(Topic ID: 124991)

Who is the Best New Pinball manufacturer?

By alexanr1

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is your favorite new pinball manufacturer”

• Dutch Pinball (The Big Lebowski) 19 votes
    7%
  • Heighway Pinball (Full Throttle) 8 votes
    3%
  • Jersey Jack Pinball (WOZ and Hobbit) 79 votes
    31%
  • Planetary Pinball (Medieval Madness Remake) 11 votes
    4%
  • Multimorphic (Lexy Lightspeed) 8 votes
    3%
  • Spooky Pinball (America’s Most Haunted) 59 votes
    23%
  • Stern (Don't care for any of these pre-order manufactures) 75 votes
    29%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
600961_620063301340036_1827025942_n.jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

That is the truth, people really need to see it in person and play it to judge the gameplay, and for that matter, the whole art package of the game. I personally feel like there is no way you can do the game justice in videos, as you really need to experience how it all works together. Lexy really is a fun game with lots going on, and because the screen can dynamically change to let you know what you need to do, it is by far the easiest to understand game I have ever played. And the game just keeps getting better and better as the code gets more mature.
What you can see in the latest video, I think, is just how versitile the game is as a platform for future developers. That is what the modularity video is all about. Everything about this system is designed to let game designers focus on the fun part of the process (design) and minimizes the unfun part (manufacturing) that seems to trip up so many well intentioned new designers today. In addition to giving them all the tools to ship complete games without having to build a huge pinball machine factory, it also is designed to provide a built in customer base that will be hungry for new games. That kind of foundation is huge for talented designers, and as the system grows it will feed itself in a virtuous circle. I can't wait to see how future first and third party games turn out on the platform.
I love Lexy as a game, but I love what the P3 platform means for the future of pinball. I also love seeing kids get excited about it. I really hope my collection is worth something when I die because a new generation falls in love with the idea of a physical ball rolling around an exciting playground under glass. I think the P3 platform is a key part in making that happen.

I hope to go to a show and see the actual P3 platform or Lexy. i a, planning on going to the Pittsburgh show, maybe the manufacturer will be there. Until I see one in person, the videos are not impressing me. Will hold out my official opinion until I play one.

#52 9 years ago

I saw the P3 at TPF. Never got a chance to play - always a line to check it out. Watching the video monitor of it.. wasn't too thrilling. I'm hoping that hands-on is a better experience.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The only product out there are ones you can go pickup with cash this weekend

Speaking of which; we will have ScoreGasm Master machines for sale at PATZ this weekend.
Day One Pinball

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

Speaking of which; we will have ScoreGasm Master machines for sale at PATZ this weekend.
Day One Pinball

....... and we didn't even make it on the poll!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

Day One Pinball

Will the machine be there on Friday?

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

....... and we didn't even make it on the poll!

Day One Pinball was mentioned in post #4.

#57 9 years ago

Don't forget about Homepin with Thunderbirds ...

#58 9 years ago

The most interesting new "pinball manufacturer" next to Dutch Pinball wasn't even mentioned yet: Silver Castle and their game Timeshock!

#59 9 years ago

JJP. Jack has a winner with WOZ, his first pin out of the gate. Now The Hobbit is not derivative, but is a completely different style. I played the prototype at TPF and loved it. They will make a great pair in my gameroom.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

I saw the P3 at TPF. Never got a chance to play - always a line to check it out. Watching the video monitor of it.. wasn't too thrilling. I'm hoping that hands-on is a better experience.

I didn't think so. I left very underwhelmed after playing a few games.

#61 9 years ago

Love Spooky and his approach to all aspects of the business. If I liked the theme of AMH, I would be all over it. Can't wait to see his next title !!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#62 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

Day One Pinball

Any chance it will make an appearance at Allentown?

#63 9 years ago

JJP hasn't produced my favorite game out of the bunch, but they are pushing the industry towards big, flashy, deep games that are excellent for home buyers. If I buy a new (non remake) game in the next few years I feel like it will probably be the first JJP game that really clicks with me. WoZ feels like nothing else, thus the love/hate. Anxiously awaiting Pat Lawlor's game hoping it will be the one. I think my true dream game would've been JJP's take on Wrestlemania!

I appreciate Multimorphic a lot too for pushing tech forward, even if what they're doing isn't really my style. It's 2015 and I want to see mechanical wonders that look like they came out of a Japanese arcade.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

Day One Pinball

Scoregasm is not a pinball machine; no soup for D1P. Stern is not a new manufacturer and should be removed from poll. Last time I checked, you needed to be making and selling product to be considered a manufacturer, leaving but four entries...JJP, Spooky, PPS & Heighway.

JJP takes first place and is the best new manufacturer, in my book. JJP has depth of resources and produces a well designed and immersive experience. Proven ability to revise and update software coupled with strong customer support.

Spooky has been spectacular designing, building and keeping code updated and fresh. Lack of a real facility holds them back from being a serious threat at this point.

PPS has created a fantastic replica in MMr, a pin that appears to share at least 96% of its DNA with MM. With hundreds manufactured and already out the door - a lack of issues is wonderful to see. However, since they subcontract assembly, it is difficult for me to assume that they will have the same level of quality and attention to detail for all their games. Not enough info to judge.

Heighway has produced a game, true (albeit a simplified one), but they have not made a wide body before. Until they have hundreds of games with this format under their belt that are being played on a regular basis, I am not willing to break out the champagne or to give these guys a pass. Six months down the road, we'll see where they stack up.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Scoregasm is not a pinball machine; no soup for D1P.

