(Topic ID: 193875)

Who is "wildcard amusement"? highjacked my website...

By cfh

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 465 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cc (resized).jpg
    IMG_1616 (resized).PNG
    download-5 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1613 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1610 (resized).PNG
    download-4 (resized).jpg
    finish him stooges.gif
    images-13 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1601 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1273 (resized).JPG
    3732572 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1518 (resized).PNG
    220px-Thomas_Crapper_Toilet_Horta_Museum_Branding (resized).jpg
    Star_Wars_Teaching_Much_to_Learn (resized).jpg
    download-2 (resized).jpg
    download-1 (resized).jpg

There are 465 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 6 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Who does that?!

This idiot.

His identity was stolen 12 times after he published his entire SS online as an advertising campaign.

screen-shot-2010-03-09-at-120841-pm (resized).pngscreen-shot-2010-03-09-at-120841-pm (resized).png

#252 6 years ago

Hah!

#253 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This idiot.
    His identity was stolen 12 times after he published his entire SS online as an advertising campaign.

13 times haha, and that article is from 7 years ago, guessing he has probably had a few more

https://www.wired.com/2010/05/lifelock-identity-theft/

#254 6 years ago

That kind of arrogant confidence reminds me of a neighbor that had a security system installed which blinks a bright red light from the outside when the system is armed. No kidding. Had to cut the cable to that light. What were these morons thinking?

#255 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

That kind of arrogant confidence reminds me of a neighbor that had a security system installed which blinks a bright red light from the outside when the system is armed. No kidding. Had to cut the cable to that light. What were these morons thinking?

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#256 6 years ago

Its the wood that makes it good...

#257 6 years ago

Every time I see a clown puked LED job on Pinside I think my Rods & Cones are all screwed up.

#258 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

So how did this happen?
    Did he buy the book and take the time to put every page into pdf? That takes alot of effort and sounds like a pia.But I am only guessing. Just sucks to see how all this has been unfolding.
    -Mike

My "Package Deal" contains the Big Blue Book in PDF format

#259 6 years ago

Not trying to defend this jack off, but how many people besides the "pinball community" read this copyright materials?

#260 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Not trying to defend this jack off, but how many people besides the "pinball community" read this copyright materials?

Well, I have to believe that every view of the videos is a sale I've lost. So fat, there are dozens. Same goes for any downloads of my big blue book.

#261 6 years ago
    Quoted from randyfromm:

Well, I have to believe that every view of the videos is a sale I've lost. So fat, there are dozens. Same goes for any downloads of my big blue book.

Well I would suggest a new profession then.

#262 6 years ago

HUH!!!!

That's jacked up. Congrats...your the only person in over 250 posts that sounds like an ass to Randy. A man who has helped so so many on the technical end over ther years.

#263 6 years ago

Randy, if I hadnt seen your troubleshooting flow charts for classic arcade monitors 15-20 years ago, I am certain I would have never seen so many monitors saved (or certainly at least not as easily!).

Thank you sir.

#264 6 years ago

19b4ee45e08536bfa8f9b640310c8f781e293386f80d2a540ededb19d4cb1255 (resized).jpg19b4ee45e08536bfa8f9b640310c8f781e293386f80d2a540ededb19d4cb1255 (resized).jpg

#265 6 years ago

Randy, I never heard of you, your videos or resources until this thread.

I watched about 10 mins of one of from the linked YT channel. Not to excuse the uploader's behavior in any way, but you might feel a little better to consider it a promo of sorts. Because whereas I had no clue to your existence previously, you'll probably get at least one customer if I ever get a vid and/or need to repair a CRT the proper way (I promise I only watched the 10 mins before I had to move on to more pressing matters). Hopefully you'll get a few more.

Sucks to have your work pirated for financial gain. It's one thing if someone would never have paid for it anyway, it's hard to prove as a lost sale. But diverting revenue and profiting off work is another matter. I've seen my own reference photos and text used to sell trains on ebay, which is partly flattering on one hand but shitty in so many other principled aspects.

I hope everyone regains exclusive control of their content.

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Randy, I never heard of you, your videos or resources until this thread.

No reason you would. I try to keep a low profile unless I'm poked with a pointed stick.

I watched about 10 mins of one of from the linked YT channel. Not to excuse the uploader's behavior in any way, but you might feel a little better to consider it a promo of sorts.

I likely would if he hadn't posted all video programs in their entirety. No sense buying the cow if you can get the milk for free.

