4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by JohnnyPinball007
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What chain of amusement parks do you like best?”

• Six Flags 12 votes
      18%
    • Cedar Fair 20 votes
      29%
    • Disney 36 votes
      53%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (2) (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    knotts (resized).jpg
    cycle_chase_2_283 (resized).jpg
    3de19c797297b366fbb20b8c64747c5a (resized).jpg
    chase_cycle (resized).jpg
    61E4C6E1-2B53-423E-BB5D-31801F4D0D90 (resized).jpeg
    43796432-8171-440C-A173-D162B4D1BA4E (resized).jpeg
    image.gif
    QuarrelsomeLittleFalcon-size_restricted.gif
    MVIMG_20180717_191818-EFFECTS (resized).jpg

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 4 months ago

Here is that new world record dive coaster

QuarrelsomeLittleFalcon-size_restricted.gif
    #53 4 months ago

Leaving for Disney World tomorrow morning .It's not the best time
    of year to go,but my daughter's a teacher,so summer is the best time for her to go .

#54 4 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here is that new world record dive coaster

That ride and park looks awesome. Someday we have to get some passports.

#55 4 months ago

Stopping at Six Flags Vallejo on the way down to California Extreme this weekend! Going to be a solid mix

#56 4 months ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Nice...remember to use those fast passes smartly. I believe you actually get 6 a day...although you can only sign up for the first 3 together.
    If you're stuck somewhere and the fast passes arent availabel for a long time, just have the ride open on your phone app and just keep hitting refresh over and over and POW, an earlier tie will pop up

#57 4 months ago
    Quoted from Thunder90:

Stopping at Six Flags Vallejo

Stay away from Kong, it will beat you to death. The Chop Six beef and broccoli was excellent at that park, best park food I have ever had.

#58 4 months ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Busch Gardens Williamsburg looks awesome. Very pretty. What other parks are attractive with lots to do besides just thrill rides?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hershey probably the second that’s very nice place.

Agree with CrazyLevi here, and the Hotel Hersey and Hersey Gardens are very attractive as well. Both Busch Gardens and Hersey have lots of other things to do around them, especially if you like American history. Gettysburg is about an hour away from Hersey and Colonial Williamsburg is only about 15 minutes away from Busch Gardens.

#59 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice...remember to use those fast passes smartly. I believe you actually get 6 a day...although you can only sign up for the first 3 together.
    If you're stuck somewhere and the fast passes arent availabel for a long time, just have the ride open on your phone app and just keep hitting refresh over and over and POW, an earlier tie will pop up

Thank you !

#60 4 months ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

of year to go,but my daughter's a teacher,so summer is the best time for her to go .

Have a great trip!

I've got 28 days before my trip. Wife's a teacher, so we always go before NY schools are back in session.

#61 4 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Have a great trip!
    I've got 28 days before my trip. Wife's a teacher, so we always go before NY schools are back in session.

Fast pass avatat ride now if you can, probably too late

Actually, the Animal park was a complete dud. I call it the animal park casue I don;teven remember the name...because I didn't see any animals.

#62 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did they finish redoing the HUrler yet?

Yes, they finished it in 2018, it is now Twisted Timbers. IMHO, it is their best coaster (maybe tied with i305). It is absolutely worth traveling to KD to ride it.

#63 4 months ago

ANY park as long as there are roller coasters!!!

#64 4 months ago

I plan on going to Universal in Orlando later this year...
    Any tips or tricks for that one?
    Which ticket should I buy?
    Planning on one full day there.
    I’ve been to a few Disney parks but this is my first universal park trip.

#65 4 months ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I’ve been to a few Disney parks but this is my first universal park trip.

Be at the gate, at opening time.
    Plan your route, while allowing family decisions....(shopping is great, but carrying it all day isnt)
    LOTS of water.

Others I hope will share tickets, and "lines"....While all coasters, Harry Potter" get packed.
    Unless you are young enough, 9 AM rollercoasters can be hard on some.

#66 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Fast pass avatat ride now if you can, probably too late
    Actually, the Animal park was a complete dud. I call it the animal park casue I don;teven remember the name...because I didn't see any animals.

All of the fast passes were booked at 7am, once the 60 day window opened. How didn't you see any animals? They're everywhere...

#67 4 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I hate to hear that ride closed, it was awesome.

Volcano was a fun ride but a maintenance nightmare. It was apparently brutally expensive to keep it running. Hopefully they put something awesome in it's place.

The stand up coaster at KD is also rough IMO.

The Shockwave was my #1 seed as a kid but alas they tore it down two years ago to add some swing ride for kids.

Your source is right, IMO rides at KD are a lot rougher than other parks.

Maybe I have not been to enough parks but I never noticed them being any rougher than Hershey, Busch Gardens, or 6 Flags America. Except of course for the old classics Rebel Yell and Grizzly but their rickityness is part of the charm. As mentioned earlier the revamped Hurler now called Twisted Timbers is an absolutely amazing coaster. It is a "hybrid" coaster meaning it is wood frame but with the new I-style tracks where the wheels ride inside the track so the train can go inverted and make the tightest turns imaginable while staying SUPER smooth. I took my family there last year and we rode it 15 times thanks to Fast Pass. I preferred it to even the Dominator and Intimidator (which are both awesome).

#68 4 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

All of the fast passes were booked at 7am, once the 60 day window opened. How didn't you see any animals? They're everywhere...

I sat next to a Disney cast member on the plane ride home, and she said she only got to go on Avatar once the entire year she was there and she still sat in line all day; crazy.

#69 4 months ago

Love coasters. Thus my mostly coaster based pinball collection. Started riding to get over my fear of heights. Quickly got hooked and joined a coaster club, that was about 30 years ago. I'm actually in Maine right now for a coaster event this coming weekend. Good stuff!

#70 4 months ago

I go to theme parks for the theme element(not a big rider of coasters, but like looking at them). Islands of Adventure is my all time favorite, but locally we enjoy Tweetsie Railroad in Boone, NC. No coasters but fun trained theme family park.

#71 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I sat next to a Disney cast member on the plane ride home, and she said she only got to go on Avatar once the entire year she was there and she still sat in line all day; crazy.

As a former cast member, in the past, there was more respect, support, and perks for cast members, regardless of position.
    Almost all are gone, including many executive perks.
    Cost cutting, as it also began to get abused.....Cast members taking money to get others in, overuse of Golf, fishing, and Hotel...drinks, etc.

#72 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow. That's nuts. On my last trip, i rode it three times. I did wait an hour once though.

#73 3 months ago

Roller coasters have been my main hobby for the last 20 years. I just got back from a trip to Cedar Point, Kennywood, Waldameer Park, and Conneaut Lake Park this past weekend. Although I’m most into roller coasters, the parks I like most are visiting both Disney locations in the US (WDW and DL). Outside of Disney I highly recommend Cedar Point for their wide selection of roller coasters, and places like Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood for the overall package (Rides, Food, Shows, Scenery).

Here are some of my favorite roller coasters....

Steel:

Steel Vengeance- Cedar Point
    Fury 325- Carowinds
    Superman- Six Flags New England
    Iron Rattler- Six Flags Fiesta Texas
    Phantoms Revenge- Kennywood
    Goliath- Six Flags over Georgia

Wood:

Lightning Rod- Dollywood
    Voyage- Holiday World
    Outlaw Run- Silver Dollar City
    El Toro- Six Flags Great Adventure
    Boulder Dash- Lake Compounce
    Ravine Flyer II- Waldameer

#74 3 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Wow. That's nuts. On my last trip, i rode it three times. I did wait an hour once though.

All you need to do is get in line for Avatar 5 minutes before the park closes. Line will be under 45 minutes, maybe much shorter.

