(Topic ID: 25293)

Who knew stance was so important.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball_girl.jpg
    larry_craig.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I consider myself an average player at best. I play everyday and often get frustrated with certain skills I am having trouble with. I can trap, post pass and live catch just fine. Im also a fairly accurate shooter most of the time. My biggest hurdle has been nudging. I cant get it right to save my life. Most of the time I see the ball move toward the out lane, I stare at it, then watch it go down. My first thought "WHY DIDNT I NUDGE?" Its like I have the reflexes of a turtle. Am I that old? No i'm not.
    The poll the other day about leaning on your palms when playing got me thinking, I do lean on my palms. I do it all the time and with all my weight. How am I going to nudge like that? I experimented a little. To nudge I need some center of gravity. I need to be able to push and pull, forward, backward, left and right. Shake the machine and yell at it. (no center of gravity needed for yelling). I was being a lazy player. I've been very conscious of my stance since then and its helping tremendously. I still suck at nudging but at least now i'm practicing and not just leaning there moving my index fingers. Im getting less of those"WHY DIDNT I NUDGE?" moments. I feel young again and i've put up a high score on JB. 5.5 bil is pretty good in my house with it being a new machine. So my question to you is, Whats the best way to practice nudging?

#2 11 years ago

I would really love some tips. I have a hell of a time with it, partly because my arms aren't amazingly muscular or anything. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage for nudging to begin with. I am pathetic at it, and I really want to get better at pinball.

#3 11 years ago

I've just recently wanted to learn to do some cool moves, but have no idea how to go about it. Are there instructional videos somewhere? I'm afraid to nudge also, and usually just watch the ball go out the outlane.

#4 11 years ago

Stance is very important, took me a year or two to find the proper balance and position with my legs. Nudging is the same, takes practice to get your grove. It is mostly timing and knowing the machine and how it reacts. Once you do, it becomes a natural reaction and you do it without thinking about it. The important part is you are thinking "why did I not nudge it?", that is creating the reaction pathways in your brain which soon will become natural reaction. Just keep playing!!

#5 11 years ago

Stance is very important. You shouldn't, however, need a ton of leverage to nudge a machine.
    A good nudger is subtle, especially if the tilt is set reasonably (as opposed to missing/off).

larry_craig.jpglarry_craig.jpg

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I was being a lazy player.

This.

I have to be conscious of it myself. It's easy to do when playing by yourself. I'm less likely to play lazy if I'm playing against someone.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

I would really love some tips. I have a hell of a time with it, partly because my arms aren't amazingly muscular or anything. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage for nudging to begin with. I am pathetic at it, and I really want to get better at pinball.

As the OP mentioned, if you're putting weight on your palms, i.e. using the game as a giant walker, then forward nudging is really a non-starter.

I made a nudging basics video. I threw it together for a presentation or something and should probably make a better one, but you might find some of it useful.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

As the OP mentioned, if you're putting weight on your palms, i.e. using the game as a giant walker, then forward nudging is really a non-starter.
    I made a nudging basics video. I threw it together for a presentation or something and should probably make a better one, but you might find some of it useful.
    » YouTube video

Good video. I watched it on youtube a while back. A couple times actually.Have you made any others?

#9 11 years ago

Problem with that video is it's not clear exactly when to nudge. The way I see it, if you nudge or slap when the ball isn't touching a rubber the table will move and the ball will stay still so if you slap the right side, the ball will move right relatively. If you nudge at the exact time it hits a rubber then the nudge or slap will combine with the natural bounce and the direction you nudge in. So if this is true (and I'm unsure that it is) how do you execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM coz I just can't do them?

#10 11 years ago

You need a good power stance, anything where you're rooted to the ground 100% of the weight on the balls of your feet. Quick flips and slaps are required, so weight on your palms is out.

As for nudging, here's the only information you need:

1) You move the table under the ball. So if you need the ball to move left you have to nudge the machine right (UNDER the ball... it rolls).

2) The biggest mistake is the belief that your goal is to nudge the ball to go down your inlane, instead of your outlane. While this can be the case, it's almost never your goal. If the ball is headed towards the in/out lanes your goal is to nudge "up". Both palms should give a good pop to the lock bar straight forward right as the ball is about to touch the centre post between the lanes. The goal is to bounce the ball straight up. Almost every machine has an angled bumper above the outlanes, if you nudge well it will hit this and return to the centre of the playfield. Your goal is to get the ball out of the lanes entirely.

3) Sometimes you'll need to nudge during the game, for example to kick the ball off a wall to stop it from feeding to the slings.

4) Nudging hard enough to trip the pops can keep your ball in the jets longer.

5) The goal is not to really move the machine (well it can be, but not typically), you're simply adding kinetic energy to increase the degree of bounce you're getting off posts, etc. So you don't want to grab and shove, it's really just a "pop".

