(Topic ID: 247872)

Who likes amusement parks?

By JohnnyPinball007

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What chain of amusement parks do you like best?”

• Six Flags 13 votes
      19%
    • Cedar Fair 20 votes
      29%
    • Disney 36 votes
      52%

(69 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (2) (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    knotts (resized).jpg
    cycle_chase_2_283 (resized).jpg
    3de19c797297b366fbb20b8c64747c5a (resized).jpg
    chase_cycle (resized).jpg
    61E4C6E1-2B53-423E-BB5D-31801F4D0D90 (resized).jpeg
    43796432-8171-440C-A173-D162B4D1BA4E (resized).jpeg
    image.gif
    QuarrelsomeLittleFalcon-size_restricted.gif
    MVIMG_20180717_191818-EFFECTS (resized).jpg
    There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

If I have been there, I can give advice on what is good and what hurts my head and I will never ride again. I do not do water parks, but me and friends have been to every Six Flags in the USA except the 2 recently opened, one in OK and the other near Buffalo NY. We are doing Buffalo this year, along with Cedar Point again. Hands down Cedar Point is the best park period in the USA. As far as Six Flags parks, NJ used to be my favorite, until recently more rides there have been hurting my head. Now my favorite Six Flags is the one near LA, CA.

We have been to most major parks, except the Disneys and Universals. We like really good rollercoasters, and drop towers, and not so much the smaller rides. And those parks are expensive, and we like fun and value.

If you buy the passes to Six Flags when they are on sale, you can save a ton if you live near one. Six Flags dining passes are the greatest. I live 5 miles from SFOG, and I am there almost daily for dinner. Saves me a ton of money on food every year. And they do have some healthy choices also, sometimes I do that.

If you do it right, you can really enjoy a lot of parks on a small budget. For example, if I go to the beach, I have to have a room right on the beach, and those are pricey. Amusement parks....I may stay 20 miles away for a awesome room at a awesome price.

This year not doing much, Panama City Beach then Cedar Point and Darien Lake. The hotel on the beach for a few days costs more than last years trip which consisted of SF near Chicago, SF near St. Louis, Silver Dollar City, Busch in VA, SF near Baltimore, and SF Jackson, NJ.

Every park I go to I look for game rooms, not many these days, and the only one I have found pinballs in is Cedar Point.

My favorite rollercoaster is Millennium Force at Cedar Point, followed by Cheetah Hunt at Bucsh Tampa. My favorite drop tower is the one at SF Arlington, and then the Falcons Fury at Bucsh Tampa.

And the first ride that ever hurt my head is the Kinda Ka at SF NJ, and last summer it still did. Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point is almost the same thing, and it does not bother me, I love that one.

Also, Dollywood and some other Cedar Fair parks like Carowinds are pretty good also. I do not have kids but do notice sometimes which parks are good for youngsters.

If I have been there I may can give some good advice. For fun I am going to try to do a poll also. Man I wanted more choices for the poll to also have Busch/SeaWorld, and the one I forget the name that owns Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. But I think I got the main 3.

#2 4 years ago

Just got back from visiting Six Flags Magic Mountain and the coasters there were sick fun. Riddlers Revenge, Tatsu, and Goliath were my favorites and they have many. Pretty cheap too. Way better than Universal Hollywood and half the price.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

and half the price.

Six Flags is the best value I have found hands down. I love Magic Mountain, I rode the Twisted Colossus so much I could barely walk for a week, it is rough on my knees but totally worth it.

#4 4 years ago

Universal Orlando for the win...Hands down

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

Universal Orlando for the win...Hands down

That is on the radar, 6 hour drive from here, I just do not see any real tall rides or fast coasters there on their list. And very pricey not knowing for sure.

#6 4 years ago

Although Disney World is at the top of my chart.