#75 3 months ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

the overall package (Rides, Food, Shows, Scenery).

We have a dining pass that covers all Six Flags parks, but anywhere else we go we get our hand stamped about 2pm and drive to Golden Corral. Luckily most parks have a Golden Corral within 5 miles. Cedar Point had one of the last Ryan's nearby, I recently looked at google and it looks like a Golden Corral went into that same location.

#76 3 months ago

Considering I work at one, Quite a bit.

And Why the heck is not Universal in the poll?

#77 3 months ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

As a former cast member...

Thank you for your service

#78 3 months ago

Cedar Point seems to be the coaster capital of the world but Six Flags Magic Mountain is no slouch in that department. Just don't go there in the summer as it is fricken hot up there.

And what a letdown the new Star Wars area at Disneyland supposedly is. I haven't been to it yet but hear they went from taking reservations to even go there, to the area being near empty most of the time. A lot of money spent for that.

They should probably put the petting zoo and BBQ restaurant back.

#79 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Check the website to see what rides you would be interested in to see what park they're in. If planning only one day I recommend only one park ticket because it's way too hard to see everything in both parks in one day unless you just target the things you want to see and don't get sidetracked with everything else (nearly impossible). Also, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, when you know what day you plan on going, check with the park that there isn't a special event planned for that night. They will gladly take your money without saying anything and then kick you out of the park earlier than normal for the private event. It's not unheard of for them to get you out by 5:30pm when the park normally closes at 8 or 9 so beware.

#80 3 months ago

Disneyland will never stop packing them in, but I think they need to re think the strategy of building entire new lands with only one featured attraction ride. Cars land was similar. Cars ride is great, but beside that it is a lot of show with little go.

Even when they redid Tomorrowland, they took out most of what made it great and replaced it with much less.

#81 3 months ago

We have a dining pass that covers all Six Flags parks, but anywhere else we go we get our hand stamped about 2pm and drive to Golden Corral. Luckily most parks have a Golden Corral within 5 miles. Cedar Point had one of the last Ryan's nearby, I recently looked at google and it looks like a Golden Corral went into that same location.

Really? Golden Corral? Yikes.

If you want to save money on food outside CP there is a place called Diannas Restaurant and Deli not too far away. Decent food for pretty cheap.

I have a Six Flags pass but I won’t get the dining plan. The food at most parks is crap and if I’m in a city that I am not normally in there is usually some place outside the park I want to eat at anyway. Silver Dollar City and Dollywood have some of the best food at any park anywhere. I’ll always eat in the park there which is also good since it would take up too much time to leave and come back due to their locations and parking lot situations.

#82 3 months ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

The food at most parks is crap

I can always go for a free turkey leg(free after the one time fee). A lot of Six Flags also has a Chop Six, which is their version on Panda Express. The one near me has bone in wings and veggie rice that is good. I am very tight on money when it comes to food. Golden Corral is a treat, but mostly I just grill burgers at home. In a few weeks going to the beach, a place at Panama City Beach called Montego Bay I like and will pay decent for.

I just stay tight on food costs and other things to have more money for trips and pins, and also because I am semi-retired and do not want to go back full time.

#83 3 months ago

Man I wanted more choices for the poll to also have Busch/SeaWorld, and the one I forget the name that owns Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. But I think I got the main 3.

Quoted from Clnilsen:

And Why the heck is not Universal in the poll?

If I had of known how I would have included more. And honestly I was not thinking about Universal, because I have not been there yet.

#84 3 months ago

I also want to thank everyone that has been giving advice on Universal. I do plan to go there Jan 2020, or Jan 2021, depends what other trips I may decide first.

My parents took me to Disney when I was a kid and I did not care for it back then. I have no interest personally in Disney, I hear and read about the prices and crowds. One friend said he spent 8k there for a week for a family of four and that was 10 years ago.

