(Topic ID: 164497)

Who is your least favourite designer and why ?

By Flippermatt

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg
    image-17_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I wouldn't exactly credit that to him.

totally different goemetry! Skateball plays great. Flash is a turd.

#27 7 years ago

I dont think there is a designer I dislike. I find interesting and fun things from all of them.

#39 7 years ago

I will say that John T and Lawlor are by far my favorite designers!

I think John has done the best job of consistently putting out new and fun games over the years. mid 80s GTB games that are amazing, mid 90s Creature (I hate this one because of code but still like the layout) and Congo, and now the new era with GhostBusters (possibly his best package due to design and combined with great foundation code (still pleanty of room to grow and looking forward to what Mr Sullivan does with it)

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Isn't John Trudeau the designer that likes to space the flippers further apart. I would be all over Ghostbusters if it wasn't for that.

have you played the game much? Teh flipper gap is really not an issue. the game has lots of safe shots with safe returns for controlled play. For example both scoop kickouts are designed so they perfectly kick out to opposing flipper for a passive bounce to the other flipper. Both ramps return to flipper. Orbits are safe returns. Game has alot of safe controlled play and if anything the flipper gap helps to make the game the right amount of difficult. I guess if you want it easier you can install the cheater post but that is not what the designed intended.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

If 95% of all modern DMD games have a fixed distance between flippers why change that formula. If the intention was to make the game more difficult then design it that way with the layout and not cheat by making flippers further apart. We are all used to the way the ball bounces from one flipper to another and with this design we need to fundamentally change the way we play such as dead stops, bounce overs etc. The wider flippers seem like an afterthought in that since the game layout was too forgiving or easy the quick solution was to make the flippers wider. Other than that I love Ghostbusters, just not the wider flipper distance.

John T has been using his own style of bottom (non-Italian) for multiple decades now. He has also never been afraid to play with the bottom geometry (slings, inlane/outlane, nudgeback, and flipper gaps) It you go measure you will find that each designed actually has subtle differences in flipper angle and spacing in realtion to shot geometry. If anything, the majority of all games have some variation.

Wider flipper game is a signature John T thing and definately not an after thougt. If you know the Flash, he is a very cohesive designer. GB is a thing of beauty and really well thought out. The added special sauce is that Dwight obviously really pays attention to the physical nature of the game and worked tightly with John during design so the overall game is very cohesive.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-your-least-favourite-designer-and-why?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.