Growing up in North Texas, Six Flags over Texas I’ve been too many times since I was a kid. One of my favorite rides at SFOT was a dark ride called the Speelunker’s Cave Ride which featured these little weird animatronic creatures in a variety of scenes. It was the perfect escape from the hot Texas sun as the AC was always nice and cold on this dimely lit water ride. In 1991 the Speelunker’s Cave Ride was no more and SFOT being owned by Warner Bros, converted the ride to animatronic Looney Tunes were it then became Yosemite Sams Gold River Adventure.
    Some have wondered whatever happened to the Speelunker’s? Most were discarded and thrown out after the rides conversion. However I’ve had a dream to find one someday for my home gameroom.
    Now 20+ years later I found one and would you believe I found him somewhat through Pinside!
    Over the last several months I have fully restored “Conquistador Spee” to his former glory including making him animate once again. Im proud to say I have a piece of Six Flags over Texas History.
    74F0981F-33E4-4559-9C84-FA14F46486CD (resized).jpeg74F0981F-33E4-4559-9C84-FA14F46486CD (resized).jpeg155E894C-3FA8-4635-A570-B39A3375BB21 (resized).jpeg155E894C-3FA8-4635-A570-B39A3375BB21 (resized).jpeg072450A1-3AEF-4738-B66D-A9BA3A64C1D1 (resized).jpeg072450A1-3AEF-4738-B66D-A9BA3A64C1D1 (resized).jpeg86F06736-E8EB-42D3-BD0E-4A9E8ECF421A (resized).jpeg86F06736-E8EB-42D3-BD0E-4A9E8ECF421A (resized).jpeg7233A931-A69C-42EC-AA38-4E929DE4CC6D (resized).jpeg7233A931-A69C-42EC-AA38-4E929DE4CC6D (resized).jpeg3FC91266-347A-4782-8266-39088F72A916 (resized).jpeg3FC91266-347A-4782-8266-39088F72A916 (resized).jpeg84319897-EC87-4C5D-8331-615BCA9B9101 (resized).jpeg84319897-EC87-4C5D-8331-615BCA9B9101 (resized).jpegD0E6133C-A0A2-4809-9A8E-19269D840FEA (resized).jpegD0E6133C-A0A2-4809-9A8E-19269D840FEA (resized).jpeg8A0DE620-1360-4029-965F-76BEBEA002AB (resized).jpeg8A0DE620-1360-4029-965F-76BEBEA002AB (resized).jpeg159BE41F-2344-4E13-81E3-DB0606EF92D7 (resized).jpeg159BE41F-2344-4E13-81E3-DB0606EF92D7 (resized).jpeg810B9987-5B0C-487D-BEFA-7B86D7B84897 (resized).jpeg810B9987-5B0C-487D-BEFA-7B86D7B84897 (resized).jpegC53AB0E6-7CFE-4D82-86EA-68B0300949AC (resized).jpegC53AB0E6-7CFE-4D82-86EA-68B0300949AC (resized).jpeg

#7 4 years ago

Kings Island is pretty good here in the Southern part of Ohio.

#8 4 years ago

Pacific NW is really lacking in this department. We have Silverwood in Idaho which is fun but small. Looking forward to a Florida trip later in the year.

#9 4 years ago

For anyone that likes coasters and lots of them Ceder Point in Ohio is the place for them.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

We have been to most major parks, except the Disneys and Universals. We like really good rollercoasters, and drop towers, and not so much the smaller rides. And those parks are expensive, and we like fun and value.

I used to be really into amusement parks, but nowadays theme parks Disney and Universal do much much more for me. Yes, they may not have the tallest or fastest rides - although the Hulk coaster at Islands of Adventure is pretty fun - but they offer a much more complete, coherent package. I’ve grown to love the theming, environment, service etc, and some of their dark rides are just incredible. No regional parks have anything that can compare to something like Spiderman.

Yes, they’re much more expensive, but they’re also more than just a collection of rides. Based on your post I’d really suggest you give Universal Orlando a try - their value resorts are much nicer and much closer to the parks than in Disney, and the overall cost is no where near as expensive as a Disney trip. As much as I love Disney World, I think it’s fast approaching a point where it really doesn’t represent value for money... that being said I am doing five nights at the Yacht Club in September before heading over to Hard Rock at Universal for a week, so they still have me for now.

Universal Orlando is a much more relaxing place to visit than Disney - no booking restaurants 180 days in advance or fast passes 60 days in advance, and if you can swing a stay at one of the three deluxe hotels (Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) you get unlimited express pass for your entire trip.

It’s got to the point for me that I don’t really bother with parks that aren’t Disney or Universal anymore. They just don’t give me the same feeling of escape. They may not be for you, but you won’t know until you try.

#11 4 years ago

Sounds like you should try out Canada’s Wonderland in Toronto. It’s one of the best parks for roller coasters in the world. 17 coasters, the newest one is the larger dive coaster in the world. I haven’t tried it out, but work close by and it looks intimidating.

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/?&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDPYJTUezF6bMVt93D7Sbh_Xzc0_VAJaZ9osix6MA9iyfuwVxrv9hEhoCXWIQAvD_BwE

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%27s_Wonderland

#12 4 years ago

In the 70's , I worked at Rye Playland NY for 6 summers. Back then , .Westchester County owned the park and owned /operated about two thirds of the rides. The rest were owned by individuals. I got lucky and got a job the first year for a 1.85 dollar per hour. We worked 60 plus hours a week and mostly it was a bunch of kids running the rides. It was a blast. Saved all the money to help pay for college.
    The park was built in the late 20's and last time I checked, has a lot of the original structures /rides from that era.
    Anyway, worked my "way up" through the organization and became one of the four operators on the famous Dragon Coaster. Lot's of stories on operating the brakes for that bad boy. Anybody here that went on that ride in the late 70's can thank me for stopping the coaster train at the end .