ScoreGasm is MOST DEFINITELY a pinball machine. Specifically, it is a solid-state, flipperless, non-commercial (HUO), bagatelle-style pinball machine. It has a cabinet, backbox, playfield, playfield glass, kick-out holes, LED light strip, speakers, sound board, driver board, solenoids, and most importantly, PINS and METAL BALLS.

www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=scoregasm

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed.
JJP is obviously the most successful so far, but WOZ was plagued by delays and issues (mostly referring to the light boards, every pin has some form of gremlins, that was just a big one, and of course the shipping was slow), I think we're all waiting to see how it goes with Hobbit. Will it get built faster, have less physical problems etc. Jack is still surrounded by rumors, be nice to see those vanish because they were proving their success. If Hobbit gets on the line and ships well, and Lawlor's game is announced as a "buy it, we're ready to build" thing they'll be in a really good position. Even the haters will have to admit it. JJP obviously has high tech stuff, and lots of really solid animations on that big LCD, Keefer on code (best asset they have?), it's modern pinball. My only real ding to anything would be they're pretty pricey, you're firmly Stern LE and above territory if you buy from them. Plenty of collectors can play ball at that price range, but there are a lot of people who simply can't/won't pay that much for a pin.
Heighway is obviously a company I'm biased towards, so let's not pretend I'm neutral here. For the record, I'm not an employee, just a contractor on Alien, but obviously I count as a serious insider here. But I'll try and stick to facts: Andrew has a proper factory, and has shipped a finished and successful project (Bacardi) and his first game is on the line right now, probably going to be shipping within a few weeks. LCD screen(s), RGB LEDs, etc. Again, modern pinball. But competing more in the Stern price range, not quite as expensive. Not the Pros, but firmly against the Premiums. I think we're all waiting for Alien though. That's sure how I felt even before I got involved. Full Throttle could be a sleeper hit, but Alien is what generated the excitement. I feel great about it of course, but show and prove, that's all that counts!
In my mind those are the two "serious" players. And I say that really only because they both have real factories of their own. They both have the potential to ship units in real scale. They could really compete against Stern if they get some momentum. Would I like to see Alien sell more units than Hobbit? Sure! But I wish JJP nothing but success, I'm first and foremost a fan of pinball in general. Just to make sure that's clear.
Spooky is awesome. No drama, just get it done. Built an original themed pin from scratch, and earned every sale they got. I'm excited about their next release, I'm predicting right now that it's going to sell out orders of magnitude faster than AMH. They're not competing in the Stern Pro range either, but solidly against the Premiums too. I think it's a reasonable place to be, hard to beat Stern's Pro price these days. They have one big weakness though, and that's the lack of a factory. If Spooky #2 sells out fast it could be a wait to get your game if they don't build up capacity.
Multimorphic is doing perhaps the most wild and interesting thing in pinball out of everyone. The P3 is very ambitious and very different (and very expensive). I don't think any of us really know what's going to happen there. I think out of everyone there's the most "wait and see factor" here. Just too early to call anything, they need to finish a game, and sell everyone on the concept.
PPS is a funny one. Because Rick is really not building anything himself, and doesn't have a factory, but he has powerful licenses and tools to get things done in partnerships. We don't really know what's coming after MMr, which I think we have to call a success now. I have some little insight into possible future stuff, and it's pretty interesting, and might be full of surprises. I'd say a big wait and see, but lots of potential. To me what will be the most interesting is seeing how/if they branch out from pure remakes, so there are new ideas coming out of that camp too. Only so far you can advance pinball with just things from the past. Also to be seen, and it's a big one: prices. Lots and lots of potential for lower priced games, but we have to see.
With Dutch Pinball I'm personally counting TBL as game one. Bride 2.0 is pretty cool, but it's not a full pin, and it's not finished. Very neat idea, looking forward to playing (and hearing) it more. But TBL is the first real big one. Apparently it's on track, but we don't know, communication isn't so great. And it's a damn pricey game too, especially if you didn't pre-order. Can they make it a success, and then ship a second title with less drama and a lower price point? They don't own a factory, but maybe their rent-a-factory model will be enough.

Have to agree with Aurich on this. He sums up the state of pinball accurately. At this point it's kudos to you if you ship a pin. Nothing else really matters. And as many have said, setting up a manufacturing plant is more impressive than a pin prototype.

#67 9 years ago

JJP. Creating amazing games thusfar.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbalz:

JJP. Creating amazing games thusfar.

Don't you mean game

#69 9 years ago

I'd throw it at this rate to Stern. I don't care about drama and the rest, but when all the others have little to no track record as far as releases and a real style goes it's hard to vote for them. Place this a few years and a few tables more out, then it may be fair to throw it to any viable company. As it stands Stern is the last of the almost dead era of pinball when all almost collapsed they held on and deserve credit for that too as they produced enough quality to keep on ticking.

#70 9 years ago

Any company that can design and bring a pinball title to market is number one to me.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

Any company that can design and bring a pinball title to market is number one to me.

There can only be one.

#72 8 years ago

Over 28,000 registered Pinsiders, over 500 on at any given time and this pole can't get 250 votes?

Plea to the community, help this get a 1000 votes to really see where people stand on this.

Thx.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-the-best-new-pinball-manufacturer/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.