(Topic ID: 247872)

Who likes amusement parks?

By JohnnyPinball007

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What chain of amusement parks do you like best?”

• Six Flags 13 votes
      19%
    • Cedar Fair 20 votes
      29%
    • Disney 36 votes
      52%

(69 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (2) (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    knotts (resized).jpg
    cycle_chase_2_283 (resized).jpg
    3de19c797297b366fbb20b8c64747c5a (resized).jpg
    chase_cycle (resized).jpg
    61E4C6E1-2B53-423E-BB5D-31801F4D0D90 (resized).jpeg
    43796432-8171-440C-A173-D162B4D1BA4E (resized).jpeg
    image.gif
    QuarrelsomeLittleFalcon-size_restricted.gif
    MVIMG_20180717_191818-EFFECTS (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#159 4 years ago

I use to take the kids on amusement park vacations. Once was almost 2 weeks of nothing but solid parks from early in the morning til late at night. I would buy a Six Flags season pass at the cheapest park around (prices vary significantly). Then with the cheap season passes - we could visit any Six Flags park for free with the exception of the outrageous parking fees. So off we would go, hitting every park we could find. Besides Six Flags, we did Cedar Point, Sea World, Holiday World, Disney, Universal, Kings Island, Kennywood...and probably a dozen others. I still have all the maps and season passes to this day.

I hate waiting in line, that's no fun. Here's some tips for a great time with a lot less hassle of crowds:

1) Get there when the park first opens...that first hour or so, the park is pretty much yours to pick rides as you please
    2) Go to the back of the park first. Everyone is up front getting on those rides.
    3) Mid-day: Then go to the front of the park. Now everyone else is at the back of the park or eating.
    4) Stay late. The crowds really thin out.
    5) Pick dates between holidays. A lot less people (even true with Universal, Disney not so much due to the international crowd). Right after Thanksgiving is a good time.

Universal Orlando is my favorite park. The rides are just jaw dropping. Not a lot of coasters tho, but the tech they use on the dark rides is seriously cutting edge.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Going to Kings Island tomorrow and Cedar Point Wednesday and Thursday.

Might be a little bit of a drive, but Holiday World is in southern Indiana. Hey, you can pick up a pin from Zach while in the neighborhood!

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

....I think I need to settle down soon and make Universal my go to place

Thanks - you won't be disappointed. Coasters were my favorite for years (and I still ride them), Universal has 3 of them. But Universal's dark rides just knows how to completely fool your senses. On Spiderman, you think you are falling a dozen stories when in fact you're only moving a foot or two, if that. It's really that good despite being nearly 20 years old (but upgraded over the years). 3D 4K projectors, wind, lighting, multi-axis cars, a few sprinkles of water all add up to a lot of fun. On Harry Potter, your seats are actually attached to what is essentially like a robot that they use to build cars, so they can move you every which way for each scene. And in some cases, the movie screen even follows the seats (think of a half circle that is really a screen in front of you and it is following you. When that scene is over, the robot arm you are on then swings around to a new scene. The theming alone probably cost as much as some coasters. Just amazing.

Universal is comprised of Universal and Islands of Adventures (IOA). The best deal is a 3 day pass which also let's you hop between the two parks anytime you want (they are right next to each other). Some nice off site hotel chains within easy walking distance to the parks if you want to save some $$.

We usually hop on an Agilent flight from Fort Wayne in northern Indiana for about $60. Sure beats driving. 2 hrs. later we are in sunny FLA. Interestingly enough, the same time the parks are less busy are some of the cheapest times to fly. Been a few years since we've went down there - a bunch of new rides added since then.

Here's an interesting and short article about the Harry Potter ride mechanicals: https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150319/30063/behind-ride-4-mind-bending-tricks-employed-harry-potter-and-forbidden.

Ditto on your Disney comment. Enjoy Universal a lot more.

1 week later
    #169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

....I was shocked at what a MASSIVE difference there is between the cars in the front of the train vs the cars in the rear of the train. If you ride in the back of the train, I would say the ride is downright smooth! Seriously, for a wooden coaster it's not rough at all.
    In the front of the train, the ride is really rough! Seriously rough. It's actually how I remembered it being when I was a kid...

I wonder if each car can be smooth or rough, depending on the the age of the wheels or bearings - or it really only has to do with location more than anything else (don't know). Beast really is that, a 'beast'. That's one big, long coaster. Always enjoyed riding it at night in the dark since a lot of the ride is out in the woods. Just a completely different experience in the dark.

Glad you had a good time!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-amusement-parks?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.