#13 4 years ago

Been to Disney, Cedar Point, Six Flags and many others, but have always thought Busch Gardens Williamsburg is one of the most beautiful parks.

100_1529 (resized).JPG100_1529 (resized).JPG
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustLikeMe:

As much as I love Disney World, I think it’s fast approaching a point where it really doesn’t represent value for money...

Try 10+ years ago it left the "value" behind.
    A place that requires fast-passes 60 days ahead of your vacation? Screw that. I'm on vacation. I like to be a free bird, not all Clark Griswald and have my days planned to the minute, months in advance.

#15 4 years ago

Can’t do the rides anymore. I get so nauseous that makes me dizzy for hours. Any suggestions for a solution?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Can’t do the rides anymore. I get so nauseous that makes me dizzy for hours. Any suggestions for a solution?

I'm fighting that with rides with loops. Inner ear crystalization thing going on, maybe you have it worse. There are some prescriptions, which I would certainly take if it meant all rides got me all dizzy. Talk to your doctor if it's important to you!

#17 4 years ago

I'm a huge rollercoaster fan and Cedar point is hands down a rollercoaster paradise! It's worth the 13 hour drive.

#18 4 years ago

Love the rides, can't justify the cost to time spent in lines anymore, especially in the sun. The only way I can go any more is if they offer a "fast pass" or something similar to pay more and jump the lines, and even those tend to be more than I want to wait for a 2-3 minute ride anymore. We live about 45 minutes from Cedar Point and haven't been in years because the waiting is just brutal.

#19 4 years ago

Fun topic.

If you have Millie as your #1, you owe it to yourself to check out Superman: The Ride at Six Flags New England. Same manufacturer (Intamin) and same trains/restraint style. However, the track layout has way more going on, and tons of airtime (negative G's).

That being said however, I've been really impressed by all of the coasters that RMC has been doing conversions on. There's even one at SFNE that overshadows Supes. I had a chance to ride Wicked Cyclone and Supes back-to-back, and I prefer the Cyclone.

If you want to know what roller coaster is where, search this;
    https://www.rcdb.com

Also, here's a pretty good ranking by a good coaster enthusiast site;
    https://coasterbuzz.com/RollerCoasters/Top100

Later,
    EV

#20 4 years ago

I'm about 20 minutes from Darien Lake. I like the coasters there, but everything else just spins.... My brain can't handle it anymore. I love cedar point, but i haven't been there in 15 years, even though it's just a few hours away. I know they've added quite a bit since my last trip.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I'm fighting that with rides with loops. Inner ear crystalization thing going on, maybe you have it worse. There are some prescriptions, which I would certainly take if it meant all rides got me all dizzy. Talk to your doctor if it's important to you!

Unfortunately I haven’t talked to a doctor about it. I’ll definitely do that at my next appointment.

#22 4 years ago

Anyone remember Opryland USA?

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I have never been able to go on rides that spin.Makes me sicker than hell.But I can go on any rollercoaster as long as I can see forward.Those motion rides really kill me too.I went on the Harry Potter ride years ago and almost saw god but me and my son went on every coaster at Disney World,Busch gardens Tampa,Universal Studios and Sea World.Never got sick on those.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Ginger pills really help me with the spinny stuff;

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-961/ginger

Later,
    EV

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Kings Island is pretty good here in the Southern part of Ohio.

We used to stop by there on the way back from Cedar Point, they do have some great rides like Banshee and The Beast, but it has been a lot more crowded there than Cedar Point every time we stopped in.

#26 4 years ago

Veteran tips for shorter lines at the seasonal parks;

- visit during May (but avoid Science Days!), June and September
    - avoid July, August and October (especially Halloween events)
    - visit during weekdays if you can
    - be there right at park opening
    - hit the low capacity stuff first (ride with fewest seats per train/cycle). A coaster with one train and 12 seats generates a long line much faster than a 3-train, 36 seat per train people eater.
    - take a break from about 1pm until 5pm
    - stay until the park closes. Most parks will allow you to get in line right until closing time. So if there's a ride with long wait times, you can usually grab it at the end of the day, and wait while nothing else is open

Later,
    EV

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Can’t do the rides anymore. I get so nauseous that makes me dizzy for hours.

I have never had that, but when I was young one of my uncles had that problem, not sure if he ever got better.
    The problem I do have is if the ride is very rough I can feel my brain hit my skull. This started with Kinda Ka years ago. Last year every ride at SF St. Louis hurt, it was the roughest park I have ever been to.

#28 4 years ago

Kennywood!

#29 4 years ago

I liked Kennywood, we did it one time after leaving Hershey Park while on the way to Cedar Point. Oddest thing is most rides at Kennywood did not have the extra seat belt or even a safety bar between the line and track.

#30 4 years ago

I liked Kennywood, we did it one time after leaving Hershey Park while on the way to Cedar Point. Oddest thing is most rides at Kennywood did not have the extra seat belt or even a safety bar between the line and track.

Pennsylvania does not have the same regulations that Ohio does. Also, Cedar Fair has corporate-wide safety standards.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustLikeMe:

. As much as I love Disney World, I think it’s fast approaching a point where it really doesn’t represent value for money...no booking restaurants 180 days in advance or fast passes 60 days in advance...

I found I could pretty much fast pass everything the night before/day off/refreshing trick sans a couple of things you can never get; like the Avatar ride.
    Of course I went at what they claim is the 2nd best time to go and yeah it's so crammed with peeps it's not what I would call relaxing.

Went to Ceder Point only once and it was everything horrible I imagined. It seems it was the busiest they had ever been and the head of guest relations came out and told us if it where him he'd just leave Took us almost an hour to drive acrossT the entry bridge

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Took us almost an hour to drive acrossT the entry bridge

We always go on a weekday and have never seen it that bad. Maverick is usually a 45 minute wait anytime, but Millennium Force is mostly 15 minutes. I love Max Air also, on the worst days I have never seen it over 40 minutes and most of the time 15 or less. SFOG is 5 miles from me and we now have a Max Air type ride, it is no where near as good as the one at Cedar Point tough. Also I have never seen but one person get sick on Max Air, at our park every other cycle just about they have to close it for clean up.

#33 4 years ago

We always go on a weekday and have never seen it that bad.

Yeah it was a collection of weird things. Nice weather, Halloweekend, Ohio (?) holiday or a day off school or something.
    To give you an idea this is where we parked.

CP (resized).jpgCP (resized).jpg
    #34 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice weather, Halloweekend

If you went right at Halloween I 100% believe you. Always go the first 2 weekends they have it, not packed at all. SFOG is the same way, no lines for anything at first, then the weekend closest to Halloween you can not move.

#35 4 years ago

I think SeaWorld should be one of the choices in the poll.

Seaworld includes the Seaworld parks and Busch Gardens just to name a few.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I think SeaWorld should be one of the choices in the poll.
    Seaworld includes the Seaworld parks and Busch Gardens just to name a few.

Man I wanted more choices for the poll to also have Busch/SeaWorld, and the one I forget the name that owns Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. But I think I got the main 3.

I wanted to do more, but I could not figure out how. I seen one for best TV shows that had tons of choices so somehow it can be done.

Anyway we have had passes for SeaWorld and Busch, and maybe this winter will get another for Busch in Tampa. Those places are awesome in the Winter while kids are away at school.

#37 4 years ago

My home park is Kings Dominion (Volcano RIP), I really enjoy Twisted Timbers and i305.

Backlot stunt coaster is a fun family launch coaster, Dominator is a solid B&M floorless coaster that I always enjoy riding, and while I like Flight of Fear, it is starting to show its age. Its launch is not revolutionary anymore and it does have a noticeable rattle, it is not a deal breaker, but it is disappointing when I was told that that FoF at Kings Island is much smoother.

I haven't been to KI, but I will trust my source when he tells me this, because he rides lots of coasters and has ridden FoF at both parks and confirmed that the KI version is better.

I don't understand how that can be given that both coasters are the exact same ride and were built at the same time. I am worried that the maintenance at KD is not up to the standard that KI has.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from E_Gpinball:

My home park is Kings Dominion (Volcano RIP), I really enjoy Twisted Timbers and i305.
    Backlot stunt coaster is a fun family launch coaster, Dominator is a solid B&M floorless coaster that I always enjoy riding, and while I like Flight of Fear, it is starting to show its age. Its launch is not revolutionary anymore and it does have a noticeable rattle, it is not a deal breaker, but it is disappointing when I was told that that FoF at Kings Island is much smoother.
    I haven't been to KI, but I will trust my source when he tells me this, because he rides lots of coasters and has ridden FoF at both parks and confirmed that the KI version is better.
    I don't understand how that can be given that both coasters are the exact same ride and were built at the same time. I am worried that the maintenance at KD is not up to the standard that KI has.