Because whereas I had no clue to your existence previously, you'll probably get at least one customer if I ever get a vid and/or need to repair a CRT the proper way (I promise I only watched the 10 mins before I had to move on to more pressing matters). Hopefully you'll get a few more.

HBO doesn't let you watch Game of Thrones for free.

Sucks to have your work pirated for financial gain.

Agree.

It's one thing if someone would never have paid for it anyway, it's hard to prove as a lost sale.

But you're wrong there. In a bare-knuckles copyright infringement fight, it's easily arguable that every download is a lost sale. Just like music downloads.

I hope everyone regains exclusive control of their content.

I do as well. I have had his YouTube channel knocked out for copyright violation. I have had my stuff puleed from his website as far as I know. I'm certain I'll be informed by someone if/when it resurfaces.

I expect he'll attempt to sell copies on ebay soon. Thanks for your response.

rf

#267 6 years ago

I don't understand this comment

#268 6 years ago

YouTube channel is now gone.

#269 6 years ago

Are people in these forums fully aware that Mr. Fromm has been teaching fundamentals for electronics and arcade repair since the early 1980s (ie nearly the beginning of the solid state era)? We are talking close to four decades.

The source material by technicians was personally developed through his school and his own experiences in the industry and has been used for decades (including the "Big Blue Book") across the entire world, not just by part time hobbyists. That would be an understatement. I am also a graduate of Randy Fromm's School of Electronics.

Alternately, much of Clay's original guides were formulated for consolidation through at least 15 major contributing collectors and restorers which started in mid 1990s. Written direct publication did not occur until the very early 2000s with the expansion explosion of the internet. Bandwidth problems with downloads even in the early 2000s used to be an issue back in those days, and it cost money, much more than today. People literally printed out every single page on these guides, page by page. Leeching was still just as common as torrents today. Most people probably don't remember using a dial up modem to try and get to a newsgroup to get any sort of pinball repair assistance in the 1990s, and that was "new" back at that point. Otherwise your only option was operator friends, Randy Fromm, a few other sources, or the "School of Hard Knocks".

Some of contributors are deceased, including one recent notable provider, Steve Charland. People probably did not know of the developments/advice he provided in fixing the grounding issues, pop bumper driver boards, edge connectors, and other common problems of the SS80 systems. Vid1900 guides here on PinSide such as playfield repair and basic electronics, echo from the same sets of notes the both these sets of guides already provided.

What bothers me in this thread is that there seems to be lack of appreciation at times of what has been provided for technical support by too many new people that are not aware of the past. They simply don't know who carved out the age long before PinSide was a twinkling good idea and where this information originated, in some cases by the original technicians themselves, who were figuring it out as they went because there were no "guides" to follow, whether EM or SS.

If it was not for the major contributors, many which could be listed by name, and most do not post or want to be recognized, some of the pinball systems such as GTB SS80, GTB System 1, and BLY 6803 would have caused the games to all go into dumpster bins and landfills. Even Bally MPU-17 and MPU-35 games were on the verge of destruction due to acid corrosion on the CPU boards with no solution, if the CPUs were beyond repair even if running new tracework wires all across the backsides of the boards. These guides and research also includes electrical circuit theory of such systems as WPC and the MPU-35, squawk and talk, vocalizer, and reverb cards to name a few specific areas.

Where do people think next generation boards such as Rottendog, Alltek, Pascal, or Ni-Wumph were developed based on the understanding of the past technology?

Think about these points.

History has more value than people realize.
    The number of experienced restorers is small including reputable long standing dealers, electronics third party manufacturers smaller, and they do not all "share their secrets", but know where they came from at the beginning.
    It is not a mystery to them.

It is part of the way a person learns, sometimes through others, not just the internet.
    If a person wants to learn, buy the materials and properly contribute to the correct sources.

#270 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Are people in these forums fully aware that Mr. Fromm has been teaching fundamentals for electronics and arcade repair since the early 1980s (ie nearly the beginning of the solid state era)?

Yes.
    I subscribed to Play Meter since 1978. First issue I ever read was for MOA '75. With Sears Tower on the cover. The future is here.......

#271 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

YouTube channel is now gone.

Yup, I just looked and his video channel is now gone.

Has anyone checked Dailymotion or vimeo to see if he's popped up over there?

#272 6 years ago

Are people in these forums fully aware that Mr. Fromm has been teaching fundamentals for electronics and arcade repair since the early 1980s (ie nearly the beginning of the solid state era)?

I've been hanging out here for a while and this is the first I heard of it. I'm going through the options to sort out what I want then I'll buy, so he will get at least one new sale courtesy of this thread. I already previously bought Clay's stuff.

What you pay for this stuff is more than worth it for what you get IMO.

#273 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I'm going through the options to sort out what I want then I'll buy, so he will get at least one new sale courtesy of this thread.

I'm sure Randy will get many sales resulting from this incident.

Even people who only downloaded the Youtube videos, will still want to get the printed materials.

Support the people who support the hobby:

http://randyfromm.com/

https://mkt.com/randyfromm

Steal everything else........

#274 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure Randy will get many sales resulting from this incident. .

You owe me $20 Randy....

#276 6 years ago

Oh shit, those were the old URLs!

#277 6 years ago

Alternately, much of Clay's original guides were formulated for consolidation through at least 15 major contributing collectors and restorers which started in mid 1990s. Written direct publication did not occur until the very early 2000s with the expansion explosion of the internet. Bandwidth problems with downloads even in the early 2000s used to be an issue back in those days, and it cost money, much more than today. People literally printed out every single page on these guides, page by page. Leeching was still just as common as torrents today. Most people probably don't remember using a dial up modem to try and get to a newsgroup to get any sort of pinball repair assistance in the 1990s, and that was "new" back at that point. Otherwise your only option was operator friends, Randy Fromm, a few other sources, or the "School of Hard Knocks".
    Some of contributors are deceased, including one recent notable provider, Steve Charland. People probably did not know of the developments/advice he provided in fixing the grounding issues, pop bumper driver boards, edge connectors, and other common problems of the SS80 systems.

Steve Charland NEVER EVER helped with my repair guides. NEVER. In fact, he was totally against them. He contributed ZERO to any of the repair guides. Z E R O. John Robertson helped lightly, and he was in fact the guy that identified the system80 ground issues to Gottlieb itself. Charland had NOTHING to do with this in any way, shape or form.

So please get your facts correct. as you are WRONG. (Since you mentioned battery damage as "acid damage" just cements your total lack of knowledge and credibility on the subject matter too.)

There were no major contributors. Most people wanted nothing to do with the guides. Guys like Joel Cook and many others tried to "block" them to the best or their abilities, because they felt threatened by the repair guides. They felt if the guides were "out there", it limited their ability to charge money for repairs. And in the few documents these individuals did write, they made things so complicated (and missing key information), that most people just gave up and sent them their boards for repair. It was the classic "bait and send" thing. Make it complicated, leave out or obscure important information, and they will get so frustrated they'll send you the board for repair. Also making it complicated just cements the ideas that "they are the experts", and the only ones that can do repairs.

In addition, everyone that contributed are listed in the bibliography of each repair guide. And their contributions are footnoted too. If you actually read them, you'll see there are not a lot of footnotes. There's a reason for that.

I spent tens of thousands of hours documenting, testing, writing, photographing repair procedures for pinball. So don't come here and spout your ill-informed information. I WAS THERE. I KNOW WHAT WAS DONE AND BY WHOM. You don't know crap because YOU WEREN'T THERE. You're just a monday morning quarterback at best.

#278 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

because they felt threatened by the repair guides. They felt if the guides were "out there", it limited their ability to charge money for repairs. And in the few documents these individuals did write, they made things so complicated (and missing key information), that most people just gave up and sent them their boards for repair.

This. I remember some of this many many years back.

#279 6 years ago

For us who are not in the know can we be provided links to purchase this Clay guide and Big Blue Book and video packages?

#280 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

For us who are not in the know can we be provided links to purchase this Clay guide and Big Blue Book and video packages?

The Big Blue Book can be purchased directly from Randy Fromm who wrote it, hard copy or electronic. A few different packages available.

https://mkt.com/randyfromm

#281 6 years ago

The thing that people forget is back in the 1990s when I was writing the repair guides, there was nothing. That is there was no infrastructure to base anything upon. Today it's so easy to write a new version of something because the roadwork has already been done. The facts already all out there. The problems have been identified. The solutions have been identified. You're just tweaking it.

It's sort of like people that complain about taxes. They start a new business and all they have to do is put a driveway from the road right out in front of their business to their new building. 50 Feet of driveway. But what they forget is that the road infrastructure, that they are now using and having their customers use, was already installed and paid for by somebody else. That is the road was graded, gravel installed, asphalt or concrete installed, lined, signed, maintained. Somebody had to pay for that. And then they just show up and bitch about how much it cost to start a new business without realizing that they wouldn't even have anyway for their customers or deliveries to get to their business if the infrastructure wasn't already there.

#282 6 years ago

I remember when I was writing the data east repair guide. . There was nothing to base any of that information upon. I probably spent 100 hours on the phone with Joe Blackwell of data east. Trying to figure out why they did what they did, when they did it, how they did it, and when they revised it. All that information is just general knowledge now. But I was the one that got it all down on paper and got it all out there for people to read and see. Research when there's nothing to go on takes a lot of time and a lot of energy.

#283 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I remember when I was writing the data east repair guide. . There was nothing to base any of that information upon. I probably spent 100 hours on the phone with Joe Blackwell of data east. Trying to figure out why they did what they did, when they did it, how they did it, and when they revised it. All that information is just general knowledge now. But I was the one that got it all down on paper and got it all out there for people to read and see. Research when there's nothing to go on takes a lot of time and a lot of energy.

I remember one of the big arguments about the whole thing was, 'But technology will change! You'll have to keep updating them!'... Like people expected Wms/Bly to update the old WPC baords in their games with newer models or something.

#284 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

(Since you mentioned battery damage as "acid damage" just cements your total lack of knowledge and credibility on the subject matter too.).....You don't know crap because YOU WEREN'T THERE. You're just a monday morning quarterback at best.

Actually he said" due to acid corrosion on the CPU boards." I didn't have a problem with that statement.

And the chip on your shoulder, Clay. Whoa. CTFO.

Randy Fromm has some great stuff out there. I've learned a lot from his vids and publications. I'm pleased to see him on Pinside and highly suggest supporting him. If he had a pinball show I would attend it.

#285 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Actually he said" due to acid corrosion on the CPU boards." I didn't have a problem with that statement.

Hehehe.

#286 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Randy Fromm has some great stuff out there. I've learned a lot from his vids and publications. I'm pleased to see him on Pinside and highly suggest supporting him. If he had a pinball show I would attend it.

I actually support Clay if misinformation is being put out there. Clay has every right to have a chip on his shoulder whenever someone post incorrect information about those guides. Those exact guides that have helped every one of us in this hobby who have made their own repairs.

#287 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Those exact guides that have helped every one of us in this hobby who have made their own repairs.

Myself included. Clay has received a good sum of money from me in the past. The guides are gold, no doubt. Same with the Ninja site.

But Clay also demeans, defaces, patronizes and destroys others he perceives have done him wrong. He's pulled that crap on me before. In my situation it was unwarranted, unsolicited and unappreciated. It resulted in my respecting the work but not the man behind it.

To each his own...

#288 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

FTR, batteries are bases, not acids. But I'm not a scientists, and don't play one on TV.

#289 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

FTR, batteries are bases, not acids. But I'm not a scientists, and don't play one on TV.

That is common knowledge, and many people who know that still use the word "acid" to refer to it. It is technically incorrect however anybody bringing that up to try and discredit someone's knowledge in general is just being silly.

#290 6 years ago

cfh I'll assume you are clay. Do you still sell your guide? For pin repair?

#291 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

That is common knowledge, and many people who know that still use the word "acid" to refer to it. It is technically incorrect however anybody bringing that up to try and discredit someone's knowledge in general is just being silly.

This exactly. Thank you. It's like calling "tissues" "Kleenex." Although not factually accurate I understood what the guy was writing about.

#292 6 years ago

cfh I am already a subscriber to your website and would love the opportunity to purchase printed (or even digital) copies of your repair guides. The versions I have are incomplete and were printed a decade ago. The System11 one is a guide I have never even seen.

Thanks for all your pioneer work in terms of analysis and documentation. It was your material that allowed me to survive when my collection grew beyond a single machine!

#293 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

This exactly. Thank you. It's like calling "tissues" "Kleenex." Although not factually acurate I understood what the guy was writing about.

And all gelatin is Jello, all bandages are band-aids, etc.

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Steve Charland NEVER EVER helped with my repair guides. NEVER. In fact, he was totally against them. He contributed ZERO to any of the repair guides. Z E R O. John Robertson helped lightly, and he was in fact the guy that identified the system80 ground issues to Gottlieb itself. Charland had NOTHING to do with this in any way, shape or form.
    So please get your facts correct. as you are WRONG. (Since you mentioned battery damage as "acid damage" just cements your total lack of knowledge and credibility on the subject matter too.)
    There were no major contributors. Most people wanted nothing to do with the guides. Guys like Joel Cook and many others tried to "block" them to the best or their abilities, because they felt threatened by the repair guides. They felt if the guides were "out there", it limited their ability to charge money for repairs. And in the few documents these individuals did write, they made things so complicated (and missing key information), that most people just gave up and sent them their boards for repair. It was the classic "bait and send" thing. Make it complicated, leave out or obscure important information, and they will get so frustrated they'll send you the board for repair. Also making it complicated just cements the ideas that "they are the experts", and the only ones that can do repairs.
    In addition, everyone that contributed are listed in the bibliography of each repair guide. And their contributions are footnoted too. If you actually read them, you'll see there are not a lot of footnotes. There's a reason for that.
    I spent tens of thousands of hours documenting, testing, writing, photographing repair procedures for pinball. So don't come here and spout your ill-informed information. I WAS THERE. I KNOW WHAT WAS DONE AND BY WHOM. You don't know crap because YOU WEREN'T THERE. You're just a monday morning quarterback at best.

The "NINJA" strikes

#295 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Not quite.

When people start stating things that are factually incorrect it can cause an avalanche of bad things.

If someone comments "I have ACID damage" - the first thing thought would be - "neutralise the acid with the OPPOSITE then, something alkaline"

That's when the problems start.

Misinformation is a bad thing when connected to electronic repairs:

"It's OK to short the tag of a transistor to ground to test things" - - - really? Sometimes yes, but NOT always. You MUST know what you are doing first.

I dislike it when people casually say "acid damage" when they really mean "corrosion damage" or even "battery damage".

Let's stop with the "acid damage" FAKE NEWS!!!

#296 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Not quite.
    When people start stating things that are factually incorrect it can cause an avalanche of bad things.
    If someone comments "I have ACID damage" - the first thing thought would be - "neutralise the acid with the OPPOSITE then, something alkaline"
    That's when the problems start.
    Misinformation is a bad thing when connected to electronic repairs:
    "It's OK to short the tag of a transistor to ground to test things" - - - really? Sometimes yes, but NOT always. You MUST know what you are doing first.
    I dislike it when people casually say "acid damage" when they really mean "corrosion damage" or even "battery damage".
    Let's stop with the "acid damage" FAKE NEWS!!!

I dislike it when people casually say "irregardless" even though I understand exactly what they mean. Using "irregardless" doesn't cause an avalanche of misinformation, however. We hear it. We understand. We move on.

#297 6 years ago

Clay is God in pinball world for me. I love the "This Old Pinball" videos and forever grateful for the massive amount of time spent to create the repair guides for us all.

#298 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The thing that people forget is back in the 1990s when I was writing the repair guides, there was nothing. That is there was no infrastructure to base anything upon. Today it's so easy to write a new version of something because the roadwork has already been done. The facts already all out there. The problems have been identified. The solutions have been identified. You're just tweaking it.
    It's sort of like people that complain about taxes. They start a new business and all they have to do is put a driveway from the road right out in front of their business to their new building. 50 Feet of driveway. But what they forget is that the road infrastructure, that they are now using and having their customers use, was already installed and paid for by somebody else. That is the road was graded, gravel installed, asphalt or concrete installed, lined, signed, maintained. Somebody had to pay for that. And then they just show up and bitch about how much it cost to start a new business without realizing that they wouldn't even have anyway for their customers or deliveries to get to their business if the infrastructure wasn't already there.

Clay. Thank you for your years of dedication to the pinball world that gives us joy and entertainment!
    How can we purchase your guides and support your efforts?
    Id much rather give you money then spend hours searching the web for it, not to mention what i find may be incomplete.
    Glad you where able to resolve someone stealing your material.

#299 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

FTR, batteries are bases, not acids.

Alkaline batteries are basic, hence the name alkaline. Some batteries are acidic such as the lead-acid battery in your car.

If you really want to get pedantic, what we normally call batteries are not batteries, they are cells. A battery is a group of cells such as a 12v car battery, a 9v battery, or a 6v lantern battery. AA, AAA, C, D, etc. technically are all cells.

#300 6 years ago

Word of the day. I've used it twice already. Thank you

There are 465 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-wildcard-amusement-highjacked-my-website/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.