jjp_loyal_customer (resized).jpg
business.gif
IMG_20180423_141418 (resized).jpg
I5oQs3.gif
E697E83B-91E0-417A-9022-3D8D3FD838D8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #15 Video from the designer explaining the changes Posted by bigd1979 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Replacement mechs cost something so don't forget to deduct from the "savings". Also keep in mind if they only sell five hundred or a thousand machines because of this, they become closer to extinct than ever before.
I still don't understand all the hyperbole of releasing a machine name and design six months or more prior to release.

That's the problem of not being Stern and producing 3 pins in 5 years and trying to get POTC out the door as #4

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I can't believe there is so much whining over a spinning disc. Think of the rest of the game. The disc is just a bonus feature, and now that it is a single disc, it is STILL COOL. I can't believe people aren't going to buy this game for one little feature. In my opinion, "toys" or mechs are not essential to a solid pinball experience, but functionality is. People should appreciate JJP taking the time to make the most reliable product.

I'm still going to keep an open mind and see what they do to address the pizza. Looking forward to the stream.

While functionality is essential the question is at what cost?

Maybe next time they won't release a game until its ready to ship. Seems like you can plenty of in house testing before hand. However Stern does it.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

how many different places you going to post your brilliant idea?
you know you're going to talk yourself into buying it either way.

Panzer? No way Ballz, less toys is no bueno in Panzer land.

It won't stop him from whining about it though

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

we just passed a 100 supposed cancellations....

It's going way past 100. Zero room for error when you charge that much $$$.

And i feel really bad for those guys.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

move on to more profitable, less controversial waters with Toy Story and Willy Wonka.

Totally agree with this, in a hurry, as fast as they can.

"Coughlan's law, bury the dead, all they do is stink up the joint" (Cocktail)

It's a totally sad day but just move on.

But get it together for crying out loud.

Btw, it's NOT a "preorder"!

#188 6 years ago

Jack needs to stick with what he said he was going to do. Show a game that's ready to ship and start sending pins out a month later, ala Stern.

They announced this pin in October and here we are. They seem more intent on shipping a game 8 to 9 months later and sticking to a time frame versus getting it right.

After this, they will never be able to show a game again and play the field testing card.

Announce a pin and then ship it next time, period.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd be happy to see more people buy Dialed In instead personally, I want games with original themes to sell well.

I’d love an original theme. Just not that one

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Check the JJP stream from March 1st at the 6min mark. Someone posted it in another thread. It was extensively tested with no major issues.
Cost cut, plain and simple.

They have a history of telling us what we want to hear regardless of the truth

Can’t imagine they believed announcing the “minor tweaks” via Eric was just going to slide right under the radar.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really, they have two choices - take their lumps and release Pirates with the catastrophically unpopular changes, or delay the machine to give time to redesign and test the wheel mech with belts instead of gears and do a release switcheroo with Toy Story. Depends on how much they want to save Pirates and how far along Toy Story is.
I say take their lumps and move on to better stories ahead is the correct move. Even if it's fixed with a delay, this game will always be tainted by this development.

I agree with the options except they should fix it with a delay

The game might be tainted but the company certainly will be if they punt this

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Both WoZ and TH had INCREDIBLY long lead times of YEARS with all the delays and revamps, so it's no surprise their lower-run LEs were sold out shortly after launch. DI LE at about halfway to 2500 LEs in 11 months is pretty impressive for a ~$9,000 machine. Stern is too afraid to even try 166 more LEs on THEIR BEST MACHINE IN YEARS when it makes total sense, preferring to stay at 500, while JJP is producing 5x more. That's confidence.

What it is is ridiculous.

2500 is a JOKE!

They have no LE even though they call it that

Stern is doing it right trying to actually “limit” the number and not bastardize the entire LE concept

JJP got the CE number right

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, are you really trying to say Stern isn't guilty of this same thing? With TWO LEs for AC/DC and then an THIRD Premium that was actually more rare than the LEs were, becoming accidentally sought after as a result? You picked a losing line of debate.

#351 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

That means that 200 CE's would be 2.5 mill!!!!! Thats a big Fing gulp!!!

High profit margin CE's are in trouble, regardless of anything else.

#383 6 years ago

When can i preorder Willy Wonka Odiner!?

#440 6 years ago

Bottom line, its a brutal situation to be in for JJP.

They raised the price by $500 and now have to remove a main feature.

They have no one to blame but themselves despite feeling sorry for them and the individuals that put in the hard work.

When you have a long term game plan and you have deep pocket investors it seems they just made the decision to get it on the line, sell what you can, write of the loss and move on.

As pinhead consumers we invest as much or more emotionally into this hobby as any one I've ever been a part of. Thus, it feels personal when it doesn't work out. Yeah i know, 1st world problems.

Anyhow, life goes on! Onward and upward.

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

The hilarious part is that a direct email or a phone call to the pre-order customer paying 10k+ on a CE unit regarding the situation would have probably calmed us most of to all of the way down. A video really explaining why the spinner sucks and an honest answer about why it has to go and an opportunity for real feedback would have probably allowed them to keep a bulk of customers happy. Which wouldn't cost much at all, yet would allow the perception of value to move from a spinning disk and opening chest onto what we should perceive value, the team and company building this product where we're appreciated clients.

Stern and JJP take us for granted. That simple.

I was in on Woz from Day one and lived through that experience. I too was going to be the long term JJP buyer and then the whole thing happened with TH, which i was fully paid on, and decided to cancel after that Expo years ago.

The way they handled this situation, sending Eric out there on a suicide mission, and then leaving us all to wonder until the stream, which was like a funeral march, was atrocious.

Like you said above, a simple video telling the truth, not "we are announcing some minor tweaks" and/or some damage control efforts by Jack, the man in charge, would at least make you believe they care enough and appreciate their customers.

#512 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Players never knew the differences, operators did not care as the core features brought the income to the locations. Collectors were different at the time.

So it's a "different time" today?

Quoted from o-din:

Some are still a little butthurt that they removed the drop target from Dirty Harry and the sinking institute from Earthshaker, or even the third magnet from TZ. Or how bout that middle pop bumper on Bally Freedom? But that did not stop them from dropping plenty of quarters to play them.

I'll drop plenty of quarters into any pinball machine for fun. It's a little different dropping huge stacks of Hundies on a pin to own.

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps the time has come again to actually wait and let something pay it's dues and become a collector's item on it's own merit, before getting overly excited about it or spending big bucks on it, unless it will be out there earning money as it is designed to do.

That's Old School brother. Those days are long gone Odiner.

#523 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then keep on buying those new "collectors edition" pinball machines before you even play it, and be happy with whatever you get.

Gotta have some faith my brother.

#576 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

NANA, It keeps Stern for stealing the Idea and actually making it work! What a slap in the face that would be!

Actually the patent is worthless unless JJP can make the product commercially viable

And obviously they cant

#612 6 years ago

Hmmm...he seems to dismiss the pre order customers and oh well it doesn't matter, non Pinside people will buy Potc for xmas and never even knew about the spinning discs.

What a load of shit. The visionary and "chief cheerleader". Keep on raising prices, taking stuff out, and see how that works out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-second-guessing-their-jjp-potc-preorder?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.