Volcano was their best, too bad it's tits up.

Always a huge fan of the Grizzly and the Rebel yell as well. Did they finish redoing the HUrler yet? That thing was always terrible.

#39 4 years ago

I hate to hear that ride closed, it was awesome. The Dominator looks awesome like the one at Carowinds but it hurts my head while the Carowinds one never has bothered me. The stand up coaster at KD is also rough IMO. KD does have a great drop tower though and yeah the Backlot is good.

Your source is right, IMO rides at KD are a lot rougher than other parks.

But if your home park is KD, you are not far from the Busch in VA, and their rides do not hurt a bit, and a fun pass does not cost too much.

#40 4 years ago

I got the names and stuff confused. Intimidator 305 and Dominator both kill my head. I never tried any wood coasters there after riding those 2. Volcano was the best and smoothest there.

#41 4 years ago

Just booked to go to Disney World in february. We still love theme parks and went to a LOT of them, also in the States and UK (Alton Towers), but if you are ever in Germany you should visit Europa Park. Best park hands down in Europe. Lots of coasters, very good theming and a LOT of live shows.

MVIMG_20180717_191818-EFFECTS (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180717_191818-EFFECTS (resized).jpg
    #42 4 years ago

I have heard a lot about that place and watched a lot of youtube videos of the rides. I really hate to fly or it would be in future plans.

While in the USA you should check out Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, and the Busch and SeaWorld parks.

I have not been to Universal yet, but that is in future plans.

#43 4 years ago

I have heard a lot about that place and watched a lot of youtube videos of the rides. I really hate to fly or it would be in future plans.
    While in the USA you should check out Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, and the Busch and SeaWorld parks.
    I have not been to Universal yet, but that is in future plans.

Hi been to all of those except Cedar Point. Also went to Universal back in 2007 for the last time. We only have 7 days this time and with kids for the first time so Universal I plan on going again in two years when the kids are a bit older.

Thanks for the tip of Cedar Point though.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Similar thing with me, too. Used to have no problems riding any ride but now the crazy ones make me dizzy. I had a lot of fun going to parks with the kids when they were younger. We really enjoyed the Disney and other parks in Orlando. Sure gets expensive and crowded, though.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg looks awesome. Very pretty. What other parks are attractive with lots to do besides just thrill rides?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Similar thing with me, too. Used to have no problems riding any ride but now the crazy ones make me dizzy. I had a lot of fun going to parks with the kids when they were younger. We really enjoyed the Disney and other parks in Orlando. Sure gets expensive and crowded, though.
    Busch Gardens Williamsburg looks awesome. Very pretty. What other parks are attractive with lots to do besides just thrill rides?

Tivoli in Denmark is awesome.

Efteling in holland is amazing.

Williamsburg indeed the nicest US park I’ve been to. Hershey probably the second that’s very nice place.

Six flags parks are mostly overcrowded dumps.

#46 4 years ago

I thought i really liked amusement parks, but after reading these posts...i guess i need to try a lot more

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tivoli in Denmark is awesome.

Agreed! It’s one of the highlights of Copenhagen.

I’d never had a brakeman on a rollercoaster before.

#48 4 years ago

I have a kind of weird History.

I grew up Enjoying Coney Island, Rockaway, Ocean City, Rye, Hershey, and Palisades Amusement Park.

In 1973, we moved to Orlando, and enjoyed the early Park, as it was Magic.

In 1976, I worked as a character in the Bicentennial Parade, where I met my wife when we were 15!

My brother worked there then, and later in life in TV Production and Lead Attorney. He did the same for the building of Universal,
    and I would visit him on construction site which was wild to watch! His Ex is still working there!

Many years of my life enjoying Parks, finding my Love and life partner, taking our kids and extended families, and soon my Granddaughter!

Its great These Parks and all those in PA an Midwest are still Running!

(I rode a float, like the one in the pic, and my wife was a suffragette. 30 pond costumes, no cooling, in the heat! Brutal!!)
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

We have Silverwood in Idaho which is fun but small.

I'd almost drive that far just to ride the Knott's Berry Farm Corkscrew one more time. Back seat please!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Williamsburg indeed the nicest US park I’ve been to. Hershey probably the second that’s very nice place.
    Six flags parks are mostly overcrowded dumps.

I 100% agree with all that. Although Six Flags is not bad during the week crowd wise. SFOG is the worst of them all though, more line jumpers, more trash on the ground, and rude kids in general.

Cedar Point and the 2 Six Flags parks in CA are also clean and the people are nice, at least when I was there.

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-amusement-parks/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.