(Topic ID: 164497)

Who is your least favourite designer and why ?

By Flippermatt

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg
    image-17_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flippermatt:

I personally think Barry Oursler games suck. Deep down there is also Joe Kaminkow.

All of Oursler's games? That's harsh.

How many games did Kaminkow actually design? I've always heard it's more of a collaborative effort on the games that list him as a co-designer.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Everyone has good and bad runs. I seriously disagree about Oursler. The quality of his work, especially the early SS games are great! Later on in the DMD era he was partnered with less than stellar software teams and his games tended to be unbalanced.
    There is only a few designers that made real dogs all the time (The market would not tolerate them) and while I'll give him an "A" for effort, this is a 100% barf-tacular record. OK, it's only one game.
    http://ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=Pete%20Piotrowski

Man I love Champions Pub. It's got a Punch-Out feel with the colorful characters you fight and the toys are really neat.

#12 3 years ago

I've posed this question before but how many faults and positives can we attribute to a designer in a game? It seems there are some designers like Trudeau that just love making the trajectory and angles of the playfield and move on once that's done. I'm sure there are others that take a more active role in the software side which greatly impacts the perception of the game by players. Then art and license invariably influences some people's opinions on games.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Wait, what did Python do?
    Also, everyone's gonna hate this but among the major designers, I like Steve Ritchie the least. I know he's the "master of flow" or whatever but I feel like I'm at a batting range when I play his pins and it's really annoying (but I also really love Lawlor's stop and go style so I'm entirely biased).

I'm with you on Steve Ritchie and probably Lawlor is my second least favorite. There are games of theirs that I like but the hype is bigger than the goods in my mind. I tend to enjoy Gomez, Borg, and Trudeau a lot more or more regularly.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

If 95% of all modern DMD games have a fixed distance between flippers why change that formula. If the intention was to make the game more difficult then design it that way with the layout and not cheat by making flippers further apart. We are all used to the way the ball bounces from one flipper to another and with this design we need to fundamentally change the way we play such as dead stops, bounce overs etc. The wider flippers seem like an afterthought in that since the game layout was too forgiving or easy the quick solution was to make the flippers wider. Other than that I love Ghostbusters, just not the wider flipper distance.

I love Trudeau's non traditional layouts and wide flipper gaps. Stern has Gomez, Ritchie, and Borg doing traditional stuff so let John T alone for those of us that don't want the same old, same old. A lot of Jpop's popular features in his Williams designs were revived tricks from the EM era so there are some things to be learned from the past. If there was no innovation, we would all still be playing without flippers.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flippermatt:

Problem with Oursler is he never paid attention to studying common ball trajectories in his gamess, or he saw them but didn't care, or it wasn't studied at all in generall too deep. PinBot/Jackbot a great portion after every ball launch, will send the ball from the southern most bumper to the left outlane drain. Baam, game can be over in 27 seconds and there is jack s**t one can do about it. The same thing with Space Shuttle.... Game is prone to take the right outlane drain as the top wall is angeled straight for it. The ball savegate is there of course but is ridiculously hard to reopen. Gorgar is another typical example though early in his career and must be forgiven. I once asked Oursler about PinBot and the next to 50/50 chance of the immediate left drain and he told me he had never heard about it nor that his outlanes would be wider and more brute than others.... Beta playing in 86 wasn't common ? In very few of the games except for Hurricane, the ball is served to the flippers leaving the player in immediate control... I kind of like Junk Yard but is Oursler's creation less than 50% as he was sacked by Williams in the middle of the project 1996. Interestingly this was long prior to when BWS shut down in 1999.. I asked him about J.Y but knew of no details in the gameplay and referred to Dwight who was in it and finished the project.
    Die hard pinballers love Dracula but I know of operators who blocked one drain just to have some positive return to play factor.....
    As for Joe Kaminkow I think his engineering and game idea shames the beautiful artwork done by Paul Faris. Such a beautiful game but inferior substandard game in itself. It could have been a killer machine. Check out the gap between those flippers. Don't know if true but Gary Stern got rid of him first thing when he took over...
    John T and George G are my true favourites.
    Edit. Snuck out in my gameroom and had a few games of Hurricane and my god it sucks so bad one can't even begin to imagine. No modes, logically then no wizard mode. No ballsave, no multiball restart, pointless multiball, only seven (7) things to shoot for counting the banks as one aim. The playfield is cramped with 50 % wasted and rest blank open.. Did I say it's shallow ? Luckily it is leaving sooner than ever or better torching it.

Speaking of ball trajectories on Dracula, I'm always amazed how often the ball falls in the asylum. It's a shot you can't shoot for yet once a game the ball falls in there.

I'm not sure which game you're speaking of when you talk about Joe K but he was around the whole time Gary Stern was at DE and Sega. I don't know this for sure but I assume Joe left because pinball was dying and he went to other game industries. I know he worked for mobile games maker Zynga and he some slot manufacturers. There is a podcast that has an interview with him I want to listen to.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.95
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 45.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 85.00
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside