(Topic ID: 193875)

Who is "wildcard amusement"? highjacked my website...

By cfh

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 465 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cc (resized).jpg
    IMG_1616 (resized).PNG
    download-5 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1613 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1610 (resized).PNG
    download-4 (resized).jpg
    finish him stooges.gif
    images-13 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1601 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1273 (resized).JPG
    3732572 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1518 (resized).PNG
    220px-Thomas_Crapper_Toilet_Horta_Museum_Branding (resized).jpg
    Star_Wars_Teaching_Much_to_Learn (resized).jpg
    download-2 (resized).jpg
    download-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider randyfromm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 6 years ago

This guy bought my "Package Deal" of book and DVDs (including a PDF copy of my copyrighted "Big Blue Book") just a month ago. To me, this indicates a premeditated action, that he planned to post my copyrighted material on his website.

Order Date
    June 04, 2017
    9:50 AM
    Order Number
    #dt
    Shipping Address
    Eric Mentzer
    [removed]
    Dallastown, PA 17313
    Contact Info
    +1 717-757-7811
    [email protected]
    Buyer Note
    This is being sent to my business address: Berkshire HathawayHomeSale Realty. Please add this to the address label. Thanks, Eric

DVD Super Package Deal $349.95
    Regular
    Subtotal $349.95
    Shipping $12.50
    Tax $0.00
    Total $362.45

#67 6 years ago

I have a copyright attorney on retainer. The way copyright law reads, I am compelled to pursue legal action or risk losing my copyright. It's an odd clause that favors the public against the copyright holder. Cost of doing business . . .

Please have no doubt this will be resolved.

#70 6 years ago

Nothing is ruined. I stand and salute those who "dropped a dime" to me in this regard. I appreciate it very much. There IS hope for humanity.

rf

#72 6 years ago

Yes, I am Randy Fromm.

Thanks. Just doing my job, really.

rf

#93 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip about contacting WIX. I just filed a formal complaint.

Randy Fromm

#102 6 years ago

He still hasn't responded to my numerous contact requests. I think I even called his mommy. She's listed as the DNS contact

#162 6 years ago

Success!

Wix Support <[email protected]>
    4:43 PM (2 hours ago)

to abuse
    ---Please reply above this line---
    Image 1
    Ed (Wix Support)
    July 21, 2017 11:45:05 PM UTC
    Hi,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. The website has been disabled and your complaint has been forwarded in accordance with DMCA procedure.

Regards,
    Ed

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Maybe the guy has a disability or something? Yes, the copyrighted stuff should come down, but the public skewering seems a bit extreme given none of you have even interacted with him. What if he read this shi* and killed himself?

Are you serious? Do you REALLY believe that a disability excuses illegal behavior?

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Anyone can make just about any pinball part they want for older machines and sell them too without licensing anything. The patents on all this stuff (if they ever were patented) have long-expired. Patents are good for 17 years.
    The only pinball parts that require any licensing are newer parts that are still covered by patents and/or anything that has copyrighted artwork.

FYI, copyrights last for 70 years BEYOND the death of the copyright holder.

#194 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They really were aggressive about it if the FBI logo was in there. The video game manufacturers didn't get much help until they got permission to use the FBI logo along with the don't do drugs on the screen. The FBI's interest picked up when their logo was being copied.
    LTG : )

FYI, there was much more to it than a simple copyright notice. The ubiquitous copying of Street Fighter PCBs prompted the formation of AAMA ( the Amusement Machine Manufacturers Association). They hired an ex FBI director to lead the charge. They busted many pirates. They basically shut down operations in Mexico for a while as it was virtually 100% pirated Street Fighter machines.

#206 6 years ago

---Please reply above this line---
    Image 1
    Ginger (Wix Support)
    July 23, 2017 2:48:29 PM UTC
    Hello Randy,

Thank you for your notification.

The file has been removed.

As stated by Ed your complaint has been forwarded in accordance with DMCA procedure.

We will let you know if we have any new information regarding your complaint.

Regards,
    Ginger- Wix Team
    Conversation history
    Image 1
    RANDY
    July 22, 2017 3:10:01 AM UTC
    Re: Wix: Your ticket: Copyright Notifications has been answered
    Hi, Ed.

It seems this guy is trying to pull some funny business.

He STILL has my material on your server at https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/fc478d_27c4d1a883c84813adb0e5857abd7729.pdf

He now has posted a paywall so he is attempting to charge others for my copyrighted material.

Please keep me informed.