#85 3 months ago

Oh Universal is great too! We will be making our yearly trek down this October for Halloween Horror Nights, easily the best park Halloween event. The great thing about HHN is most everything you’d want to ride in Universal is open during the event, and it is MUCH cheaper than normal park hours (if going multiple days). If you aren’t into Halloween/Horror though this is NOT for you!

This also doesn’t include Islands of Adventure so if you’d like to do the rides over there including Hulk, Spider-Man, and the Harry Potter rides at that park you’d need to go there too.

#86 3 months ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

Oh Universal is great too! We will be making our yearly trek down this October for Halloween Horror Nights, easily the best park Halloween event. The great thing about HHN is most everything you’d want to ride in Universal is open during the event, and it is MUCH cheaper than normal park hours (if going multiple days). If you aren’t into Halloween/Horror though this is NOT for you!
    This also doesn’t include Islands of Adventure so if you’d like to do the rides over there including Hulk, Spider-Man, and the Harry Potter rides at that park you’d need to go there too.

The Halloween horror nights are definitely awesome. But what’s not awesome are the lines for the haunted houses even with a fast pass or whatever they call it for the Halloween horror nights. THEY ARE STILL LONG!!! But still, it is really cool how the park is changed at night. My girlfriend will not go again. I think she shit her pants at least 30 times the night we went. And that was from just walking the park, not the actual haunted houses (which there are several). If you like Halloween, you will love this!

#87 3 months ago

I love Canobie Lake Park in Salem NH. The owners are big pinball fans.

43796432-8171-440C-A173-D162B4D1BA4E (resized).jpeg
    #88 3 months ago

I think Universal Hollywood sucks. Over priced tickets, and long wait times for mediocre rides.

#89 3 months ago

I used to go to amusement parks quite a bit. Form big parks to little parks most have something to offer. My favorite bigger parks would be Kings Island, Magic Mountain and Hersheypark. Smaller parks would be Holiday World, Knoebels and Silverwood. Finally got to Dollywood last year and that was enjoyable. Hoping to get back to Kings Island and Holiday World next year.

#90 3 months ago

Six flags great America rocks. We were there on July 3 and nobody was there. Did front row and back row on every coaster. Hit every ride before noon. Notice how many other people were at the place in our pic!
    61E4C6E1-2B53-423E-BB5D-31801F4D0D90 (resized).jpeg

#91 3 months ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

The Halloween horror nights are definitely awesome. But what’s not awesome are the lines for the haunted houses even with a fast pass or whatever they call it for the Halloween horror nights. THEY ARE STILL LONG!!! But still, it is really cool how the park is changed at night. My girlfriend will not go again. I think she shit her pants at least 30 times the night we went. And that was from just walking the park, not the actual haunted houses (which there are several). If you like Halloween, you will love this!

Just like anything else....there is a way to get through most houses with short waits. I have not ever bought the express pass either. You have to be at the front gate at least 30 mins prior to Horror Nights opening. Don’t ever go on a Saturday either! Once the gates open head toward the houses that aren’t anywhere near the front gate and you can do maybe 5 of them with an hour or so. By that time, most of the crowds will be in the park. Check the times on the houses you haven’t done and if they are all long skip them for now and do rides. The houses with the longer lines will be much shorter at the end of the night (12am-2am) and you can get some more then. You can also go back another day and knock out the ones by the front gate.

#92 3 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Have a great trip!

What do you think about August weather in Florida for that Disney World trip? I am considering doing the same but have reservations. I mean I don't have reservations yet, just RESERVATIONS.

#93 3 months ago

What do I think about August weather in Florida? Hot and humid... VERY humid. As soon as they open the doors on the plane, you want to go back and sit down.

We last went 2nd to 3rd week of December last year. Beautiful weather except one rainy day (amounted to VERY short lines in Animal Kingdom, Less than 30 minute wait to get on Avatar).

#94 3 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What do you think about August weather in Florida for that Disney World trip? I am considering doing the same but have reservations. I mean I don't have reservations yet, just RESERVATIONS.

That's when we've gone for the last 6 years. Yes, it's hot. One year the record highs were broken and it was in the upper 90's. But there's methods to our madness. Many of the schools across the country are back in session, including those in Florida. So the crowds are much lower than normal. A good portion of the people that are in the parks are from NY, NJ and the UK.

You still have to be smart about how you hit the parks though. Get there before the parks open and you'll get on a lot of rides in the first two hours. Schedule your fast passes for after that. Eat lunch at 11 or so, when there's no lines and then head back to the rides when everyone is eating lunch. Head back to the hotel at around 1 and just chill at the pool. Why bake? All of the hotels have amazing pools. It's a great time to take advantage of them. Eat dinner at the resort and then head back to the parks. It's much cooler in the evening. Also, when the daily rain happens, it's usually around 3 or so, and you're getting ready for dinner.

Any place in the parks that sells fountain drinks will give you free ice waters. Take full advantage of that. After you use your third fast pass, immediately book the next one and keep doing that. You never know what ride will pop up in the app either.

#95 3 months ago

No Santa Claus Indiana?
    Well Santa says eff you all, stock Stern balls in all yer stockings.

#96 3 months ago

I also want to thank everyone that has been giving advice on Universal. I do plan to go there Jan 2020, or Jan 2021, depends what other trips I may decide first.
    My parents took me to Disney when I was a kid and I did not care for it back then. I have no interest personally in Disney, I hear and read about the prices and crowds. One friend said he spent 8k there for a week for a family of four and that was 10 years ago.

I really enjoyed the Disneyworld parks. They seemed much nicer than what I remembered from going as kid/young adult. Great stuff for all ages. It was expensive but all the major parks are expensive. Crowds are not just a Disney thing, either. I went to Universal right after they opened the Harry Potter area. That was the most crowded place I have ever been. Thankfully none of my kids were really into the Harry Potter stuff so we didn't spend much time there.

#97 3 months ago

At Universal right now. The new Hagrids coaster is awesome. My biggest surprise though was the Volcano Bay water park. They have a water roller coaster which is neat ant the big drops out of the Volcano are legit. You stand in a tube and the floor drops out from under you. Sick.

For coaster fans the only decent ones are hulk and rip rocket. The rest of the rides are technical marvels but not traditional coasters.

#98 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

At Universal right now. The new Hagrids coaster is awesome. My biggest surprise though was the Volcano Bay water park. They have a water roller coaster which is neat ant the big drops out of the Volcano are legit. You stand in a tube and the floor drops out from under you. Sick.
    For coaster fans the only decent ones are hulk and rip rocket. The rest of the rides are technical marvels but not traditional coasters.

Mummy is also a coaster. I won’t count the smaller ones here.

Fast & Furious is a technical POS lol

#99 3 months ago

I still ride most of the big coasters at Magic Mountain, but one of my all time favorites was the long defunct Motorcycle Chase at Knotts Berry Farm which later became the Soap Box Racers. They really strapped you in good on this thing.
    chase_cycle (resized).jpg3de19c797297b366fbb20b8c64747c5a (resized).jpg
    cycle_chase_2_283 (resized).jpgknotts (resized).jpg

#100 3 months ago

I was just sharing home movies last night, and caught my brother and I riding the Steeple chase at Pirates World in Florida 1969.
    Looks like the ride above.....just a leather lap strap, and if you didnt hold on, you fell off!
    I think the one in Florida came from Coney Island!

I have enjoyed researching, years ago the History of Amusement Parks, and how a Trip to Dreamland may have inspired Disney!
    It was one of the first large scale use of Electric Lightbulbs!
    Many rides would not be allowed today....A giant spinning Wooden Bowl, shocking ladies with a cattle Prod!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    £ 20.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12.95
    $ 33.50
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside