Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BK2K_002.JPG
Black_Rose_#3.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I've only gotten a chance to play it once so far, and I seem to be hooked. I love the theme, the innovative playfield, and speech. I definitely need to spend more time learning the rules. It kills me how I can only make it out to the arcade every 2 months or so!

So what are your thoughts on Black Rose? It seems like one of those underappreciated titles that deserves more attention.

#2 8 years ago

Fricken love that game especially if the cannon is working properly. One of the most underrated pins. I want one.

#3 8 years ago

I like it somewhat, my buddy Dave owns it. However it is a bit "clunky" and I hate the design of the leveling mechanism for the canon. Also having that big circle plastic piece right above your flippers can really mess up the shots and it's very prone to wear.

I'd still buy one for the right price I guess, but having LOTS of time playing it, and fixing it, I'm not the biggest fan..

#4 8 years ago

It's a known fact that the one we have at the local arcade was owned by a country singer. It was kept right next to the window though so the right side of the cabinet is horribly faded.

#5 8 years ago

And he still wants 2500.. bah! I'd give 1500 now if he'd let it come home with me. You could come over and play it for free Crash.

#6 8 years ago

My buddy got his for 1400CAN

#7 8 years ago

I love it, played the hell out of it at PAPA, I'm not sure if it has lasting power, but I spent some serious impulse tokens on it.

#8 8 years ago

I think B_R does

#9 8 years ago

I saw someone comment on that on their Facebook page mystic. The guy said, "I could also ask $10k for my 1992 Honda but I don't think I'll get that either." The response was, "We're a retailer. $2500 is about right for a retailer."

That's true, but they ARE the last arcade in the state. And since it makes a lot of sense to keep things local, what collector would give that much?

#10 8 years ago

Other than being kinda hard to understand due to his rednecky Southern drawl, I think he's pretty cool. Oh wait, we're talking about the pin...

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The guy said, "I could also ask $10k for my 1992 Honda but I don't think I'll get that either."

That'd be my comment on their Facebook page... guilty.

#12 8 years ago

Which Black Rose? I work in horticulture and during a search clicked on a link that said black rose hoping to find a new plant. It wasn't a plant it was a naked person. Great build quality!

If your talking about the pinball machine, the sound and quick drains put me off when I first played it but once you zero in on the shots it seems OK. I need to play it more.

#13 8 years ago

I've Owned BR 3-Times and Will again & again !!! Here's a couple video's of my Last BR ..

Then with All Red as they should be during cannon mode,,

Black_Rose_#3.jpg BK2K_002.JPG

#14 8 years ago

I think it's great. And it should STAY underappreciated so prices don't skyrocket :p

#15 8 years ago

I quickly learned how easy it is to open Davy Jones' Locker and get a shot at the cannon. I'm sure this is a misadjustment, but on the game I played just the right plunge would send the ball straight into the locker if it was open. This one should be called the swashbuckler's skillshot!

#16 8 years ago

I have always wanted a BR, I love the theme and the game play is darn good. I love the transitional cabinet, the old school speakers/head with a DMD is a very interesting look. I would jump on one if it became available in my area.

#17 8 years ago

Had my heart set on getting it. I was bummed when I looked at one for 1300 and it was sorta a mess. The cannon was set wrong for what looks like a long time and the eject from it had chipped the playfield to hell.

There's another one near me for $1500. Maybe if I can get one of my pins sold I will make an offer on it.

#18 8 years ago

Yea cannon wear is common on them ;(

#19 8 years ago

Here's some well-lit arcade footage. Not a bad 3 games if I say so myself!

#t=21m48s

#20 8 years ago

We had a beaten up one operated in the 904 here for a while.
I first played the game last year at the Seattle pinball convention and enjoyed it.
BR's on here's machine is the nicest one I've played so far.

#21 8 years ago

Just an okay game to me. I still feel like nobody has really nailed a pirate themed pinball, although the pirate theme has probably jumped the shark by now anyway.

#22 8 years ago

Looking back at the video plunging the ball into the locker is normal, and it actually is a skill shot. Very satisfying though.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

Just an okay game to me.

Yea I am not too much of a fan of it either. Could have been much better.

#24 8 years ago

Black Rose is a cool pin, I'd get one if I could afford it....

#25 8 years ago

Main reason I think that it's not well regarded is that cannon wear problem, and the giant plastic circle on the PF in front of the flippers. I think it would be a much better machine if they did the cannon like Stern did with Austin Powers (I know, saying Bally got it wrong and Stern got it right - obviously, Stern simply learned from Bally's mistake)

#26 8 years ago

I also just recent played this game for the first time and was quite surprised by it.

Only knocks I've heard on it are rules & longevity.

Had a lot of fun on it though.

Must get more time in on it.

#27 8 years ago

He seems like a good guy. Never met him in person tho.

Oh wait ..... the machine

#28 8 years ago

Actually Black Rose is a... oh, Mark.

#29 8 years ago

Wait - a Black Rose with no cabinet fade? What devilry is this!?

I always liked the game myself, it reminds me of Swords Of Fury for some unknown reason, I think some of the sound effects might have helped that.

#30 8 years ago

Love it! Though it kicks my ass quite often, it can be very fun when you get to experience all of the features in a single game.

Quoted from Crash:

Looking back at the video plunging the ball into the locker is normal, and it actually is a skill shot. Very satisfying though.

Actually the game considers the skill shot is when you hit any of the three yellow targets under the locker from the plunger shot, which opens the locker. It takes about a quarter pull or less. A full pull or close to it should send the ball up the ramp or into the locker if it is open. You can also open the locker by going up the ramp from the plunger, and when it comes back around hit it up the ramp again with the upper flipper. Then you can hit it into the locker when it comes back around again, that is the funnest way to do it.

#31 8 years ago

I got to play it for the first time today and I really liked it. Got to play a good 10+ games on it and really got into a groove with it. The cannon is not the most accurate which caused a little frustration but I bet if you owned one you would learn exactly when to fire it. Has some very amusing video modes too.

#32 8 years ago

I can Rock & Roll on some Black Rose .. I have the Guy's over All the Tyme..

TechnoBarn , Wolfy , Trident , Shanetastic , Seth , etc,,,,,,, Bring a Cooler Full

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside