Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Yoski
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Car ramp modification 3 (resized).JPG
    ea614b9f7038fdeaf1a2091ef3d9e70b12a3f45e (resized).jpg
    Car ramp modification triangle (resized).JPG
    Car ramp modification (resized).JPG
    Car ramp (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

Long talk short sense ...

I want to built the car ramp shown in this picture:

Car ramp (resized).JPGCar ramp (resized).JPG

I do not want to die , so I hope, someone here can give me some hints. The construction seems a bit week to me, so I am thinking of some reinforcement, as shown in the following picture:

Car ramp modification (resized).JPGCar ramp modification (resized).JPG

Is this enough, when I do these extras on all sides?

I am thankful for every hint.

Thanks in advance guys - there isn´t anything a pinballer does not know and/or can help with ...

#3 5 years ago

For strength, triangulation is your friend. Along the sides, I would put a diagonal in all 4 sections. As far as the front goes, I would put diagonals in both directions, hence making an "x". I would also "x" the 2 sections behind that. That is a bit tall and narrow to do less than that, in my opinion.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from KevinD:

For strength, triangulation is your friend. Along the sides, I would put a diagonal in all 4 sections. As far as the front goes, I would put diagonals in both directions, hence making an "x". I would also "x" the 2 sections behind that. That is a bit tall and narrow to do less than that, in my opinion.

I thank you sooo much!!!

What do you think of this?? I looks much more stable for me.

Car ramp modification triangle (resized).JPGCar ramp modification triangle (resized).JPG

#6 5 years ago

This is all you need. The red follows the front plane and the green the right plane.

ea614b9f7038fdeaf1a2091ef3d9e70b12a3f45e (resized).jpgea614b9f7038fdeaf1a2091ef3d9e70b12a3f45e (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

This is all you need. The red follows the front plane and the green the right plane.
    [quoted image]

#8 5 years ago

At 4000 lbs you are looking at roughly 1000 lbs (~ 500 Kg) per wheel. The front wheels, supported by 6 posts each, seem sufficiently sturdy to me. That's less than 100 Kg per post. What I find particularly worrisome is the far end where you have about the same weight and only 2 supporting posts. If anything goes bad it will be at the far end. Your greatest enemy is the buckling of one of the columns. I would suggest adding supports at half height between the columns to prevent that from happening. Google "eulersche knicklast" for inspiration.
    Looks to me the entire structure should be turned upside down.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Yoski:

At 4000 lbs you are looking at roughly 1000 lbs (~ 500 Kg) per wheel. The front wheels, supported by 6 posts each, seem sufficiently sturdy to me. That's less than 100 Kg per post. What I find particularly worrisome is the far end where you have about the same weight and only 2 supporting posts. If anything goes bad it will be at the far end. Your greatest enemy is the buckling of one of the columns. I would suggest adding supports at half height between the columns to prevent that from happening. Google "eulersche knicklast" for inspiration.
    Looks to me the entire structure should be turned upside down.

TY all very much. Do you both think about something like this??

Car ramp modification 3 (resized).JPGCar ramp modification 3 (resized).JPG

I like the kind of ramp very much and absolutely want to build it, BUT I do not want to die

And here is a video, where the usage of the ramp is "in action":

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

... Your greatest enemy is the buckling of one of the columns. I would suggest adding supports at half height between the columns to prevent that from happening. Google "eulersche knicklast" for inspiration. ...

I found this for "Eulersche Knicklast":

http://www.maschinenbau-wissen.de/skript3/mechanik/festigkeitslehre/134-knicken-euler

I suppose it is case 2, so adding support to the columns at half height seems to be very very important ...

#11 5 years ago

The green in the front is good. Prevents the columns from buckling. The red keeps it from tipping sideways. Still, the ones in the back are what concerns me the most. Some kind of additional support in the back, from top to ground would be helpful.

#12 5 years ago

As a simple experiment, take a drinking straw and press on it until it buckles. Then cut it half length (or have someone holding it at half height) and repeat the experiment. You'll see that it takes a lot more force before the straw buckles in the middle (Knicklast).

#13 5 years ago

#14 5 years ago

That's pretty awesome!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-knows-about-statics-for-a-car-ramp?hl=davi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.