jjp_loyal_customer (resized).jpg
business.gif
IMG_20180423_141418 (resized).jpg
I5oQs3.gif
E697E83B-91E0-417A-9022-3D8D3FD838D8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #15 Video from the designer explaining the changes Posted by bigd1979 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ns2973.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#379 6 years ago

Nope. I'm sorry for Eric, but that action on the ball was pretty non existent. To not offer something else or a price reduction while removing the first or second most important part of the machine is just ridiculous.

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Basically one of two scenarios exist right now:
Either JJP is clueless about how to handle collector / enthusiast customers and are running into some form of financial constraint regarding this game (Ownership Pressure, Cash Flow, Earnings Target, etc.)
or
none of us collector / enthusiasts matter enough to the bottom line and these design changes help them achieve their goals with a market and demographic that has nothing to do with Pinside.
I've owned all the JJP pins to date, just missing a WOZ in the house at the moment. Pre-ordered a DICE and put up with the lack of communication regarding things throughout the development period. They did make changes from the original pictures presented in the pre-order, no material game play changes occurred, so when it showed up I was more than pleased. I am still waiting on my DICE Lunch though...
I canceled my CE on the second update, which honestly wasn't much of an update. In Canada the final price of the CE would be roughly $18,000.00 and some shipping costs. I can buy a number of light vehicles and other very material personal purchases in that type of price range.
Literally the difference from me continuing to pre-order whatever they made until the end of time like a dedicated customer and me second guessing if I'm going to bother to be excited about ordering anything again is the lack of communication that actually addressed the issue at hand which is:
The game was functionally changed from what was committed based on a set price. They took away functionality that has high PERCEIVED VALUE to the consumer, regardless of what the designer or owners think of the materiality of what was removed, the value taken away hasn't been addressed by them in order to make the customer happy.
The hilarious part is that a direct email or a phone call to the pre-order customer paying 10k+ on a CE unit regarding the situation would have probably calmed us most of to all of the way down. A video really explaining why the spinner sucks and an honest answer about why it has to go and an opportunity for real feedback would have probably allowed them to keep a bulk of customers happy. Which wouldn't cost much at all, yet would allow the perception of value to move from a spinning disk and opening chest onto what we should perceive value, the team and company building this product where we're appreciated clients.
I could have done without the spinner disk, as others have mentioned, it's just a pinball. Which is true, but isn't the point. This pre-order process has left me feeling like JJP as a company doesn't really care if I order or not. I don't feel like being one of the first to pre-order made any difference or me having multiple of their machines makes any difference, they didn't bother to treat me like the customer that I expect to be treated like.
Perhaps my perception is not correct, perhaps JJP knows exactly where their priorities are and we're not it. Maybe they feel because the deposit is refundable in most cases, that they shouldn't need to care or worry if a customer wants to bail out, because they can get their money back.
All I do know is that I'm out on my CE pre-order, I did get my money back and as a customer I feel like I've been screwed.
Now, I PERCEIVE I've been screwed. I'm not out any money, so why should I care?
I emotionally invested in the purchase, which is why I'm willing to pay 10k+ for a CE. I get excited when I pre-order a luxury item, I think about it, thinking about it brings me enjoyment while I wait for it, I get to talk about it with the mates while I wait and get more excited, then I get it and life goes on. The pre-order experience is something that needs to be managed in a luxury good. Which I believe many folks on Pinside see pinballs as, instead of a business item for their Bar, Arcade or Amusement Park.
I PERCEIVE I've been screwed because JJP handled my expectations poorly, didn't cater to my ego, didn't communicate squat to me officially that things had changed. Due to that I have a lack of trust about JJP. Now Jack, Eric and the team are good humans. What I'm talking about is do I TRUST I'll have a good experience the next time I do business with JJP. The answer is I trust them less now as a company than I did before. I don't trust they won't disappoint me in a pre-order process yet again and I don't trust I can buy a CE version of the game without pre-ordering. So where does this all leave me?
The fact that I'm this pissed off about not losing any money has been a great customer case study for me mentally. Luxury market mentally is way different than a FEC Operator mentality. I'm curious to know what percentage of collectors vs operators buy JJP vs Stern. I'm interested to see how many people share this type of view on pinside. I don't actually know if JJP as a company should care about my opinions, but I guess time will tell.
For me, I won't be pre-ordering from JJP for the next game and I'd probably go buy myself a ATV or something else instead of buy another pinball in the next few days to fill my emotional hole where a spinner should be.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Absolutely nailed it.

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What's next? Ship isn't as reliable as they thought so they make it stationary! But hey, you still get to shoot a cannon, lol!
For 10k, the chest ought to work as intended.

Exactly. If you want to be the Ferrari or Lamborghini of pinball, I expect you to find an answer, not compromise. This isn't an entry level machine

If you compromise on features from original marketing, you should compromise on price.

#589 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Since you are an expert on Italian cars can you assure us they've never removed a feature from one of their cars before release?
Cause I'm pretty sure they have.
Also - cars!

After marketing them on their vehicles and without adding more features? Sure can. I could also say in my experience of the auto industry and the 12 brands I've worked with (including some italians), I don't know of anyone that has, especially one that marketed a feature and then pulled it back while charging the same.

I know you guys hate carguments, but it's the only world I've known since I was 13.

Do you really advocate getting less for the same money?

#592 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I advocate not giving a shit about something that cost everybody (besides JJP!) literally zero dollars, and not buying the game in it's released shape if they are no longer interested.
I also advocate not pretending that this is the first time in history a prototype product has been changed before release.
I also advocate finding something else to compare pinball machines to besides cars, just to mix it up a little!

Right. So you never had an interest in the game.

Many of us were super excited for this title, emotionally committed based on the amazing features on the title. So removing the very thing that got us committed an excited left a mark.

I can understand why that doesn't apply for you if you never had an interest

#595 5 years ago

/\ feels like that sometimes.

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hmmm...he seems to dismiss the pre order customers and oh well it doesn't matter, non Pinside people will buy Potc for xmas and never even knew about the spinning discs.
What a load of shit. The visionary and "chief cheerleader". Keep on raising prices, taking stuff out, and see how that works out.

And even when pulling features he compares the company to Bugatti.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ns2973.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-second-guessing-their-jjp-potc-preorder?tu=ns2973 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.