6) Beware "popping" your palm into the corner of the lockbar. Serious bruising can result.

That's all the gunching advice I have for now.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

how do you execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM

This is hard, because it's not always possible. But here's what you're doing:

You're slapping the machine (on the flipper button) on the side closest to the ball. So when the ball is coming down slightly to the right of dead centre (if it's truly dead centre you're pooched, unless the tilt is extremely lax) you want to slap the right flipper button hard enough for the tip of your flipper to just catch enough of the ball so you can immediately slap the left flipper and get enough of the ball to take it out of danger. It's a quick 1-2 slap-slap, a tip then dig.

Post edited by SeanLind : spelling

#12 11 years ago

If the ball is coming SDTM, you can usually get away with a double danger slide. It helps if you put one of your feet on one of the legs, and kind of twist your ankle(less painful than it sounds) to force the machine to move a lot very quickly. If the legs are taped or something, same theory, just one good hard shove to the tip of one flipper. When the ball just reaches the very tip, hitting the flipper will often just send the ball straight sideways. This is when you need to hit the other flipper right afterward. It is commonplace to seemingly hit both flippers at once when actually you are rapidly hitting one after the other to save. After a lot of practice this becomes natural, even during intense multiballs.

As for outlane nudging, it's all about the little bumps. If you bump the machine really hard just as the ball hits the post between the lanes, without actually moving the machine significantly, you should avoid a danger, because the pendulum doesn't care how sharp an impact is, it only cares how far the machine moves. One other thing that you'll see advanced players do is to actually nudge the ball towards the outlane. Especially when you can tell the ball is about to hit the side wall on really open outlanes, giving the machine a good hard sharp nudge right when the ball meets the side wall(or rubber post above the outlane) will often make the ball bounce right out of the outlane. It is pretty impressive when you see it done.

My favourite type of game for practicing nudging is an old EM with little flippers. Due to the slower, floatier nature of these games, even a novice can see major results from a sharp upward shove that barely moves the tilt pendulum, like when trying to nudge the ball to a certain top lane. I can reliably make a ball bounce about 150% as high as it would have when bouncing off the top of a rubber post on these games, you have to think about it at first but after a while you get the feel for it. Also, wide outlanes often found on ems make good practice for bouncing the ball off the outer wall.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Problem with that video is it's not clear exactly when to nudge. The way I see it, if you nudge or slap when the ball isn't touching a rubber the table will move and the ball will stay still so if you slap the right side, the ball will move right relatively.
    If you nudge at the exact time it hits a rubber then the nudge or slap will combine with the natural bounce and the direction you nudge in. So if this is true (and I'm unsure that it is) how do you execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM coz I just can't do them?

You have the right idea but you're combining two different nudges. When the ball is going down the middle, you want to move the table left or right (the slap/slide/nudge part) so the the ball, relatively, is now within reach of a flipper, not so you can impart extra oomph to the flipper rubber.

When you're doing outlane nudging and trying to get the ball out of that area, you ARE trying to add that little extra oomph to ensure the ball doesn't settle there, but bounces out.

#14 11 years ago

Good video. I watched it on youtube a while back. A couple times actually.Have you made any others?

Not instructional. Bowen's videos on pinball.org are really good and cover most everything.

I will probably do a part 2 on the nudging at some point. I just finished a new camera rig so I can start recording my home games. I want to do some where I'm recording the game overhead but also have a camera on the tilt bob so people can see both at the same time.

#15 11 years ago

let me try, but on simple and quick mode:

-put the palms on the machine if you want, but without the weight of the body on them.

-to nudge: hit the machine on the side you want the ball to go to. hit on the right, ball goes to your right. hit left....

-hit the machine with a fast slap. no letting you body's weight get into the machine.

-to execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM, most of the times you have to do a half an inch drag on the machine. just a little drag, and very quick. most of the times you get away with it.

#16 11 years ago

Since were talking about skills let me bring up something else I've been working on, my back hand. I'll use jackbot for example since that's what I'm playing the most right now. On the left side I've got the ramp and cashier just to the right of the ramp. Both shots ive made many times from my left flipper. It seems like when I make them the ball has some momentum to it. Those are great shots to be able to make from the left flipper. The problem I'm having is I can't make the shots at will. If I trap the ball on the left flipper and try to back hand it I get nothing once or twice I've been able to gently bump the ball enough to have it just clear the left slingshot and come down the inlane. This will give me enough momentum to backhand those shots but it aint easy. I feel like I'm missing something on the backhand. Should I be able to make those shots from a stopped trapped ball?

#17 11 years ago

Should I be able to make those shots from a stopped trapped ball?

it depends on the machine and your skill.
    what i always do to improve my skills at any machine is try to figure out all the possibilities of all shots. so you know what you can and cannot do. because every missed shot is a potential drain.
    do you know what i am saying? for instance on you jackbot, figure out trying a million times if it is possible or not to backhand the ramp with the ball stopped. cuzz if it isnt, and if you try it anyway you will get the ball out of control. so you know in advance you cannot do it

good skill is needed of course.
    on my congo, the backhand shot of the left ramp with the ball stopped was impossible. i tried it a bunch of times and i knew i couldnt do it.
    then one day i changed all the rubbers. so i went to try all the possibilities again and hey.. the backhand of the left ramp became possible! LOL
    this means every tinny adjustment can change some details that you can use at your advantage..

#18 11 years ago

I find red rubbers allow me to make shots I could never make with black rubbers. I also find for me it's much easier to get control of the ball with red rubbers. When I buy a game with black rubbers and play for a while then switch to red I almost feel like I'm cheating it gets south easier to control the ball.

#19 11 years ago

Since were talking about skills let me bring up something else I've been working on, my back hand. I'll use Jackbot for example since that's what I'm playing the most right now. On the left side I've got the ramp and cashier just to the right of the ramp. Both shots ive made many times from my left flipper. It seems like when I make them the ball has some momentum to it. Those are great shots to be able to make from the left flipper. The problem I'm having is I can't make the shots at will. If I trap the ball on the left flipper and try to back hand it I get nothing once or twice I've been able to gently bump the ball enough to have it just clear the left slingshot and come down the inlane. This will give me enough momentum to backhand those shots but it aint easy. I feel like I'm missing something on the backhand. Should I be able to make those shots from a stopped trapped ball?

My theory on backhanding is that one of the reasons it's often safer than fore-handing certain shots is because there's less side to side momentum when done from a trap. The other reason is because a backhand shot tends to have less power than a fore-hand shot. Less power + less side to side momentum means that if you miss, the ball is less likely to go flying around like crazy.

Doesn't mean that backhanding on the fly is never good, though. I have seen players backhand the left ramp on ACDC on the fly over and over no problem. As with anything, the more consistent your shooting, the more options open up.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

» YouTube video

I was just about to recommend this video!

When I am lazy as hell and don't give a shit I tend to lean on the table. If I know I am going to have to "play hard" and will be nudging like crazy I have almost no weight on the table and tend to physically move around a lot more. Pinball is way more physical, and calls for a lot more finesse, than a lot of people realize.

On the flip side, in competition I tend to muscle the machines into a tilt a LOT.

Quoted from jonnyo:

My theory on backhanding

Definitely agree. Horizontal + speed vs. vertical. IMO you can sometimes predict what the ball is going to do off a cross flipper (and make it a little less hairy) utilizing basic billiard's style geometry on some tables. WPT's bank targets are a super obvious example of this. They become very controllable and rarely give a random result if you get a feel for the machine and just work the possible trajectory out in your head. They don't have to become random, scary, uncontrollable shit you hit while going for other stuff. *shrug* 2-cents nobody asked for.

#21 11 years ago

I think the biggest barrier to nudging is mental. At the start you have to consciously force yourself to do it and do it consistently, so it stops being a decision and becomes a reflex.

once it becomes a reflex, trial and error will identify what you do it what situation. It becomes rote in a way, but it can't unless you do it.

I come to the same realization as you earlier this year that I needed to be a little more aggressive is seeking control over the ball. I am still much the wailer, but do use more control than I did.

Unconscious incompetence-you do not know how bad you are.
    Conscious incompetence-you are aware of how bad you are.
    Conscious competence-you are getting better while thinking about what to do.
    Unconscious competence-you are better without needing to think about it any longer.

The natural order of developing any skill. Sounds like you are between 2 and 3 and moving onto four in due course.

Dan

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Problem with that video is it's not clear exactly when to nudge. The way I see it, if you nudge or slap when the ball isn't touching a rubber the table will move and the ball will stay still so if you slap the right side, the ball will move right relatively. If you nudge at the exact time it hits a rubber then the nudge or slap will combine with the natural bounce and the direction you nudge in. So if this is true (and I'm unsure that it is) how do you execute a 'slap save' to stop a SDTM coz I just can't do them?

I made a new video and slowed it down as much as the software would left me.

#23 11 years ago

so cool videos

#24 11 years ago

my stance since then and its helping tremendously

I watch my wife and kids play, and they stand over the machines, on their palms.

To me you must stand back and watch the ball come to you, see what’s going on, be at one (maybe). I think it’s a bit like playing tennis, make the machine part of you.

PS I suck at nudging too!!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

» YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Awesome. So it's quite clear that you slap the side that you want the ball to move towards. You also slap it at the same time as you want to flip it. That's cleared it up perfectly. Now to practice!

I agree with whoever said to overuse nudging techniques until it becomes instinctive then rein it back to only use when really needed. I suppose it helps to adjust your tilt settings for practicing too.

#26 11 years ago

The reason it's a slap is that you need to use the flipper button at the same time. The only way to do this is to have your hand open which results in you slapping the side of the game. Otherwise it's a nudge pure and simple.
    You need to be balanced in your stance. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction so if you are not firmly planted all you'll do is push yourself the other way (the machine having more mass than most of us, Todd excepted!).
    An upward nudge increases the speed the ball contacts the rubber resulting in more ball movement. This is why an upward movement can often remove the ball from an outlane as it reacts with the rubber dividing the lanes, often bouncing right out of the area!
    You can sometines counter the tilt if you've nudged heavily (or intend to) by nudging back the opposite way so contering the swing of the tilt bob.

None of this worked last night on Avatar!

#27 11 years ago

The last few days I've been playing a lot. Not for score but for practice. All nudging practice. It's going remarkably well. I'm turning into a pro nudger. A very low ranked pro nudger but pro nun the less. It's a great feeling when a ball is headed for certain death and you save it.

#28 11 years ago

playing visual pinball also helps. because you start to realise when and where to nudge faster than playing real pin.

i always know when and where to nudge. the real problem is finding how much can you do it on every machine. some machines let you drag the machine half a meter to the side and others give you a tilt just by coughing too hard

#29 11 years ago

You must be deeply rooted in the Tau, young Grasshopper.

#30 11 years ago

I have a hard time nudging on my Indy. I am sure it has something to do with either the pinball sitting on carpet or the front leg adjusters are all the way down but the thing just doesnt move. I slap it and it doesn't budge. I have put wood flooring samples from Home Depot under the legs to get it from sinking into the carpet and it has helped a lil bit but not much.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

» YouTube video
    » YouTube video

That video is both educational AND comically brilliant! Thanks for both elements.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from oopsallberrys:

I have a hard time nudging on my Indy. I am sure it has something to do with either the pinball sitting on carpet or the front leg adjusters are all the way down but the thing just doesnt move. I slap it and it doesn't budge. I have put wood flooring samples from Home Depot under the legs to get it from sinking into the carpet and it has helped a lil bit but not much.

You could always loosen the legs so that you can spring it around without the legs moving.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinBilly:

You could always loosen the legs so that you can spring it around without the legs moving.

hmm that may work; you mean loosen the leg bolts? I don't want the legs to move much and mess up my cab. I am sure when I put the bolts on I tightened them as much as possible.

#34 11 years ago

I just loosened the leg bolts a bit and WOW thats a big difference. It moves!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from oopsallberrys:

I just loosened the leg bolts a bit and WOW thats a big difference. It moves!

Seems like that would be hell on the cab. Hope you have cad protector under those legs.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

playing visual pinball also helps. because you start to realise when and where to nudge faster than playing real pin.
    i always know when and where to nudge. the real problem is finding how much can you do it on every machine. some machines let you drag the machine half a meter to the side and others give you a tilt just by coughing too hard

If you're playing in competition and you get a crappy ball, like a couple flips and then a side drain, you can intentionally give the machine a good shake to try and generate a warning. That way you'll have an idea of how sensitive it is. You'll also leave the bob swinging a little for the next guy, and if he's impatient and jumps right on instead of letting it settle, you get a little advantage.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

If you're playing in competition and you get a crappy ball, like a couple flips and then a side drain, you can intentionally give the machine a good shake to try and generate a warning. That way you'll have an idea of how sensitive it is. You'll also leave the bob swinging a little for the next guy, and if he's impatient and jumps right on instead of letting it settle, you get a little advantage.

Clever, very very clever. I like it!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

You'll also leave the bob swinging a little for the next guy, and if he's impatient and jumps right on instead of letting it settle, you get a little advantage.

haha!! never heard that one

i only entered a competition once. it was a small local tournament for guys of a portuguese forum.
    i was so nervous i didnt even pay attention to the tilt. i simply didnt do any hard nudges at all.. i dont know way.. maybe the stress? lol
    anyway i won the tournament muahhahahahahah

#39 11 years ago

Stance is very important!

PorkChopExpress

pinball_girl.jpgpinball_girl.jpg

#40 11 years ago

Clever, very very clever. I like it!

This why you will see the next player take time before playing. I have heard it said that the bob can swing for up to 3 minutes.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

This why you will see the next player take time before playing. I have heard it said that the bob can swing for up to 3 minutes.

What do you call a man with no arms and no legs floating in a pool?

Bob.

Lol, couldn't resist.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-knew-stance-was-so-important and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.