Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by hawkmoon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I work as a tech at a small arcade and just found out I am getting El Dorado for a side project.
Never had a pinball machine to work on so I have a few questions.
How difficult are they? Have a buddy who told me EMs are a nightmare.
Is there anything operator adjustable? I know there is 3 and 5 Ball play. Are these two different machines or a setting?

Probably have more when I see it in the shop.

#2 8 years ago

I think EM's are easier to work on than modern machines, by a long shot. With an EM its what you see is what you get. Modern machines can have a lot of invisible problems. Boards/cpu/roms etc all to worry about.

In the back of most EM's they have pins that are used to change settings. Very limited, but you do have some options.

#3 8 years ago

There are big jones plugs that you can move up or down for some game settings.

They are not hard. It is just ladder logic. No solid state computer everything done with motor switches and relays.

You Must have schematics. Or the nightmare will begin.

Single player would seem to be the easiest so you have that going for ya.

Lots of good EM guys still around to help you. But really you should be fine.

Pf easy to totally remove. And two bolts in cab and the whole score motor and main relays come out.

Lots of point to file clean and gap.

#4 8 years ago

Like everything not difficult if you know how. Lots of helpful info available eg pinrepair.com. Certainly not a nightmare. 3-5 ball is jones plug setting.

#5 8 years ago

Cool. Hoping it comes with a manual because I can't find one online anywhere.
But knowing most of the games that end up in my hands it won't.

#6 8 years ago

Pinball resource has it I am sure.

#7 8 years ago

You'll never fix it. Send it here!

#8 8 years ago

My first pin was an EM (1971? Williams Fantastic). I love the feel of the mechanical games but I despise working on them. Mine worked well most of the time but their were gremlins in there that would come and go.

#9 8 years ago

Hawkmoon checks in,i never saw a ElDorado before PAGG! During the pin golf turnament,we had to play one,and it was a pretty cool EM!There are a lot of drop targets and very nice flow to the game! However,it was set so close to tilt,it got me for six strokes! :impressed:will be a very fun pin!! Peace

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-knows-el-dorado and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.