I'm pretty sure I fall into that camp.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Not crazy at all... I'm pretty sure I fall into that camp.

Ditto.

#4 3 years ago

I can spend 20 hours cleaning and fixing a game, play it 3 times, and then sell it. It's just relaxing ripping apart a playfield and cleaning it.
    You should have put up a poll.

#5 3 years ago

I’m starting to work on them more than playing and love it. I find it very relaxing and a great distraction from other stuff going on that’s not so great.
    And I love a good before and after shot to see the progress. This is one of my more involved projects.

2DB58360-369B-410B-8AA3-F43C611A5A24 (resized).jpeg2DB58360-369B-410B-8AA3-F43C611A5A24 (resized).jpeg5796CABE-04F7-4DE5-8604-EB720D747263 (resized).jpeg5796CABE-04F7-4DE5-8604-EB720D747263 (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago

You're not crazy. There's a reason why a lot of pinheads are engineering types. I'm still fascinated by what makes these games tick (especially the 80s/90s era) ...and diagnosing and fixing issues is both fun and frustrating at the same time.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I can spend 20 hours cleaning and fixing a game, play it 3 times, and then sell it. It's just relaxing ripping apart a playfield and cleaning it.
    You should have put up a poll.

Poll added!!

#8 3 years ago

I love playing, but fixing and restoring is what keeps my interest in the hobby. If it was only playing, I would get bored rather quickly. I suppose that is why the NIB buyers cycle through games so fast.

#9 3 years ago

There’s a huge difference between playing a game you bought fully working vs. playing a game you’ve brought back from the dead and restored.

And a couple before and after pics....
    58C8A0FE-98FB-4FB3-9E57-30A9EE8697B6 (resized).jpeg58C8A0FE-98FB-4FB3-9E57-30A9EE8697B6 (resized).jpegD98359C2-704B-4E4B-B523-33BC9C7F88BA (resized).jpegD98359C2-704B-4E4B-B523-33BC9C7F88BA (resized).jpeg7DC1889A-C42F-45FC-8913-AF8057320663 (resized).jpeg7DC1889A-C42F-45FC-8913-AF8057320663 (resized).jpeg

C40E65E0-AEEF-451D-8128-ECA1B4640F0F (resized).jpegC40E65E0-AEEF-451D-8128-ECA1B4640F0F (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

Okay. Now you're making me choose between the purchase, the fix up, and bacon...that's just mean.

#11 3 years ago

I'm solidly in this category too. I've always enjoyed finding abused, broken, abandoned
    pinball machines and the process of bringing them back to life. Its a very rewarding
    personal challenge. Playing a game you restored is far more fun IMO.
    Anyone can open their wallet and plunk down a few kilobucks for new or
    overpriced pins but few can polish a turd.
    Steve

#12 3 years ago

I dont like to fix more than i play, but I still end up spending more time fixing than playing....

#13 3 years ago

You people are masochists! But we thank you.

#14 3 years ago

before-indy (resized).jpgbefore-indy (resized).jpg

after-indy (resized).jpgafter-indy (resized).jpg
    #15 3 years ago

boy I love me some BACON!!!!

well I do have to admit. I am not an engineer or a tech guy. Just a guy that enjoys playing games. I have been buying broke games because I can afford that. now that i have been in the hobby for a while, I have learned so much and get some great gratification when i bring back a game to life. Then after ripping it apart and making it shine again just makes me smile when walk by it.

#16 3 years ago

I'm an engineer and I like fixing all kinds of things. Pinball machines are like a hobby. There is a certain satisfaction from having something on the machine not working properly, fixing that, and then seeing the results. I'm not that much into restoring old machines. That is more like a labor of love, that is not something that I would do first. Replacing broken parts or repairing wiring errors and such, is something I can get into. Just like on cars, I can replace anything broken or not working properly. Restoring old cars is a lot more work that I am not willing to do.

#17 3 years ago

I barely ever play my pins. Much rather be fixing them. It's what I enjoy.

#18 3 years ago

I definitely fall into that camp. Look at how many of my started threads say **-FIXED-** in front of them. I love working on them.

If you can fix them, you can play them. The converse is not necessarily true.

Anyone can throw their money around, have an A-list B/W collection, or buy every new Stern and JJP to keep up with the Jonses.

#19 3 years ago

I like fixing more than playing

#20 3 years ago

I am in this group. I am currently working on restoring a skateball and a meteor at the same time.

#21 3 years ago

I'm no engineer but I like to turn nuts, bolts and screws. Before this, I did car stuff. This is much different than car stuff, but it scratches the same itch.

#22 3 years ago

Playing, well I've usually had enough after about 30 min to an hour.
    Restoring never gets boring. I have no idea why taking something apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together makes me happy, but it does.

#23 3 years ago

I love helping Steve Young stay in business. Just finished a "Card Whiz", onto a "Surfer" restore
    It's a great feeling when you can bring a pin back from the dead.

#24 3 years ago

I think I enjoy fixing them more than playing, with the exception of my latest acquisition, Seawitch.
    Honestly, I’m a bit annoyed with myself because I spent hours and hours fixing games but once it’s done I rarely play them!

#25 3 years ago

Im the opposite of most of you guys. I buy these games to play em and do not really enjoy the other aspects. Its just another chore for me to do in my mind...

I get the reward of fixing things though...

#26 3 years ago

You are SURROUNDED by like-minded individuals - fixing of course... that's not to say I don't like playing... or bacon.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You people are masochists! But we thank you.

You are not wrong. The amount of work involved in the latest restoration of Freefall was excruciating.

#28 3 years ago

Fix more than play any day of the week.

#29 3 years ago

Let's see, I do full blown restores, have a two pin collection, one of which is for sale, what does that say about me?

I'm a fixer upper! Wait, that came out wrong.

#30 3 years ago

Still trying to decide which one to vote for. I love scoring a multi game deal with a few fixer uppers. Then I get to do the work which is fun. My business is pinballs and vending. My wife dosent like it when I work because I have too much fun doing it. And then I see things like this and it makes it hard to choose.

funny-memes-bacon-healthier-than-crystal-meth (resized).jpegfunny-memes-bacon-healthier-than-crystal-meth (resized).jpeg
    #31 3 years ago

I love playing and working on projects about equally. I like the "fixing" part less when the project part is over and something randomly stops working or breaks. When it goes from fixing something for fun as a project vs. fixing something to avoid having an unplayable game in the lineup it can be a bit frustrating, but it comes with the territory.

#32 3 years ago

I wish I could fix as much as I play. I’ve been in search for a good project pin, but, as everyone here knows, they are hard to come by. One of these days...

#33 3 years ago

I'd love a real dirt bag of an Addams Family to restore.

#34 3 years ago

I like playing. It is fun.

Who wants to come over and fix the ones I can't play since they are broken? If it's so much fun, that is.

I'll stay 6 feet away! Or we can schedule it for later when things quiet down. I'm flexible.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I like playing. It is fun.
    Who wants to come over and fix the ones I can't play since they are broken? If it's so much fun, that is.
    I'll stay 6 feet away! Or we can schedule it for later when things quiet down. I'm flexible.

Im with ya. Anyone who wants extra enjoyment can certainly come fix my issues when they pop up!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

I'm solidly in this category too. I've always enjoyed finding abused, broken, abandoned
    pinball machines and the process of bringing them back to life. Its a very rewarding
    personal challenge. Playing a game you restored is far more fun IMO.

Bingo! The game is sweeter when you have brought it back to life.

#37 3 years ago

I used to like fixing pins when projects used to be cheaper. Now everything gets snatched up so quickly and at higher prices...I just stopped chasing. Occasionally I will luck into a project and remember how fun it is to work on pins again. Reminds me I need to find a summer project!

#38 3 years ago

I used to be this guy and got burnt out. I would get every cool project I could get my hands on. I got real good at going over games and fixing anything I came across.
    These days I enjoy casually playing and focusing on greenfield projects. Sometimes a little thing that needs adjusting will persist for weeks because I don't want to take off the glass.

Projects are still appealing because I'm so frugal, but trying to only get stuff that I'll end up keeping.
    Flipping stuff to make a buck is cool, but ultimately not worth the time that could be spent elsewhere (for me).
    Still waiting for a ratty FH or CFTBL to show up and do a complete restoration on it!

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I'd love a real dirt bag of an Addams Family to restore.

Quoted from dudah:

I used to be this guy and got burnt out. I would get every cool project I could get my hands on. I got real good at going over games and fixing anything I came across.
    These days I enjoy casually playing and focusing on greenfield projects. Sometimes a little thing that needs adjusting will persist for weeks because I don't want to take off the glass.
    Projects are still appealing because I'm so frugal, but trying to only get stuff that I'll end up keeping.
    Flipping stuff to make a buck is cool, but ultimately not worth the time that could be spent elsewhere (for me).
    Still waiting for a ratty FH or CFTBL to show up and do a complete restoration on it!

Who wouldn't want to find a blown out (insert your game here.) Problem now is no matter how beat down a game is, somebody does a half ass shop job and thinks it's worth just a few hundred under pinside average.

#40 3 years ago

What?! There's no choice that says I like it all?!

I guess that choice must be bacon since everyone likes bacon

#41 3 years ago

I fix more than play. Its therapeutic.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Who wouldn't want to find a blown out (insert your game here.) Problem now is no matter how beat down a game is, somebody does a half ass shop job and thinks it's worth just a few hundred under pinside average.

Love seeing ads with "worth xxx when restored"

And? As it sits not worth a 1/4 of that if not less.

#43 3 years ago

Kinda the opposite for me---US.. ..... I love to play ... I am horrible at fixing games and understanding the workings.... I try and then get frustrated.. and give up...BAD.....

So anyone in the area come on over and fix away...Please Teach us the way of the pinball machine,,,.,.,..I have plenty of working games and some needing attention... Can pay or trade for ???? Food Drinks..etc.... Friendship.... Nick.

Congrats to the peeps that this kind of thing comes easy..... NT.

#44 3 years ago

I probably spend 20 hours fixing to each hour playing. If I factored my time in each of the last 3 games I brought back from the dead, my labor rate was maybe $5 an hour if that. But the satisfaction of getting another project game up and running again make it worthwhile.

#45 3 years ago

I really like fixing pinballs, as long as it isnt complicated electrical problems like a broken circuit board. Its very rewarding seeing a dusty game that plays bad end up in great shape.

Every new game I buy gets a complete teardown on the upside and all assemblys on the downside get properly cleaned. It often take weeks before I can play it.

The only thing I hate is fixing pop bumpers, screw them.

#46 3 years ago

They are very enjoyable fixing up because they have many skills involved and it's all in a single project. You have wood shop, metal shop, painting/art of the playfield, and electronics/electrical work.

#47 3 years ago

I enjoy 'restoring/fixing' to a point. The problem is the big project severely take my playing time down.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I'm an engineer and I like fixing all kinds of things. Pinball machines are like a hobby. There is a certain satisfaction from having something on the machine not working properly, fixing that, and then seeing the results. I'm not that much into restoring old machines. That is more like a labor of love, that is not something that I would do first. Replacing broken parts or repairing wiring errors and such, is something I can get into. Just like on cars, I can replace anything broken or not working properly. Restoring old cars is a lot more work that I am not willing to do.

I do both. Mechanic by trade and livelihood, been restoring pins since 2006. Restoring cars is much greasier, lots of fluids, but you get to drive em. Pins are cleaner but you get to play em.

#50 3 years ago

I have a desk job, so learning to fix and restore pinballs has been a new challenge for me. I really enjoy this side of the hobby. My restoration projects take a long time though. I start working on a game and then end up playing the game next to it. If only I could multitask.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-fixing-more-than-playing?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.