(Topic ID: 164497)

Who is your least favourite designer and why ?

By Flippermatt

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg
    image-17_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Caucasian2Step.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

Everyone has good and bad runs. I seriously disagree about Oursler. The quality of his work, especially the early SS games are great! Later on in the DMD era he was partnered with less than stellar software teams and his games tended to be unbalanced.

There is only a few designers that made real dogs all the time (The market would not tolerate them) and while I'll give him an "A" for effort, this is a 100% barf-tacular record. OK, it's only one game.

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=Pete%20Piotrowski

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Man I love Champions Pub. It's got a Punch-Out feel with the colorful characters you fight and the toys are really neat.

I REALLY wanted to like this game too. But after a while the video spitoon mode and jumping rope became a distraction from playing pinball. Once the downward spiral kicked in... From an operator's POV, it was a nightmare. I'm glad you like it, but my preference is to play other tables.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The thing about Oursler is that he did all his games in collaboration with another designer. So, quite often the style of the other designer would dominate and that's why his games seem so different from one another.

His designs pre-Space Shuttle were his own. These are my favorite designs from him earlier on in his career.

1978-11 Phoenix
    1979-09 Time Warp

Gorgar, while not my favorite game, was his biggest seller.

1981-02 Jungle Lord
    1981-07 Solar Fire Williams
    1981-09 Barracora Williams
    1982-06 Cosmic Gunfight Williams
    1982-12 Defender
    1983-03 Time Fantasy
    1983-04 Joust
    1984-06 Star Light

I also have a great memory anchor when I was a kid playing Space Shuttle. I love the Rolloercoaster trilogy (ok, 2 outta 3 ain't bad) Grand Lizard, Pinbot and Space Station are all players. I'll admit to even playing Fire! whenever I can. And later on in the DMD era, Dr. Who, Draculer and Durty Harry are all well respected players.

IF you can't find a game you like from that list... I am happy to session you out with my Solar Fire for an afternoon and see if I can at least get you to like ONE of his games. PM for for address and we will set an appointment.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've posed this question before but how many faults and positives can we attribute to a designer in a game? It seems there are some designers like Trudeau that just love making the trajectory and angles of the playfield and move on once that's done. I'm sure there are others that take a more active role in the software side which greatly impacts the perception of the game by players. Then art and license invariably influences some people's opinions on games.

I was lucky enough to sit down on the patio with JT (we only use each other's initials when we are drinking) at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown a few months ago and we talked about pins. While not trying to gush, I told him that GB was the best of CftBL and Congo in a single pax. The first thing he did was give praise to Dwight Sullivan for the programming work that he did on the game. About a month later I was playing Trent Augenstein at the GB release party at Press Play in Boulder (guess who came in 2st...) and he hit the button code in for the credits. His name was listed as a beta tester. Now if Stern is tapping the best players in the world for feedback with their designs and code as an outside source, this is a great step in the right direction. It takes a village... right? John Trudeau's work is FINALLY getting the treatment it deserves at Stern. I for one, am ecstatic and look for more awesomeness from the Stern Team.

Back to shots and angles, he said that Steve Ritchie is a big fan of the fan. His more recent designs show this. He placed himself closer to Pat Lawlor's philosophy of every shot is to utilize the entirety of the PF. Flow is good, risk/reward through chaotic shots is better. Keeps play times lower and profits to the operator higher. While he recognizes the pull of toys of the PF, he is more focused on using the paths available to the player through ball travel. He also stated that if things work as well as he thought they would with the magno-slings, that we may be seeing more of them in his future designs. I an't wait to see what he comes up with next.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Caucasian2Step.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-your-least-favourite-designer-and-why?tu=Caucasian2Step and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.