(Topic ID: 93019)

Who keeps moving my EM Midway Monster Gun help post?

By TomT

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

icon_smile.gif

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Someone keeps moving my em Midway Monster Gun help post from EM Hangout to the "Off Topic" bar, can someone tell me why?

#2 5 years ago

Just trying to figure out why my post was moved to off topic saying "this is not a pinball machine" when the em forum is full of posts on helicopter games, baseball machines, bowlers and like Monster Gun em rifle games!

#3 5 years ago

pm a mod and ask them to move it back...

i REALLY hope that the em portion of this forum doesn't start getting overly moderated like that... that will make it more difficult for those of us who use the site...

#4 5 years ago

Ah...been thrown in with the outcast! I think I have about 4 topics out there somewhere!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

pm a mod and ask them to move it back...
    i REALLY hope that the em portion of this forum doesn't start getting overly moderated like that... that will make it more difficult for those of us who use the site...

Agree - leave EM in EM - it is the "EM hangout" for goodness sakes.

#6 5 years ago

How do I find a mod to pm about this?

#7 5 years ago

2nd time a moderator has moved the "Show us your EM Gun Games" topic so now it is lost as well in the "Off Topic" section.

I'm done trying to keep it in the EM forum so if you want to find it here it is:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-show-us-your-em-gun-games

Ken

#8 5 years ago

My EM post about my Surf Champ issue was switched to TEM. and was buried so deep I still can't find it. Took me awhile to figure it out. Similar tech posts have stayed in EM though.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

2nd time a moderator has moved the "Show us your EM Gun Games" topic so now it is lost as well in the "Off Topic" section.
    I'm done trying to keep it in the EM forum so if you want to find it here it is:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-show-us-your-em-gun-games
    Ken

Crap I wondered what happened to that topic it was one of my favorites to follow! So can we find out who the moderator is that keeps messing in the EM Hangout? Seems like we need someone different to moderate it there is so much less drama in the em world we don't need to be babysat just let us be.

#10 5 years ago

I agree...the EM gun topic should stay with the EM's.

I'll give ya 24 hours.....and I bet THIS "topic" will vanish too!

#11 5 years ago

yes. Moderators please move the topics back. In the EM world all these games are the same relays and switches and units with a different interface on top

--Jeff

#12 5 years ago

If yall want you can click report for abuse at the top and fill out the form with a category of other. The more people that do this , the better chance we have of having the topics moved back

#13 5 years ago

I am the one who moved them. EM HANGOUT Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines.
    Abuse of power. That is funny. Excuse me for doing my job.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I am the one who moved them. EM HANGOUT Talk about electro-mechanical pinball machines.

I don't like "abuse of power" allegations but it'd be really nice if EM stuff stayed her e- unless there are folks complaining about it.

Thanks

#15 5 years ago

Under the main "Electro-Mechanical" sub-forum, could we please have something like "EM Pinball Machines", "EM Arcade Games" and "EM Tech"? There just isn't enough of an EM crowd to spread among the broader sub-forums. And there's currently no peer sub-forum to "EM Hangout" anyway, so not sure why there's a parent "Electro-Mechanical" forum (but it was brilliant foresight for allowing all EM-related sub-forums to be co-located).

Thank you.

#16 5 years ago

sealclubber... while all of us understand that there need to be rules, i (and apparently others) believe that a more liberal application of them should be in order here...

in this case, the op has a FAR better chance of getting his question answered if it is left in the place where the majority of forum members who own em machines (both pinball and others) congregate... the forum then is useful to the op... if his question is buried in the off topic section (a place where many never venture), the forum is not useful to him...

if the em sub-forum was being overrun with such posts, then a more heavy handed approach would be in order... but it isn't... it is a few posts, and (importantly, imo) it does not seem to negatively affect the people who actually participate in the em sub-forum...

and finally, it's not like the em hangout is a combat zone... we behave ourselves, and we'd like you guys to throw us a bone here...

one man's opinion... we gotta play by the rules of the site, but we'd like you to consider our pov...

#17 5 years ago

My initial intentions (when it was decided to include EM games on the Pinside) were to have one main entry point for EM fans. But then Tech:EM went under the Tech section because all other generations were there already. So i'm not sure what would be the best thing to do about that at this point.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Under the main "Electro-Mechanical" sub-forum, could we please have something like "EM Pinball Machines", "EM Arcade Games" and "EM Tech"?

I do like the idea of some more specific sub-forums in the EM main forum, instead of a single "hangout" and I am open for suggestions, so let's hear it. What sections do you guys think we need under the main EM forum?

I also agree that, when it comes to EM, we can be a bit broader and also allow discussion on flipperless games, and even electro mechanical arcade games.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas and I will see what can be done to improve the Pinside experience for you EM fans, after all EM games are the grandparents of modern pinball

#18 5 years ago

thanks for chiming in robin... and thanks for endorsing the idea of a broader discussion in the em hangout...

to be honest, i'm not really even sure how much granularity is really needed... the great majority of em games, whether they be pinballs or arcades, and regardless of manufacturer, are essentially "the same"... it isn't like "modern" games, where there is stark differentiation between an alphanumeric game and a woz...

#19 5 years ago

I don't see any granularity needed until the EM hangout is just over run with too many posts. The EM Tech issue is a little more complicated - I'd prefer that to be with EM - or even removed, but I understand the desire to have the tech section organized.

#20 5 years ago

I would vote for the EM Tech form to be included under both the EM hangout and Tech subforum.
    I dont know if your db struct can currently support multiple parent keys tho.

I might vote for an EM pinball and an EM Game sub forum.

Using the other forums as an example you could use the granularity OR you could look at EM Hangout and see everything

So i guess my vote is the same as Dirts

Just my 2 Cents. Hmm I wonder if ABT makes a 2 cent coin slide?

--Jeff

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I am open for suggestions, so let's hear it. What sections do you guys think we need under the main EM forum?

Thanks for getting in contact with us robin.

It seems like the best start would be to have at least 3 sub forums under the EM Hangout.

EM Tech
    EM Restorations
    EM Arcade Games

This would at least give us some basic sub forums in EM as opposed to zero right now and these 3 seem to be the most talked about subjects here.

Hopefully others chime in with agreement to these basics.

Thanks again,

Ken

#22 5 years ago

as long as i can select them all at one time (like the way the other parts of the forum work), the categories don't matter to me...

if "em tech" could be cross referenced into the em hangout, even better... complete one stop shopping...

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

we can be a bit broader and also allow discussion on flipperless games, and even electro mechanical arcade games.

Can we get flipperless pinballs added to the database? I didn't realize they were not included (with the exception of baseballs and hyperball and 1932 Ballyhoo) before asking recently to have one added.

#24 5 years ago

I'm very confused by all of this.

People are making reference to the Tech: EM subcategory, but I don't see that at all. All I see is Electro-Mechanical as the main forum heading, and the only sub heading is "EM Hangout".

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

People are making reference to the Tech: EM subcategory, but I don't see that at all. All I see is Electro-Mechanical as the main forum heading, and the only sub heading is "EM Hangout".

before the website change, all em "stuff" lived in the em hangout... when they changed, they created the "tech" subforum, and began to move all the tech questions to the "tech em" section there...

as you might be able to tell, many are still uncomfortable with the change, myself included...

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yeah - It isn't ideal. EM folks need the simplicity of one forum.

#27 5 years ago

Got it. Well, if my first trip to the EM specific sub forum is any indication, the current setup isn't very intuitive.

Seems more intuitive to have all of the EM stuff under the EM heading, tech or otherwise, even if they want to add a EM Tech sub forum under the EM umbrella.

#28 5 years ago

Seems to me like a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. This is a pinball site, right? I think sealclubber acted reasonably in putting a thread about an arcade game into the OT section.

#29 5 years ago

says the guy with no EMs

#30 5 years ago

It's not really about the EM; people are complaining about the moderator. Seen from his perspective, I could understand why he did it. He acted reasonably, IMO.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Yikes! Save the seals- but not the EM's?!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

It's not really about the EM; people are complaining about the moderator. Seen from his perspective, I could understand why he did it. He acted reasonably, IMO.

Thanks - no argument there - the point is that perhaps the policy should change, and it sounds like that is indeed the direction things are headed. I am just pleased that it is in a friendly manner, which is common to the EM hangout.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I do like the idea of some more specific sub-forums in the EM main forum, instead of a single "hangout" and I am open for suggestions, so let's hear it. What sections do you guys think we need under the main EM forum?

Please, no. Why complicate things? I can visit here on a daily basis and get caught up in no time at all. There just aren't that many posts about EM machines. All sub-forums would do is make it more difficult to navigate. This way I can see everything that's happening in the EM world with one click. It's perfect.

In fact, I've been hanging around here for over a year, and until this thread I had no idea there was another forum called EM Tech. I just assumed those questions went here.

#34 5 years ago

Pinside is a fabulous & highly professional site. It is that way because it is overall well structured & organised and a strong discipline exists, particularly through moderation, to ensure the site maintains its charter & high reputation.
    But like everything in life there must be balance to ensure that site discipline does not dilute the function of the site and the interests of its participants. Within this thread there are many examples where this important balance has been tipped towards discipline. At a personal level I have had posts transferred from the EM Hangout to other sections and in so doing the efficacy of the original post has been destroyed. This is most unfortunate and in my view needs to be corrected.
    Earlier posts have pointed to the particular dynamics of the EM machine (in all its forms) and the overlap between the various forums (for EM at least). I have not read in this thread nor feel that any good purpose is served by sustaining sub-forums under EM Hangout. Indeed those sub-forums seem to have a detrimental impact over EM participants having a single source of engagement & information.
    As an initial step I suggest that no further Moderator action be taken within EM to transfer posts and that EM participants generally use the EM Hangout for all EM specific & closely related issues.

#35 5 years ago

Sorry SealClubber this wasn't meant as an attack on the moderator at all and if it came off that way I apolagize I just wanted to know why my post was moved when so many others werent.

#36 5 years ago

In the past 24 hours there have been 12 active posts in the EM hangout and 8 in the EM tech section. I don't think we need any more splitting into sub-forums.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmiller:

In fact, I've been hanging around here for over a year, and until this thread I had no idea there was another forum called EM Tech. I just assumed those questions went here.

That's exactly the point though - there are EM topics spread elsewhere, and not underneath the "Electro-Mechanical" sub-forum.

Currently there's Home>>Forum>>Electro-Mechanical>>EM Hangout.
    "EM Hangout" is already a sub-forum to "Electro-Mechanical". If you click on either "Electro-Mechanical" or "EM Hangout", you get EM Hangout.

If EM Hangout and EM Tech went away, there could just be Electro-Mechanical, and everything would be back in one place. That would be fine!

Or if there were:
    Electro-Mechanical>>EM Pinball
    Electro-Mechanical>>EM Tech

You could still click on Electro-Mechanical and get them all in one place. That would be fine too.

Or if there were other 'peer' sub-forums behind Electro-Mechanical, still would be able to get them all in one click.

I do agree there really isn't that much traffic to have very refined splits, if any. But if there are splits, at least having them all under Electro-Mechanical provides us EM folks one portal.

#38 5 years ago

Robin has given us the opportunity to comment on the the EM Forum structure.

I like EM pinball's have a bingo game and always wanted a gun game. Will eventually get a SS or two. I would like all EM games discussed here, as I like reading the threads to learn more.

I slept on the topic and am quite sure we could improve things with a few sub forums under the Electro-Mechanical Forum structure and review again in 6 months whether we need sub forums at all. So my thought is more similar to Ken's as his seems the simplest idea and I will give his reply a thumbs up to record my view.

Good discussion that is also why I like Pinside. Possibly if we all vote or offer or thoughts with a thumbs up we can assist in the way forward.
    Regards Steve J. icon_smile.gif

#39 5 years ago

My two cents:

Electro-Mechanical
    - EM Hangout - to discuss games, features, price checks, the ongoing and useless 23,435 post threads etc.
    - Tech - For tech issues related to pinball and any EM arcade games
    - Arcade - Shooters, bowlers, roll-downs, etc.

Or...really, dump it all into one, including Tech. I really would prefer that, actually.

#40 5 years ago

Seems obvious that most of the guys who visit the EM portion of the forum regularly would prefer everything relating to EMs be under one roof. I would agree with that.

What really doesn't make sense under the current system is to have the EM Tech under a completely separate heading outside of the EM forum.

#41 5 years ago

I vote for all EM to be under one EM forum just seems easier as of now and maybe review in 6 mo or a year.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Seems obvious that most of the guys who visit the EM portion of the forum regularly would prefer everything relating to EMs be under one roof. I would agree with that.
    What really doesn't make sense under the current system is to have the EM Tech under a completely separate heading outside of the EM forum.

yea, a few of us whined most mightily about that too...

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

the ongoing and useless 23,435 post threads etc.

what is useless to some has great value to others... let us continue to play nice, ok?

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

Yeah - It isn't ideal. EM folks need the simplicity of one forum.

I would agree.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Or if there were:
    Electro-Mechanical>>EM Pinball
    Electro-Mechanical>>EM Tech
    Etc

You could still click on Electro-Mechanical and get them all in one place.

This is my vote. You can still access the EM Hangout as a 1 click stop if you click on ELECTRO-MECHANICAL
    OR you could look at granular sub categories so everyone could use the forum as they see fit.

Nice discussion BTW, quite civil
    --Jeff

#46 5 years ago

I would like all it all (hangout, tech, arcade) under one banner. I'm VERY interested in anything 'EM' so having it all together is fine. Agree with 'newmantjn' that having sub-heads under EM for tech, etc. would be OK as well.

I spend 99.9% of my time on the two EM tabs. I even like it when people post 'for sale' in the EM section vs. the Market as there I have to shift through a bunch of SS or DMD games that I don't have interest in.

By the way, not knocking the other types of games, it's all about relevancy. I love cars and can appreciate a '30's Packard or 2000's Porsche, but I grew up in Detroit in the 60-70's so what I really like are 60's - (early) 70's American cars. Same goes for pinball (although I didn't play early-mid 60' pins much and I think I enjoy those the most now).

#47 5 years ago

The topics in question make much more sense in the EM forums than they do in some general "off topic" catch-all. I vote to put them back where they came from and leave them alone in the future. I also agree with having everything EM related in one main forum. This website isn't nearly popular enough to warrant a sub-category for every possible situation. Especially when it comes to EMs. Just my two cents, carry on.

#48 5 years ago

Yep! EM Hangout sounds like anything EM, so if it ain't broke.....

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

In the past 24 hours there have been 12 active posts in the EM hangout and 8 in the EM tech section. I don't think we need any more splitting into sub-forums.

This is, I think, the best point.

Thanks for the input everyone! Keeping things simple I have simply decided -for now- to allow non-pinball EM topics in the EM section of Pinside.

I have also decided to move the existing EM:Tech sub-forum into EM. A sticky in the "old" main tech forum will notify users about this.

I have update forum descriptions where neccesary to specifically mention that discussion can be about *anything EM* (that means pinball but also bingo, arcade or anything else EM).

I have also made a note about this to the moderators, so they should now no longer mark non-pinball discussion as Off Topic if it's about EM games.

#50 5 years ago

Thank you Robin!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 92.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 21.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside