(Topic ID: 25293)

Who knew stance was so important.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball_girl.jpg
    larry_craig.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

I would really love some tips. I have a hell of a time with it, partly because my arms aren't amazingly muscular or anything. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage for nudging to begin with. I am pathetic at it, and I really want to get better at pinball.

As the OP mentioned, if you're putting weight on your palms, i.e. using the game as a giant walker, then forward nudging is really a non-starter.

I made a nudging basics video. I threw it together for a presentation or something and should probably make a better one, but you might find some of it useful.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Problem with that video is it's not clear exactly when to nudge. The way I see it, if you nudge or slap when the ball isn't touching a rubber the table will move and the ball will stay still so if you slap the right side, the ball will move right relatively.
    If you nudge at the exact time it hits a rubber then the nudge or slap will combine with the natural bounce and the direction you nudge in. So if this is true (and I'm unsure that it is) how do you execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM coz I just can't do them?

You have the right idea but you're combining two different nudges. When the ball is going down the middle, you want to move the table left or right (the slap/slide/nudge part) so the the ball, relatively, is now within reach of a flipper, not so you can impart extra oomph to the flipper rubber.

When you're doing outlane nudging and trying to get the ball out of that area, you ARE trying to add that little extra oomph to ensure the ball doesn't settle there, but bounces out.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Good video. I watched it on youtube a while back. A couple times actually.Have you made any others?

Not instructional. Bowen's videos on pinball.org are really good and cover most everything.

I will probably do a part 2 on the nudging at some point. I just finished a new camera rig so I can start recording my home games. I want to do some where I'm recording the game overhead but also have a camera on the tilt bob so people can see both at the same time.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Since were talking about skills let me bring up something else I've been working on, my back hand. I'll use Jackbot for example since that's what I'm playing the most right now. On the left side I've got the ramp and cashier just to the right of the ramp. Both shots ive made many times from my left flipper. It seems like when I make them the ball has some momentum to it. Those are great shots to be able to make from the left flipper. The problem I'm having is I can't make the shots at will. If I trap the ball on the left flipper and try to back hand it I get nothing once or twice I've been able to gently bump the ball enough to have it just clear the left slingshot and come down the inlane. This will give me enough momentum to backhand those shots but it aint easy. I feel like I'm missing something on the backhand. Should I be able to make those shots from a stopped trapped ball?

My theory on backhanding is that one of the reasons it's often safer than fore-handing certain shots is because there's less side to side momentum when done from a trap. The other reason is because a backhand shot tends to have less power than a fore-hand shot. Less power + less side to side momentum means that if you miss, the ball is less likely to go flying around like crazy.

Doesn't mean that backhanding on the fly is never good, though. I have seen players backhand the left ramp on ACDC on the fly over and over no problem. As with anything, the more consistent your shooting, the more options open up.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Problem with that video is it's not clear exactly when to nudge. The way I see it, if you nudge or slap when the ball isn't touching a rubber the table will move and the ball will stay still so if you slap the right side, the ball will move right relatively. If you nudge at the exact time it hits a rubber then the nudge or slap will combine with the natural bounce and the direction you nudge in. So if this is true (and I'm unsure that it is) how do you execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM coz I just can't do them?

I made a new video and slowed it down as much as the software would left me.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

playing visual pinball also helps. because you start to realise when and where to nudge faster than playing real pin.
    i always know when and where to nudge. the real problem is finding how much can you do it on every machine. some machines let you drag the machine half a meter to the side and others give you a tilt just by coughing too hard

If you're playing in competition and you get a crappy ball, like a couple flips and then a side drain, you can intentionally give the machine a good shake to try and generate a warning. That way you'll have an idea of how sensitive it is. You'll also leave the bob swinging a little for the next guy, and if he's impatient and jumps right on instead of letting it settle, you get a little advantage.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-knew-stance-was-so-important?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.