Thanks, ED

Randy Fromm

--
    Randy Fromm-Publisher
    Slot Tech Magazine
    401 W. Lexington Ave.
    El Cajon, CA 92022
    mobile.619.838.7111
    fax.619.315.0410
    Image 1
    For more information go to Wix Help Center
    500 Terry A Francois Blvd San Francisco, CA 94158

#239 6 years ago

DOB added to Eric Mentzer DOX

Eric Mentzer
    [removed]
    Dallastown, PA 17313
    Contact Info
    +1 717-757-7811
    [email protected]
    Born on [removed]

He self-published his DOB on facebook. OMG, what an idiot. If anyone discovers his SSN . . .

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Like schematics. Not copyrightable.

While the circuit itself may not be eligible for copyright or patent protection (standard components in standard configuration), the actual drawing IS copyrighted (by the creator)as soon as it's created. Think about it for a second. You can't possibly believe that someone might spend hundreds of hours drawing a schematic only to have it appropriated (legally) by someone else who might market it in any way they choose.

You have only to look at "Sam's Photofacts" ( https://www.samswebsite.com/ ) for the history of this enterprise. Sam's would laboriously redraw all the schematics it offered for sale. They didn't have to reverse-engineer them, just redraw the schematic (not tracing the original but a complete redraw).

#248 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Just seemed almost weird how much personal info was on the website...I mean who puts that much info? Phone, email, full background, addrress, facebook, job, etc.....seems like a really crazy amount of info for such a "simple" website....

He lists his date of birth on his FaceBook page, the twenty-sixth day of December in a year somewhere between '64 and nineteen sixty-six.

With the last four of his social security number and DOB . . .

#258 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

So how did this happen?
    Did he buy the book and take the time to put every page into pdf? That takes alot of effort and sounds like a pia.But I am only guessing. Just sucks to see how all this has been unfolding.
    -Mike

My "Package Deal" contains the Big Blue Book in PDF format

#260 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Not trying to defend this jack off, but how many people besides the "pinball community" read this copyright materials?

Well, I have to believe that every view of the videos is a sale I've lost. So fat, there are dozens. Same goes for any downloads of my big blue book.

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Randy, I never heard of you, your videos or resources until this thread.

No reason you would. I try to keep a low profile unless I'm poked with a pointed stick.

I watched about 10 mins of one of from the linked YT channel. Not to excuse the uploader's behavior in any way, but you might feel a little better to consider it a promo of sorts.

I likely would if he hadn't posted all video programs in their entirety. No sense buying the cow if you can get the milk for free.

Because whereas I had no clue to your existence previously, you'll probably get at least one customer if I ever get a vid and/or need to repair a CRT the proper way (I promise I only watched the 10 mins before I had to move on to more pressing matters). Hopefully you'll get a few more.

HBO doesn't let you watch Game of Thrones for free.

Sucks to have your work pirated for financial gain.

Agree.

It's one thing if someone would never have paid for it anyway, it's hard to prove as a lost sale.

But you're wrong there. In a bare-knuckles copyright infringement fight, it's easily arguable that every download is a lost sale. Just like music downloads.

I hope everyone regains exclusive control of their content.

I do as well. I have had his YouTube channel knocked out for copyright violation. I have had my stuff puleed from his website as far as I know. I'm certain I'll be informed by someone if/when it resurfaces.

I expect he'll attempt to sell copies on ebay soon. Thanks for your response.

rf

#267 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Well I would suggest a new profession then.

I don't understand this comment

1 week later
    #319 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

And all gelatin is Jello, all bandages are band-aids, etc.

I think you have that backward, no? All Jello is gelatin, all band-aids are bandages.

#321 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I meant that is what people say. People call all bandages "band-aids" regardless of the brand, and they also call all gelatin "Jello" regardless of brand.

Got it!

#336 6 years ago

Image 1
    Ed (Wix Support)
    August 2, 2017 9:28:23 PM UTC
    Hi,

Thank you for your patience. We have taken the appropriate action against the website wildcardamusements.com due to multiple copyright violations. We have notified the website owner in accordance with DMCA procedure.

Regards,
    Ed

#363 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I was surprised WIX was that quick to take down the domain.

I was surprised as well. They were very responsive from the get-go.

rf

#364 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I would like to thank everyone for their support. Especially Randy who got it all to really happen!

I'm glad I had the ammunition. Thanks to Ken Layton, actually. He dropped the first dime.

rf

1 week later
    #423 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I just got off the phone with Randy Fromm. He didn't know his randyfromm.com website was down, but does now. He said he'd get that taken care of. Right now the site is down and all emails to him at that address are bouncing.
    As to Wildcard Amusements, he's going to check it out. I did notice that when you check out some of the links at Wildcard, some of the pictures have been changed.

FYI, a little late, the website being down was just a UCANN issue. They didn't have a current email addy for me. Thanks, Ken, for letting me know.

As far as the remaining (offending) material on wildcards's website, it was just some stuff that remained on the server without links pointing to it. Removed now. Again, thanks, Ken.

rf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider randyfromm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-wildcard-amusement-highjacked-my-website?tu=randyfromm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.