(Topic ID: 164497)

Who is your least favourite designer and why ?

By Flippermatt

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg
    image-17_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippermatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Who should have done other things than designing pinball ? This has probably been up before but I am refreshing the question. Perhaps you have changed your mind since last time ? What does your least favourite designer totally lack that your favourite has ?

Shoot away

#6 7 years ago

I personally think Barry Oursler games suck. Deep down there is also Joe Kaminkow.

#17 7 years ago

Ok,not all Oursler games...

However that Harley Davidson ,Popeye and Hurricane got approval to go into production is beyond understanding.....

I'd rather play his Cyclone than Hurricane....

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

That's good because you've got four of them in your current collection.

Yes, good intrades and they are leaving except for Grand Lizard.....

#36 7 years ago

Did Oursler pay attention to studying common ball trajectories in his gamess, or he saw them but didn't care, or it wasn't studied at all in generall too deep. PinBot/Jackbot a great portion after every ball launch, will send the ball from the southern most bumper to the left outlane drain. Baam, game can be over in 27 seconds and there is jack s**t one can do about it. The same thing with Space Shuttle.... Game is prone to take the right outlane drain as the top wall is angeled straight for it. The ball savegate is there of course but is ridiculously hard to reopen. Gorgar is another typical example though early in his career and must be forgiven. In very few of the games except for Hurricane, the ball is served to the flippers leaving the player in immediate control... I like Junk Yard but is Oursler's creation less than 50% as he was sacked by Williams in the middle of the project 1996. Interestingly this was long prior to when BWS shut down in 1999.. I asked him about J.Y but knew of no details in the gameplay and referred to Dwight who was in it and finished the project.

Die hard pinballers love Dracula but I know of operators who blocked one drain just to have some positive return to play factor..... I personally like it.

As for Joe Kaminkow I think his engineering and game idea shames the beautiful artwork done by Paul Faris. Such a beautiful game but inferior substandard game in itself. It could have been a killer machine. Check out the gap between those flippers. Don't know if true but Gary Stern got rid of him first thing when he took over...

John T and George G are my true favourites.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Oursler Would be my least favorite. There are lots of his games I really don't care for.
    I've always thought I didn't care for Lawlor games, but I have 3 of them, and Whirlwind is my favorite game of all time. So, that goes out the window.

One can't even begin to compare Oursler with Lawlor... So incredibly shallow save perhaps Jackbot & Dracula... Looking at his record the focus has been more on quantity than quality...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippermatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-your-least-favourite-designer-and-why?tu=flippermatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.