(Topic ID: 247872)

Who likes amusement parks?

By JohnnyPinball007

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What chain of amusement parks do you like best?”

• Six Flags 13 votes
      19%
    • Cedar Fair 20 votes
      29%
    • Disney 36 votes
      52%

(69 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (2) (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    knotts (resized).jpg
    cycle_chase_2_283 (resized).jpg
    3de19c797297b366fbb20b8c64747c5a (resized).jpg
    chase_cycle (resized).jpg
    61E4C6E1-2B53-423E-BB5D-31801F4D0D90 (resized).jpeg
    43796432-8171-440C-A173-D162B4D1BA4E (resized).jpeg
    image.gif
    QuarrelsomeLittleFalcon-size_restricted.gif
    MVIMG_20180717_191818-EFFECTS (resized).jpg
    There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago

Another awesome thing when kids go back to school the hotels at the beach are half price from what they were July 4th. 8/12 me and my gf will be hitting Panama City Beach for a few days, then going up to Cedar Point for a day, then over to Buffalo, NY to hang with a friend and see the falls and hit the Six Flags there for a couple of days.

When I was a kid I hated school. I still have nightmares that I am in school. I did well in school, I just hated it, bored the hell out of me. NOW that I am older, I love school. Shorter lines at the parks and lower hotel costs.

And this year just doing one day at the best park for coasters.....Cedar Point. Eventually we will get passes there again and do Kings Island and Carowinds again. I like to give parks a few years to do a few new rides and then get a pass again.

I have kept Six Flags passes for years though, one 5 miles away and the dining pass is a awesome value living this close. I do not ride there much, just boring as many times as I have been. I just go for a hour to eat.

#152 4 years ago

Best Way for Pinsiders to Enjoy Florida theme Parks.....Come to IAPPA in November, Enjoy our Local Freeplay Pin show, and the Parks are mostly empty
    before Thanksgiving, its cooler, and the clocks havent changed yet, while the Holiday Lights are also up.
    One of the Best ways to Enjoy so much here going on.

#153 4 years ago

September is definitely a slower month at WDW, but it is still not really all that slow.

As an example, seven dwarfs mine train average wait time in September of 2018 was 58 minutes. During peak hours (11am to 5pm) it was 68 minutes, and during non peak hours it was 51 minutes.

So, yeah, you can go during September and figure you'll have short lines. They will be shorter than busy months.

But personally I don't want to wait in an hour long line to ride that. I'll stick with my own method of planning, which allows me to never wait longer than 15 minutes. And even waiting that long is rare.

My source for those numbers is laughingplace . com. You can look up any ride, any month.

#154 4 years ago

Has anyone tried to use a GoPro on any of the rides at KI or Dollywood? I'm assuming it's not allowed, correct?

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Has anyone tried to use a GoPro on any of the rides at KI or Dollywood? I'm assuming it's not allowed, correct?

Nevermind, I found out they are not allowed on the rides at either park, unless you get special permission.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

then over to Buffalo, NY to hang with a friend and see the falls and hit the Six Flags there for a couple of days.

Are you planning to go to Pocketeer Billiards while you're here? They've got 70 pinball machines.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Are you planning to go to Pocketeer Billiards while you're here? They've got 70 pinball machines.

I only seen a few places with not many machines near where I plan to stay, so I was not planning on any pinball. Thank You very much for the heads up, I will look into making that part of the trip.

Also, if a pinsider is doing SFOG, not much pinball near there, but if I am available, you can shoot me a message about playing some here while in town.

#159 4 years ago

I use to take the kids on amusement park vacations. Once was almost 2 weeks of nothing but solid parks from early in the morning til late at night. I would buy a Six Flags season pass at the cheapest park around (prices vary significantly). Then with the cheap season passes - we could visit any Six Flags park for free with the exception of the outrageous parking fees. So off we would go, hitting every park we could find. Besides Six Flags, we did Cedar Point, Sea World, Holiday World, Disney, Universal, Kings Island, Kennywood...and probably a dozen others. I still have all the maps and season passes to this day.

I hate waiting in line, that's no fun. Here's some tips for a great time with a lot less hassle of crowds:

1) Get there when the park first opens...that first hour or so, the park is pretty much yours to pick rides as you please
    2) Go to the back of the park first. Everyone is up front getting on those rides.
    3) Mid-day: Then go to the front of the park. Now everyone else is at the back of the park or eating.
    4) Stay late. The crowds really thin out.
    5) Pick dates between holidays. A lot less people (even true with Universal, Disney not so much due to the international crowd). Right after Thanksgiving is a good time.

Universal Orlando is my favorite park. The rides are just jaw dropping. Not a lot of coasters tho, but the tech they use on the dark rides is seriously cutting edge.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Whoa, lifetime? That's awesome. I had no idea any park offered that. Buying that for a 3 year old is a slam dunk! As long as it's a park that has a good chance of staying in business.

Yes, the Legoland Ambassador lifetime pass was $1000 in the early 2000s. It quickly doubled to $2000, and last I checked about 10 years ago I think it was about $5000. But the place has expanded a lot since it first opened. According to their website, they stopped offering it in 2016.

Only reason I didn't get one for her is I did not know it also include 4 guest passes each year, or they didn't at the time or we would have gone that route. Instead our annual passes were like $70- $80 each.

Legoland is the best park for smaller children and adults that don't like being run over by strollers, as it is a super relaxed environment. Even though my daughter is 21 now, she has such great memories there she said she would go back anytime. Ditto for me.

#161 4 years ago

Going to Kings Island tomorrow and Cedar Point Wednesday and Thursday.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Hopefully mid week lines will be short for you.

Do you ever go to Silver Dollar City? They have some cool coasters, just not many.

#163 4 years ago

Might be a little bit of a drive, but Holiday World is in southern Indiana. Hey, you can pick up a pin from Zach while in the neighborhood!

#164 4 years ago

Yep I try to do them all. Time Traveler is very unique. Holliday World is a fun park as well.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Universal Orlando is my favorite park. The rides are just jaw dropping. Not a lot of coasters tho, but the tech they use on the dark rides is seriously cutting edge.

I enjoyed reading your entire post. If my trip in 2 weeks to Cedar Point and Six Flags Darien Lake the coasters are hurting my head still and I feel my brain hitting my skull then I am done, and next season pass will be Universal.

I am not sold on Disney, a lot of people on here say wonderful things, but price is always a negative.

What I have learned here, and with what my head is doing when I ride stuff I like...I think I need to settle down soon and make Universal my go to place

#166 4 years ago

Time Traveler is very unique.

That is a understatement. I could not believe how that park while themed looking like the old west had something so new and totally cutting edge. And it did not hurt my head! If Dollywood(same company) gets one I would have to do another pass there....only a 4 hour drive.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

....I think I need to settle down soon and make Universal my go to place

Thanks - you won't be disappointed. Coasters were my favorite for years (and I still ride them), Universal has 3 of them. But Universal's dark rides just knows how to completely fool your senses. On Spiderman, you think you are falling a dozen stories when in fact you're only moving a foot or two, if that. It's really that good despite being nearly 20 years old (but upgraded over the years). 3D 4K projectors, wind, lighting, multi-axis cars, a few sprinkles of water all add up to a lot of fun. On Harry Potter, your seats are actually attached to what is essentially like a robot that they use to build cars, so they can move you every which way for each scene. And in some cases, the movie screen even follows the seats (think of a half circle that is really a screen in front of you and it is following you. When that scene is over, the robot arm you are on then swings around to a new scene. The theming alone probably cost as much as some coasters. Just amazing.

Universal is comprised of Universal and Islands of Adventures (IOA). The best deal is a 3 day pass which also let's you hop between the two parks anytime you want (they are right next to each other). Some nice off site hotel chains within easy walking distance to the parks if you want to save some $$.

We usually hop on an Agilent flight from Fort Wayne in northern Indiana for about $60. Sure beats driving. 2 hrs. later we are in sunny FLA. Interestingly enough, the same time the parks are less busy are some of the cheapest times to fly. Been a few years since we've went down there - a bunch of new rides added since then.

Here's an interesting and short article about the Harry Potter ride mechanicals: https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150319/30063/behind-ride-4-mind-bending-tricks-employed-harry-potter-and-forbidden.

Ditto on your Disney comment. Enjoy Universal a lot more.

1 week later
    #168 4 years ago

Just got back from Kings island and Dollywood. For anyone looking for low crowds, this is the week to go. All rides were basically walk ons at both parks. Could ride anything as many times as you want, it was awesome.

On the day I went to Dollywood, lightning rod was closed all day. So that sucked. But that was the only bad spot and overall the two parks were both great.

I said I would report on the Beast and if it is rough. I rode it 4 times in a row first thing in the morning. Here's the deal.

I was shocked at what a MASSIVE difference there is between the cars in the front of the train vs the cars in the rear of the train. If you ride in the back of the train, I would say the ride is downright smooth! Seriously, for a wooden coaster it's not rough at all.

In the front of the train, the ride is really rough! Seriously rough. It's actually how I remembered it being when I was a kid.

Just down the way from the Beast is mystic timbers. This ride was fun, fun, fun! One of the best surprises in my book. And the ending.... Well, I'm not going to spoil it but I loved it.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

....I was shocked at what a MASSIVE difference there is between the cars in the front of the train vs the cars in the rear of the train. If you ride in the back of the train, I would say the ride is downright smooth! Seriously, for a wooden coaster it's not rough at all.
    In the front of the train, the ride is really rough! Seriously rough. It's actually how I remembered it being when I was a kid...

I wonder if each car can be smooth or rough, depending on the the age of the wheels or bearings - or it really only has to do with location more than anything else (don't know). Beast really is that, a 'beast'. That's one big, long coaster. Always enjoyed riding it at night in the dark since a lot of the ride is out in the woods. Just a completely different experience in the dark.

Glad you had a good time!

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I wonder if each car can be smooth or rough, depending on the the age of the wheels or bearings - or it really only has to do with location more than anything else (don't know). Beast really is that, a 'beast'. That's one big, long coaster. Always enjoyed riding it at night in the dark since a lot of the ride is out in the woods. Just a completely different experience in the dark.

Yeah that's certainly a possibility, maybe it's just that I happened to get smooth cars in the back and rough ones in the front. Who knows?

I did want to ride it at night but the park closed at 8 and it was still light out!

1 week later
    #171 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Quoted from Fizz:
    ....I was shocked at what a MASSIVE difference there is between the cars in the front of the train vs the cars in the rear of the train. If you ride in the back of the train, I would say the ride is downright smooth! Seriously, for a wooden coaster it's not rough at all.
    In the front of the train, the ride is really rough! Seriously rough. It's actually how I remembered it being when I was a kid...
    More

I would think it would be a wheel thing making the back smoother. Usually the back feels faster and rougher like a sling shot effect or something.

I just did Six Flags Darien Lake along with some other things on vacation and I have a lot of opinions about Six Flags parks. To me Six Flags is the best deal money wise, buy on sale and get a pass and dining pass good at all their parks for under $150.00 for a year roughly. (my last one was 144.13 total for pass with parking and dining).

In my opinion, this is my list of Six Flags parks I have been to from best to worst.

1. Magic Mountain - best rides, unique rides, good dining pass value.
    2. Jackson NJ - very large park, even has safari included. dining pass was good, even had fried shrimp.
    3. Arlington TX - Has my favorite drop tower and some other rides I like. decent dining pass options.
    4. San Francisco - different rides that were fun, best dining pass options of all the parks.
    5. SFOG - 5 miles from me, rode everything way too much in the past, but I can say only 3 rides hurt, and has decent dining pass options. However this is the worst park for line jumpers and young people not behaving. You will also see lots of real police here and that is a good thing.
    6. New England - seems small but has some very fun rides. dining pass ok(honestly it has been a while since I was there, dining pass options may be better now).
    7. Chicago - decent park, decent dining options, was there last year.
    8. San Antonio - small park, some decent rides, some hurt though. decent dining options.
    9. Darien Lake - just went there, small park, some rides rough, the worst dining pass options anywhere.
    10. Lake George - small park, have not been there in a while but not many rides when I was there. Not sure about dining options.
    11. St Louis - sorry, but I was there last year and the rides hurt so bad I could not enjoy the rest of my vacation. dining pass options were ok.

Anyway, I was back at Cedar Point last week and it is still the best for rollercoasters overall. Not the best value money wise, but if you live close you can not go wrong.

At this point because some rides are hurting my head worse and worse I am pretty much retiring from coasters. In the future I plan to do Universal. I have not been there yet, but damn....560.00 for a annual pass and no meals included? At least their rides for the most part should not hurt a bit.

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-amusement-parks/page/4?hl=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.